Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dragonatrix posted:

The biggest issue with Nick is that he doesn't really weigh the good/bad points of things, and has only really said anything that isn't overwhelmingly positive, or at the worst neutral, about anything like twice ever. He has great videos informing folks about neat ARG stuff or internet video things but he's not exactly critical of them. He just really likes internet horror stuff and that's great, but he doesn't really point out some of the insanely stilted acting or just plain terrible writing in the stuff he gushes about. It's really kind of a big ol' blindspot of his and while it is nice to know that he doesn't just unconditionally love everything, some of the things he does like and spends so long talking up have major problems that he either casually glosses over or doesn't bring up at all.

e; Really, my favourite example of that is when he did a video about the West Records or whatever being some kind of Best Ever Slenderman thing and the example clips he used for why it's better than everything else was... the same generic, cliche writing that just about every other one ever has used. :v:

I like watching his segments *because* he talks stuff up. I do so knowing that the actual ARG thing will never live up to it and so I never watch it (except for some of the Adult Swim ones)

His shows are like the addage of old low-budget horror movies - you want the monster that's implied, not the actual dude in a clumsy rubber suit that will never be as scary. His uncritical eye reporting on it is often much more enjoyable than the actual product, not to mention saving hours of watching said videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

stillvisions posted:

His uncritical eye reporting on it is often much more enjoyable than the actual product, not to mention saving hours of watching said videos.

Exactly this, stuff like This House Has People In It, while it was weird and neat having already seen it before watching his video, got a lot more interesting with all the ARG/hidden junk legwork done and laid out well.

That and he just has a real good voice for this kind of stuff.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

The biggest issue with Nick is that he doesn't really weigh the good/bad points of things, and has only really said anything that isn't overwhelmingly positive, or at the worst neutral, about anything like twice ever. He has great videos informing folks about neat ARG stuff or internet video things but he's not exactly critical of them. He just really likes internet horror stuff and that's great, but he doesn't really point out some of the insanely stilted acting or just plain terrible writing in the stuff he gushes about. It's really kind of a big ol' blindspot of his and while it is nice to know that he doesn't just unconditionally love everything, some of the things he does like and spends so long talking up have major problems that he either casually glosses over or doesn't bring up at all.

TBH, saying the writing and acting are subpar when your thing is youtube horror is like saying the sets are lousy when your thing is elementary school plays: it'd be more worth it to note the times when it's NOT that way.

I kind of like the lack of real criticism, if only because it's all so lousy that pointing out the crap would be shooting fish in a barrel. That, and not watching the whole thing and just going with his descriptions and a few clips means I get an imaginary version of the work that's much, much more interesting than the reality ever could be.

But yeah, dude just has almost no taste.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I like NM a lot but the dude praised everyman hybrid to an absurd degree when it is actually unwatchable. The writing and acting are god awful --even by youtube horror standards-- and it relies too hard on descriptions of gore to evoke fear, to the point where it's impossible to take seriously. It had one interesting aspect but it never got explored enough.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazkVxCGXgA

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I Hate Everything's Search for the Worst turns up a kind of gem of earnestness, I guess you could call it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtiVL6z8wE

Gets kinda sweet at the end, actually.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

This totally blows the Nostalgia Critic's last review out of the water.

In other news, it looks like JonTron's uploaded a new video, a Q&A. I haven't watched it yet, so I don't know if he says anything pertaining to recent events: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxiXzbmEHTQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Max Wilco posted:

In other news, it looks like JonTron's uploaded a new video, a Q&A. I haven't watched it yet, so I don't know if he says anything pertaining to recent events: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxiXzbmEHTQ

He addresses his Twitter spiels about SJWs. Starts around 9:08

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

He addresses his Twitter spiels about SJWs. Starts around 9:08

what's he say?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tatum Girlparts posted:

what's he say?

He cares about facts and reasoning, and people arguing with feelings caused WW2

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

what's he say?

"I just couldn't stand these mean ole essjews anymore" is the gist of it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Mischalaniouse posted:

I Hate Everything's Search for the Worst turns up a kind of gem of earnestness, I guess you could call it.

Yeah who Killed Captain Alex is really great, if you can get used to one of the video jokers. Speaking of which there was another reviewer who posts in this thread that went into more detail about film making in Uganda and the Video Joker phenomena. The most common way for Ugandans to see films is to go to local picture houses, and due to language barriers they'd employ someone to explain the film to the audience. That was actually pretty common in the early days of cinema.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"I support bringing back facts and reasoning"
"They're loving commulists!"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Augus posted:

hey don't joke rear end in a top hat, my grandad was killed by commulist partitions

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I want this image to become reality

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
my sister was taking her baby for a walk then a SJW jumped out of the bush grabed the baby and cut his dick off, then yelled at my sister that having a gray hoodie is steeling from black culture. it about loving time this internet critic who plays shity sonic game had the BALLS that no one have the balls to say, like my nefew who had his balls stolen by essjews.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 25, 2017

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah who Killed Captain Alex is really great, if you can get used to one of the video jokers. Speaking of which there was another reviewer who posts in this thread that went into more detail about film making in Uganda and the Video Joker phenomena. The most common way for Ugandans to see films is to go to local picture houses, and due to language barriers they'd employ someone to explain the film to the audience. That was actually pretty common in the early days of cinema.

That was me. And the director saw my review!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

echopapa posted:

That was me. And the director saw my review!

