Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
zootopia does that weird thing genre flicks do when they tell race allegories by making the metaphoric equivalent of a hated and feared minority literally dangerous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Only if it's chatting with extreme prejudice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52nlbEShbo

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cease to Hope posted:

zootopia does that weird thing genre flicks do when they tell race allegories by making the metaphoric equivalent of a hated and feared minority literally dangerous

Yeah

It's like how Avatar makes the minority standins literally not human

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Of course the crappy Disney movie won best animated film and not Kubo and the Two Strings. :mad:

ampas voters are largely white geriatrics, so they vote for the movie their grandkids liked

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cease to Hope posted:

except the predators tended to dominate the power structure of the city? the story seemed written in such a way to purposely prevent a simple one to one metaphor

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My wife is going to be in a bad mood tomorrow.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Cease to Hope posted:

https://medium.com/@gavinsaywhat/the-racial-politics-of-zootopia-e3ce14453209#.w863dn3iu

quote:

Scientific racism is wrong, not because it is impolite or even discriminatory and oppressive. It is wrong because it is scientifically invalid. There is no biological basis for human racial classifications, in spite of continued efforts on behalf of scientists to find it (seriously, dozens of studies are published every year). Racial categories are instead, to use a popular term, social constructs, meaning that they are products of human history, specifically, a history of violent oppression that erected a caste system of racialized populations that continues to be reproduced institutionally and ideologically to this day. Race is real, but not at the level of biological essence, therefore racism can be abolished along with specious racial categories through human endeavor. The social constructionist answer to why racism is wrong is not simply that it is immoral, although it obviously is. It’s that racial categories are ultimately arbitrary, created and recreated by exploitative systems, without any basis in genetics or any other biological ontology. The old nostrum that, deep down, we’re all the same, is, in this sense, absolutely true, and a powerful weapon against racist ideology.

However, in Zootopia this is not the case. As even the children who are ostensibly the film’s target market could tell you, there absolutely is a biological difference in the various animal species, and so the racialized categories the film imposes on them works in a very different way. These racial categories are backed up by biology, even if Zootopia’s liberal society has obviated these racial distinctions (though physical size still seems to matter, there are zero interracial couples, and there is a racialized division of labor — sloths at the DMV). If someone were to say, as people have and continue to do, that there is a “biological component” to criminal activity committed by black people, they would be wrong, because there is no biological component to blackness. However, in Zootopia, relying upon biological explanations has an element of plausibility, because at one point predatory species did kill and consume other animals, as is their nature. As a youth, Judy performs this primal scene in a play.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

except the predators tended to dominate the power structure of the city? the story seemed written in such a way to purposely prevent a simple one to one metaphor

'racism is over, because we had a lion president'

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
The Lion King is Shakespearean.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

exmarx posted:

'racism is over, because we had a lion president'

:jerkbag:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bueno Papi posted:

The Lion King is Shakespearean.

it's hamlet right?

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's hamlet right?

I assume so. It literally just hit me when I read exmarx's post. It's probably already been a known factor since forever but my dumb rear end never read about it.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
the mali epic of sundiata is about a boy named simba, who grows up to become "the lion king"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bueno Papi posted:

I assume so. It literally just hit me when I read exmarx's post. It's probably already been a known factor since forever but my dumb rear end never read about it.

i have no clue if it's something i heard before or if i made it up when i read your post

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Are Timon and Pumba there to represent Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, then?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Pirate Radar posted:

Are Timon and Pumba there to represent Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, then?

yeah, and lion king one and a half was a riff off rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

lion king two was romeo and juliet i think

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rodatose posted:

yeah, and lion king one and a half was a riff off rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

Oh cool, the more you know

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
So, I'm not uncouth swine. Thank you Rodatose.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rodatose posted:

I want them to do one that's secretly all three parts of "Henry VI." Just a total bummer.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a lion king lear

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Avshalom posted:

i'm a lion king lear

Next year's Oscars will be swept by your visionary film The Lion King and I, a gripping story about you and Ariel

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Majorian posted:

I want them to do one that's secretly all three parts of "Henry VI." Just a total bummer.

It can only work if you ham in cheery songs.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Pirate Radar posted:

Next year's Oscars will be swept by your visionary film The Lion King and I, a gripping story about you and Ariel

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

my first name is the most common name for american boys born in 1991
nice too meet you, terminator

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Ya" is never "oo". You might not be able to distinguish between "ya" and "waw", but that's a whole other issue.

My name is actually very uncommon even in Hebrew, and is extremely difficult for English-speakers to pronounce. :smaug:
have you tried writing it out in english for the anglos

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pull me under, I'm not afraid.
all that you feel is honour and spite

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
ordinary alhazred

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

exmarx posted:

my mac book pro with touch bar arrived 🤡

grats on your new mbp

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exmarx posted:

my mac book pro with touch bar arrived 🤡

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I like how Ben-Gurion's in black-and-white.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/colincampbell/status/835981327853830145

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxX2IkwrCLg

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Sounds like further proof that Trump is not some fluke but in fact the animus of the American people made manifest.

Good movie. Very accurate depiction of Germans.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
We need an Uber for guillotines, imo

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/27/silicon-aa-cost-of-living-crisis-has-americas-highest-paid-feeling-poor

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Cease to Hope posted:

Like angry birds

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Avshalom posted:

i'm a lion king lear

Lion king ralph

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

there you go http://english.alarabiya.net/en/business/economy/2017/02/13/Dubai-to-operate-first-AAV-transport-drone-.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Or maybe two smaller drones able to fly at high-speed holding a razor wire between them.

• Locked thread