Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Can't remember off the top of my head, but I think the clothing strip only triggers when you initiate the attack.

Either that, or you just didn't have the Raider weapon equipped.
Maybe. Lord knows I've failed to remember what weapons I've equipped. Or what an enemy has equipped when I think they can't reach my units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Raider weapons' biggest problem is that they have rear end for accuracy, which is a problem when the only thing the babied unit needs to do is hit the target

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

The Raider weapons' biggest problem is that they have rear end for accuracy, which is a problem when the only thing the babied unit needs to do is hit the target

Which is the only conceivable reason to use Bronze-tier stuff over them, IMO. Even then, there're ways to get around that and still use the Raider stuff effectively.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

...How is "less damage" a GOOD thing?

I could see wanting less damage output if a character is choking a point. Less damage means less kills, and less kills means your character takes less hits from enemies moving into newly vacated spaces.

It always hurts when a character dies because you planned around them barely surviving an enemy phase, only for them to proc an unexpected 1% crit and open up space for another enemy to move in and attack.

Alternatively, a stronger character might just barely kill an enemy with a weapon, so they could switch to a weaker one to lower them to 1-2 HP for the character you're training.

They're niche uses, but they do exist.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

...How is "less damage" a GOOD thing? I mean, yeah, kill feeding, but, completely aside from my distaste for the very idea of the concept, generally speaking if you're using E-rank weapons then you're the one BEING fed, not the feeder, so you're gonna want to do as much damage as possible. And there's plenty of reason to use a Raider Yumi over Brass for pure damage: While it's the only weapon type where the Bronze-tier weapon has more raw power than the Raider-type weapon (if barely), Bronze can't crit or trigger skills (as you, yourself, acknowledged), which, combined with the Raider Yumi making doubling easier, means its average damage output is actually LOWER.

Kill feeding is not the reason why Bronze weapons are good. And to be clear, I'm not saying they are the only weapon to use, I will say, however, that Bronze Weapons are much more useful than they are being given credit for. First, like I said, they have high accuracy. They turn 80%s to 90+%s, and when I'm doing an attack, I don't want to miss. Even if it's just 96% to 100%, I'm still going to want the bronze weapon if it kills all the same, which brings me to my next point. When taking doubling into account, the damage of a single hit is less important. You don't need to 20 damage 2 times if the enemy only has 30 HP, there are plenty of situations where a Bronze Weapon does enough damage, which means using the weapon with higher Hit is the right call. In a situation where I have a ~70% chance to hit with a Steel to kill in two hits, or a ~85% chance to hit with bronze, but need 3 hits to kill, I'm still going with the Bronze, because it is much easier to make a strategy to deal with an enemy that is almost dead because you actually hit, than it is to deal with a full health enemy because you missed.

When it comes to Criticals and Activated Skills, the %s of those happening, particularly until the later half of the game, is quite low. For example, a 60% crit chance is pretty high, regardless of how late in the game you are, but would you rely on a 60% hit to happen? Until you can get those %s to be reliable, like 85+, a crit or skill activating is best case scenario unimportant, worst case scenario bad for you. The new dual guard system perfectly illustrates this, your dual guard can get easily get screwed up if you kill an enemy in one crit instead of two attacks, or kill an enemy that was supposed to stay alive. So instead of taking a chance on something that at best just doesn't get in your way, Bronze Weapons will guarantee 0 crits or skills. Of course, the +10 dodge is also useful to prevent the enemy from screwing you over with a 1% crit. The joke weapons also have that effect, but like you said, why use something with less damage, particularly one that can still crit?

Again, I'm not saying Bronze Weapons are the end all, be all weapon. But even at the end of the game, I'm going to want a Bronze Weapon in a good number of my unit's inventory, which is more than I can say for Raider Weapons, which are weak, inaccurate, and the 3 effective speed has less use the faster your units get.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ohmygorgon posted:

(lecture on Bronze)

It's obvious this is another "we'll never agree on this, so let's just stop before somebody starts complaining" topic. I've only got two more things to say before dropping it. First: "You'd be surprised how often +3 effective speed will allow you to double when you couldn't otherwise, even at endgame." Second: "If you're in a place where you're in range of more than 2 units at a time and your unit isn't impervious to their attacks, that's a strategic mistake and you should be trying your best to get OUT of their range." Yes, even if you get cornered (ESPECIALLY if you get cornered, actually).

