Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not saying he has some carefully calculated Plan B. I'm saying there's good odds on him getting pushed hard enough to go 'gently caress it, kill everything'. Maybe the mobile armour thing (remember that destroying the Hashmal wasn't his Plan A, just a useful suggestion he got from Iok), maybe dropping some of the OERJF's stations on Earth as a distraction to cover his retreat, maybe something else. The way I see it, Rustal has cornered a man with nothing to lose and little affection for the world, and that tends to end poorly.

Theres about as much evidence of him having an armada of MA as there is of him having Bael be powered by dead people. That is not a whole lot and can be easily answered with McG being a secret idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe the mobile armour thi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIIvpPGYjLs&t=4s

McGillis' endgame is and has always been to be the beloved leader of a reformed Gjallarhorn. He's not going to achieve that by Colony Drops and unleashing the absolutely most reviled thing known to Gjallarhorn. Again; his entire endgame was "I get in Bael, people automatically adore me because it's Bael. And he put no thought at all into a single step beyond that or what to do if it didn't go according to plan.

Things are not going according to plan and he's trying to pull a win out of his rear end with what he has.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Another new gundam was teased here. Yet another Kimaris variant? Rustal's gundam?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Another new gundam was teased here. Yet another Kimaris variant? Rustal's gundam?

Rustal's. He's a Seven Star member, and they all have/had their ancestor's Gundam.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm more interested in the Amazing Strike Freedom Gundam on that. Not that I'm particularly attached to the base design; just curious what the difference is when Meijin puts his stamp on it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AtomikKrab posted:

Mcgillis really expected the other seven stars forces, probably would have gotten them without gaileo there to gently caress him over (rustal ain't dumb.) With those he would have had equal numbers to rustals fleet plus tekkadan, since he was holding his own with half and tekkadan (and maybe slowly winning) he would have curbstomped through rustal.

Actually Rustal was decisively winning before he brought out the Deinslaifs. They were pretty much there to make it so that they would win effortlessly.

But yeah if he had gotten the rest of the Seven Stars forces they would have out numbered Rustal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rustal is basically the only person in the series to go "oh hey, those Tekkadan guys have killed literally everyone who hosed with them, I'm not going to take chances" and he STILL almost got railgunned.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rustal's. He's a Seven Star member, and they all have/had their ancestor's Gundam.

I don't understand why people keep saying this. Out of all the Gundams in the show this has only been true for the Kimaris.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Droyer posted:

I don't understand why people keep saying this. Out of all the Gundams in the show this has only been true for the Kimaris.

The Seven Stars are all families descended from Gundam pilots. It wasn't presented as unusual or exceptional that the Bauduins still had their Gundam, so I think it's reasonable to assume that the other families still have their Gundams too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIIvpPGYjLs&t=4s

McGillis' endgame is and has always been to be the beloved leader of a reformed Gjallarhorn. He's not going to achieve that by Colony Drops and unleashing the absolutely most reviled thing known to Gjallarhorn. Again; his entire endgame was "I get in Bael, people automatically adore me because it's Bael. And he put no thought at all into a single step beyond that or what to do if it didn't go according to plan.

Things are not going according to plan and he's trying to pull a win out of his rear end with what he has.

No, he wants to be Agnika Kaeru, the solar system's ultimate symbol of power and violence. He straight-up says that in the Episode 18 flashback. Love and affection are things that he doesn't grasp all that well, and he has no real interest in them, by his own admission. Rustal sums things up pretty nicely in his speech in Episode 19 - Kaeru was a being of the Calamity War. He fought, he won, he died, and then other people picked up the pieces. If McGillis had any interest in building rather then just destroying, he'd have picked a different hero.

