Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

Anyway, verdict on the originals? I feel like the protagonists have a little more life to them than in a while, but I'm not sure about the villains, they're sorta...there-seeming.

The originals are the best since Z1 I think in terms of personality. The villains are basically barely there but after Original Generation Z3: Featuring Some Robot Shows, I'm fine with that. scaling it back to a low-grade original villain thread instead of a setting-dominating one is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Pureauthor posted:

I gotta say that if you're going to include Cross Ange and Embryo in the game, having literally every playable female in the cast chew him out on being a worthless loser and having Leonard Testarossa call you 'creepy' and, I quote, an 'odious wretch' is probably the correct way to go about it.

hahaha, that's great, I knew in some way this would happen and it's better than I thought

I figured Leonard would just be working with that guy and they'd be a smug duo of intolerable shits so I'm glad the guy at least has standards!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The devs really seem to love Zeta. I think it's the best animated unit so far that I've seen. Vangrey looks consistently good but Zeta has some polish on it that nothing else seems to match.

Speaking of, does anyone move pilots around? I don't see a huge use for some of the UC units when compared to Huckbein and Gungrust, but Roux doesn't seem like an amazing pilot.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... pffft.

The map doesn't even know where the Misurugi Empire is.

Levantine posted:

The devs really seem to love Zeta. I think it's the best animated unit so far that I've seen. Vangrey looks consistently good but Zeta has some polish on it that nothing else seems to match.

Speaking of, does anyone move pilots around? I don't see a huge use for some of the UC units when compared to Huckbein and Gungrust, but Roux doesn't seem like an amazing pilot.

... and to think, I haven't even used it, since it doesn't have a pilot worth a drat yet.

Ah well. I assume Kamille'll actually join eventually.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Zeta animation being as good as it is is due to it being a carryover from SRWZ3 where the UC Gundams got serious love.

Meanwhile the winners of the newcomers to V are clearly the Mazingers because HOT drat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Roux is a solid support pilot and I kicked Hathaway's stupid rear end out of Xi Gundam basically the moment someone better became available.

Hilariously I ended up acing Roux and Elle but not Judau.

MrCobaiiiiiiiiin
Oct 19, 2011

I'll be picking this up next weekend when I get my paycheck. Any tips for a beginner to the series? I do have experience with SD Gundam (G Gen Genesis has consumed my life since Christmas, basically), if that helps.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Roux is my given choice for the Xi. When I get the Penelope, Ple 2 is going in that, but for now she has the Nu.

Seabook gets the ZZ because gently caress yeah Seabook. I don't care if it isn't optimal, I love him and the ZZ.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hathaway is my number 3 Ace. :smug:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Levantine posted:

I would move the Cross Ange crew into the garbage if I could :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrCobaiiiiiiiiin posted:

I'll be picking this up next weekend when I get my paycheck. Any tips for a beginner to the series? I do have experience with SD Gundam (G Gen Genesis has consumed my life since Christmas, basically), if that helps.

A few critical things:

A) Every character has spells which they use to temp-buff themselves. This is more critical in v than most SRWs because enemies have extremely inflated hit/dodge rates and you may need to use spells to either hit them or avoid attacks. They even added a new spell which allows one character to make another dodge attacks. (Foresee.) You can use spells even when about to attack so keep those in mind.

B) There are less collectables and less customization than GenGen. Post pilots have a single designated unit and they can't be swapped. the ones that can can only be swapped into units from the same or a very closely related series. (This is 90% UC Gundam.) Several units even then function best with certain pilots. (Judau is the only one who can use ZZ Gundam at its best for example, and only Riddhe can use the Banshee Gundam's combo with Unicorn Gundam.)

C) You will have path splits where you lose characters. This isn't usually crippling since you can pick which path to follow and just stick with your favorites but the only units that are available 100% of the time are your protagonist and the Grungust and Huckebein if you get them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Although I'd move Graham into a Gundam if I could.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I would move the Cross Ange crew into the garbage if I could :colbert:

Yeah, they gave me the choice to stay with them or gently caress off to Japan so I was all "Peace out, fuckers!" They are awful.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hathaway is my number 3 Ace. :smug:

He's creeping up for me, he seems pretty solid and Xi just does a poo poo ton of damage with all its attacks.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ange is my number 2 Ace, just behind Souske. :colbert: Chris is up there too for reasons I don't quite understand but I like having her on the squad.

Speaking of Souske, right now, he starts at like 150 Will and does like 12k to bosses and I haven't even gotten his upgrade yet. And moves about 12 spaces because I slapped the super penetrator on him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Relevant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

(It's the latter. Tusk is LIterally The Worst.)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
At this rate I hope Yazan's is just Nine beating him with a sack of hammers.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Roux is my given choice for the Xi. When I get the Penelope, Ple 2 is going in that, but for now she has the Nu.

