Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Supremezero posted:

... weird. Upgrading Black Getter before getting Shin Getter upgraded Shin Getter, even though you keep Black Getter. That... normally doesn't happen in these games, I think.

Nah there are plenty of times in the series when a unit will pass down upgrades even if you keep it.

For example the Zeta and Destiny Gundams in Z1 will get all the upgrades you give the Gundam Mk. II and Impulse respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Nah there are plenty of times in the series when a unit will pass down upgrades even if you keep it.

For example the Zeta and Destiny Gundams in Z1 will get all the upgrades you give the Gundam Mk. II and Impulse respectively.

In one of the most infamous cases upgrading the Strike Gundam passes its upgrades along to every single vaguely related SEED unit you get afterwards despite the Strike hanging around itself.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

You get them later in the game.

When do you get them without DLC

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

Same thing happened in Z3. I welcome this addition, esp. if we get more English SRWs.
Not only that but both Z3-1 and 3-2, and they're different than each other. It's an absolutely ridiculous amount of extra talky, and often hilarious.

Speaking of extra talky bits, I often wish that there was a way to play the save and quit skits other than just doing it during combat, since I really don't do that very much.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of extra talky bits, I often wish that there was a way to play the save and quit skits other than just doing it during combat, since I really don't do that very much.
You can view the ones you've already seen in the Library at least. They're called "Interruption Messages" for whatever reason.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

You can view the ones you've already seen in the Library at least. They're called "Interruption Messages" for whatever reason.
Yeah, and yeah, that matches the Japanese. The concept come from portable games, I think.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish I could put Graham in a better mech to fully use his "The Ultimate" skill.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Okay, I tried imputing the code for the DLC, but nothing happened. What am I supposed to do to get it to work?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wokow6 posted:

Okay, I tried imputing the code for the DLC, but nothing happened. What am I supposed to do to get it to work?

You're not using a US account for it, right?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"I guess no one remembers me a hundred years from now..."
"Sure Hathaway, sure..."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

"I guess no one remembers me a hundred years from now..."
"Sure Hathaway, sure..."
I really like that entire angle they do with Tobia. It really gives him that something extra his character was lacking in the Crossbone manga.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Day 1: Holy poo poo, Gravity Wave Beam has infinite range.
Day 2: Holy poo poo, the Black Selena's Custom Bonus gives it a Gravity Wave Antennae!
Day 3: HOLY poo poo GRAVITY WAVE ANTENNAE IS A POWER PART

And with that, Kappei got the "kill 10 enemies in 1 stage" trophy by Moon Attacking 5 times a turn for 5 turns straight.

Since Akurasu hasn't updated, yet:
Black Selena: Gains Gravity Wave Antennae ability. Move +1.
Mightgaine: Drive Wheel Sword weapons +250 attack power. EN +50. Move + 1.
nu Gundam: Newtype weapons have increased attack power, depending on the Newtype level of the pilot.
Unicorn Gundam: Newtype weapons have increased attack power, depending on the Newtype level of the pilot.
00 QAN[T]: Allies within 2 spaces are unaffected by special weapons. EN +100.
Crossbone Gundam X-1 Kai Kai: All CQB weapons gain Barrier Buster and CRT is increased by 30.
Gundam ZZ: Hi Mega Cannon weapons cost 20 less EN and require 10 less Focus.
Zambot 3: Zambot Moon Attack is always a critical hit on Night and Space maps.
VangRay: +1 Power Parts slot.
Space Battleship Yamato: +1 Power Parts slot.
Nadesico: Gravity Blast weapons cost 25 less EN. EN +80.
Great Mazinger: Armor +300. EN +50.
Black Getter: All weapons gain S Rank on all terrain types.

Soji: +10% Damage. +1 Move.
Maito: 100 TacP from President.

I'm doing this manually, so please post whatever custom and ace bonuses you don't see, here. This is my first truly blind playthrough of an SRW which feels really cool, but I'm always worried I'm gonna upgrade or ace somebody who has a really lame bonus.