McGillis loves violence. He admires and is inspired by Tekkadan's capacity for disruptive brutality, treats the Hashmal, the archenemy of humanity, with cautious reverence, and keeps fighting on the front lines even when it's unnecessary and unhelpful to his goal. I don't believe he has any interest in keeping the solar system intact once he's won - not least since victory for him means a return to the purifying violence of the Calamity War.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 28, 2017

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Seven Stars are all families descended from Gundam pilots. It wasn't presented as unusual or exceptional that the Bauduins still had their Gundam, so I think it's reasonable to assume that the other families still have their Gundams too.

But if that were the case they would have used them. Where was Carta's Gundam when her entire team got brutally murdered by Tekkadan? Where was Mcgillis' Gundam when he assumed command of the Outer Earth etc. fleet? Where was Iok's Gundam when he was desperate to take revenge for his subordinates.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Droyer posted:

But if that were the case they would have used them. Where was Carta's Gundam when her entire team got brutally murdered by Tekkadan? Where was Mcgillis' Gundam when he assumed command of the Outer Earth etc. fleet? Where was Iok's Gundam when he was desperate to take revenge for his subordinates.

There's always the issue of Gundams being built for AV users - it could just be that they're unusable or at least not much better than a modern Gjallarhorn suit without having that. It certainly seemed to be that way for both the Kimaris and Gusion.

In any case, it's also a reminder of their ancestors using cybernetic enhancement, which is another motivation to keep them locked away.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Droyer posted:

Gaelio didnt even know what a gundam was at the start of the series and his house HAD one stored in vingolf or whatever.

Anyways, there is a hint in episode 43. In Baels chamber you can see the crests for each of the families houses on mobile suit sized storage. Gaelios crest is open and empty and so is Baklazan's

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That silhouette's been floating around for at least a month and looks basically like Vidar with a few extra pointy bits. (Check out the feet.) It's probably either a shop that these folks are taking seriously, or was just the filler image to avoid revealing anything about Kimaris Vidar -- which otherwise isn't on that list, and shouldn't its kit be releasing soon?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have been checking around and lots of people are quite mad that Tekkadan is losing and want this fight to be more even.

I am just kind of laughing at them for thinking this would go a different way. When it was clear that Tekkadan was making really bad calls. Like rushing the process and taking risks like allying with McGillis in his coup.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Two questions that recently sprung to my mind, probably stuff I missed because I didn't pay enough attention.

How old are Ogra/Mika/Atra and :byodood: KUDELIIA AINA BERNSTEIN :byodood: right now? I can't find any info on their ages (both pre and post timeskip)
Mika has barely been outside of Barbatos recently, and pretty much perma plugged in, is his leg damage still around after the Hashmal incident?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zedd posted:

Two questions that recently sprung to my mind, probably stuff I missed because I didn't pay enough attention.

How old are Ogra/Mika/Atra and :byodood: KUDELIIA AINA BERNSTEIN :byodood: right now? I can't find any info on their ages (both pre and post timeskip)
Mika has barely been outside of Barbatos recently, and pretty much perma plugged in, is his leg damage still around after the Hashmal incident?

Their ages were never given, so it's hard to say. Seeing how they're orphans, it's very likely Orga, Mika and Atra have no idea how old they are or when they were born. In contrast, we know Kudelia was born on April 8 but we never got a year, nonetheless, she's most likely aware of it. The rest of Tekkadan might not even know what a birthday is.

Mika still has all the damage he's taken from both times he used the Alaya-Vignana at its full power. Half of his body is effectively useless without being connected to Barbatos right now.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This episode has proven that the only sane player left in the game is Kudeliia.

McGilles only understands death and violence
Orga will burn through anything in order to claim Mars
Rustal is a piece of poo poo with a stiffy for the old ways
Iok is Iok.
Galieo is acting like a jealous ex.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish Kudelia was getting more screen time. i know she's going to be critical to the ending but they really are not doing enough to justify it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Who knows, maybe Kudelia comes in to save the day, forcing both sides to stand down before the might of her ragtag fleet made from the combined forces of Teiwaz and all the militaries of Earth.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zedd posted:

Kudelia is only slightly older than Mika and Atra. I think kudelia is 17 right now with Mika and Atra being around 15. The director has gone out and said Mika's small size is mostly because of undernourishment when he was younger. Same probably applies to Atra.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argas posted:

Who knows, maybe Kudelia comes in to save the day, forcing both sides to stand down before the might of her ragtag fleet made from the combined forces of Teiwaz and all the militaries of Earth.