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Bronze/Brass weapons can also be extremely effective in chokepoints, since not only are they lower damage, they're reliable lower damage, so you don't have to deal with situation of your choker critting or procing skills and opening up the way for more enemies to overwhelm them, which has happened to most likely all of us at one point or another.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I mean, all of these arguments for why bronze weapons are a good option in certain situations are real and valid, but none of that counteracts that having them as your only option loving sucks, assuming you haven't lucked into a decent number of joke/raider weapons, and it acts as a heavy deterrent from experimenting with reclass options past the early game. That is the problem that people have when they complain about E rank hell, granted this doesn't have much bearing in the context of specifically a bronze vs raider debate.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

I have to admit, while I'm not particularly fond of Hayato, at least I like this support. I guess there's just something about the "writing home just to let them know you're okay" thing that appeals to me...

It's basically Robin and Ricken's support but (as is fitting the characters) much worse.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Support

It's so bitter my tongue has gone numb in self-defense!

Well, if you want them that badly, go ahead and take everything.

And haven't you heard the rumor about us?

It's a special kind of battle, called Predator.

Voting will end soon.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

It's so bitter my tongue has gone numb in self-defense!

Ah yes, the typical "can't cook" stuff. My assumptions on the reasoning: Hinoka's too busy with combat training to practice her cooking, while Setsuna's just too spaced out.

Tae posted:

Well, if you want them that badly, go ahead and take everything.

I think Hana's love of flowers might be a play on her name. At least I can understand Hayato's lack of enthusiasm for flower-print... well, everything, apparently.

Tae posted:

And haven't you heard the rumor about us?

Why do all of Subaki's supports focus almost exclusively on his alleged perfection? It just makes my distaste for him EVEN WORSE.

Tae posted:

It's a special kind of battle, called Predator.

And Silas is tricking Rinkah into playing tag with him. Well, I DID say that she should loosen up a bit...

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I like Azama, he's very dedicated to being relentlessly an rear end in a top hat to every single other party member. Plus he's a good unit as long as you get him the ability to utilize those strength growths of his.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Support

Fates NOT about fighting!

You're being melodramatic again, Kaze.

P-please stop squirming!

Traps and I are destined for each other.

Voting end. Hayato, Hana, and Subaki are out. Felicia is out on tie-breakers with two Ninjas and two Healers already on the team.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

Fates NOT about fighting!

On the one hand, I'd refuse to get my fortune told, too. On the other hand, this is a fantasy setting, and thus it's possible that they may actually be able to see the future, to some extent. Orochi's kinda pushy about it, though.

Tae posted:

You're being melodramatic again, Kaze.

Kaze: professional gofer.

Tae posted:

P-please stop squirming!

...No comment.

Tae posted:

Traps and I are destined for each other.

...Dammit, Setsuna.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hayato, Subaki, Felicia, and Hana are out for this mission. Nothing too wild for inventory switching besides giving Silas the Armorslayer.

I got annoyed here because Corrin killed him with Dragon Fang and stealing EXP.

It's good that Mozu is fast enough to double on her own. This is actually not as common as you would think among the party! Orochi cleaned up afterwards.

Silas is going to be key for this mission, being able to one-shot a lot of pesky enemies with Rinkah's help.

Mozu won't be as powerful as Donny, but her fighting ability before level 10 is drastically better at least.

That Bamboo Yumi is really pulling its weight with the great accuracy on it.

Corrin and Kaze are going to plug up this hole at the bottom so the team doesn't get three-way assaulted in.

Also they're there to get easy access to some new guests next turn.

I guess that whole "neutral kingdom" thing isn't working out for 'em anymore. Anyway...do you see Lord Takumi anywhere? I didn't get much info out of those Nohrian soldiers.

Bah. You would have done the same thing, and you know it. I'll tie up as many people as I need to track down Lord Takumi.
Whatever. I just wish you were the one missing.
Then it would just be me and Lord Takumi relaxing in an Izumo sauna...
Ugh! Keep it to yourself!
Anyway, we've got some work to do. Maybe these guys can lead us to Lord Takumi.
You're right. I can't stand these Nohrian scum. If they've done ANYTHING to harm our master...I don't know what I'll do.
OK, OK, get ahold of yourself. If you kill all of them on a bloody rampage, then where will we be?
You're right. I will decimate them with calculated efficiency...but spare a few.
Let's go!

