Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Saw a Lexus SUV with a snorkel today, the first time I've ever seen one in the wild. I'm sure it comes in real handy when you have to ford that stream on the way to Publix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Had a double like that some years ago. I was driving a 1 ton loaded with firewood on a two lane (and doing 55ish in a 65) and some butthead started passing me on a curve. Much to everybody's surprise, around the corner an oncoming car is being passed by another butthead. I went to the shoulder, the other guy being passed did the same, and the butthead twins took the actual lanes. We literally were 4 wide for a fraction of a second. I just muttered 'loving hell' and kept rolling.

The really stupid part of it all is that on either end of the curve is a couple miles of straight level road with plenty visiblity for passing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sM-NO99eIs

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

dee eight posted:

Had a double like that some years ago. I was driving a 1 ton loaded with firewood on a two lane (and doing 55ish in a 65) and some butthead started passing me on a curve. Much to everybody's surprise, around the corner an oncoming car is being passed by another butthead. I went to the shoulder, the other guy being passed did the same, and the butthead twins took the actual lanes. We literally were 4 wide for a fraction of a second. I just muttered 'loving hell' and kept rolling.

The really stupid part of it all is that on either end of the curve is a couple miles of straight level road with plenty visiblity for passing.

I'm shocked it's not more common. I've never seen it. I know I've taken risky passes, but those are things with like 5 seconds to spare until the oncoming traffic comes. I have something like 400,000 miles under my belt of driving so I like think I'm pretty safe and experienced. Within the past two years I've had two people hit my cars. Those were $2000-$4000 cars though. This one is financed and worth like $11k. I am super sensitive towards nonsense because of it. One thing that I don't hear a lot of accident victims talk about is the near PTSD levels of anxiety when approaching an intersection with a car wanting to turn left in front of you. That's like a mini heart attack every time it happens lol.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 26, 2017

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The worst kind of road for those risky passes are 55 mph 2 lane roads. I try to avoid passing in those situations because judging distance and speed of oncoming traffic is difficult especially when folks around here pretty regularly do 75-80 on those roads. Trying to pull a multi-car pass in that situation can easily result in closing speeds over 160 which eats up what looked like plenty of space in a real hurry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
gently caress passing on roads like that, except tractors.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The worst kind of road for those risky passes are 55 mph 2 lane roads. I try to avoid passing in those situations because judging distance and speed of oncoming traffic is difficult especially when folks around here pretty regularly do 75-80 on those roads. Trying to pull a multi-car pass in that situation can easily result in closing speeds over 160 which eats up what looked like plenty of space in a real hurry.

Hah. Huge chunks of Northern Nevada are 2 lane roads with speed limits of 65 and 70.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=002xyHVJgFo

That’s one way to get ground beef.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Multi car passes on a twolane are drat iffy anyways. You never know when 2nd or 3rd in line is going to decide to swing out and pass without checking a mirror.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

:smith:

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BMW/comments/5vtjyo/my_pride_and_joy_is_no_more_its_been_a_sad_day/ - This is just... dumb.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 26, 2017

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I know Redditors are infamous for being the paragons of idiocy on the internet, but this is just extra stupid. Never assume anything when driving in traffic.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I always stop and part traffic whenever I see important royalty coming through in a BMW.

Real lovely drivers: I drove 10miles on the highway, going the speed limit (IE speed of traffic -5) in the right lane the whole time, I am an rear end in a top hat. The worst part was that 4 different cars chose to pace me in the passing lane, creating a rolling road block for multiple miles. When that happened, I tried adjusting my speed to get the ignorant idiots to pass but drat it all I want to do is pick a speed and stick with it instead of the constant fight with people who want to go 10, 15, or 20 over in the passing lane.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 26, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like how BMW owners never use signals themselves, yet they assume that other cars are signaling to give way to them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hey man, he admits that he is partially to blame. For turning left in front of oncoming traffic. Haha..

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

Real lovely drivers: I drove 10miles on the highway, going the speed limit (IE speed of traffic -5) in the right lane the whole time, I am an rear end in a top hat.

In my experience (mostly from two weeks of commuting on a compact spare - I was the person living paycheck to paycheck you shared a road with) driving the speed limit in the right lane is waaaaaaaaaay more stressful than cruising above the limit in the middle lane and passing at will. You'll very quickly run up on someone driving well under the limit, and you can't pass them because either the middle lane is an unbroken stream of cars going 20+ mph faster than you or it's occupied by someone glued to your blindspot like you were complaining about. Now you're stuck there driving dangerously slowly; meanwhile, everyone entering the highway insists on merging into the space you happen to be occupying rather than the empty space ahead or behind you.

