Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fiction posted:

Do you know literally anything about the left movement in the US or are you intentionally dense.

I was gonna say I think the American Left has some quite legitimate excuses for why it hasn't historically stuck its head above the parapet as often as one might like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fiction posted:

Do you know literally anything about the left movement in the US or are you intentionally dense.

*is gerrymandered to the point where my vote counts 1/3 as much as a republican's* Obviously the left is just not trying hard enough geez :colbert:

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

I wouldn't say stupid but certainly picky. Decades of refusing to assert any kind of influence at any time means the system grows in a fashion consistent with your non-existence. It's pretty rich to say you're being ignored when you are staying silent. That's why it's so informative to see things moving along now, even if it's under these circumstances. Engagement is good, because it shows what power it has - Perez might not have the career history of defending civil and labor rights that Ellison had, or the broad organizational leadership experience, or the leftist credentials from 6 months ago, but he's a step in the right direction over the likes of Kaine.

It's not that Perez is bad, you moron, it's that Perez was propped up to beat back a leftist insurrection. His appointment of Ellison as deputy is just controlling the opposition, putting him in a neutered position. This is politics; you need to read between the loving lines.

https://medium.com/@MattBruenig/be-clear-about-what-happened-to-keith-ellison-78e31bad6f76#.h3mcr9z2m

quote:

Before this gets turned into another thing where the establishment Democrats posture as the reasonable adults victimized by the assaults of those left-wing baddies, let’s just be very clear about what happened here. It was the establishment wing that decided to recruit and then stand up a candidate in order to fight an internal battle against the left faction of the party. It was the establishment wing that then dumped massive piles of opposition research on one of their own party members. And it was the establishment wing that did all of this in the shadow of Trump, sowing disunity in order to contest a position whose leadership they insist does not really matter.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/836231515432419328

Foreploy
Mar 14, 2016

Huzanko posted:

It's not that Perez is bad, you moron, it's that Perez was propped up to beat back a leftist insurrection.

So the leftist insurrection forced the party establishment to back someone "not bad" (I read that as: good) to maintain the fig leaf that they're still in control and that's... not a good sign for the growing power of the left within the Democratic party?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Foreploy posted:

So the leftist insurrection forced the party establishment to back someone "not bad" (I read that as: good) to maintain the fig leaf that they're still in control and that's... not a good sign for the growing power of the left within the Democratic party?

No, it isn't.

Ask yourself why Perez and not Ellison? Why did they hand pick a guy to run against Ellison? It's not about the candidates. It's about why Perez as propped up and why the DNC put out oppo against one of their own.

It's just them trying to control the opposition. They want the left to be good girls and boys and vote how they're told while they collect the big donor paychecks and continue to be Diet Republicans.

Now is the time for change, after a loss to an absolute villain, and they are making nothing but token efforts to change. That is not a good sign, at all.

You don't HAVE to accept their token efforts. You can push for more.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 27, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Foreploy posted:

So the leftist insurrection forced the party establishment to back someone "not bad"

Why did it force them to do anything?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

GunnerJ posted:

It didn't.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

GunnerJ posted:

Guillotine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huzanko posted:

No, it isn't.

Ask yourself why Perez and not Ellison? Why did they hand pick a guy to run against Ellison? It's not about the candidates. It's about why Perez as propped up and why the DNC put out oppo against one of their own.

It's just them trying to control the opposition. They want the left to be good girls and boys and vote how they're told while they collect the big donor paychecks and continue to be Diet Republicans.

Now is the time for change, after a loss to an absolute villain, and they are making nothing but token efforts to change. That is not a good sign, at all.

I've said it before but if you want spoilers for the US you can look at the UK.

Foreploy
Mar 14, 2016

Huzanko posted:

Yeah, totally, but I think you have to stay within the party structure to have a chance to affect it. Abstaining and holding oneself apart doesn't get you much - even Sanders knows that, from how he managed his affairs with the Democrats for decades.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Foreploy posted:

Yeah, totally, but I think you have to stay within the party structure to have a chance to affect it. Abstaining and holding oneself apart doesn't get you much - even Sanders knows that, from how he managed his affairs with the Democrats for decades.