You know, it's a pretty bad thing in hindsight that Orocohi is the most sane Retainer.

The most annoying thing about these two is that you have to talk to them individually with Corrin. I guess it's because they don't currently have their master?

Man, Shurikens should not be doing that much damage against relatively bulky units.

Mozu, I get it. You can kill stuff.

Setsuna powering up more kills, this time for a double level-up

Good job Silas. Jesus christ, Setsuna. How.

Orochi doing chip damage to a Cav gave her a chip level. Like...goddamnit.

Time for some new crew members

Not a good start.

Hold! I'm with Hoshido!
Wait...who are you? You seem familiar.
I'm Corrin. And who are you?
Oh! Lord Takumi's brother! It's nice to finally meet you. I'm Oboro, Lord Takumi's retainer.
Have...have you seen him? We can't find him anywhere!
No. But we're hopeful that he's not far from here. We could use your assistance tracking him. Will you join us? I only ask that you...temper your zeal for killing Nohrian moderately.
Yes, of course. It's just...every time I see one of those evil jerks... I just...start to rage!
GRRRRRR!
But, if I keep my thoughts focused on my dear Takumi. I can control myself. I'll do my best to assist you, Lord Corrin.

In between, Kaze kills off the remaining bottom Cavalier. Gets good defensive stats, some strength, and finally gets Poison Strike. Makes up for that disappointment from Setsuna and Orochi.

Lord Corrin! You don't know who I am?
I'm afraid not. Should I?
Ha! Probably. The name’s Hinata. I'm Lord Takumi's retainer.
Unfortunately, we became separated on the battlefield. We're doing everything we can to track him down, but we're running out of ideas.
Will you help us find him?
Yes, of course. That's why we're all here, too. It looks like we must be on the right track. since we've all arrived at the same location.
Thank you, Lord Corrin. It's big of you to put aside your differences and help us find Takumi.
Especially after some of the things he's been saying...

Why, why did he say

PSkill: Nohr Enmity-When engaging a Nohr-related enemy, damage +3
Seal Defense-After battle, enemy’s Defence -6
Swap-Select the “Swap” command to swap places with an adjacent ally on the map

It's not an exaggeration that Oboro is one of the best units in Birthright with an ability that straight up gives extra damage to 99% of the enemies.

Spear Fighter is also a relatively tanky class with one of the best skills in the game in Seal Defense. Throwing Oboro out with Guard Naginata to severely weaken an army is a powerful strategy.

PSkill: Triple Threat-When user is under half HP, half the damage received by Swords, Lances or Axes is also dealt to the enemy

Hinata is interesting. He is a low strength...tanky samurai? It's really weird, because Katanas naturally lower his DEF, but he already has one of the biggest bulk on the team with his HP.

Specialized weapons like Armorslayer get a penalty if they don't hit their specific targets. I think -4 mt, -10 hit.

The upside is that the damage is tripled which basically instant-kills that specific target.

Rinkah's at an awkward line where she takes a decent amount of damage, can't dish out that much, and her speed is not so high that she doubles anyone but Knights with SPD supports. The problem with being a "speedy tank" is that Guard Naginata exists to fill that niche and Hinata just joined.

Saizo with some chip damage, gains a level.

So there's these Thieves that have been running since the mission started and gun straight for the treasure chests on both sides. I didn't mention it because they take so long to open them, and then spend another 5 turns or so towards the team to try and escape.

A lot of this turn is spent on cleaning up this clutter of Knights and Thieves.

Reinforcements start arriving, with Mages on the left and Cavaliers on the right.

Popping an HP Tonic to trigger her PSkill is still probably the best way to go with her.

Orochi with Hinata's help will basically take on the Mage reinforcements, with some healing in between waves.

Kaze hunts down the money Thief, dropping a cool 6k for some funds.

Setsuna and Silas snipe the other Thief down for 1000 gold and a Speedwing.

Meanwhile, Orochi is trucking along with her solo adventures.

Setsuna's been key with Hinoka support to bait out the Mages hiding behind that Knight/Thief pair-up. Once they're dead, Silas cleans up with the Armorslayer.

I would call that a successful level. HP could be better, but eh HP Tonic. More importantly, he learned Shelter which will let me do riskier Dancing/Healing maneuvers without putting them in danger.

I should probably actually show the boss since he's all that's left. Mjolnir is scary, since it's a killer Tome and he has decent stats to back it up.