Also, Nine's Encouragement is the most broken item in the game. Nobody has Valor yet, but I set up a 23k damage single hit from a level 23 Mightgaine using the NE Bravery cast and Smash Hit.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 27, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Did that Nadesico game show what Saburouta was like back when he was a hardcore super robot groupie like the rest of the Jovian special forces guys? His description says the way he is now is not even a shadow of how he was then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean to be fair the Cross Ange crew are all essentially lepers who were forced to fight giant dragons in barely up to par mechs. I think they're allowed to be kinda lovely people. It's what makes them kinda a cool cast, to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

I mean to be fair the Cross Ange crew are all essentially lepers who were forced to fight giant dragons in barely up to par mechs. I think they're allowed to be kinda lovely people. It's what makes them kinda a cool cast, to me.
Did I miss why they are all women or is it just "because anime"?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Only women can be Norma (people without the ability to use magic), which is why Arzenal is only women, since it's staffed by norma. The reason why only women can be norma is never really explained, but considering the setting's god is the walking manifestation of the madonna-whore complex, you can probably just blame him and call it a day.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

Only women can be Norma (people without the ability to use magic), which is why Arzenal is only women, since it's staffed by norma. The reason why only women can be norma is never really explained, but considering the setting's god is the walking manifestation of the madonna-whore complex, you can probably just blame him and call it a day.
Yeah it's that second part I wanted to know.

Still though I'm gonna go with "because anime" for the most part.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah it's that second part I wanted to know.

Still though I'm gonna go with "because anime" for the most part.

You'd basically be right. You could argue that it's a sexism argument made by the director, but honestly the racism is pretty much 99% of the focus for most of the show, whereas sexism is basically "just the main villain"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Does the X-1 Kai Kai ever upgrade into the Full Cloth?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did that Nadesico game show what Saburouta was like back when he was a hardcore super robot groupie like the rest of the Jovian special forces guys? His description says the way he is now is not even a shadow of how he was then.

Saburouta shows up in the series as an ace pilot and fights the Nadesico a few times. I only realized they were the same person because of Shinichiro Miki's voice.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GimmickMan posted:

Saburouta shows up in the series as an ace pilot and fights the Nadesico a few times. I only realized they were the same person because of Shinichiro Miki's voice.
Oh, huh. I guess it's been a long time since I've seen Nadesico.

Catherine Biton has got to be the least threatening super robot villain ever. At worst she only ever seems slightly angry, and the pink kittens on her shoulder pads are winking!

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 27, 2017

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I can't believe Saburota gave up believing in anime and became a memester.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
*gets the Bonta-kun secret scenario*

... all of Bonta-kun's attacks have Focus Down.

That's hilarious.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Supremezero posted:

*gets the Bonta-kun secret scenario*

... all of Bonta-kun's attacks have Focus Down.

That's hilarious.

It's very demoralizing to get beaten up by such a cute hamsterbearcatdog.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I always liked to imagine what was going on when pilots used the demoralize seishin. Excellen probably teases them, Izumi tells awful puns until they want to scream, and Rei just stares at them unblinking.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

EthanSteele posted:

It's very demoralizing to get beaten up by such a cute hamsterbearcatdog.

Mousebear!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Does the X-1 Kai Kai ever upgrade into the Full Cloth?

No; the full cloth inherits the upgrades but they're kept as two separate units.

Missed out on the secret free money and parts level again; maybe it's because I missed two SR points on the way there ...?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, huh. I guess it's been a long time since I've seen Nadesico.

Catherine Biton has got to be the least threatening super robot villain ever. At worst she only ever seems slightly angry, and the pink kittens on her shoulder pads are winking!

The point of the Might Gaine guys seems to be that most of them are basically harmless despite being super robot villains which seems to play into the plot.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You're not using a US account for it, right?

I am. I guess I should be using another account?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

wokow6 posted:

You probably need to use it on an account in a region where the DLC is available; i.e. make a Singapore PSN account and enter the code to grab the DLC that way.

