Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
honey i shrunk the regulars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

Bernardo Orel posted:

Isn't that plot for some really old and terrible movie?

Fantastic Voyage

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't like this Tower of God/Venture Brothers crossover

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

"oh, wow" - soul eating fish, 2017

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Guardian: "No souls allowed beyond this point! Anything to declare?"

Bam: "Hey those millions of souls aren't mine, I'm keeping them for a friend. Can I get them back?"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the gatekeepers make even less sense than most things in the tower. did they exist before enryu killed the guardian and it became the floor of death or what

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Baam nonchalantly giving up his own soul instead of the million extra he has. I actually like it though, he's definitely feeling himself lately especially now that he's just casually throwing out black holes instead of trying any reverse flow control.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Coffee Mugshot posted:

Baam nonchalantly giving up his own soul instead of the million extra he has. I actually like it though, he's definitely feeling himself lately especially now that he's just casually throwing out black holes instead of trying any reverse flow control.

His black holes will he his new (casual) signature move that baffles other people, after the reverse flow control and near endless bangs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

nimby posted:

His black holes will he his new (casual) signature move that baffles other people, after the reverse flow control and near endless bangs.

To be fair, the reverse flow control baffled people because it was a hard technique that no other regulars at Baam's level could do. But, while still hard, it's no longer completely unheard of at his current level, so it makes sense he'd need a new "WOW HOW'D YOU DO THAT" move.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I was sort of hoping that would be the shinsoo sword

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

I was sort of hoping that would be the shinsoo sword

I imagine that a shinsoo sword is the sort of technique that is actually easy but no one does it because they can just use a Needle instead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it was portrayed as totally broken when he did it and swords are generally considered bad on higher floors because they're harder to move in shinsoo. its why people use needles

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

"I have to read his comic."

Pretty much sums up these latest developments.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Hell Joe in the last panel is great. I wonder if we'll actually get some answers about Baam next week.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Kyoujin posted:

Hell Joe in the last panel is great. I wonder if we'll actually get some answers about Baam next week.

I wonder if we will like those answers.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Bernardo Orel posted:

I am guessing we won't, if we get to know them. Often times long standing questions are better off left unanswered, because the mystery is part of the appeal.

Although the ToG writing is good enough that time also anticipating to have guessed incorrectly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Theres no reason she actually knows anyway

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I don't like how everything points to Baam being result of some Emily-like ignition weapon experiment, which would mean that fug is behind absolutely everything.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I still think Baam is something different. FUG wishes they could create something that can use shinsu the same way Jahad does.

Useless Name
May 3, 2005

Bernardo Orel posted:

I don't like how everything points to Baam being result of some Emily-like ignition weapon experiment, which would mean that fug is behind absolutely everything.

How could Baam be something created by FUG? He's an irregular, with special rules that no one in FUG could get around. The reason Baam grew up in a cave has been a secret for a long time, I think it's fine that the story is going to give us some reveals, while introducing a new character that would make sense to know some of the secrets of the tower.

That Garam knew about The 25th Baam before does make sense, we've seen others who would have inside knowledge give him some sort of support or interest, Jiana Zahard and Po Gustang would seem like other characters that have supported Baam and would know something more about him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i wonder what the secret about Jahad is since its not someone rebelling against the hierarchy of the tower

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bernardo Orel posted:

He's the Second Coming, that's why he's called "25th Night". It is another Jesus metaphor.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Mulva posted:

He's the Second Coming, that's why he's called "25th Night". It is another Jesus metaphor.

He can perform miraculous feats that nobody can believe, has the power to befriend just about anyone, is way too forgiving of his enemies and 'died' because he trusted the wrong person.

Checks out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In terms of possibilities for Baam, I'm okay with most of the ones that aren't "people inside the Tower created him as part of an ignition weapon experiment or whatever", because that would be super lame.

Things I would be okay with:
- Baam was created by the Tower itself
- Baam is somehow related to some other major figure like Jahad
- Baam is just some bizarre entity like Phantaminum (in the sense of just being a weird thing that isn't necessarily related to anything else)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe Baam is an ignition weapon, but created by Jahad's group. Like the 13 month weapons, but a failure that got discarded before they entered the tower? The very first one, perhaps.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

nimby posted:

Maybe Baam is an ignition weapon, but created by Jahad's group. Like the 13 month weapons, but a failure that got discarded before they entered the tower? The very first one, perhaps.

