Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Kjoery posted:

in which spunky doesnt understand neural nets, machine learning, and basic capitalism

In which Kjoery doesn't understand the difference between the present and the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

That interview is only focusing on the manufacturing sector, it's absolutely not looking at the global picture.

Robots are actually taking over all sectors, now even day traders or cashiers are in competition with algorithms.

What I'm saying is blame the loving robots

Day traders are hosed, the computers just go in there and make millions of transactions, I don't think anyone is crying over them haha, but then to take their place you get people who write the algorithms so I don't know what the trade off is

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Day traders are hosed, the computers just go in there and make millions of transactions, I don't think anyone is crying over them haha, but then to take their place you get people who write the algorithms so I don't know what the trade off is

So you actually agree robots are taking jobs (and not only trader's ones), and only create a few specific ones (coders).

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Coders jobs which are also easier to outsource to India

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
It's almost like when one job disappears it motivates people to find other ways to offer value to the economy. Huh so weird what a novel concept.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...m=.9cfd70a9f6fd

This interview in the Washington Post (by some miracle) says automation has nothing to do with it and it's all due to globalization

you found one source who says that, but everything else says different. most of the manufacturing jobs have gone to robots, not outsourcing. even outsourced jobs are now getting automated. humans dont make your iphone anymore

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Smeed posted:

It's almost like when one job disappears it motivates people to find other ways to offer value to the economy. Huh so weird what a novel concept.

what we are saying is the rules are changing. that new job people move to will also quickly be automated

you can even automate programming and IT work. you can automate automation

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...m=.9cfd70a9f6fd

This interview in the Washington Post (by some miracle) says automation has nothing to do with it and it's all due to globalization

phew, well it's a good thing there aren't real world examples of jobs that have been replaced by automation!

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Smeed posted:

which is totally why participation rate isn't dropping like a rock

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Kjoery posted:

in which spunky doesnt understand neural nets, machine learning, and basic capitalism

nobody else in the world really understands neural nets either, and machine learning has limits too

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

nobody else in the world really understands neural nets either, and machine learning has limits too

what are the limits of machine learning? Be specific, and be sure to explain why those limits will never be overcome.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Professor SJW posted:

what we are saying is the rules are changing. that new job people move to will also quickly be automated

you can even automate programming and IT work. you can automate automation

sorry there's no future for you grandpa. The world belongs to nerds now :spergin:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Smeed posted:

yes this has happened throughout the 20th century and is still happening and new economy sectors are being created using technology

also we already work some insane amount of hours less than our counterparts back in like 1900

how old is the average poster itt that we literally have an apocalyptic luddite crew lmao

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

sorry there's no future for you grandpa. The world belongs to nerds now :spergin:

lol its true

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

runupon cracker posted:

what are the limits of machine learning? Be specific, and be sure to explain why those limits will never be overcome.

if you mean theoretical there is for example the no free lunch theorem

but i assume your question is really about economics

machine learning is an extremely useful tool but it's not going to suddenly progress so quickly that we will abolish catastrophic amounts of human jobs. it's extremely difficult research and between major advances there is plenty of time for the workforce to adapt and new economic activity to develop

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm just gonna find the biggest robot I can and suck its dick and then I'll be under his protection.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

So you actually agree robots are taking jobs (and not only trader's ones), and only create a few specific ones (coders).

Of course automation and robots are taking jobs but a lot of people seem to think this somehow negates the effect of globalization and use it to justify off shoring factories

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Of course automation and robots are taking jobs but a lot of people seem to think this somehow negates the effect of globalization and use it to justify off shoring factories

i think people are worried because trump hasn't mentioned automation even once. not even a tweet. and since it's actually the thing that has taken the majority of manufacturing jobs that makes people feel like he doesnt have the right priorities

you know that plant he "saved" in indiana? those jobs arent going to mexico but recently they announced they are automating a lot of them. so yay american robots got jobs

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Professor SJW posted:

i think people are worried because trump hasn't mentioned automation even once. not even a tweet. and since it's actually the thing that has taken the majority of manufacturing jobs that makes people feel like he doesnt have the right priorities

you know that plant he "saved" in indiana? those jobs arent going to mexico but recently they announced they are automating a lot of them. so yay american robots got jobs

Yah but like I told either you or Moridin, if you got the plants here you can seize them one day for the proletariat to nationalize or go in and smash all the robots if they're in Mexico you're powerless

Also its still good to manufacture things here for trade ya know

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if you mean theoretical there is for example the no free lunch theorem

but i assume your question is really about economics

machine learning is an extremely useful tool but it's not going to suddenly progress so quickly that we will abolish catastrophic amounts of human jobs. it's extremely difficult research and between major advances there is plenty of time for the workforce to adapt and new economic activity to develop

Yeah like in manufacturing where-

Professor SJW posted:

oh.

So we'll just train people to be tech savvy and

collegedebt.com posted:

http://collegedebt.com/
CURRENT STUDENT LOAN DEBT IN THE UNITED STATES
Student Loans : $1,483,041,125,844.70

oh.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

scrubs season six posted:

I'm just gonna find the biggest robot I can and suck its dick and then I'll be under his protection.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

scrubs season six posted:

They'll make a robot that can suck so many robot dicks you'll be obsolete

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
loving robots taking performance art jobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JestwuC1Cik

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

revdrkevind posted:

Yeah like in manufacturing where-

oh.