Oh.

Urgh...What was I thinking....

More strength is always good. And I got my first Master Seal....when no one is over level 12.

Units Joined

Oboro

Class sets: Starts as Spear Fighter, Apothecary
PSkill: Nohr Enmity-When engaging a Nohr-related enemy, damage +3

Growth Rates
HP: 45
STR: 55
MAG: 20
SKL: 55
SPD: 55
LCK: 45
DEF: 50
RES: 35

Look up in the dictionary for "Solid" and you'll find Oboro. Good growths, great class in Spear Fighter, excellent PSkill, and already starts in C rank Lances when most of the group is still in the E to D range.

Hinata

Class Sets: Starts as Samurai, Oni Savage
PSkill: Triple Threat-When user is under half HP, half the damage received by Swords, Lances or Axes is also dealt to the enemy

Growth Rates
HP: 65
STR: 45
MAG: 20
SKL: 40
SPD: 35
LCK: 60
DEF: 45
RES: 25

So, Hinata is really weird. He has high HP growth, okay STR growth, really good DEF growth (Samurai adds nothing to it), but poo poo SPD and SKL. His whole plan is basically take an attack with his gob of HP and get enough counter-attacks via Vantage to win.

I mean, that sounds cool and good except Oboro joined in the same map that does the same gameplan but better for the whole team. Great bases though, and starts off with C Swords.

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 27, 2017

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I was surprised how much I liked Oboro. She's one of the few Fates characters I feel like has a personality beyond her gimmick, and she actually has a lot going on.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yay, Oboro's here! Welcome to probably one of the best units not just on Birthright, but from Fates overall. A fun character with interesting personality and an excellent unit to throw at enemies. Admittedly, she gets the most out of her personal skill on the Birthright path, but that's probably her biggest letdown, everything else about her is worth the investment. Probably my biggest gripe about Oboro has nothing to do with her as a unit in combat, but more a dumb thing with how the Accessory Shop works. She's someone who's into fashion, yet only gives a discount for one accessory category (hats). You'd think she'd give a discount to all accessories, but nope, just the one category.

As for Hinata, I get that he's supposed to be along the lines of a dumb meathead dudebro (we'll get to that in his supports), but he's probably the weirdest Samurai in the game. Hana wants to be an extreme hit-and-run Samurai, Ryoma is death incarnate out of the box (spoilers), and the fourth Samurai we'll get to later. But Hinata? He wants to be more akin to a Fighter or a Knight or even his reclass option Oni Savage: a big wall of HP and Defense that tanks hits and dishes out hefty damage. Of course, by this point you have raised Rinkah enough that she can do that job on top of just getting Oboro who does the job just as well, which makes Hinata rather superfluous. Still, can't say no to someone who can tank a hit and keep going, even if there are better people for the job.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I guess Team Nohr has gotten really good at illusions?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Glazius posted:

So I guess Team Nohr has gotten really good at illusions?

Team Nohr's dark mages can do all kinds of cool cutscene stuff involving illusions, teleportation, and necromancy.

Unfortunately their actual combat magic is...kinda lacking.

I've only played through part of Conquest, so seeing these guys on the players team is an interesting change for me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yay, Oboro! Oboro was a mainstay of my team pretty much the entire game since she joined. She's the best.

I ended up not using either of the Samurai who have joined us so far. And what the hell, your Kaze! A level where he gains Str and Def but no Spd?! Who are you, and what have you done with Kaze?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I like how the characters have special lines when they get a single stat up

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

SgtSteel91 posted:

I like how the characters have special lines when they get a single stat up

They each have 3 or 4 lines, based on how many points they gain that level. And when several stats are maxed, they change their single stat line to point out they couldn't have gained much more than that.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I never, ever used Hinata. Not even enough to see if he's worth the investment. I guess by this time you've already starting to form your team, and Hinata just does not bring anything to the table. Subaki at least is in a good class. (Of course, I'm apparently in the minority that thinks Hana's a good unit, so.)

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Oboro! :allears:

On the other hand, Hinata :geno:. It doesn't come across in screenshots, but his voice more or less sounds like a surfer dude and it's so grating.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Hinata's best use, I've found, is to promote him straight away with the Master Seal from this chapter. His bases are excellent and he'll dominate the next few chapters, then you can replace him with the next Samurai that joins when he starts to slow down. For long-term use though, I prefer Oboro, who has solid overall growths and is in an (IMO) cooler class to boot.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Hinata is that sword user who shows up four chapters after you already have 2-3 established sword users. I'm sure he's ok, but by this point you have people who do what he does. Meanwhile, Oboro looks to fill a niche this team doesn't have as a durable infantry spear user.