I said it before, but with the Dort uprising and the uprising Gaelio put down this season, I think they've laid enough groundwork for it to not be total a Deus ex Machina if Kudelia shows up leading a Glorious Worker's Army.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Guy Goodbody posted:

I said it before, but with the Dort uprising and the uprising Gaelio put down this season, I think they've laid enough groundwork for it to not be total a Deus ex Machina if Kudelia shows up leading a Glorious Worker's Army.

The main issue is that unless Earth's military buildup completely exploded, it still wouldn't be enough. However, Gjallarhorn's official stance has always been that they're not of the four economic blocs. The rebellion put it very nicely how hosed up Gjallarhorn is and exposed it to everyone. It'd be one thing to just trash the new fleet of ships and MS but it's also a statement from the world that they're just so sick of this Gjallarhorn poo poo.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Kudelia is only slightly older than Mika and Atra. I think kudelia is 17 right now with Mika and Atra being around 15. The director has gone out and said Mika's small size is mostly because of undernourishment when he was younger. Same probably applies to Atra.
Fair enough, makes all the babytalk a bit less confusing considering Mika/Atra both still look 12. :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

This episode has proven that the only sane player left in the game is Kudeliia.

McGilles only understands death and violence
Orga will burn through anything in order to claim Mars
Rustal is a piece of poo poo with a stiffy for the old ways
Iok is Iok.
Galieo is acting like a jealous ex.

I'd say Orga's still sane. He's clearly realized how much he's hosed up, it's just that, through bad luck and even worse decisions, he's out of options that aren't "work with total loving lunatic".

If he gets an out, he'd probably cling onto it with both hands.

As for ages, I think the general idea for Mika in season 1 is 15-ish, and the same for Atra. Season 2 is after somewhere around 2 years of timeskips, and since Kudelia started the series at 16, she's at least 18 now.

Childhood malnutrition and crippling surgery do a number on growth.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also, some people are just gary coleman

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say Orga's still sane. He's clearly realized how much he's hosed up, it's just that, through bad luck and even worse decisions, he's out of options that aren't "work with total loving lunatic".

That went surprisingly unremarked. Orga actually for once saw his lovely hand and wanted to fold.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah it's nice to see the culmination of orga's strategy of"get to the end point as fast possible" has royally bit him in the rear end.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 28, 2017

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Guy Goodbody posted:

Argas posted:

The main issue is that unless Earth's military buildup completely exploded, it still wouldn't be enough. However, Gjallarhorn's official stance has always been that they're not of the four economic blocs. The rebellion put it very nicely how hosed up Gjallarhorn is and exposed it to everyone. It'd be one thing to just trash the new fleet of ships and MS but it's also a statement from the world that they're just so sick of this Gjallarhorn poo poo.

I don't think they're going for a big revolution being the reason everyone stops, but instead after everything's done, the economic blocks will just say "gently caress it, we're done. You're all too exhausted to stop us, and we're gonna fix this."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Even if McGillis dies, the death of Gjallarhorn is still gonna be a pretty big win for him.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
It seems like things are currently mirroring the Dort uprising, and will probably have a similar resolution. They use the same setup, a false flag attack that justifies a dissproporanate use of force by g'horn. Our heroes are vastly out numbered and are quite certain to be shortly destroyed. A perfect opportunity for Kudelia to reemerge, which would be a perfect capstone to the series. The problems of economic injustice and soul crushing poverty will never be solved by force of arms.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Episode 47s name showed up in the tv guide and its apparently Sacrifice so unless its a convincing fake it looks like the fight goes on longer than usual. 48 is probably another combat episode leaving 2 for the aftermath of it and epilogue. Probably not enough time to get another fight in between even if the fight ends at 47

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
So uh... how is Julieta in a non-Zero-System MS going toe to toe with Mikazuki in the Legit A Mobile Armor Plus Zero System?

