Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
After seeing ads I'm super glad I was an early enough adopter to have bought the premium upgrade when it was just a one-off purchase and not a subscription. So I don't get the file uploading, but I also don't have to deal with ads. I think if I was looking for a podcast app right now, I'd probably go with Pocket Casts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

After seeing ads I'm super glad I was an early enough adopter to have bought the premium upgrade when it was just a one-off purchase and not a subscription. So I don't get the file uploading, but I also don't have to deal with ads. I think if I was looking for a podcast app right now, I'd probably go with Pocket Casts.

Yeah, I used Overcast for years but was never super happy with the design or functionality. I switched to Pocket Casts and love it. The way it does Up Next fits perfect for how I listen to podcasts.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Until someone else makes their podcast app not have robot voices on anything faster than 1x, I'm never switching from Overcast. :colbert:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Until someone else makes their podcast app not have robot voices on anything faster than 1x, I'm never switching from Overcast. :colbert:
I never started using speed adjustment on podcasts 'til I moved to Overcast but yeah, their 1.1x with Smart Speed on podcasts where it makes sense (anything but comedy or language study) sounds totally natural.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I never started using speed adjustment on podcasts 'til I moved to Overcast but yeah, their 1.1x with Smart Speed on podcasts where it makes sense (anything but comedy or language study) sounds totally natural.

That's normally my setup. But on really long podcasts (3+ hours), I go 1.5x, I've poked with 2x and there's still no robotic distortion. Marco's tech is good.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I always do 1.5x. Never an issue.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The file uploading feature is basically useless anyway.

If you have radio tapes or anything like that you really need to use Apple Podcasts and iTunes syncing.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Anyone get the beats x yet?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

jaegerx posted:

I've a pair. Think airpods with better isolation, swappable tips, more bass (less than beats typically have) and a neck wire.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got them and I like them a lot. Very much recommended. Definitely the best Bluetooth ear buds I've used though that's a low bar.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

The file uploading feature is basically useless anyway.

If you have radio tapes or anything like that you really need to use Apple Podcasts and iTunes syncing.

I use it all the time for audiobooks, works really well in my opinion.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

Haven't had this problem since I paid for version 1. I don't have any issues with swiping cards, either, but I'm rarely looking at the full player. My only complaint is I can't swipe to delete things, but two taps (vs. swipe and tap), isn't really a big difference.

The best thing about not being able to swipe to delete things is that now you can actually mark multiple things to delete at once now from the edit selection.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

jaegerx posted:

They sound pretty good, they accentuate bass, but not to the crazy extent of past Beats. They're comfortable too, although I think they'll still benefit from Comply tips. The only downside is the amount of cable noise you get from them. I've used nothing but supra and circumaural headphones for years now, so the cable noise is really noticeable to me.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Gunder posted:

supra and circumaural headphones
Are these both really awesome or something? (I'm looking for a bluetooth headset for my laptop...I'm currently using a 15year old pair of Bose)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Are these both really awesome or something? (I'm looking for a bluetooth headset for my laptop...I'm currently using a 15year old pair of Bose)

It just means on-ear/over-ear.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
A friend has just emailed me a bunch of photos from our last holiday holiday to add in to a photo album I'm making. Is there any way to make an album on iCloud sort by date rather than manually? Also, the ones they emailed don't have the little map of the GPS location where they were taken. Does email strip these out and, if so, how can I get the photos from her that keeps all that data? Airdrop?

Also, unrelated, but is there a nice convenient way to buy a song from a foreign iTunes store? The song I want isn't available in the UK store and I wanna get the song in my Music app today without access to my PC so I can use it in one of the Photos memories movies things.

edit: Okay so I've made a Memories video based off a photo album and I want to make a slight change, but I can't find that Memory anywhere! If I go to the original album it's just auto generating a new video with none of the music or photo selection changes I've made. Nothing in the Memories tab lines up to the one I just made.
doublt edit: Seems like you have to scroll to the bottom of the album and hit "Add to Memories", otherwise the one you work on when it asks "Do you want this saved as a Memory so you can edit it?" doesn't actually seem to get made at all.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 23, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I have a very minor annoyance with my iPhone that I can't seem to find a solution for, so I was wondering if anyone here has experienced it. When I'm at work (and ONLY when I'm at work) in front of my iMac, my iPhone does not go off when I receive a text message. I'll pull my phone out of my pocket and see like 5 texts from my wife. No sound, no vibration, nothing.

I tried disabling iMessage on my iMac, but nothing has changed since then. Is there anything else I can try? Does it have anything to do with that handoff feature?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Google finally updated Gboard. Thank gently caress

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

namaste faggots posted:

Google finally updated Gboard. Thank gently caress

Yeah and it has voice dictation support now! This is a godsend .. it actually works, vs Apple tech.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah and it has voice dictation support now! This is a godsend .. it actually works, vs Apple tech.

