Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Yeah, on opposite day.

E: aw drat, pagesnipe.

Uuuuuh, season update? I've had to put demi and LWA on hold due to time constraints, but maidragon and konosuba are still so freaking good.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beelerzebub posted:

So a thing about animal girls continues, but we still can't get a good adaptation of Berserk. Thanks, Obama.

I'm guessing you haven't actually watched Kemono Friends, otherwise you wouldn't be saying this.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I mean, as much as I'm sure I'll like Kemono Friends (i have NO idea why my phone knew that well enough for me to swipe it, and for it to capitalize it automatically) when I eventually watch it, I would sacrifice it in a heartbeat for
A) a good Berserk adaptation (aside from the old stuff), or
B) more Berserk chapters.

Somebody get me a behelit.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I basically said that because it's hella silly to complain about a cheap CG anime getting a second season(?) when a good Berserk adaption would take significantly more time and resources!

Kemono Friends of all things being placed in that either/or hypothetical situation is an odd choice!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I just wanted to make a behelit joke.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In dragon Dentist are the IJN soldiers speaking like they would've back during the Showa era?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Srice posted:

I'm guessing you haven't actually watched Kemono Friends, otherwise you wouldn't be saying this.

I have not. I assume it's good since you're saying this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

I basically said that because it's hella silly to complain about a cheap CG anime getting a second season(?) when a good Berserk adaption would take significantly more time and resources!
i mean, a cheap cg berserk adaptation is also getting a second season

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/836017253585858561

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
We shall not speak of it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Twice the ears, twice better the hearing.

That's how these things work, yeah? :saddowns:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The different ears hear different frequency ranges.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

give up on there being good berserk anime adaptations already jesus christ

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dogsicle posted:

give up on there being good berserk anime adaptations already jesus christ

you're not gonna get something that nearly matches the quality of the art on a tv budget/production schedule/whatever you want to call it anyway

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the best possible adaptation would be big budget ovas like hellsing ultimate. that doesn't look any more likely than a vaguely decent tv show, though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cake Attack posted:

you're not gonna get something that nearly matches the quality of the art on a tv budget/production schedule/whatever you want to call it anyway

That makes me wonder, what the gently caress is JoJo going to do when it gets to Steel Ball Run?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

That makes me wonder, what the gently caress is JoJo going to do when it gets to Steel Ball Run?

the same kinda cheap animation it has used for all previous arcs

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Guy Goodbody posted:

We still have to get through Vento Aureo and Stone Ocean, so I'm sure by 2022 computers will have learned to draw better than humans.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Most of the JoJo tv stuff has just been stills from the manga with camera pans and really good voice performances, so, they'll do that again.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, I'm beginning to think that I'm just not destined to like LWA as much as I want to. It's funny and pretty and all, but I keep waiting for it to commit to at least a little bit more of a driving narrative or slightly more straight-faced character work, but 8 episodes in I'm starting to wonder whether it has any real interest in doing either. Which, I mean, is a perfectly valid thing for a show to be, it's just not what I personally'd most like to see its characters and art design spent on.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, kind of the usual Trigger Writing Drift.

I'll watch all of it, but it's pretty much on the bottom of my list at this point.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
when she brought out her Almost Complete Set of Trading Cards and then solved the problem with the tree with just being ultra-nerdy I thought we had the setup for the show: Magical Problem happens and the solution lies in one of the trading cards, with the missing ultra-rare card being Important Plot Point for the finale.

that idea fizzed harder than her attempts at magic

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beelerzebub posted:

I have not. I assume it's good since you're saying this?

It's good but also the animation quality is kinda similar in scope to the new Berserk's, though since it's not a serious show it works better.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Srice posted:

It's good but also the animation quality is kinda similar in scope to the new Berserk's, though since it's not a serious show it works better.

Both shows look pretty janky, but Kemono Friends vs Berserk is a good example of how the WAY you use CG and the parts of the show surrounding it can matter a lot.

Kemono Friends is an anime original with really clever character design, amazing backgrounds, and a lot of little details packed into how the Friends move and act that evoke their respective animals. The quality of the CG ends up taking a backseat since the rest of the show is so solid, and its idiosyncrasies either end up becoming kind of endearing to you or just stop mattering much since you're having so much fun with the show anyway.

