Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd love that actually.

Oh it's awesome, don't get me wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGpriv2TAc

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

are they covering your yard and the city is trying to get you evicted???

Nope. All the cars outside the garage run and drive. And all the parts are kept in the garage on shelves.

These fuckers will pass something that guts medicare and screws the poor, and their feet will never be held to the fire despite these town halls.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 27, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
La La Land won the popular vote. Also:

https://twitter.com/cnnpolitics/status/836064318894534661

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017...s-ignoring.html

Uber is burning through Venture Capital to fund its ride program. Current estimates is that ride fares only cover 40% of the cost.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah I've heard prospects that Uber will be dead before the year ends.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

Not to mention Google just slapped them with a Patent Infringement Lawsuit over their LiDAR system, which Google has evidence is a direct ripoff of the tech Google developed by a guy who left Google, but not before downloading nearly all their Self-Driving tech and taking it to Uber.

Google claims to have evidence that the similarities, at the circuit board level, are staggering.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/02/25/231234/the-videogame-industry-is-fighting-right-to-repair-laws

In other news, The Video Game Industry, alongside Apple, is fighting Right to Repair laws.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blind Rasputin posted:

Good.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
As a consumer, Uber is cool.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I think Uber has a big problem coming from simply way too many drivers. The times I've used it, it's all I hear from the drivers. There are so many of them that it's hardly lucrative for them to drive. Maybe market forces will naturally fix this but who knows.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Uber will last exactly as long as their VC funding does. They will close down the second VCs stop pouring money in or demand a profitable business model. They are operating at a loss and have no viable way to turn a profit. Their business model currently ensures them a massive loss on every transaction and there is no way to use economies of scale to reduce costs. Even if every taxi company went out of business tomorrow and UBer had 100% global penetration they would still loose money unless the bumped their prices up to at or near taxi cost because thats the loving cost...bottom line.

They have brand recognition and an app which is really cool and good i guess. Brand recognition and penetration is hard to get and EVERYONE uses it but at the end of the day they aren't profitable and have no way to become profitable. They are so popular because they are so cheap...if they hike prices than other apps and services can come play in the same market space. The brand recognition by that point may be enough....or it may not. People are motivated by cost and $ so idk but their valuation is based upon the assumption that one day Uber will replace taxis globally, significantly expand their ridership and something something autonomous cars, which is a whole separate issue. Right now? If the money stops coming in or they have to raise prices they are turbo hosed

e: regarding cost Uber engages in a buisness model that seeks to off-set cost by pushing it onto the employee contractor or simply ignoring regulations and licensing. If they can sustain this practice their prices will actually be a bit (can't quantify not my area) lower than taxis, however it will be nowhere near as dirt cheap as it is now.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 27, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I like Uber because it's cheap and my Samuel L Jackson credit card gets a free ride every 10 rides. If the prices went up or I didn't get that deal I would use Lyft.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone who has previously had to rely on cabs to get around should love the gently caress out of Uber.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Other than name recognition and using VC money to offer promotions, there's nothing special about Uber. The business model isn't patentable, and in Austin where they pulled out it barely took a few months for a bunch of copycat apps to pop up - all of which are barely more expensive. There will be no great loss if Uber dies, except you will probably get fewer coupons for free rides. We already know taxis are profitable, that's the worst case scenario as far as pricing goes. Requesting a ride from your smartphone is here to stay.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Other than name recognition and using VC money to offer promotions, there's nothing special about Uber. The business model isn't patentable, and in Austin where they pulled out it barely took a few months for a bunch of copycat apps to pop up - all of which are barely more expensive. There will be no great loss if Uber dies, except you will probably get fewer coupons for free rides. We already know taxis are profitable, that's the worst case scenario as far as pricing goes.

No, gently caress taxis. In the DC area it was like pulling teeth getting them to actually show up anywhere on time and God forbid you needed to go between DC, MD, or VA. Uber needs to rework its business model (maybe to help cab companies sucks less), but the slap in the face to the cab industry was needed.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 27, 2017

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Other than name recognition and using VC money to offer promotions, there's nothing special about Uber. The business model isn't patentable, and in Austin where they pulled out it barely took a few months for a bunch of copycat apps to pop up - all of which are barely more expensive. There will be no great loss if Uber dies, except you will probably get fewer coupons for free rides. We already know taxis are profitable, that's the worst case scenario as far as pricing goes. Requesting a ride from your smartphone is here to stay.

In singapore the taxi services even all share an app and you can get rides that way. Uber is faster but is way more expensive than a taxi at peak times.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I hope Uber dies a slow, drawn out death like Kmart.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

psydude posted:

Anyone who has previously had to rely on cabs to get around should love the gently caress out of Uber.

The US just needed to try having non-lovely cabs some time in the last 40 years or so. You know, try to engage in some customer value analysis and then provide a service that actually satisfies more than just the very basic need of the customer. (if that at all)

But somehow, regulation and really weird top-level management (the mysteries of which elude me) turned taxi companies into either lovely businesses barely making do, or dog-eat-dog types of businesses where the worker is Shat on and can barely make a living. Oh, and licenses to drive cabs ("medals", or something? I don't recall) are somehow awarded via actual mob-esque racketeering in larger cities.

And the bottom line has been downright comically-lovely, stereotypically bad cab service for ages now.