Does "primary the gently caress out of everyone until they're terrified" count as "abstaining" because I think that's what we're saying to do

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ate all the Oreos posted:

Does "primary the gently caress out of everyone until they're terrified" count as "abstaining" because I think that's what we're saying to do

And it's working now, when plenty of damage has been done. As much as I live in hope that the urgency and spirit that's been shown since November will continue in perpetuity, I really fear that whatever gains through a congress or presidency will fall back once people tune out because they're too busy undoing the damage to make enough new progress. For gently caress's sake even if a supermajority gets elected in 2018 and impeaches then removes everyone down to the secretary of agriculture or whatever, the EPA will need to be rebuilt, the voting rights of millions will need to be restored, laws will need to be repealed and regulations put back in place, etc. That's assuming a supermajority of like-minded leftist legislators who happily override vetoes nonstop. Enough damage has already been done that the investigations and triage will last for an entire congressional term and if the people who put them in there decide to stay home 2 years later because they aren't seeing banks and petrocorps getting nationalized then it'll have been for absolutely nothing. All the pain and suffering, all the protests and time spent calling and demanding answers from elected officials will be swept under the rug like 2010 and things will at best grind to a halt.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm working on a campaign to primary a moderate Democrat.

The hope is that she decides to make a Senate run rather than get bogged down in a primary fight.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm all for primary-ing Democrats.

I am not, however, in favor of splitting our opposition post-Primary.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ate all the Oreos posted:

*is gerrymandered to the point where my vote counts 1/3 as much as a republican's* Obviously the left is just not trying hard enough geez :colbert:

How about, like, the red scare and the demonization of serious workers movements for the vast majority of the last century?

God knows voting more democrats into office wouldn't put us much better than we are now. If Perez being put into his seat is evidence of anything, it is that Democrats are never going to be in the business of saving anyone from anything. At best, they are a stopgap measure in the absence and development of a real populist front. More realistically, they are the all-too willing vectors for the kinds of neoliberal policies that brought us where we are now.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

If Perez being put into his seat is evidence of anything, it is that...

...we are not primarying bitches hard enough.

They will not give up their choke hold on the party because we are yelling from the street, we have to force them out ourselves.

To that end, does anyone know of any resources/projects to help recruit candidates and document deadlines and procedures for candidacy?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Our state Democrat party is best known for having its chairperson tweet on Christmas about how she got stuck on her toilet because she was so fat.

The real person running it is a center right Democrat who doesn't let anyone speak and changes the rules constantly. If you want to participate, you have to kiss the ring.

Gogo Alabama.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Durbin gave one of our local groups a pretty cool shout-out this morning, mentioning that we're running Democrats in our Normal IL Township elections this year. Democrats have basically never run in the local township elections, because our county is so reliably Republican.

quote:

I’ll tell you what I’ve seen at the local level. I’ve never seen it before and I’ve been at this business for awhile. There is an energy and a spontaneity that I have never seen before. People are showing up in towns. Bloomington-Normal, Illinois has a meeting based on some Internet solicitation of a group called Indivisible. I had heard about them. I didn’t know much about them. 250 people showed up. Do you know what they decided to do? Those 250 people decided we are going to slate a Democratic slate of candidates for a Township election where we were going to take a pass. We’re going to get out and work the doors, we’re going to work the phones, we’re going to make sure people are registered. That spontaneity is at the base of our party. And the November 8th election has really brought it to life

I'm friends with one of the people running, and I really think she has a shot based on the all-important Yard Sign Frequency metrics. The incumbents haven't done anything at all to mobilize voters; I think they are seriously expecting to just get voted back in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Our state Democrat party is best known for having its chairperson tweet on Christmas about how she got stuck on her toilet because she was so fat. If you want to participate, you have to kiss the ring.

Gogo Alabama.

I think this post works better without the second sentence.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This is super good news.

I hate to be a broken record, but we should have been fighting for these little offices decades ago, they're the foundation for everything else.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm working on a campaign to primary a moderate Democrat.

The hope is that she decides to make a Senate run rather than get bogged down in a primary fight.

How is your funding situation going? Have you attracted any significant donors or are you effectively gathering small donations? Have you gotten any endorsements? Are you doing this through OurRevolution, another left-wing organization, or is it purely local? Do you have any advice for similar attempts, any glaring mistakes that could've been avoided so far?

Assessment and analysis of successful and unsuccessful primary attempts against centrist Democrats are going to be very important in the next four years.

But it is really good that you're going for it. :)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lightning Knight posted:

How is your funding situation going? Have you attracted any significant donors or are you effectively gathering small donations? Have you gotten any endorsements? Are you doing this through OurRevolution, another left-wing organization, or is it purely local? Do you have any advice for similar attempts, any glaring mistakes that could've been avoided so far?

Assessment and analysis of successful and unsuccessful primary attempts against centrist Democrats are going to be very important in the next four years.

But it is really good that you're going for it. :)

I've got a meeting on Thursday, we're working on some kind of video.

The candidate just lost an election in a solid red district that normally goes unchallenged on a shoestring budget, and did far better than predicted.

I'm not sure what groups are involved, she would fit into several of them so maybe there's some hope. People are going to be shy about supporting a primary challenger though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is super good news.