Really? I found it awkward and inaccurate compared to the system dictation.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
gently caress, I finally got hit with the Bluetooth issues and insane battery drain on my 6S. Was all fine until early last week. Even updated it halfway through that time and it didn't do any good.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

ManSedan posted:

Really? I found it awkward and inaccurate compared to the system dictation.

System dictation is worthless for me. It screws up a word or two each time for me and it seems to have no contextual awareness. Two and to. To and too. Many others as well.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Works for me hope this helps

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Have third party keyboards finally become reliable? If so I may finally give Gboard another shot.

edit: Unrelated - is it just me or does Overcast fall out of iOS's memory very quickly when paused after the recent update? Now it seems like if I pause it with my headphones while locked then come back to my phone a few minutes later it's not ready to keep playing and needs to reload.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 24, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Have third party keyboards finally become reliable? If so I may finally give Gboard another shot.

edit: Unrelated - is it just me or does Overcast fall out of iOS's memory very quickly when paused after the recent update? Now it seems like if I pause it with my headphones while locked then come back to my phone a few minutes later it's not ready to keep playing and needs to reload.

3.0.2 was just put out. Probably fixes what you mentioned. I did notice it on 3.0 earlier today.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

8-bit Miniboss posted:

3.0.2 was just put out. Probably fixes what you mentioned. I did notice it on 3.0 earlier today.
Updated to 3.0.2 a few hours ago but it's still been happening so far. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon-ish!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's still happening to me too on 3.0.2

Very annoying

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ok well this is a pain, though I can see the security reasons why. 1Password doesn't let third-party keyboards access it - meaning I can't just straight up remove the stock keyboard from my list. Do apps still have a terrible habit of occasionally defaulting back to that keyboard away from third party ones if they're one of the options?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Look into your heart and you will see the answer.

(no)

e: All the old bugs are still there

- Often takes ages to appear
- Sometimes needs several attempts to appear
- Sometimes unresponsive
- Often defaults to stock, even if a custom list is set with that at the bottom

Overall they work nice when they work, but the glitches are often enough to make it feel like a lovely 2005 symbian phone, not a 2015-2017 flagship smartphone.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 24, 2017

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Khablam posted:

Look into your heart and you will see the answer.

(no)

e: All the old bugs are still there

- Often takes ages to appear
- Sometimes needs several attempts to appear
- Sometimes unresponsive
- Often defaults to stock, even if a custom list is set with that at the bottom

Overall they work nice when they work, but the glitches are often enough to make it feel like a lovely 2005 symbian phone, not a 2015-2017 flagship smartphone.
Ugh. :(

Genuinely all I want is for the default keyboard to support swipe input and maybe emoji search.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ok well this is a pain, though I can see the security reasons why. 1Password doesn't let third-party keyboards access it - meaning I can't just straight up remove the stock keyboard from my list. Do apps still have a terrible habit of occasionally defaulting back to that keyboard away from third party ones if they're one of the options?

Actually, you can still remove the stock iOS keyboard. It will default to the really bad system-level one that doesn't have predictions or autocorrect or anything.

In my experience using Word Flow, the only other time I see that keyboard is when replying to messages on the lock screen. Which is really annoying.

But otherwise, I really have very few issues with using an alternate keyboard on my 7+. I imagine the extra GB of RAM is helping a lot with it, though.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
3rd Party keyboards are great now. I hadn't seen the stock keyboard in months until yesterday when GBoard updated, causing it to get hidden until I toggled it back off/on once.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Are there any third party keyboards that let me long press a key on the qwerty row to type a number? It's the only thing from android keyboards that I miss.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ugh. :(

Genuinely all I want is for the default keyboard to support swipe input and maybe emoji search.

We have emoji search now, though...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ah this Google keyboard doesnt have force touch to select text. Bye!

It also doesn't seem to support the OS-level keyboard shortcuts you can set.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ah this Google keyboard doesnt have force touch to select text. Bye!

It also doesn't seem to support the OS-level keyboard shortcuts you can set.

Also doesn't have two-finger touchpad cursor on iPad. :-(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Deleted!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My SE seems to have a bit of a problem with its headphone jack. Whenever I plug them in, it automatically starts an audio app like Podcasts or iBooks (not sure how it chooses which one) as it detects headphones, and sometimes starts playing automatically for some reason. Intended?

Also a more severe issue is that if I make a call with the headphones in, after the call the headphones go dead. I can't hear anything through them. The play/pause and volume buttons still function normally. The microphone also stops working so no sound either way. A reboot solves this but clearly this isn't supposed to happen.

While the headphones work (after a reboot), if I make a call through Siri it still works afterwards though. It's only through manually making a call that it seems to screw up. I'm still under warranty so is this fixable by some simple way or do I have to take it in somewhere?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So after a week and a half of using BeatsX, I can say: They are good. Sound is solid, battery life is as advertised as are the quick-charging times. Connectivity is the best I've had with Bluetooth, by far. The audio isn't as colored as Beats tend to be, which is good, though you can always adjust the EQ if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How's the sync for video?