...Huh, the only mounted unit on your team that isn't on a Pegasus is from Nohr. Do they not have regular horses in Hoshido? The lack of mounted axe, bow and magic users is a little sad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Hinata is that sword user who shows up four chapters after you already have 2-3 established sword users. I'm sure he's ok, but by this point you have people who do what he does. Meanwhile, Oboro looks to fill a niche this team doesn't have as a durable infantry spear user.

...Huh, the only mounted unit on your team that isn't on a Pegasus is from Nohr. Do they not have regular horses in Hoshido? The lack of mounted axe, bow and magic users is a little sad.

It's basically a thing that Nohr and Hoshido get half of the standard FE classes and fill in the gaps with their own new ones. Nohr gets all the conventional medieval classes and wyverns since knights, and Hoshido gets the ones that can easily be repurposed, like ninjas (basically FE 9/10 thieves, but with cooler knives) and soldiers I guess?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oboro's really weird for me because I've never actually made her work; every time she's just ended up as a backpack for another unit. Her bases and growths are all solid, but nothing that's going to rocket out of the moon, so most of the time I just ended up using someone stronger, faster, or someone I was experimenting with, like Subaki or Rinkah.

It hurts her a little that she joins after Subaki, Silas and Hinoka, too. You can kind of dump Subaki at this point though, I guess.

Hinata is the same, I've never ended up using him much despite his excellent starting bases. He's better than Hana at least, but he just kind of... falls off after promotion.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oboro's really weird for me because I've never actually made her work; every time she's just ended up as a backpack for another unit. Her bases and growths are all solid, but nothing that's going to rocket out of the moon, so most of the time I just ended up using someone stronger, faster, or someone I was experimenting with, like Subaki or Rinkah.

It hurts her a little that she joins after Subaki, Silas and Hinoka, too. You can kind of dump Subaki at this point though, I guess.

Hinata is the same, I've never ended up using him much despite his excellent starting bases. He's better than Hana at least, but he just kind of... falls off after promotion.

You might not have had luck with the RNG, that's fair, but that second part is just plain wrong. Go look at their starting levels along with their growths. Oboro is only 4 levels higher than Silas, and 5 higher than Subaki, but her bases in many cases match, or nearly match, the absolute maximum either could have even if they hit their growth every single level. And this is even assuming they've reached 10 by this point, which is by no means guaranteed.

To wit:
HP: Starts 3 points higher than either of them, and both only have ~50% growths (55 for Subaki, 55 for Silas). They'll eventually likely pass her as hers is slightly lower (45), but not by much.
STR: 2 points higher than Silas, 5 points higher than Subaki. Silas might actually pass her slightly, as he's got a relatively decent growth (60), but Subaki has to hit every single level to match, and odds aren't high of him doing that with his growth(40). Her own growth is respectable (55), so it's generally going to be nearly the same between her and Silas here.
MAG: All start at 0, Subaki and Oboro have 20% growths compared to Silas' 5% if you actually care about it. You'll generally have better magic lancers than any of these.
SKL: Subaki actually has the lead here, starting with 13, compared to Oboro's 11. Silas is 2 points behind her. All have comparable growths (60/60/55), so Subaki will pull away from both of them, and again Silas has an okay chance to at least reach her starting point.
SPD: 2 point advantage over Subaki, 4 point advantage over Silas. Here she's generally always going to have to have the advantage. Silas has to hit his growth every single level to catch her, and each level is a perfect coin flip (50% growth). Subaki only has to get 2 points over 5 levels, but also has a completely poo poo growth (35). Oboro's own growth is actually higher than either of theirs as well, so she's likely to pull away too.
LCK: Oboro starts 4 points higher than either, and growths are generally the same across all 3 (45/50/50), so she'll generally maintain the advantage here as well.
DEF: Another important stat, Oboro starts 3 points higher than Silas, and 4 points higher than Subaki. Both have decent growths, but it's still a coin flip each level (45/50), and hers is also 50%, so there's a fair chance she'll have and maintain an advantage here as well, though won't pull away.
RES: Subaki, as a Sky Knight, unsurprisingly has the advantage here, starting at 10 to Oboro's 8 - putting her 3 ahead of Silas. None of them have great growths here, though amusingly Subaki has the lowest (25/30/35).

