Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I watched the Man Show back in the day. That was enough Kimmel to last a lifetime.

This, but with Win Ben Stein's Money instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

This, but with Win Ben Stein's Money instead.

I'm starting to regret my devotion to television.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

To be fair, that Kimmel "deleted scene" from Batman v. Superman is probably the best thing to come out of that mess.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know I'm late to the party, but Lego Batman is magnificent. Maybe my favorite Batman related media ever. Maybe even my favorite superhero film ever. The only flaw in it is that I saw Red Hood at some point and that makes no sense.

Roth posted:

I wish Croc did something other than just stand around.

In the movie, he tosses out "I did something!" and I died.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Already fucktards with Joker avatars are tweeting about how it won an oscar. It won an oscar that had nothing to do with acting, or directing or writing for any of the poo poo that's important in the way they're acting.

I can't believe that people are still peeved at Suicide Squad or at people who like Suicide Squad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Suicide Squad made a lot of money. And like it or not there is gonna be a sequel at at least two spin-offs.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

twistedmentat posted:

It's such dad rock too, but like an Ernest Cline novel, they make it out to be the craziest, most edgy rock music there is.

What bothered me most about the music was they have a movie where there is a scene where the Joker and Harley Quinn go on a mad driving rampage through Gotham and Batman stops them.
And they have the rights to Eminem's "Without Me".
This is the perfect match up in song's tone and scene.

Do they combine them? No. They play something else during that scene, and waste Eminem on a suit up sequence.

Like what in the actual Hell.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SonicRulez posted:

In the movie, he tosses out "I did something!" and I died.

That was my favourite joke in the whole movie

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My two biggest laughs were probably in the beginning because they caught me completely off guard. Bats' narration over the DC logo and the password to the Batcave.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Croc was one of the best things about Suicide Squad

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

MacheteZombie posted:

Croc was one of the best things about Suicide Squad

He barely had any dialogue and was mostly forgotten in the background. The movie would have been completely unchanged if he wasn't in it. So yeah, you're pretty much right.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hmm not what I was getting at.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That Croc design was terrible. It was clearly only meant to be seen when he's wearing bulky clothing to make him look big. I laughed out loud when he took his hoodie off to swim to the bomb and he's got this huge bulky head on a little normal body.

Croc nipples.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Codependent Poster posted:

Not tonight. Sometime this week.
I would say Tuesday since that's usually when they like to release Marvel stuff on Kimmel's show, but then I forgot AOS is on break

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It was a good design and he was a good character

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MacheteZombie posted:

It was a good design and he was a good character

"character"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Please do not engage the gimmick.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most people on Earth don't have depth of character.

Frankly I think it was brave of Academy Award Winner Suicide Squad to dare to have flat characters. It was very real and reflected the true reality of our world.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Please do not engage the gimmick.

Different opinions aren't gimmicks, hth.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

achillesforever6 posted:

I would say Tuesday since that's usually when they like to release Marvel stuff on Kimmel's show, but then I forgot AOS is on break

Tuesday is right
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/836259961151844352

I find most trailers for trailers tedious and dumb, but that one is good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am really looking forward for more Nebula screen time in this movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MacheteZombie posted:

Different opinions aren't gimmicks, hth.

Of course not in general. Just you. If you elaborated on why you have the opinion that you do in any way other than "Nuh-uh" at literally any point, I wouldn't be so callous.

howe_sam posted:

Tuesday is right
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/836259961151844352

I find most trailers for trailers tedious and dumb, but that one is good.

It's really strange to know Batista from WWE and see him now. He's one of the rare guys who has only gotten better and better with age.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

Of course not in general. Just you. If you elaborated on why you have the opinion that you do in any way other than "Nuh-uh" at literally any point, I wouldn't be so callous.

No bravest lamp is a gimmick, this guy just has weird taste in stuff I think

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I've done so in the past.

Also tons of people in this thread and others simply post if they liked something or not without being called a gimmick. So why am I singled out by you? Do you even care what my opinion is?

I think Croc's design is put together well, and looks good in motion. The smaller swimmer body didn't bother me because it matched the idea that Croc suffered from a disfigurement and not a weird mixmash of disability and super ability, like Daredevil's blindess also making him a superhero with heightened other senses. His character being a counter to Deadshot and Waller as an immobile black man who faced such gross discrimination that he adopted the persona prescribed to him was a neat bit of characterization. Waller justifies her lust of power as national security, Deadshot justifies his criminal life as a means to provide for his daughter, Croc's justification is simply that he was treated as a monster so he became one*. He's very human and at the end we see a glimpse of "normalcy" in Croc by the way he joyfully eats a hamburger (cooked food!) and watches tv.

There was a time where Croc could have been you or me, but the world around him shaped him into the monster they wanted to hate.

*Which to some may come off as an excuse, but I've met enough people to know that it's a very real, very human feeling.

purple death ray posted:

No bravest lamp is a gimmick, this guy just has weird taste in stuff I think

I'm fine being the guy with weird tastes, but for the record I don't think Suicide Squad is some masterpiece of cinema. It's a bad version of Escape from New York. There just happens to be good ideas/concepts nestled into it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MacheteZombie posted:

I've done so in the past.

Also tons of people in this thread and others simply post if they liked something or not without being called a gimmick. So why am I singled out by you? Do you even care what my opinion is?