So we'll just train people to be tech savvy and

oh.

so is this the part where you pretend these are insurmountable problems or what

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

so is this the part where you pretend these are insurmountable problems or what
they're not insurmountable you frog-brained cumguzzler, we've been discussing solutions in this very thread

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
You know who really hates the idea of computers and robots taking jobs and taking over? Alex Jones. Anti-human Technocracy he calls it

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Kjoery posted:

they're not insurmountable you frog-brained cumguzzler, we've been discussing solutions in this very thread

okay? thanks for telling me what i already know

e: you seriously haven't even read my post have you kjoery lol

Bulgogi Hoagie fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 27, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Moridin you're a loving moron, no one here is your "fam" despite your insistence on using retarded high school words to describe familiarity every post you make. I guess I'm a big gbs boogeyman because I tend to take a harsh stance on pot abuse but Jesus Christ is your brain really this fried?

Are you so fried that you really think 'fam' means I think you're all my loving family? lmao fuckin idiot. I just heard Skepta use it a lot and I'm diggin it (esp 'cuz it annoys the gently caress out of idiots like you for some reason).

Why is that post the one you took offence at btw, the one that is in response to "racial tensions in the 90s were much better than they were today" which is objectively a pretty erroneous statement?

T.S. Smelliot posted:

I tend to take a harsh stance on pot abuse

tell me more

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Haha yeah marijuana is like, NOT a drug that is/can be considered a drug of abuse, like, guys, fuckin squares, mannnnn *zones out staring at wall for 10 mins*, like, I completely think marijuanas decades long rep as a drug for lazy unproductive brain dead idiots is totallyyyy, like, done by the government and George Bush mannn, and like, *falls asleep*

lmao look at you

look at how stupid you are

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 27, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Why is that post the one you took offence at btw, the one that is in response to "racial tensions in the 90s were much better than they were today" which is objectively a pretty erroneous statement?

Haha were you even like a conscious creature then?

And You're even wrong "objectively"

http://www.gallup.com/poll/190574/worries-race-relations-reach-new-high.aspx

Do some research man

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

okay? thanks for telling me what i already know

e: you seriously haven't even read my post have you kjoery lol
from what i've read, you're of the school of thought that this wave of automation is just like the others - that it'll create new areas of industries which cannot be automated and that humans will be able to preform.

the thing is, automation via machine learning doesn't quite follow this rule. the new areas of industry that are opened up will not go to humans - they'll go to robots. i suspect you may fundamentally misunderstand how powerful and flexible the algorithm is.

i am sorry for calling you a frog-brained cumguzzler though. i was really excited to use the insult on someone, and got ahead of myself (to be fair, the cumguzzler part isnt an insult. guzzling cum is great)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Haha were you even like a conscious creature then?

And You're even wrong "objectively"

http://www.gallup.com/poll/190574/worries-race-relations-reach-new-high.aspx

Do some research man

Just because minorities are more vocal about their issues today does not mean they did not exist back then. This is what your link says:

quote:

35% of Americans are worried a great deal about race relations
Number has more than doubled in past two years

Yeah I'm pretty sure there are indeed more white people worried about race relations??? So what?

quote:

Blacks 45 31 53
Whites 15 14 27

White worry almost doubled, black worry stayed about the same.

ALSO,

quote:

More than a third (35%) of Americans now say they are worried "a great deal" about race relations in the U.S. -- which is higher than at any time since Gallup first asked the question in 2001.

So that's kind of meaningless since we're comparing to the 90s yeah?

I mean cmon man at least double check what you're linking.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 27, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

So that's kind of meaningless since we're comparing to the 90s yeah?

I mean cmon man at least double check what you're linking.

I said late 90's bro which is pretty close to 2001

As a human being that was almost an adult in the late 90's, we weren't close to a race war like today. It was much more harmonious

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I said late 90's bro which is pretty close to 2001

Oh come the gently caress on with this goal moving bullshit man.

Alright fine, even if I concede that, my point of "black people are just as worried as they ever have been, white people are just worried more. That doesn't mean racial issues were better in the 90s in of itself" still stands no?

quote:

Blacks 45 31 53
Whites 15 14 27

Black worry took a dip in 2012-2014, otherwise it was about 1 in 2 ever since the start of that poll. Right? It's just white people are worried more bc black people are becoming more politically conscious since the first time since COINTELPRO hosed up the Panthers.

These racial tensions and issues existed in the 90s, too, it just wasn't as on the surface because economic times were okay. They didn't just appear in the 2010s out of nowhere. poo poo wasn't great for minorities in the 90s just because their complaints were less vocal.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 27, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Oh come the gently caress on with this goal moving bullshit man.

Goal moving bullshit? I always said late 90's. Early 90's was Rodney king and stuff but after that it got chilled out and then late 90's up until the last couple years it has been fine, then BLM started getting tons of media attention and with the presidential race it went ballistic

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

As a human being that was almost an adult in the late 90's, we weren't close to a race war like today. It was much more harmonious

Well I lived in CA in the 90s and it was pretty much close to race war when the LA riots happened. I know your previous response was "well but that was '92, too early" so whatever.

We can disagree man whatever, it was more just that I was amazed that that was the post Smelliot decided was beyond the pale on my part. I make some pretty dumb posts so why that one?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
truck drivers will be automated out of existence within the next 5 years

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

thathonkey posted:

truck drivers will be automated out of existence within the next 5 years

Doubt it. 5 years to develop safe technologies, get them legalized, get the system adapted to them, and then have all the companies switch over?

Nah

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Doubt it. 5 years to develop safe technologies, get them legalized, get the system adapted to them, and then have all the companies switch over?

Nah
i thought there already were self driving trucks on the road

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Can't wait for there to be 40 ton driverless semis barreling down the expressway at 70 mph thats not scary at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's a scary thought but if they are statistically safer than humans then whatevs. Think about all the drivers on long rear end runs popping amphetamines.

But yeah I agree it'll take longer than just 5 years.

• Locked thread