She's a really good character, and in terms of personality she's better than either of them too. Another interesting advantage is that Spear Fighters have no effective weapons against them, unlike the flying and horse tags. Hell, in some ways they're better tanks than their classic (and Nohrian) equivalent - Knights - since they're lacking the armor tag as well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh, I don't deny that in paper and likely in practice Oboro is better. More that in my personal experience, when I'm fielding units and go, 'hmm, I could use a lance user', then between the four lance units I already have, I'm probably already grabbing Hinoka, and then Silas/Subaki have a horse/wings. So priority tends to maybe go Hinoka > Silas/Subaki > Oboro > Subaki/Silas, if I don't need to train or hold back someone in particular. Too Many Lances gets compounded even more later - Azama and Hayato get them on promotion (Orochi does too, but she's not likely using one). I'm not even including Azura and Mozu here since they're probably not attacking or aren't being fielded because of lances.

The next couple maps being full of lance/axe units also means you're less likely to field lance users, too.

Oboro's a great unit. There's just nothing in practice that makes me beeline to deploy her.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 27, 2017

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Remember Oboro's line "Nohrian scum."

Because you're going to hear it a great deal.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, before my comments on Takumi's lackeys: Setsuna got a REALLY weird level, but at least she got the one stat she needs the most. Now then...

Oboro - She's a royal-tier monster! Good bases with excellent growths across the board, plus a great personal... There's really not much reason NOT to use her. As a character... not bad, actually, even though blatantly prejudiced characters usually annoy me (at least she has an excuse...).

Hinata - Probably the biggest disappointment on my team; I have NEVER gotten a remotely viable Hinata. I mean, he doesn't get enough Strength and, despite his class AND WIELDING THE MOST ACCURATE WEAPON TYPE, he doesn't get enough Skill to reliably hit ANYTHING. I know people generally consider Skill to be a dump stat, but there is such a thing as taking it too far, and Hinata crosses that line for me- I mean, who heard of a Swordmaster with less than 15 Skill (I think my Hinata's tend to have about 13 Strength and Skill at 20/20, and I'm being generous here)? Really, literally ANY other Sword user would outdo him, even when they don't start out using them (it's sad that I'm including Subaki in that, but at least HE can HIT). And he's also a complete and utter MORON, so no respite on that front, either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If Oboro's attack animations weren't so neat to watch, I think I'd like her less.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hinata's always been kinda weird to me, it's like he wants to be a Mercenary or something, which I guess is fine, but chances are Hana's already a better unit and then Ryoma'll come in at some point and hell be great just by virtue of being a royal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Felicia randomly there.

Now tell us where you're keeping Izana!
*cough* *cough* Urk... No...
What do you mean, no? You're beaten!
Oh my. How naive you are. What a sheltered life you've lived! I'd rather die than give you ANYTHING. Luckily, I won't have to.
PAH!

*cough* *cough* He's using some kind of a smoke screen!
Bingo! Until next time, fools!

*Zola runs away*

Wait...is that....

GYAAAH!
Ow, ow, ow... What are you doing? Let me go!

It's Treo!

Leo! What are you doing here?
Ah, Zola. You've embarrassed our kingdom for the last time.
Milord! Please, you don't mean that... I was just attempting to preserve my dignity.
Dignity? What would you know about that? You're done here.
Gyaaaah! Nooo...

Zola is a monster. I'm going to make the world a better place.
But he's one of your own! I refuse to believe you'd harm a fellow Nohrian.

Uh...aren't you killing Nohrians like crazy

Why should I listen to a traitor like you? You abandoned us! You have no right to tell me what to do!
Leo...please.
Ugh, fine! Keep this pitiful fool if you like him so much. Good-bye, Corrin. When the time is right, you'll pay for what you've done.

*Leo leaves*

Dude, you burned way too many bridges to say that at this point.

I've never seen such a display of power.
Yes... Lord Leo is a gifted dark mage. He's feared and respected in Nohr.
He's certainly changed since the time I spent there. The Leo I remember was kind and curious. Even clumsy at times. I wonder what happened to him...

You ever thought he was always that way and you only saw him on vacation...?