You'll still have access I'm pretty sure (source: bought the DLC packs on my SGN account and they work fine on my US account)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wokow6 posted:

You need an account in the region the game came from in order to use DLC codes, yes.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Whew, finally got that skill point on Stage 16 Japan. I got a skit after where Nine talked about how many dudes Akito shot down and I got bonus TacP from it. I am finding that Xi is amazing at softening up units thanks to its absurd move range once you get the half upgrade bonus. I'm having a hard time acing people though - Chitose got hers so easily but I need to feed more kills I guess.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You need an account in the region the game came from in order to use DLC codes, yes.

Ugh, I hate switch PSN accounts with my Vita. Guess I'll just play without the DLC for now.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Endorph posted:

I think it's the fact most of the negativity is centered around them that makes it kinda unbearable. If we had OYW Amuro and Kai or early series ZZ running around, then it'd be at least spread out about the cast more evenly. As it stands you have a ton of familiar characters that are settled into post series attitudes that most players are used to, then you have the CA girls show up and become eternally flowing wellsprings of Mad and it sticks out real bad. The fact that SRW writing isn't exactly top notch doesn't help, and neither does having characters from other series talking about how awful/annoying/unlikable the girls are nearly every time it happens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Whew, finally got that skill point on Stage 16 Japan. I got a skit after where Nine talked about how many dudes Akito shot down and I got bonus TacP from it. I am finding that Xi is amazing at softening up units thanks to its absurd move range once you get the half upgrade bonus. I'm having a hard time acing people though - Chitose got hers so easily but I need to feed more kills I guess.

The path splits and sub-orders help a lot. I went from having 2 aces to having 30 (what you need for the trophy) in like 5 stages near the end.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

The path splits and sub-orders help a lot. I went from having 2 aces to having 30 (what you need for the trophy) in like 5 stages near the end.

Do the enemy counts really ramp up? It's tough to see much real progress when you field 14 units and there are 25 enemies on a map. I haven't gotten access to Suborders yet but that always does help in the other games.

Does Vangrey upgrade at some point? It's pretty incredible as it is right now (which is why Chitose's Ace was so easy) but some more variety is nice. Yes I am the guy who watches animations constantly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I gotta say that if you're going to include Cross Ange and Embryo in the game, having literally every playable female in the cast chew him out on being a worthless loser and having Leonard Testarossa call you 'creepy' and, I quote, an 'odious wretch' is probably the correct way to go about it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I can't decide whether if you dislike the Cross Ange crew early on in the game you'll either enjoy what happens later or see it as only making things worse

For what it's worth though you're clearly hating the right people, since it is true that Vivian and Ersha are actually Good and Cool

also I'm not totally sure whether Hilda being even more of a turbo-bitch at first is for the best, I kinda think she was at the exact right level of being a jerk for how she starts redeeming it later on in the show itself, so her being worse might dampen that a bit unless she really pulls off something spectacular

Anyway, verdict on the originals? I feel like the protagonists have a little more life to them than in a while, but I'm not sure about the villains, they're sorta...there-seeming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Do the enemy counts really ramp up? It's tough to see much real progress when you field 14 units and there are 25 enemies on a map. I haven't gotten access to Suborders yet but that always does help in the other games.

Does Vangrey upgrade at some point? It's pretty incredible as it is right now (which is why Chitose's Ace was so easy) but some more variety is nice. Yes I am the guy who watches animations constantly.

Enemy counts ramp up, you get a ton of free offscreen skills during path splits, and Proud Ace becomes something you can reliably smash TacP on and that saves a lot of time.

It does upgrade and at least one of its upgrade choices is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Levantine posted:

Yes, the enemy counts start ramping up as you get closer to the end.

The protag mech takes awhile to get its upgrade, it comes maybe 60% of the way through the game. It also gets another move pretty late as well.

One of the upgrades really bugs me visually and I won't pick it in future runs probably, but that's just personal taste; they're both good.

• Locked thread