Berserk on the other hand is trying to adapt a manga that is known for it's ridiculously detailed art and dynamic action, and trying to do it with a bunch of lovely looking cel-shaded models with wooden movement and uninspired direction. There's not a lot of wiggle room in the adaptation either since there's literal decades worth of source material already existing that people are expecting to see. If you're at all familiar with the series you're going to be doing plenty of comparison to the manga, and it's going to let you down pretty much every time, because there's just no way to achieve the level of detail the series is known for with that kind of CG. To really do Berserk justice you need some serious big-budget work or at least a studio that knows what they're doing.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, I'm beginning to think that I'm just not destined to like LWA as much as I want to. It's funny and pretty and all, but I keep waiting for it to commit to at least a little bit more of a driving narrative or slightly more straight-faced character work, but 8 episodes in I'm starting to wonder whether it has any real interest in doing either. Which, I mean, is a perfectly valid thing for a show to be, it's just not what I personally'd most like to see its characters and art design spent on.

It IS a 2-cour show, do you think you might be looking for faster pacing than it's planning on doing? I haven't watched episode 8 yet but recent episodes seem to have had Akko actually making some progress in developing some self-awareness and understanding of what her goals should be if she wants to follow in Chariot's footsteps. With 2 cours I kind of expected them to do some episodic stuff early on as they explore the world and characters and have some fun with putting Akko and Co. in different silly situations, so while I can understand where you're coming from, I guess it doesn't bother me as much because that's all I really wanted out of the series in the first place. :v:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Last episode being a 3 minute short extended too long aside, I think LWA has been pretty good about building on itself.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think if LWA wants to drag out Akko's deal for a majority of two cours, it needs to balance that with more character building for the other witches e.g. the Twilight episode. I'm a couple episodes behind at this point, but it's been pretty underwhelming in terms of writing.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

dogsicle posted:

i think if LWA wants to drag out Akko's deal for a majority of two cours, it needs to balance that with more character building for the other witches e.g. the Twilight episode. I'm a couple episodes behind at this point, but it's been pretty underwhelming in terms of writing.

Depending on how many episodes you are behind you missed two episodes worth of at least a little bit of character development for Akko, and a Sucy episode just today. :v:

It's not perfect but I think it's doing well enough considering how much we still have left to go. If you're already behind it might be better to just keep waiting and binge a bunch at once though so you're not having to wait a week all the time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
LWA is kind of impressive in that it's made the stuck-up-perfect-at-everything rival so much more sympathetic and relatable than the MC we ostensibly are meant to cheer for.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

LWA is kind of impressive in that it's made the stuck-up-perfect-at-everything rival so much more sympathetic and relatable than the MC we ostensibly are meant to cheer for.

Yeah I would 100% prefer a version of LWA that teamed Akko up with Diana and Amanda over Lotte and Sucy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah I would 100% prefer a version of LWA that teamed Akko up with Diana and Amanda over Lotte and Sucy.

Nobody badmouths Sucy on my watch :toughguy:

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I've been enjoying LWA quite a bit. It's a highly episodic goofy action comedy that is maybe sold more by the visuals than the script, which is what I expected.

Diana and Amanda would be boring as heck. The fact that Sucy and Akko are clearly a bad influence on Lotte is a funny part of the show, to me.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 27, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Spiritus Nox posted:

Diana, Amanda, Sucy, and that engineer witch whose name I forget would be the LWA dream team.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

DO NOT forget Constanze Amalie von Braunschbank Albrechtsberger's name

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If it has to be three then have Diana/Amanda/CONSTANZE with Sucy's voice as a Ron Howard-like narrator.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Jasminka needs more play tbh

Also if it were up to me I'd write Hannah and Barbara out if the series

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If it were me the show would be about Hannah and Barbara.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
They're the face of the student body's snotty attitude towards outsiders imo and I think that's an important role.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 27, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I love that they have students from all over the world, some of those names are just out there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Nate RFB posted:

If it has to be three then have Diana/Amanda/CONSTANZE with Sucy's voice as a Ron Howard-like narrator.

:allears:

Although I'm not too down with removing Sucy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Sucy is the best character, guys

• Locked thread