I hate to be a broken record, but we should have been fighting for these little offices decades ago, they're the foundation for everything else.
Yeah, I agree. I am completely unsuited to office, unless that office involves making pretty charts or running Dungeons & Dragons games (which last I checked it did not), so I'm happy to do what I can to help make this kind of bottom-up change happen. The town itself isn't really all that Republican; we're probably 50/50, especially with Illinois State University here, so this is a prime target.

Whatever your thoughts on Durbin himself, getting a shout-out from our state senator on national TV is some pretty serious amplification and recognition.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a meeting on Thursday, we're working on some kind of video.

The candidate just lost an election in a solid red district that normally goes unchallenged on a shoestring budget, and did far better than predicted.

I'm not sure what groups are involved, she would fit into several of them so maybe there's some hope. People are going to be shy about supporting a primary challenger though.

Ah you're still in the planning stages then. That's cool.

I hope it goes well, you should keep us updated! :yayclod:

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Our state Democrat party is best known for having its chairperson tweet on Christmas about how she got stuck on her toilet because she was so fat.

please for the love of god post this tweet

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It was worse than I remembered. It wasn't a tweet, it was a chain email sent to every Democrat in the state? https://www.scribd.com/mobile/document/251865760/Nancy-Worley-Holiday-Letter

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It was worse than I remembered. It wasn't a tweet, it was a chain email sent to every Democrat in the state? https://www.scribd.com/mobile/document/251865760/Nancy-Worley-Holiday-Letter

Solution: We installed the tallest available commode and a pull up bar
:laugh:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I'm not looking forwards to primarying Feinstein, but it's gotta be done. I'll be watching your progress with great detail!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This weekend I am hosting a meet and greet / fundraiser for the progressive candidate running for a council seat in my ward. I went door to door and handed out 100 flyers a couple days ago and I'm hoping that is enough to generate some interest.

I'm new to the neighborhood and trying to do this as a potluck so as to meet some of the neighbors. I'm just kind of worried that only like 5 people will show up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This weekend I am hosting a meet and greet / fundraiser for the progressive candidate running for a council seat in my ward. I went door to door and handed out 100 flyers a couple days ago and I'm hoping that is enough to generate some interest.

I'm new to the neighborhood and trying to do this as a potluck so as to meet some of the neighbors. I'm just kind of worried that only like 5 people will show up.

Sometimes you get 5 people, and you still have a good time. Sometimes 200 people show up and then you've got to panic!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

OwlFancier posted:

I've said it before but if you want spoilers for the US you can look at the UK.

So you're saying we can make the GOP politically irrelevant by paying them a stipend but taking away all their real power and land?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BurntCornMuffin posted:

...we are not primarying bitches hard enough.

They will not give up their choke hold on the party because we are yelling from the street, we have to force them out ourselves.

To that end, does anyone know of any resources/projects to help recruit candidates and document deadlines and procedures for candidacy?

only thing i've heard of https://www.runforsomething.net/

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

how the gently caress is this real

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Just from my experience; I think the key to advancing the agenda is to check the language that you use.

The moment a leftist person resorts to calling someone a racist or a bigot because someone does not agree with you on everything puts others on the defence. Once this happens you've lost the argument as that person will leave feeling insulted and be thinking more about how much they don't like as opposed to considering your argument.

There also needs to be less drama made of certain kinds of speech. Even comedians who are paid to be controversial feel like they are treading on eggshells. There is a difference between making a joke and actually meaning something (i.e. PewdiePie) - I don't really like PewdiePie very much and his nazi-related humor was a little distasteful, but it's clear he was expressing his style of humor and did not actually have an agenda to kill Jews.

While I was at University, there were also many petitions to prevent right-wing speakers coming in for silly things like a throw-away comment from 8 years ago. If you do not create the platform for debate, change cannot happen without aggression. The fact that nobody on the left expected Brexit and Trump is telling of how censoring people's opinions leads to a silent majority.

I'm disappointed that the support for Jeremy Corbyn is dwindling with even his most avid supporters as they have bought into the whole media campaign of him being unelectable; I think Britain is now certainly going to be a one party country.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Not only did the left expect Brexit, significant parts of the left were actively campaigning for it. And Jeremy Corbyn isn't losing support because of some media campaign but because he's grossly incompent. That he now supports a hard Brexit is certainly a part of it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I've always wondered, what does "Henry Offenses" refer to?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

High earning not rich yet.

Basically rich people complaining that life is very hard because of the mortgage on their big house and having to pay the nanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

High earning not rich yet.

Basically rich people complaining that life is very hard because of the mortgage on their big house and having to pay the nanny.

Thanks!

• Locked thread