Gundam shows sometimes have a problem with going a little too far to show the protagonist isn't the best pilot, like 00 season I when the only reason Setsuna wasn't roadkill was because nobody had anything that could penetrate the main suit's armor which was a Plot-based alloy. I wouldn't mind so much if it was early on and we were showing that Human Debris weren't always all that but Mika needs to dip into hotblood just to take out someone who's in what amounts to a GMIII or Jegan. That's embarrassing. Even if the pilot were Literally Amuro it would still be plot armor against facts.

Would it have killed them to just add that the OS has some Ein AI in it that compensates against Zero System suits? At least then we'd be in the realm of anime logic.

If the Dainsleif can shoot through a whole wad of mobile suits, there was no point to the entire final charge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mika is talented but his talent is in a very specific field. He is brutish and animalistic and fights not like a trained pilot but like he's using his own body, a side effect of having always piloted using the AV system. (McGillis points this flaw out in the first season in fact.) He's extremely good but he's extremely good because of his pure power and extreme disregard of danger or rules. We saw as early as Season 1 that Mika can be overwhelmed by someone who fights him with a strategy rather than trying to go toe-to-toe with him on a pure power level. Lafter (though Mika's suit was crippled) and Gaelio both came the closest to giving him a genuinely good fight. Something that kinda gets overlooked is that Mika very rarely fights anyone for long. He favors finishing fights very quickly and if he can't he has a harder time putting the enemy down. He's all about making his first blow his last wherever possible.

Mika is probably genuinely not in the top 5 pilots in the setting *on pure skill alone.* He is when you count his custom-tailored Gundam, multiple Whiskers and the fact he genuinely barely cares if he's injured or hurt. However that means as other pilots begin to push themselves they can push Mika even if they're at a disadvantage. They probably can't beat Mika because his advantages but they can force Mika into the position where he has to fight them instead of kill them and that is where Mika can make mistakes as he did this episode.

At the end of the day Mika can probably kill literally anyone in the setting and win any fight, but that is why so many enemy plans for dealing with him just involve keeping him busy until another objective is completed. You don't need to kill Mika to limit his effectiveness, just prevent him him from acting as freely as he would like.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Personally, I think Mika's strengths is just being the very peak of being good wtih the AV system. The show tends to depict melee as being better than ranged due to armor effectiveness, and then gives pilots who use the AV system an immediate advantage. They move more naturally and more confidently because the AV system allows them to move a giant humanoid machine as an extension of themselves, whereas even the best trained pilots have a disconnect between them and the machine. This isn't an insurmountable advantage but it's a huge edge in melee combat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Mika is talented but his talent is in a very specific field. He is brutish and animalistic and fights not like a trained pilot but like he's using his own body, a side effect of having always piloted using the AV system. (McGillis points this flaw out in the first season in fact.) He's extremely good but he's extremely good because of his pure power and extreme disregard of danger or rules. We saw as early as Season 1 that Mika can be overwhelmed by someone who fights him with a strategy rather than trying to go toe-to-toe with him on a pure power level. Lafter (though Mika's suit was crippled) and Gaelio both came the closest to giving him a genuinely good fight. Something that kinda gets overlooked is that Mika very rarely fights anyone for long. He favors finishing fights very quickly and if he can't he has a harder time putting the enemy down. He's all about making his first blow his last wherever possible.

Mika is probably genuinely not in the top 5 pilots in the setting *on pure skill alone.* He is when you count his custom-tailored Gundam, multiple Whiskers and the fact he genuinely barely cares if he's injured or hurt. However that means as other pilots begin to push themselves they can push Mika even if they're at a disadvantage. They probably can't beat Mika because his advantages but they can force Mika into the position where he has to fight them instead of kill them and that is where Mika can make mistakes as he did this episode.