Holy poo poo this is adorable :3:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Attitude era podcast release a bonus episode on Raw 1000, which is the 1000th episode where DX shows up with the king of kings Triple H and Chaile sheen live from skype and how the jokes about him 5 years ago aged like cheep milk left in the sun.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Who Killed Captain Alex makes me think of the trailer for 13.30 Kaba Church, an action movie from Ghana which had (comparatively) bigger production values. It also spawned a meme with one certain bit, involving a kid with a wicked looking knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bmwHFXtc3M

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mischalaniouse posted:

This is pretty amazing

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 26, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mischalaniouse posted:

The guy who makes these movies is one of the few Patreons I support. A lot of the original movies are lost because he needed hard drive space. He's making movies in impossible conditions and for no other reason than for the love of doing it. There's an earnestness to it that deserves better than being an internet punchline like I've seen from some reviewers.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

The guy who makes these movies is one of the few Patreons I support. A lot of the original movies are lost because he needed hard drive space. He's making movies in impossible conditions and for no other reason than for the love of doing it. There's an earnestness to it that deserves better than being an internet punchline like I've seen from some reviewers.

Didn't know they had one, so this made me decide to throw them money, for the same reasone.

They clearly know their poo poo as they they have the loving best patreon acknowledgement ever:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
finally someone important comes to the aid of noble, martyred, Pewds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjNILjFters

I only hope no one else becomes a victim of MEDIA CRIMES

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Missed a perfect opportunity to use the word 'lugenpresse'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

Missed a perfect opportunity to use the word 'lugenpresse'.

I mean, when the literal president of the united states is using the word it does become less funny I imagine

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Augus posted:

I don't know why he thought it was a good idea to talk about this on a Q&A. He's pretty aware that he's playing with fire but he does it anyways. The more you know about someone the harder it is to separate them from their work.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know why he thought it was a good idea to talk about this on a Q&A. He's pretty aware that he's playing with fire but he does it anyways. The more you know about someone the harder it is to separate them from their work.

Yeah. There may be people who follow his videos, but not his social media. They can keep the artist apart from the art.

Not so much when you dump a "commulist" video on the main channel. :/

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I do not understand what everyone's mad about, it was just a joke! Look, I'm sorry that it got out of hand and apparently some people didn't appreciate the humor; but personally I don't think it's a big deal that I paid a bunch of poor people five bucks to hold up a sign that said "Kill all the Jews". As a joke! Just a harmless joke that's all! I wasn't actually saying to kill all the Jews, I was just making a joke about how poor people will do anything for money, and you know, I'm a millionaire and all so I could just give these poor people five bucks like it's nothing and they're so desperate to feed their families that they'll do anything for a few bucks! Ha! See? Wait why are you walking away come back I haven't talked about the rape jokes yet!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
That very special Jimquistion we've all been looking forward to, probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS-LXvhy1Do

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Can't wait for the videos of his upcoming lawsuits.

E: Ten million dollahs!

E2: tha weed numbah

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

That intro owns.

Introwns.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ROMINE V STANTON MKIII

RISE OF THE MACHINES

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Dammit! I can't get home to watch it for another 6-odd hours!

Dear Mr. Digihom, do not put a copyright claim on that video until I've seen it. TIA.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Augus posted:

I do not understand what everyone's mad about, it was just a joke! Look, I'm sorry that it got out of hand and apparently some people didn't appreciate the humor; but personally I don't think it's a big deal that I paid a bunch of poor people five bucks to hold up a sign that said "Kill all the Jews". As a joke! Just a harmless joke that's all! I wasn't actually saying to kill all the Jews, I was just making a joke about how poor people will do anything for money, and you know, I'm a millionaire and all so I could just give these poor people five bucks like it's nothing and they're so desperate to feed their families that they'll do anything for a few bucks! Ha! See? Wait why are you walking away come back I haven't talked about the rape jokes yet!

To play devil's advocate, I don't think that pewdipie is an anti Semite nor a rape apologist. I just think he's a moron with a dire need of an editor/producer/someone to say 'no' to his bad ideas. I think we should stop this witch hunt and just call him a moron. A really big moron. An unfunny moron. An imbecile. An idiotic.. hey where's everyone going?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
*watches video of a grown man laughing and clapping in delight as a sign reading 'death to jews' is shown*

"You know, let's stop this witch hunt, I don't think he has any issues with Jews."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Saying hateful things and not understanding that you're harming people through your senseless enjoyment is not really different enough from being a nazi to be worth making the distinction. Those are the people who encourage and embolden nazis. His recent experiences should encourage him in humility and curiosity so that he might learn and grow from the experience, but I'm sure he has a stingy, shrunken jontron-sized heart of the kind that withers people into racists and mras whenever it encounters criticism or constructive feedback.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I used to like h3h3 but he's kinda shown his rear end as a massive idiot about the whole Pewdiepie think so that sucks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

That very special Jimquistion we've all been looking forward to, probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS-LXvhy1Do

As someone who couldn't loving stand Sterling ten years ago I really like how much he's developed since then. If nothing else he's great at delivering complex statements in succinct and understandable language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Listening to the TOVG podcast today after going on a bit of a break, and goddamn it's kind of painful to listen to Bunnyhop bitch and moan about Nier. I can't argue with him too much about the game's mechanical merits, but it really doesn't sound like he's at all willing to give the writing time to cook and is expecting all the hard hits to happen right now. And no one else there has played it so there's no one to play devil's advocate or slow him down at all.

• Locked thread