I need to watch that documentary or HBO/60 minutes or whatever special again.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 27, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Uber's entire business model is just burning other people's money on subsiziding rides and constant litigation to try and avoid regulation. They don't have any actual plans to make money.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I like that due to social media, someone can request a thing and creative people will be all over it. I dislike that due to social media, the rest of the world's affairs.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

psydude posted:

No, gently caress taxis. In the DC area it was like pulling teeth getting them to actually show up anywhere on time and God forbid you needed to go between DC, MD, or VA. Uber needs to rework its business model (maybe to help can companies sucks less), but the slap in the face to the cab industry was needed.

Yeah this.

Taxis in DC needed a swift kick in the rear end for a long time coming before Uber and Lyft came along.

Between not taking credit cards (even for airport fares), the zone system, and pulling dumb poo poo like outright refusing fares because they didn't want to drive somewhere (which is illegal in DC), Uber has caused them to finally get thier collective poo poo together.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 27, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I hope Lyft beats the hell out of Uber after the reveal of all the sexist poo poo Uber pulls and their stealing tech from Google for their cars.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My experience with Taxis 90% of the time is like this

"We will have one out to you in 15 minutes!"

45 minutes later....

"Well... I sent one out and it should've been there already!"

I don't give a gently caress what should have happened. I wouldn't have such a problem with taxi service if they didn't shovel you poo poo all the time.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

psydude posted:

No, gently caress taxis. In the DC area it was like pulling teeth getting them to actually show up anywhere on time and God forbid you needed to go between DC, MD, or VA. Uber needs to rework its business model (maybe to help cab companies sucks less), but the slap in the face to the cab industry was needed.

Cab prices, not cabs. I am just saying those represent a realistic upper bound for prices for when Uber VC funding dries up or whatever very similar app replaces them if they fold.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Lyft isn't much better than Uber in terms of what they deliver. Where the separation is is how Lyft values working a friendlier public image. Uber has simply not put in meaningful effort in that front.

And hey while we all are tired of brand personas that poo poo matters a lot. Having the goodwill of being perceived as not evil or a place where women can get sexually harassed on their way home buys you a lot of latitude when a brand/organization does make a mistake.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I live in the DC region and don't own a car anymore. I loving hate taxis. I use the poo poo out of Uber because burning VC money is awesome.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I was just dreaming about "driver partners" being correctly classified as employees but then I woke up and remembered we live in Trump's America. 1099s for EVERYONE!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was just dreaming about "driver partners" being correctly classified as employees but then I woke up and remembered we live in Trump's America. 1099s for EVERYONE!

Gonna be difficult to have driver partners when they re-ban gay marriage. :sigh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

redneck nazgul posted:

Gonna be difficult to have driver partners when they re-ban gay marriage. :sigh:

Are you saying women can't drive?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/836227634136756224

This is the guy who said in a deleted tweet that he hopes he never gets doxxed cause he rarely leaves his house.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you wanna eat your steak well done that's no big deal. It just means you don't like your steak to taste like steak and you might as well just eat a hamburger patty.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/AP/status/836235942310645760

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've never had a lovely experience with a cab except for the fare always ending up about 30% higher than I planned.

There are no bars worth visiting within a 30 minute drive, so I've never bothered with Lyft/Uber and don't even know if they operate here.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Ive never been in an Uber, I try and use cabs out of principal. When I was visiting NYC last year my friends tried to get an Uber and he couldn't figure out where we were even though we were standing on a corner and named both streets so we just ended up cabbing it. I don't like Uber because of the labour BS they do but I do like that they have made Toronto cabs shape up a bit better, though I always seem to get cool cabbies from Africa with awesome stories when I get one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

For reference, a quick Google says that's a 9-10% increase over 2016.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sergg posted:

I heavily suspect that Obama is a closeted atheist. Both parents and grandparents were atheists and he was raised as an atheist according to his book until his 20s, when he conveniently found God while working as a community organizer in Chicago's black community, which requires you to network through churches.
Probably so. The UCC is as far liberal and as theologically tolerant as you can get and still be considered mainline protestant (that is, neither (explicitly) unitarian or universalist), and because they're congregationalist, individual churches can go even further. At that point, 'christian' is more understood as a behavior and a direction of action, rather than buying into a rigid belief (without a corresponding emphasis on Christ-like behavior).

yeah well I'd be doubtful that anyone seriously invovled in politics beyond some crazy evangelical hate church is truly religious beyond "this will get me votes"
Unfortunately, 'truly religious' has become synonymous with "crazy evangelical hate church" so nobody notices the people who are quietly trying/ doing

the new testament jesus poo poo

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Layman's question: Does any of that money get allocated to the VA, or is this strictly department-based and the VA is still hosed under the hiring freeze and no extra funding?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Eh. He could be doing a lot worse.

If nothing else, this isn't going to do Russia any favours. Nor will increasing our nuclear stockpiles, since those are a giant albatross on the Russian economy.

I mean the latter is still crazy reckless, and while I think it's fairly clear that Trump's compromised by Russia, at least this means he's not literally a mole.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Layman's question: Does any of that money get allocated to the VA, or is this strictly department-based and the VA is still hosed under the hiring freeze and no extra funding?

The VA is a separate governmental department, not part of DOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/adamcancryn/status/836238485371637761

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/836239036742164481

Donnie Dumbfuck at it again.

• Locked thread