Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

Are independents allowed to get involved in BEs or do they have to wait for GEs?

They can stand buddy. You better check this for yourself, but I'm sure if you hurry and start renting a flat in the constituency in the next week or so then you'll be eligible to give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Paxman posted:

They can stand buddy. You better check this for yourself, but I'm sure if you hurry and start renting a flat in the constituency in the next week or so then you'll be eligible to give it a go.

THats pretty cool. And they say the political class is too out of touch with everyday lives. What sort of MP was Gerald? Sounds like kinnock era to me?

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

THats pretty cool. And they say the political class is too out of touch with everyday lives. What sort of MP was Gerald? Sounds like kinnock era to me?

He was indeed Kinnock era and would almost certainly have been foreign secretary if Labour had won the 1992 election with Kinnock as leader.

He was firmly on the side of the reformers, or whatever one prefers to call them, in the 1980s.

He was a Jew. Also, an outspoken critic of Israel.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Baron Corbyn posted:

if Labour find a way to lose Manchester Gorton, it won't be to the government...

There's literally no chance of them losing though, they're defending a majority of 19,000 against the Greens. I expect to see a bit of a #libdemfightback because it went heavily remain.

I'll be so bummed if the Liberals beat the Greens into 2nd place. Honestly, I'd be quite OK with the Greens winning the seat. It'd be funny, but it'd also put a left-wing MP in Parliament while also giving Corbyn a defeat in an ultra-safe Labour seat that he surely couldn't come back from. The last time Labour got under 50% there was at a 1967 by-election. Last time they lost the seat was in the great collapse of '31.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Someone post the "The Lib Dems Aren't Going To Save You" article again

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I'll be so bummed if the Liberals beat the Greens into 2nd place. Honestly, I'd be quite OK with the Greens winning the seat. It'd be funny, but it'd also put a left-wing MP in Parliament while also giving Corbyn a defeat in an ultra-safe Labour seat that he surely couldn't come back from. The last time Labour got under 50% there was at a 1967 by-election. Last time they lost the seat was in the great collapse of '31.

the kind of swing to lose them the seat would have to be even worse than the swings they got against them in Scotland in 2015, right?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
John McDonnell has had a meltdown.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Imagine if you posted about this eh? Got any polls? We're all waiting.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

That quote at the end where the anonymous MP says McDonnell has been undermining Corbyn, what's that about?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Except, y'know, it's pretty obvious that the usual suspects are gearing up for another run on the leadership. McDonnell's being a fair bit more tinfoil hat than necessary, I'd be stunned if folks are in cahoots with the Murdoch press and not just interested in the same end goal.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hand-fed baby bird posted:

Imagine if you posted about this eh? Got any polls? We're all waiting.

No new polls today but there will be some more before too long.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

No new polls today but there will be some more before too long.

Can't wait.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Are Labour's strategists too stupid to realise that things being "rigged" or "FAKE NEWS" sound exactly like they've been cadged from the American right to the British ear or do they just not care?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jBrereton posted:

Are Labour's strategists too stupid to realise that things being "rigged" or "FAKE NEWS" sound exactly like they've been cadged from the American right to the British ear or do they just not care?

Corbyn is the new populist bad boy in town

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbyn's weekly meeting with Labour MPs has been cancelled as he's taking the day off because he worked over the weekend.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn's weekly meeting with Labour MPs has been cancelled as he's taking the day off because he worked over the weekend.
Is this a joke

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It is not.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
jam waits for no man.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wish we had some 'hard left' politicians who weren't of pension age. And actually hard left.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
why are so many people right wing anyway? public opinion for things like nationalisation of railways is pretty high iirc

are they just so scared of immigrants that they'll accept whatever neoliberal bullshit as long as the browns are kept out?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

and i must meme posted:

why are so many people right wing anyway? public opinion for things like nationalisation of railways is pretty high iirc

are they just so scared of immigrants that they'll accept whatever neoliberal bullshit as long as the browns are kept out?

Far more people than you think are selfish cunts

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

and i must meme posted:

why are so many people right wing anyway?
The basic difference between the right and left as explained quite concisely by Stewart Lee is that the right believes the poor deserve to be poor and the rich deserve to be rich, and the left believe the opposite. Plenty of people who don't begrudge their management earning more than them out there if they think they have a shot at it themselves.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i don't believe stewart lee has ever explained concisely

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

and i must meme posted:

The only way to test this thesis would be to offer them a credible left-wing alternative and see if they support it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

i don't believe stewart lee has ever explained concisely
Sometimes he accidentally isn't joking, and does.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fangz posted:

Okay, do you understand what the mislabelling of debt represents? It represents people in the US packaging stuff like subprimes into apparently safe assets that are then sold on. The result is that banks, including UK banks, bought these 'toxic assets' that were labelled as safe when they weren't. How exactly does UK government policy change that? When the issue is literally financial products being mislabelled? I can't really see how without literally banning financial transactions with the US.

