Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Tried Minesweeper VR because it was cheap and sounded like it might be a fun one for casual competition at LAN parties.

Nope.

The first two times I played it, it just plain didn't work. The labels that are supposed to overlay the controllers broke and it wouldn't respond to any input. I could walk around the scene and point at things with the laser, but nothing more.

When it decided to work it wasn't that great to play either. Something about the teleport mechanic was weird that I can't really put my finger on, but it made moving around quickly challenging. Combine that with the controls for flagging or clearing a space being somewhat awkward and it was a lot less fun than just playing normal Minesweeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Songbearer posted:

This is super groovy, I wonder if this'll help any with the right hand controller going squirrely after constant intense use. Anyone else experience that? It drifts or flies away when you've been moving it particularly rigorously, taking the battery out and putting it back in solves it pretty much instantly though.

I wonder if it's a driver thing or a mechanical issue. It only happens for me after 20 or 30 minutes of Audioshield, really, so it's not a huge issue, but given that Audioshield is one of my favourite games it can get irritating.

Yeah very common issue. 1.11 fixed it for me for the most part, I'd hope 1.12 will help more people.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/SnNhVTgyjqE
New VR show from Tested. They checked out a new Touch game from inXile (the guys who've done the successor to Planescape: Torment, and also the Bard's Tale games). It's a dungeon crawler called The Mage's Tale. Looks like a cross between Waltz of the Wizard and The Unspoken. Very cool-looking environments and enemies: https://uploadvr.com/the-mages-tale-oculus-touch-inxile/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Songbearer posted:

This is super groovy, I wonder if this'll help any with the right hand controller going squirrely after constant intense use. Anyone else experience that? It drifts or flies away when you've been moving it particularly rigorously, taking the battery out and putting it back in solves it pretty much instantly though.
Wow, I thought the right controller issue was just me or tracking problems in my space! Any idea how fast this is likely to get into beta?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Bhodi posted:

Wow, I thought the right controller issue was just me or tracking problems in my space! Any idea how fast this is likely to get into beta?

It's in beta right now, due out to public before end of month.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

rage-saq posted:

It's in beta right now, due out to public before end of month.
Maybe I don't understand how oculus does betas, because my "beta" app version that I opted into lists it's version as 1.11.0.335615 (1.11.0.343615)

Still, we're 2 days from the end of the month so...

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Apparently there is a controller coming for GearVR.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-samsungs-new-gear-vr-with-controllerpowered-by-oculus/

From the description it sounds like it might have spatial positioning, and Oculus in the comments claims it connects via Bluetooth so it will be compatible with older GearVR headsets.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nalin posted:

Apparently there is a controller coming for GearVR.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-samsungs-new-gear-vr-with-controllerpowered-by-oculus/

From the description it sounds like it might have spatial positioning, and Oculus in the comments claims it connects via Bluetooth so it will be compatible with older GearVR headsets.

It's rotational only with accelerometers to detect movement, so it's basically a Wii Motion Plus or Daydream remote. It even has the same kind of touchpad that the Daydream and Vive has which is certainly interesting.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
If it's a thing with at least one button that works consistently then that already puts it above most of the current controller options for Gear VR.

Gyros and accelerometers aren't enough for hand presence, but you can get pretty nice and precise input from them if you stick to the things they're good at. I use a gyroscopic mouse day-to-day and for anything short of twitch fps's it's completely fine, I'd be perfectly happy using it to control a VR UI.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

If it's a thing with at least one button that works consistently then that already puts it above most of the current controller options for Gear VR.

Gyros and accelerometers aren't enough for hand presence, but you can get pretty nice and precise input from them if you stick to the things they're good at. I use a gyroscopic mouse day-to-day and for anything short of twitch fps's it's completely fine, I'd be perfectly happy using it to control a VR UI.

I didn't say that it was bad, the Daydream controller is pretty neat and works quite well. It just isn't anything new and if anything, shows that Oculus are just playing catch-up with everyone else at this point as opposed to leading the pack.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I honestly don't know who's leading the pack right now on mobile VR? By all rights it should be Daydream, but there seems to be no buzz about it at all; I don't think I've heard a single set of impressions or game recommendations since it's release. Hell, I still hear more people talking up Cardboard than Daydream; I don't know what's up with it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Daydream will pick up steam as it is supported by more phones. Until recently it was only supported by the Pixel which while a good phone is not exactly setting the world on fire either. Whereas Gear VR is compatible with a lot of popular Samsungs.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I need a new phone, and I figure I might as well get one with good VR capability. Should I get Gear VR or Daydream?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/836132626566098946

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SimonChris posted:

I need a new phone, and I figure I might as well get one with good VR capability. Should I get Gear VR or Daydream?

The Gear VR has been around a lot longer, so the marketplace is pretty massive.

Gear VR:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear-vr/

Daydream:
https://vr.google.com/daydream/experiences/
https://www.vrheads.com/every-daydream-app-you-can-install-right-now-and-look-what-comes-next

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks. Is it possible to watch youtube videos in a cinema environment on Gear VR? The Daydream cinema app advertises youtube functionality, but it seems like with Gear VR you have to use a web browser thingy?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SimonChris posted:

Thanks. Is it possible to watch youtube videos in a cinema environment on Gear VR? The Daydream cinema app advertises youtube functionality, but it seems like with Gear VR you have to use a web browser thingy?