Speeding at 10-15 over where the only real stress is caused by the occasional left lane hog is a dream by comparison. I got really great gas mileage during those two weeks at least :unsmith:

Edit: Also it seems like no one who cruises in the right lane can maintain a constant speed to save their lives, so even if you aren't stuck behind someone going way under the limit you'll get stuck behind someone constantly varying from 5 under to 5 over which is even more annoying.

Theris fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 26, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Hah. Huge chunks of Northern Nevada are 2 lane roads with speed limits of 65 and 70.

Lot of those in rural Colorado as well. Gotta punch it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Content:

Instead of using the front tow hook mount and running rope through the eye bolt (or using a more suitable vehicle in general), a neighbor rigged up this Home Depot special. The nylon strap just looks like it's ran under the hood, which you can see is already getting pulled up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

LongSack posted:

Saw a Lexus SUV with a snorkel today, the first time I've ever seen one in the wild. I'm sure it comes in real handy when you have to ford that stream on the way to Publix.

The two BOF lexus suvs are rebanded land cruisers (the smaller one is a prado).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

The Locator posted:

Hey man, he admits that he is partially to blame. For turning left in front of oncoming traffic. Haha..

Somehow I missed that part hahaha loving hell what a dumbass.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Theris posted:

In my experience (mostly from two weeks of commuting on a compact spare - I was the person living paycheck to paycheck you shared a road with) driving the speed limit in the right lane is waaaaaaaaaay more stressful than cruising above the limit in the middle lane and passing at will. You'll very quickly run up on someone driving well under the limit, and you can't pass them because either the middle lane is an unbroken stream of cars going 20+ mph faster than you or it's occupied by someone glued to your blindspot like you were complaining about. Now you're stuck there driving dangerously slowly; meanwhile, everyone entering the highway insists on merging into the space you happen to be occupying rather than the empty space ahead or behind you. .

You shouldn't even have been going the speed limit on a temporary spare, certainly not for extended periods.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

dissss posted:

You shouldn't even have been going the speed limit on a temporary spare, certainly not for extended periods.

The standard ultra small spare tire is good for 80 kph and about 300 to 500 kilometres distance. Albeit at 4.2 Bar (420 kPa, 60 Psi) pressure.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Which is like 50mph. I'm assuming the speed limit on a multi lane road was a bit faster than that...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

The two BOF lexus suvs are rebanded land cruisers (the smaller one is a prado).

Doesn't some good have one, complete with a snorkel too?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mobby_6kl posted:

Doesn't some good have one, complete with a snorkel too?

None of the Lexus SUVs sold in the US have snorkles as far as I know, but putting one on isn't crazy.
In many cases the Lexus LX is cheaper used than the Land Cruiser of the same year for some reason, so it can make sense. I think the stock diffs may not be as nice.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://i.imgur.com/XP4DdlX.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

:itwaspoo:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

dissss posted:

Which is like 50mph. I'm assuming the speed limit on a multi lane road was a bit faster than that...

It was 55, urban freeway. And the spare was rated for 55.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yesterday I had a guy pass me on the right on a freeway off ramp. I feel like I've reached peak San Diego driving.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yesterday I had a guy pass me on the right on a freeway off ramp. I feel like I've reached peak San Diego driving.

can we guess what kind of car it was?

Mitsubishi Lancer

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

dissss posted:

I'm curious where you live. Here in NoVA literally the only roads above 55 are interstates.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AltbBamwfkM&t=54s

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Imagine having to explain to everyone in hell how you died in the parking lot of a Taco Bell.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Enjoy your stay in Angola shithead!

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah, sometimes when I'm done passing multiple cars on a 2 lane road I look down and I'm doing 150ish. Always safely of course.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You have to be careful with that too though, because you can be ticketed for speeding even if everyone agrees spending less time in the wrong lane is the safest option.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xzzy posted:

You have to be careful with that too though, because you can be ticketed for speeding even if everyone agrees spending less time in the wrong lane is the safest option.

I happen to know this from personal experience. I wasn't even going all that fast, but the oncoming headlights happened to be attached to a Montana State trooper car.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Being pulled over for completing an overtake as quickly as you can is some weapons-grade BS.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's just another example of how we're all guilty of some law every single moment we're alive.. so why loving bother. Just try to avoid killing people or pissing them off and you should do okay for the most part.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm curious where you live. Here in NoVA literally the only roads above 55 are interstates.

Other side of the world, most open road speed limits are 100km/h

I wouldn't even want to be doing 5 over 50mph on a spacesaver at any rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have seen a highway patrol camped out at the end of a passing lane after a long section of winding two lane. Add to that how the slower moving cars tend to speed up when faced with a long straight part of road. So you are stock behind someone crawling through the corners, then get to a nice open passing area and they speed up to the speed limit, so you wind up having to go pretty fast to get by this person who was just doing 50 in a 70.