The way you are selectively quoting me makes it look like I am claiming regulations are irrelevant, when I am actually saying that regulations represent partial fixes, you can always regulate more (up to banning finance entirely), you might have a preference for more regulation than the labour centre believe in, but that's not a qualitative difference. If Labour didn't deregulate there wouldn't suddenly be no more recessions. All regulation is a cost-benefit analysis. An actual qualitative difference would be to form a non-political panel to actually do a formal analysis of how regulations have effects and what the risk exposures are, but I guess you can't put that on a manifesto.

It seems a heck of a leap to jump from 'Brown misjudged the risks and should have regulated more' to 'Corbyn is the first politician in ages to care about poor people'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_of_1792

My impression of the financial crisis was one where the debts weren't even being mislabelled, but were packaged with non-toxic debts and then correctly labelled by the regulator given the strength of the banks that were buying and selling them. Unfortunately this ignored the systemic risk from the sheer numbers of these things being bandied about.

The problem wasn't one of anyone doing anything illegal so much as stretching the bounds of legality using flaws within the system.

The question then is what Brown could have done and my thought is "Push for Dodd Frank but ahead of the thing that made Dodd Frank exist."

The key to the financial crisis was a bunch of failings at the regulators alongside the banks acting in a way to maximise profit. How are you meant to prepare for a crisis that literally involves you consistently being told everything is fine?

JFairfax posted:

As for the Financial Crisis of 2008 it is important to note that there was regulation put in place after the crash of 1929 called the Glass-Stegal act which:

Lots of interesting stuff from wikipedia.

I mean, this ignores that there were recessions with Glass-Steagall in play. A lot of people go to Glass-Steagall as the magic bullet that would have stopped the financial crisis and to an extent they're right, the contagion resulting from the financial crisis would have been more limited with a seperation of investment and saving banks. However, the reason it was considered sensible to get rid of Glass-Steagall is that in allowing investment banks to diversify their operations, each investment bank became individually more stable.

What I'm basically leading up to is this: Given that the failure to classify subprime correctly was a result of failings at the regulator, investment banks would have almost certainly have fallen into this trap with or without Glass-Steagall.

In a world with Glass-Steagall, each investment bank would have been smaller, so Lehman's collapse for example would have been less bad on an individual basis. But equally, given each investment bank would be less diverse, they would be more liable to collapse from a smaller shock.

So I guess the question is do you want one big collapse or lots of small collapses and how does one quantify what's worse than the other.

To be clear, my understanding of the financial crisis is limited (everyone's is and will be for a long time), but I think this is a fair assessment.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

and i must meme posted:

They don't accept neoliberal bullshit - support for nationalization is still widespread. It's just less important to them than their need for a group it's safe to despise and blame and attack. That can be browns or communists or gays or treehuggers or unemployed people or (as we have recently discovered) disabled people. I think it just can't be rich people because they're too well protected and remote. Without some way to hurt them, there's no joy in hating them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The question then is what Brown could have done and my thought is "Push for Dodd Frank but ahead of the thing that made Dodd Frank exist."

Good thing trump has repealed this while being helpfully watched by a former Goldman Sachs COO

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OijPrseKNhM

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me posted:

They don't accept neoliberal bullshit - support for nationalization is still widespread. It's just less important to them than their need for a group it's safe to despise and blame and attack. That can be browns or communists or gays or treehuggers or unemployed people or (as we have recently discovered) disabled people. I think it just can't be rich people because they're too well protected and remote. Without some way to hurt them, there's no joy in hating them.
You can get people to hate the rich if you call them (((globalists))), but this has historically had some repercussions.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Jose posted:

Good thing trump has repealed this while being helpfully watched by a former Goldman Sachs COO

It's honestly really depressing. Dodd Frank is overblown as hell, don't get me wrong, but it's well intentioned and has decent fundamental principles behind it. It just needed tweaking to be a genuinely good piece of regulation for the promotion of financial stability.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Dodd Frank needed to be repealed and Glass Stiegel reinstated. Dodd Frank was full of so many intentional holes and weak fundamentals it was barely even a token gesture.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/836154494870241280

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/836163287171620865

The Labour leadership really are a farce.

ukle fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 27, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Here, have another reason for Neo-Liberalism killing the global economy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxBvbLq5MEg

Talks about the US, as well as Japan, the UK and the EU.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kokoro Wish posted:

Dodd Frank needed to be repealed and Glass Stiegel reinstated. Dodd Frank was full of so many intentional holes and weak fundamentals it was barely even a token gesture.

There's a reason Dodd Frank existed instead of Glass Stiegel though, and the answer to that is "The Wall Street Lobby". In the words of Mark Blythe, if you tried to bring back Glass Stiegel, Jamie Dimon drops $1 billion on the laps of his lobbyists and gets it to go away forever.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

John said of those seeking to topple Jeremy 'It is more important to them that they regain control of the Party than it is to win elections.'

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Breath Ray posted:

John said of those seeking to topple Jeremy 'It is more important to them that they regain control of the Party than it is to win elections.'

Given the poo poo that Neo-Lberals pulled with the Democratic party primary and general election campaign, this is absolutely true for most centrists internationally.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
So it's almost like most people would like a voice to represent them and are less fussed about winning elections

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A voice to represent them... nowhere... because they aren't elected to positions of responsibility...

• Locked thread