Seabook gets the ZZ because gently caress yeah Seabook. I don't care if it isn't optimal, I love him and the ZZ.

Seabook, who's that, there's no one in the cast named Seabook, no sir.

Kincaid is the best, though. Maybe you should try him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Excuse me I believe you have mispelled Kincade

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pureauthor posted:

Excuse me I believe you have mispelled Kincade

You mean the by far inferior way to spell that name?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Supremezero posted:

You mean the by far inferior way to spell that name?

So the Gundam way

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The GIG posted:

So the Gundam way

*thinks*

Yeah, that sounds about right.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I put Ple in the Banshee Gundam with no regrets. Riddhe is a chump.

One thing I don't like about SRW V is the sometimes awkward finishers, like Unicorn's NT-D Destroy is melee but the rest of its good moves are ranged, while Zambot 3's biggest attack is ranged type but is pretty melee-oriented until then.

I also really wanted to use Jill but you can't put her in something that isn't trash-tier garbage.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 27, 2017

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Supremezero posted:

If that isn't Seabook, why does F91 Sortie play when he attacks, hrmm?? :smugbert:

That said, this is my first custom mp3 SRW and holy cow. Just changing everybody's songs from their OP songs to their series' respective battle music feels so much cooler. I even Black, Shin, and Shin 2+3 separate songs. That doesn't even touch on the finishers-- my ZZ has 3 different songs (Silent Voice normally, Judau in Space for the Map weapon, and Activate!! ZZ!! for HMCFP). No wonder Judau's one of my top aces.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah it's that second part I wanted to know.

Still though I'm gonna go with "because anime" for the most part.

At least in V "because anime" is a good justification considering CA is sharing a setting with Might Gaine

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So is Valor just the last spirit command for literally everyone who gets it? Because I'm at scenario 32 now, and I still have absolutely no one with it. Am I just using the wrong characters or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

So is Valor just the last spirit command for literally everyone who gets it? Because I'm at scenario 32 now, and I still have absolutely no one with it. Am I just using the wrong characters or something.

Valor is a late-game spell for everyone who gets it more or less, yes. It isn't the last in every case. More often it's the second to last and the last is Bravery/Zeal/Love/Soul

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is V like z3 where Valor is a lot less common than it used to be?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm guessing the Might Gaine cast continues the proud SRW yuusha tradition of primarily being the dudes who get Bravery

(which is one of the reasons I love how many Touma birthday sets in Alpha 3 have it. Of course he'd have Bravery he spends most of his time rolling with the GGG crew.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

It's like most recent SRWs where it comes a lot later than usual but once it comes almost everyone gets it or Soul or rarely both.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm guessing the Might Gaine cast continues the proud SRW yuusha tradition of primarily being the dudes who get Bravery

Not really I think. it's pretty spread out. Kouji gets it as does Salamandrana or whatever it is from Cross Ange.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Supremezero posted:

Endorph posted:

It's been like that since pretty Z1, where Valor and the other damage boosting spirits started coming in way later.

I reckon they wanted to get away from the Alphas/MX model in that you started getting Valor at about your mid 20s.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 28, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Not really I think. it's pretty spread out. Kouji gets it as does Salamandrana or whatever it is from Cross Ange.
sally :colbert:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So has a concrete way to get the true route been locked down? I'd like to get it my first run.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Some spirits don't unlock until super late too, like Banjo doesn't get his last spirit until lvl 49 or something absurd when some people finish like 9 levels earlier.

Zambot III also gets Bravery, I think.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The GIG posted:

At this rate I hope Yazan's is just Nine beating him with a sack of hammers.
No, she'll just beat him into a coma with nothing but chicken legs.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
For the secret Black Gaine do I have to do the route split it says he joins on the wiki? Or can I safely stay away from Cross Ange hell and still get my special boy?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

EthanSteele posted:

For the secret Black Gaine do I have to do the route split it says he joins on the wiki? Or can I safely stay away from Cross Ange hell and still get my special boy?

So long as you did the special stage, you're fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For the record for people who asked:

Grungust and Huckebein join after stage 39 if you don't have the DLC. You can actually play the mission from the scenario chart if you want to see it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

For the record for people who asked:

Grungust and Huckebein join after stage 39 if you don't have the DLC. You can actually play the mission from the scenario chart if you want to see it.

Wait, can you just replay missions from the chart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Wait, can you just replay missions from the chart?

Only the Grungust/Huckebein scenarios, I guess because they're sort of shoved in there.

• Locked thread