*Later that day*

No, better idea—an all-night party! We'll wear pajamas and eat bonbons. Let's get started! Izana in the house!
Is...is this still Zola?
No...but I think we underestimated Zola's Izana impression.
Um, Archduke Izana, before we get to the bonbons, I have a few questions. Have you witnessed any nearby conflicts involving the Nohrians?
Oh, yeah. Definitely. What a bunch of party poopers they were.
We were just listening to some music and getting massages.
And then I heard, like, a big explosion or something outside. I went to see what was going on, and they captured me.
I was still wearing my silk pj's!

So we don't exactly have a world-class military force. I don't know what happened after that. I was in my own jail.
Luckily, I previously had the cell equipped with velvet sheets and scented candles.
Best sleep I've had in weeks!
I'm so sorry you had to, uh, suffer through all that...
Yes. It's despicable for Nohr to take advantage of a neutral realm like this. Archduke Izana, I know you've been confined to a luxuriously appointed cell... But would you happen to know anything about my brothers Ryoma and Takumi?

I did overhear that the battle stretched all the way to the Bottomless Canyon. Maybe they just fell in?
Gods! No!
Get ahold of yourself, Sakura! Your brothers are not the type to accidentally fall into a canyon. We've got to believe that both of them are alive and healthy.
I'm sorry—that was rude of me to speculate like that. It's just that that canyon is totally treacherous! Such a hazard!
Anyway, maybe I can help by reading your fortune.
I'm a bit skeptical of fortune-telling...but this is your kingdom...
Yep! And I'm a descendant of the gods! It really is a pretty sweet deal from me. All right, here we go...

Oh, ancient gods...

I ask that you please answer me.
Oh, I'm getting something!
In the white light, a hand ♪ reaches through... A double edged blade cuts your ♪ heart in two... waking dreams fade away... ♪ Embrace the brand-new day...
Can it be?
Om...
Is that it?
Om...
Hmm.

Oh. That's it?
I'm sorry, but that wasn't very helpful.
Hey, what can I tell you? I don't make the fortunes up—I just read 'em.
Very well. Let's just move on.
Sounds good to me. I'm dying for something bubbly to drink. Who wants to join me in the sauna?
Oh, right. You probably want to hurry off and find your friends. Well, there's no rush. I peeked into their fortunes a little bit just now. And I can tell you that they're both doing OK at the moment.
Are you s-sure? I'd really like to believe that.

Well. Thank you, Archduke Izana, for your hospitality and services as fortune-teller. It is tempting to stay and rest, but we'll leave now in search of our brothers.
I knew it. Oh well! Come back again sometime, and we'll have a toga party.
I don't know what that is, but...OK. Take care.

*Later that night*

Those words were so poetic. "A double-edged blade..." "Embrace the brand-new day..."
Corrin, I must speak with you.
Is everything OK?
Yes. Well, I don't know, actually... It's about that fortune.
It was strange, wasn't it? And a bit haunting, too...

Are you certain? Do you remember the meaning behind the lyrics?
No. It's an ancient song. But this is what troubles me. The lyrics almost seem to speak directly to YOU.
To me? How is that possible?
I don't know. the song has always been a bit of a mystery... But I never thought about trying to solve it until now.
Perhaps it's just a coincidence. Right? I mean, how could someone write a song about me if I hadn't been born... Oh, um...
*sob*
Azura, what's the matter?
I'm sorry... Please forget about all of this.
all right, I'll drop it for now. But don't hesitate to come speak with me about anything. At any time. I'm here for you.
Thank you, Corrin. All right, let's get going, shall we?
Azura?

*Azura leaves*

What was she trying to tell me?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It's a nice little callback there, when Zola got all huffy about them knocking his impersonation :v: Izana's fun, though I wish he got a little more screentime.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Between Azura and Izana, it's pretty obvious that her song's more along the lines of a musical prophecy than anything.

On a side note, it's kinda funny how everyone's so convinced that Zola's eccentric act couldn't possibly be how the real Izana acts... and then they meet him, and that's EXACTLY how he behaves. I mean, "Oh, ancient gods... What's up?" indeed.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Are you telling me Izuna's not recruitable??? :argh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

Are you telling me Izuna's not recruitable??? :argh:
he is, but only very late in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Support

When I'm around sweets, I can't stop myself!

Really? You seemed anguished over something.

Lady Azura, can you read minds?

It's about the finer points of Nohrian cavalry tactics.

• Locked thread