I don't think Jahad or any of his group were skilled at making weapons/items; that's why they had that dude I forget the name of make weapons/items for them (and I think that guy made the 13 month weapons).

That being said, it's definitely possible for Baam to be some sort of ignition weapon (though a bunch of other stuff is also possible); I just think it would be kinda lame given all the foreshadowing about how bizarre Baam is.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Honestly based on his name I've thought Baam was part of a cycle that is just part of the workings of the Tower for basically as long as we've known about regulars and irregulars.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Honestly based on his name I've thought Baam was part of a cycle that is just part of the workings of the Tower for basically as long as we've known about regulars and irregulars.

I think that would make sense; like he's the "night" that comes before the status quo of the tower is changed or something. Though that would sort of indicate that some other major figure who changed the Tower like Jahad or something was the 24th Baam (and from what we understand, it sounds like nothing much happened in the Tower in terms of outsiders influencing it until Jahad and his party).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I think that would make sense; like he's the "night" that comes before the status quo of the tower is changed or something. Though that would sort of indicate that some other major figure who changed the Tower like Jahad or something was the 24th Baam (and from what we understand, it sounds like nothing much happened in the Tower in terms of outsiders influencing it until Jahad and his party).

Oh ya there are definitely problems with it, I just really like it.

Plus it opens up the vaguely poetic thing that Rachel cannot see the stars without night coming to the tower :v:

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
If there was some prophecy about Baam arriving at the tower then that would explain what Yuri Jahad was doing at the first floor of the tower when he opened the door. If you think about how long it takes to move around the tower even for a princess of Jahad and that Yuri seemed to know there would be an irregular entering the tower and get down in time to meet him it should tell you that something is going on that we aren't being told about.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It turns out that The Twenty-Fifth Baam was the friends we made along the way.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Ytlaya posted:

That is possible if you get real nerdy about the lore in TOG, since one if these guys is supposed to be in charge of the "Tower's story":

http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Axis_User

I remember reading differently about it before though, that there is an Axis User for the Tower but it's not Phantaminum (which is backed up in the Phantaminum wiki page).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hirethor posted:

That is possible if you get real nerdy about the lore in TOG, since one if these guys is supposed to be in charge of the "Tower's story":

http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Axis_User

I remember reading differently about it before though, that there is an Axis User for the Tower but it's not Phantaminum (which is backed up in the Phantaminum wiki page).

Axis Users sound like Featherine from Umineko. It doesn't sound like Baam is an Axis User from that description, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They should be ignored because siu has admitted it was a mistake. There is no way fug made baam though.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Wish there didn't have to be some mastermind that is orchestrating everything from the shadows. Whether it be Zahard, fug or Headon. But it's a bit inevitable at this point. Just want some cool tower climbing adventures featuring a talking gator.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Headon being the final boss would legit make me laugh out loud.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My guess is that the secret history of Baam is tied in closely with why Jahad stopped climbing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I'd like to see at some point is what these characters do when big events aren't happening. Like during the time-skips we're just told "they trained and took tests to climb" but I want some more detailed description of that. As big/expansive as the Tower is, we're only ever shown these small little areas near wherever exams are being held (or events like the Workshop Tournament/Hell Train). The entire name-steal station looked like it could fit within several square miles (though I understand that most of each floor is the Outer Tower, rather than the Inner Tower where the exams are held). SIU does a good job of making the Tower seem like this weird, alien/foreign place, but I think he could do more to illustrate the scale of everything.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Ytlaya posted:

Axis Users sound like Featherine from Umineko. It doesn't sound like Baam is an Axis User from that description, though.

Yeah I didn't mean that Baam could be an Axis user, but that there could be an Axis user directing Baam/Baam's Story.

I just wanted to point out that the current villain in this arc is names 'Joe', and the bad guy in Fury Road is named 'Joe'... Fury Road is incredible thus...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well already had more answers than i was probably expecting