I think Croc's design is put together well, and looks good in motion. The smaller swimmer body didn't bother me because it matched the idea that Croc suffered from a disfigurement and not a weird mixmash of disability and super ability, like Daredevil's blindess also making him a superhero with heightened other senses. His character being a counter to Deadshot and Waller as an immobile black man who faced such gross discrimination that he adopted the persona prescribed to him was a neat bit of characterization. Waller justifies her lust of power as national security, Deadshot justifies his criminal life as a means to provide for his daughter, Croc's justification is simply that he was treated as a monster so he became one*. He's very human and at the end we see a glimpse of "normalcy" in Croc by the way he joyfully eats a hamburger (cooked food!) and watches tv.

There was a time where Croc could have been you or me, but the world around him shaped him into the monster they wanted to hate.

Absolutely none of this whatsoever is dramatized.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
In other controversial opinions, the Adventures of Tintin is easily one of the top comic book movies, and technically the best Eurocomic film since the Fifth Element is not (legally speaking) a comic adaptation.

Arist posted:

What does this actually mean?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Arist posted:

don't gimmick post

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It means the movie doesn't loving do anything with it. None of it is emphasized or played for dramatic effect. Croc is a complete non-entity in that movie.

You're basically just going "there's a bunch of potentially interesting stuff in here," and no poo poo. But it's all dumped out without being properly utilized.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Arist posted:

It means the movie doesn't loving do anything with it. None of it is emphasized or played for dramatic effect. Croc is a complete non-entity in that movie.

okay, but it exists in the movie. it may not be a focal point, but it's there.

if you read my whole post instead of immediately dismissing it I point out that its the idea/concept I liked and that the movie itself isn't very good. Because the conversation was about Croc specifically, not the Academy Award Winning Suicide Squad movie as a whole.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, of all the things to complain about in Oscar-winner Suicide Squad, Killer Croc's design is hardly the one I'd be arguing against.

Like, is Croc worse than the main bad guy being a poorly-CGI'd dancing lady? No, not even close.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, of all the things to complain about in Oscar-winner Suicide Squad, Killer Croc's design is hardly the one I'd be arguing against.

Like, is Croc worse than the main bad guy being a poorly-CGI'd dancing lady? No, not even close.

wow there slow down slick, you're sounding like a gimmick.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MacheteZombie posted:

okay, but it exists in the movie. it may not be a focal point, but it's there.

Read my edit:

Arist posted:

You're basically just going "there's a bunch of potentially interesting stuff in here," and no poo poo. But it's all dumped out without being properly utilized.

Just because the movie has it doesn't mean anything. You can certainly read into it, but the reading reads false because it's based on poo poo the movie clearly doesn't care enough to do anything with.

And your argument was that Croc was a good character. A character is more than a bunch of unexplored ideas.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

What bothered me most about the music was they have a movie where there is a scene where the Joker and Harley Quinn go on a mad driving rampage through Gotham and Batman stops them.
And they have the rights to Eminem's "Without Me".
This is the perfect match up in song's tone and scene.

Do they combine them? No. They play something else during that scene, and waste Eminem on a suit up sequence.

Like what in the actual Hell.

Or for a deeper cut since Without Me is so huge they could have put Business in there somewhere. The whole song is overtly about superheroes, Batman and Robin in particular.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Arist posted:

Just because the movie has it doesn't mean anything. You can certainly read into it, but the reading reads false because it's based on poo poo the movie clearly doesn't care enough to do anything with.

And your argument was that Croc was a good character. A character is more than a bunch of unexplored ideas.

did you read my edit?

and yes I can think a character in a story is a good character even if they're not fully explored.

side characters in movies aren't always fully explored but they can still be good characters

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Tintin is good.

MacheteZombie posted:

did you read my edit?

and yes I can think a character in a story is a good character even if they're not fully explored.

You claim that there is something good in that which is haram. drat your seventh grandfather.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Croc isn't explored at all, is the thing. He's nobody.

Like, Slipknot is honestly more memorable because at least he punches a lady and gets his head blown up. Croc... swims? Once?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I do actually appreciate that block o' text.It reads like grabbing at stuff that isn't there, but hey, it's art. You get what you want. I don't really see how Croc's race drew any parallels or comparisons with him and Deadshot or Waller anymore than the rest of the Squad. Really his race only comes up when he requests BET which was just the worst for me. The character comes off as flat to me because all of your analysis is spelled out to you in the movie in the first 5 minutes or so. They go over all that stuff in his dossier. It's not until the diner that things go any further than that and they don't actually change a whole lot. A character with no arc is gonna have a hard time contributing to my enjoyment of a film that is supposed to be character driven. I feel the same way about Katana.

You're throwin a lil bit of a fit over that term gimmick though. I stepped out of line cause it seems a lot like you only ever wanna hop in to tell everyone they're wrong about the DCCU and/or explain that C/D is actually cool and great. It can be grating.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SonicRulez posted:

A character with no arc is gonna have a hard time contributing to my enjoyment of a film that is supposed to be character driven.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Captain America has no arc in Civil War and he's still a good part of that movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Arist posted:

I don't necessarily agree with this. Captain America has no arc in Civil War and he's still a good part of that movie.

I didn't say impossible, I just said they'd have a hard time. Cap's ridiculous refusal to budge on his views is sorta the driving force of that film. Steve thinks he's right and isn't going to stop. Tony at least briefly considers that he might not be right before the movie is over (allowing the ending), but the movie doesn't really work if Cap isn't that stubborn. Because if he's not then everything probably works fine, no superheroes fight, and we're off to China for magic or whichever movie was next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What are his views, in your opinion?

• Locked thread