Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hey thread, thanks for the advice, really enjoying my new TV (X930D Sony)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm looking for a new bedroom TV because my current 32" bedroom TV isn't large enough to view from across the bedroom. I'm thinking something in the 40" range would be good enough since I'll be watching TV/playing video games from around 8-9 feet away. My budget is $400 or less. Suggestions?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

spasticColon posted:

I'm looking for a new bedroom TV because my current 32" bedroom TV isn't large enough to view from across the bedroom. I'm thinking something in the 40" range would be good enough since I'll be watching TV/playing video games from around 8-9 feet away. My budget is $400 or less. Suggestions?

Uhh maybe this?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/JVC-LT-50EM76-50-1080p-60Hz-LED-LCD-HDTV/51222762

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

That's a good price but for my setup I think a 50" TV would be excessive. I'm thinking 40"-45" range but has to have 3 HDMI ports (PC, PS4, and Fire stick) and optical audio out for my soundbar unless some larger TVs have much better built-in speakers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I understand what you're saying but you won't save any money by going with the smaller size. Plus I'm willing to bet once you have it you'll be glad you did.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

GreenNight posted:

I understand what you're saying but you won't save any money by going with the smaller size. Plus I'm willing to bet once you have it you'll be glad you did.

If it's the same cost definitely get the bigger one. We moved our 55" into the bedroom when we got our 65" and just like in the living room or wherever, it looks sorta silly at first but within a day or two you just sort of think, "Why didn't we have one this big before?" or "we could have gone even bigger" and it fits right in.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well after taking some measurements a 50" TV would fit where I'm wanting to put it in the bedroom but I don't see in the pictures where it has digital audio out for my soundbar.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

At that price, it might not. Features tend to get dropped when you go low budget.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It has a coax digital out, of all the oddball things.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Dogen posted:

It has a coax digital out, of all the oddball things.

Yeah I saw that but the soundbar only has optical input for digital audio and RCA input for analog audio. I actually tried using analog audio from my current TV to the soundbar but got bad background hissing but then I noticed my TV and Soundbar (Both Vizio Brand BTW) supported optical audio so then I got the cable for that and now the sound is really crisp. I said my budget is $400 so I'm willing to spend a bit more in order to get a TV with optical audio out and 3 HDMI ports if possible. Are Insignia brand HDTVs any good or should I avoid those like the plague?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The input and output situation on current TVs and A/V devices is a lottery of poo poo that never matches up with what you need to hook up to it. Every new A/V output device in the world is now HDMI basically, so why are there still new TVs being produced now that only have 1 or 2 HDMI inputs? And on the other side of that coin, there are still millions of TVs in use with limited HDMI support, so logically every A/V output device (DVR, Blu-ray, etc.) should have component video out feeds and L/R RCA stereo out jacks, for legacy support. But it's all hosed up over copy protection and bean counting and poo poo. Maybe I do want to use a 4k blu ray player with a 480p plasma with no HDMI support and a 40 year old tube amp for my sound. That should not be treated like a fringe case. (Edit: this is just an example to illustrate my point. My blu ray is only 1080p and the amp is only 30 years old and is solid state.)

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 24, 2017

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Just get a modern amp with 5+ HDMI ports and use that as your switcher. #firstworldprobs

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

spasticColon posted:

Yeah I saw that but the soundbar only has optical input for digital audio and RCA input for analog audio. I actually tried using analog audio from my current TV to the soundbar but got bad background hissing but then I noticed my TV and Soundbar (Both Vizio Brand BTW) supported optical audio so then I got the cable for that and now the sound is really crisp. I said my budget is $400 so I'm willing to spend a bit more in order to get a TV with optical audio out and 3 HDMI ports if possible. Are Insignia brand HDTVs any good or should I avoid those like the plague?

It's Best Buy's house brand (rebranded sets from a variety of manufacturers). I've not heard good things.

See if you can get a KU6290 from Best Buy? Someone was saying they got a good deal one of those there recently.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Dogen posted:

It's Best Buy's house brand (rebranded sets from a variety of manufacturers). I've not heard good things.

See if you can get a KU6290 from Best Buy? Someone was saying they got a good deal one of those there recently.

They were $499 and $359-$399 open box but they are back up to $800 now.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

My LG 55" B6 arrived in a box the size of a small mattress. Beautiful picture, though for a lot of broadcast TV, I don't notice a huge difference over its predecessor (a 5 year old Vizio M-series). I didn't realize how stark of a difference the blacks* are until I played a PS4 game with a day-night cycle. On the Vizio, night looked like it does on a full moon; dark, sure, but you still have decent visibility. On the LG, night is dark enough that I have to alter how I play.

* not racist

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bill Barber posted:

Just get a modern amp with 5+ HDMI ports and use that as your switcher. #firstworldprobs

I was using an optical from my TV until I discovered HDMI ARC which seems to be pretty good, but it doesn't solve the number of inputs issue necessarily. But how many does one need? A Smart TV should eliminate most inputs that you need, but I guess those are the ones that come with the most HDMI ports.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 25, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bob Socko posted:

My LG 55" B6 arrived in a box the size of a small mattress. Beautiful picture, though for a lot of broadcast TV, I don't notice a huge difference over its predecessor (a 5 year old Vizio M-series). I didn't realize how stark of a difference the blacks* are until I played a PS4 game with a day-night cycle. On the Vizio, night looked like it does on a full moon; dark, sure, but you still have decent visibility. On the LG, night is dark enough that I have to alter how I play.