Not in the default cinema app, at least. You can watch Facebook Videos, Twitch or Vimeo in it though. Along with whatever's saved to your Phone's Movie folder.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

VALVe to start integrating eye tracking into the Vive. Will have demo units at GDC this week.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Assuming I go with Gear VR, is it worth it to wait for the Galaxy S8, or will an S7 provide the same VR experience? Do we even know for certain yet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SimonChris posted:

Assuming I go with Gear VR, is it worth it to wait for the Galaxy S8, or will an S7 provide the same VR experience? Do we even know for certain yet?

Just get yourself an S7, the actual head-tracking kit is in the headset proper. You can still pick up a free Gear Fit 2 out of it as well, if you're in Australia.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just get yourself an S7, the actual head-tracking kit is in the headset proper. You can still pick up a free Gear Fit 2 out of it as well, if you're in Australia.

I read that the S8 will have a higher quality display, though?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Good. Now we can all armchair about how long it will take for them to bring it to market etc.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Headstrap shipping in June for $99, Trackers are $99, TPCast $249, possible eye tracking attachment...

This hobby is getting really expensive :negative:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How will they add an eye tracking attachment?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Gonna have to be a new HMD to put eye tracking I would think. I mean I could be wrong but that seems like a pretty big thing to just stick in somehow.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

TomR posted:

Gonna have to be a new HMD to put eye tracking I would think. I mean I could be wrong but that seems like a pretty big thing to just stick in somehow.

Not really.

This is the size of the device we are talking about.
http://www.tobiipro.com/product-listing/tobii-pro-glasses-2/

Then again, I'm unsure if they'll actually release some kind of kit for original headsets.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 27, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Pretty amazing, glad one of the big players is leading the charge on eye tracking.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Gen-2 is gon' be great. Just sucks that the vanguard will be paying $2k+ by the end of this to augment their gen-1 hardware.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

Pretty amazing, glad one of the big players is leading the charge on eye tracking.

Indeed. I am loving the Vive and Valve. I hope it forces Oculus to become more competent and drop the exclusivity bullshit. Supposedly Oculus finally fixed their tracking problems with the Touch.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Gen-2 is gon' be great. Just sucks that the vanguard will be paying $2k+ by the end of this to augment their gen-1 hardware.

I'm starting to think Gen 2 is going to blow my expectations away. Whereas I thought Gen2 would be largely the same tech with mild improvements it seems like we might be seeing some radical development instead, foveated rendering making it into gen 2 (if it does) is a huge step forward.

iceaim posted:

Indeed. I am loving the Vive and Valve. I hope it forces Oculus to become more competent and drop the exclusivity bullshit.

Still my beating heart.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
LG is showing off a SteamVR HMD at GDC: http://www.roadtovr.com/lg-reveal-vr-headset-prototype-based-steamvr-tracking-week/?platform=hootsuite

I wonder if Valve has influenced some sort of standardization of controls, moving towards those knuckle controllers. I hope so.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

Still my beating heart.

I originally was planning on buying a Rift because I figured it would be less of a hassle to setup. That would have been a huge mistake, and it was your humorous posts as well Oculus's horrible business practices that ultimately made me decide to switch.

Besides the Vive was a lot easier to setup than I had anticipated.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I appreciate but lets not stray the thread into that direction.

I haven't really been reading this thread much anymore but has there been any 1 to 1 comparisons of Valve's new Audio SDK to Oculus's?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

mad.radhu posted:

Headstrap shipping in June for $99, Trackers are $99, TPCast $249, possible eye tracking attachment...

This hobby is getting really expensive :negative:

I was worried the strap might be more than $100, so I'm kinda glad. It isn't cheap, but it isn't bad.

Will be picking up both the strap and TPCast, though. Expensive has a different meaning after paying $800 for the headset in the first place, and I think they'll be worth it for how much they improve the experience.

Thor-Stryker posted:

This, OTOH, makes me a lot more nervous than $350 worth of upgrades. I'm kinda hoping I'll be able to get by on my Vive until the Vive 3 in 5 years or so.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If someone makes a Rift with lighthouse and eye tracking and a wide FOV so I can see my mirrors in racing games, I'll buy that. Each company got a few pieces of the pie but screwed something else up.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

The article mentions a big advantage "foveated rendering" -- render in high-res the things you're looking at, and low-res elsewhere.

But it didn't mention what I thought was the other big advantage - depth of field -- where it figures out what you're looking at, and pretends your eyes have focused on that distance, so other near/far stuff goes out of focus.

Am I on the right track? Or is this kind of depth-of-field not relevant?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I picked up a Vive last night. I only had a few hours to play with it but it is awesome.
Played Job Simulator for an hour and a little bit of vivecraft.
I picked up some 6ft camera tripods from microcenter with the Vive for the lighthouses, figuring it would give me some flexibility in set up but to move everything I'd need to haul my pc around so I'm going to take the tripods back and just mount the lighthouses on the walls.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ljw1004 posted:

The article mentions a big advantage "foveated rendering" -- render in high-res the things you're looking at, and low-res elsewhere.

But it didn't mention what I thought was the other big advantage - depth of field -- where it figures out what you're looking at, and pretends your eyes have focused on that distance, so other near/far stuff goes out of focus.

Am I on the right track? Or is this kind of depth-of-field not relevant?

That's certainly a possibility. You could probably determine the exact point in 3D space you're focusing on from the different angles at which your eye are turned.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
If the system knows your IPD exactly and can track your eyes then it can use convergence to tell what depth you are looking at. If all of this info gets passed to the game engine then it can use the LOD system to render less complex items outside your focus as well as lower resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
All those things sound nice but more than anything I want stuff to do first :|