At the end of the day Mika can probably kill literally anyone in the setting and win any fight, but that is why so many enemy plans for dealing with him just involve keeping him busy until another objective is completed. You don't need to kill Mika to limit his effectiveness, just prevent him him from acting as freely as he would like.

Don't forget that Crank managed to give him a couple of remarkably close fights despite flying a humble Graze and never going into battle with a gun.

Julietta was basically doing to him what McGillis did to Gaelio in the battle of Edmonton, using an incredibly finely-tuned, agile machine to allow her to exercise her incredible piloting skills to the fullest and dance around her stronger but less nimble opponent. Mika is hella fast, but momentum is a cruel mistress.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is more then just his AV system. Even outside of the suit when he could actually move around Mika was a force to be reckoned with. At the end of the day Mika is a killer not a soldier. Anything that requires more finesse will be an issue for him but against all but the most skilled opponents he will be able to just smash through them. The best way to gauge him in a drawn out battle is his fight with Lafter. She had the upper hand as long as she was able to set the battle on her terms but the moment she slips up she is all but done for. We saw the exact same thing when he fought Gaelio. Gaelio could have the upper hand as long as he was dictating the fight, but when the tide started to turn Gaelio was done for.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

revdrkevind posted:

So uh... how is Julieta in a non-Zero-System MS going toe to toe with Mikazuki in the Legit A Mobile Armor Plus Zero System?

Gundam shows sometimes have a problem with going a little too far to show the protagonist isn't the best pilot, like 00 season I when the only reason Setsuna wasn't roadkill was because nobody had anything that could penetrate the main suit's armor which was a Plot-based alloy. I wouldn't mind so much if it was early on and we were showing that Human Debris weren't always all that but Mika needs to dip into hotblood just to take out someone who's in what amounts to a GMIII or Jegan. That's embarrassing. Even if the pilot were Literally Amuro it would still be plot armor against facts.

Would it have killed them to just add that the OS has some Ein AI in it that compensates against Zero System suits? At least then we'd be in the realm of anime logic.

If the Dainsleif can shoot through a whole wad of mobile suits, there was no point to the entire final charge.

The thing is, Mika's fighting to win, and Julieta's fighting to not lose, and those lead to very different styles. Mika's trying to kill her, but Julieta is a very talented pilot who's playing to slow Mika down in the most survivable suit in the setting (remember, Amida said she'd scored three killshots on it and it was still in the fight. Julia's a tough piece of work.) which means, for the moment, she's got the easier job.

Mika tends to get murder tunnel vision. Normally, it works out for him, because the murder goes fast and he can kill someone else, but with the Julia, killing is slow and awkward, which meant that Julieta was winning despite being in the middle of a standard issue Mikazuki Augus brand asskicking.

Her whole little "This is how I'm fighting" speech was even about that. She's not playing Rocky IV, where she can win with hard work and guts. She's original flavor Rocky, who doesn't even have a puncher's chance, and can only try to stay standing long enough to not lose.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mika is the sort of fighter where you have to constantly be at 100% to stand a chance and a single gently caress up will cost you your life. Like Julietta for most of the episode was barely an annoyance to him, but he hasn't even gone murder eyes yet, let alone pushing the AV and the suit to the limits.

Despite the stakes, I feel like Mika hasn't gotten serious yet in the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Mika is the sort of fighter where you have to constantly be at 100% to stand a chance and a single gently caress up will cost you your life. Like Julietta for most of the episode was barely an annoyance to him, but he hasn't even gone murder eyes yet, let alone pushing the AV and the suit to the limits.

Despite the stakes, I feel like Mika hasn't gotten serious yet in the fight.

He's fighting conservatively because there's an actual battle going on that he needs to pay attention to. Meanwhile, Julietta is just hurling herself at him over and over again to no real effect.

• Locked thread