* not racist

That sounds like miscalibration. A similar amount of detail should be visible. The LG will have black blacks instead of gray blacks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Could also be difference in HDR and not if the game supports it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Once I got my TV set for movies I typically had to bump the brightness a bit up from neutral in a lot of games. Fortunately that's the most common in-game adjustment available so I don't have to change my TV settings.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I am glad I found this thread as I have a nearly 8 year old samsung 1080p that just went super black like the bulb burned out or something and is now basically a radio. I need a new 50" TV for gaming and general viewing. I've read the Sony XBR series is ok? I am hoping to find a TV for ~$500-700 because I am poor and really did not expect this to happen. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
Any recommendations for a 40" TV with minimal input lag?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Petition to change the thread title to "TVs are 55" or larger now, deal with it"

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
A 40" is what I would put in my guest room, and apologize for it to guests. "Yes, there is a tv, but it's only 40 inches, I'm sure it will do for tonight, sorry."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Guests hanging in your spare bedroom watching TV instead of anything doing anything else.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You can get cheap horrible garbage in the 40" range, but if you want a great picture you must accept 55" or larger.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreenNight posted:

Guests hanging in your spare bedroom watching TV instead of anything doing anything else.

Eh, "guests" can include in-laws in town for an extended amount of time, sometimes everybody can use a break from each other.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Would *you* want to hang out with a goon? Come on now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

If I'm staying at their house, sure.

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
Well i'm asking for a 40" because of the room size. Anything bigger wouldn't fit.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dogen posted:

I've been using a 40" one of these as my office tv since black friday and it's been great, it was in the $299ish range all through the holidays, looks like around $380ish now.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 27, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You can still get a 40" Sony or Samsung with a decent [but not top of the line] picture.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I hung up a 40" Samsung KU6300 above my computer monitors in my bedroom and it's pretty cool.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think you are going to get the best long term value from a Sony at this point since they've committed to putting HDR in every 2017 TV 1080p and above.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Thanks for the calibration suggestions, everyone. I figured that making the darkness a meaningful impediment was good game design, but I'm probably overthinking it; the game is Dragon Quest Builders, which is just a Dragon Warrior themed Minecraft knockoff.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

KS8000 YouTube app stopped working all of the sudden. It just hangs on a black screen. Ideas?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Force quit the app?

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

Everyone in this thread seems pretty high on the KS8000, but is there anything wrong with the KS9000? Amazon doesn't have the 55" KS8000 in stock except for used but does appear to have the 55" KS9000 for the same price as Frys has the 55" KS8000.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's a little bit nicer than the 8000 (better motion handling and peak brightness) so if you have to have a 55" TV go for it.

I'd buy a larger TV instead though probably.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

YouTube suddenly started working again, now HBO Now doesn't. It tells me "You must sign in to your Samsung account to use this feature" and when I click sign in it says "Unable to connect to the Samsung server. Please update your TV's software to solve this problem. (172)" - I am on the most recent software version.

This is the third major software issue I've had in the two weeks I've had this TV and it's really starting to piss me off. Any ideas about this one?

Edit: Samsung support just had me reset back to factory. Sigh. I hope I don't have to do this every two weeks.

What the gently caress. Now when I try to sign in it says my password must be between 6-15 characters, and mine is longer (I can use it to sign into my Samsung account here: https://account.samsung.com/membership/service/getServieInfoList.do ) but I can't enter it in this god forsaken UI.

Edit 2: Samsung support says I have to change my password to something shorter. This is a goddamn joke.

Also, my wireless internet connection to the TV still isn't working.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

dantheman650 posted:

YouTube suddenly started working again, now HBO Now doesn't. It tells me "You must sign in to your Samsung account to use this feature" and when I click sign in it says "Unable to connect to the Samsung server. Please update your TV's software to solve this problem. (172)" - I am on the most recent software version.

This is the third major software issue I've had in the two weeks I've had this TV and it's really starting to piss me off. Any ideas about this one?

Edit: Samsung support just had me reset back to factory. Sigh. I hope I don't have to do this every two weeks.

What the gently caress. Now when I try to sign in it says my password must be between 6-15 characters, and mine is longer (I can use it to sign into my Samsung account here: https://account.samsung.com/membership/service/getServieInfoList.do ) but I can't enter it in this god forsaken UI.

Edit 2: Samsung support says I have to change my password to something shorter. This is a goddamn joke.

Also, my wireless internet connection to the TV still isn't working.

I had the utterly unsolvable wifi problem and a whole slew of app issues (Netflix randomly not working, YouTube app black screening and then showing up in Chinese later). Then a vertical line of dead pixels appeared and I returned the damnable thing. Samsung wanted to send someone for in-home repairs which sounded like the entryway for a rabbit hole of bullshit so I just asked Amazon nicely to take it two days outside of the return window, which they did.

I'm just venting at this point but between the wifi and software issues I was already extremely close to returning it anyway - you're not alone in your frustrations there.

E: basically what I'm saying is that if returning it for an entirely new unit is feasible I would probably do it.

I opted for a similarly priced LG7700 instead which is going well enough so far - wifi still works.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 1, 2017