Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

coffeetable posted:

it reduces some form of regret, which is good if you're the kind of person who pulls money out of investments that are doing badly. to actually make the most money in expectation, invest everything immediately in one chunk

investing everything in one shot is equivalent to saying that you think the stock will go up from today onward. if you want to build a big position in a stock you should buy in incrementally over some time. not for dollar cost averaging but for reducing the risk of buying in at a local maximum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

raminasi posted:

don't ever let anyone make you feel bad for not having as much money as you "could" if you're happy and feel confident in your future :angel:

true. but also don't be poor because that sucks.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I've always found that buying low and selling high works well but ymmv

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

we all crossed that rubicon when we clicked the two one nine

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Sapozhnik posted:

eh i'll do it when i finally get my green card

trying to open a brokerage account as a non-resident is surprisingly annoying

this of course totally justifies losing out on thousands of dollars in potential asset appreciation over that period of time. eh.

gently caress man i just want a roof over my head ok :( i don't need any luxury poo poo

i sold all my us stock longs before the election because

1. if trump wins that would crash the market
2. the us dollar is gonna get weaker

i sold apple at 108 and now its at 135 and the dollar is more or less where it was back then

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

The Management posted:

investing everything in one shot is equivalent to saying that you think the stock will go up from today onward.
yes, because that's all that a dumbfuck retail investor like you and i can say with any certainty. if you expect stock market to rise by ~.03%/day (which is the average over the past hundred years), then to maximize your expected return you maximize the amount of time your money spends in the market

if you have some magical ability to predict the future movement of the S&P500, then go ahead and delay investment. but you don't, so don't.

The Management posted:

if you want to build a big position in a stock you should buy in incrementally over some time.

you should only do this if you are buying a substantial fraction of the daily trading volume of the asset (you aren't), or if you're more concerned about minimizing regret than maximizing returns

poty posted:

i sold all my us stock longs before the election because

1. if trump wins that would crash the market
2. the us dollar is gonna get weaker

i sold apple at 108 and now its at 135 and the dollar is more or less where it was back then
DON'T TRY AND TIME THE MARKET

jesus fuckign christ

don't do it

DON'T DO IT

EVER

put your money in stocks/bonds, forget about them until your retirement.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 25, 2017

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
you are a retail investor. you know nothing. nothing. and you know nothing after everyone else knows nothing. when you make an active investment choice - like selling your positions ahead of an election - you are playing a zero-sum game against people much better financed and informed than you are.

(unless you have insider information in which case the only rule is don't try and trade your tip with short-dated out-of-the-money options)

justifiable investment decisions for the average retail investor
  • adjusting your ratio of stocks-to-bonds to match your risk appetite
  • adjusting your ratio of global vs local investments to match your expected expenses

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 25, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i read bloomberg and my the notes my banks dumb analysts put out though :smug:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

also dont get me wrong selling apple at 108 was still an ok profit from buying at like 96 but yeah

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I buy options opposite any stock picks my friends brag about because I am confident they will somehow underperform relative to blind luck and well I've made dollars this way

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Bloody posted:

I buy options opposite any stock picks my friends brag about because I am confident they will somehow underperform relative to blind luck and well I've made dollars this way

checks out, they are friends with you so they clearly have poo poo judgement

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PCjr sidecar posted:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

savage

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

PCjr sidecar posted:

:iceburn:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PCjr sidecar posted:

daaaaaamn

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:captainpop:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

PCjr sidecar posted:

#rekt

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PCjr sidecar posted:

agreed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Why is this anyway? Like 1/3 of my comp is RSUs and I just autosell it for cash. Why do large companies prefer this over equivalent salaries with no RSUs?

the easiest way to make you feel "invested" is to literally make you an investor

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

RSUs are created from thin air by diluting the existing stock pool. they are paying you from the pocket of the shareholders, not the company's balance sheet.

this is not true. RSUs have to be recognized as an expense as they vest.

this is the major reason twitter is "profitable" on an ebidta basis but never earns a gaap profit. their bullshit numbers exclude RSU expenses, but the gaap numbers are obligated to include it.

(until a few years ago, options actually did work that way. that's why the dotcom bubble was so crazy with options: on the company's balance sheet all those options awards had an expense of $0.)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PCjr sidecar posted:

:thurman:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

PCjr sidecar posted:

shots fired!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/cyberomin/status/835888786462625792

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

it's a pretty hosed up story, but otoh maybe they saw the header image on his blog cos that would make me doubt he's a legit software engineer also

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

big scary monsters posted:

it's a pretty hosed up story, but otoh maybe they saw the header image on his blog cos that would make me doubt he's a legit software engineer also

welp, looks like a legitimate detainment.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah lol @ anyone using python or other p-langs

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

hmmm mmm , maybe the wall is good???

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

even if it wasn't a gimmick, he's already starting on a bad foot with that syntax

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

doesn't have requisite cynicism+negativity about programming, red flag

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

instead of balancing a BST they should ask how many hours a week he spends sniping at other programming languages

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

there's enough dead code in there to use that as a 'what does this function return for x input' interview question

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wouldn't cbp asking for someone to balance a bst require them to know what a bst is in the first place?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

wouldn't cbp asking for someone to balance a bst require them to know what a bst is in the first place?

if you cared about computer touching at all, the most important discipline in the world, you would know this, otherwise you're just a faker that doesn't deserve to be in this country

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

doesn't stop tech recruiters with their on-the-phone tests

"i'm sorry your answer doesn't match the answer provided to me so i guess yours is wrong, bye"

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

according to that twitter thread they just were looking for wikipedia level answers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LinYutang posted:

according to that twitter thread they just were looking for wikipedia level answers

Cold on a Cob posted:

doesn't stop tech recruiters with their on-the-phone tests

"i'm sorry your answer doesn't match the answer provided to me so i guess yours is wrong, bye"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i once got dinged in a skype interview for saying that id help someone having issues accessing an application running in a dev environment that didn't exist the day before, that somehow hadn't had any meaningful error handling written into it yet and wasnt failing due to network issues, by asking the dev team responsible for the app whether they'd pushed a new build out in the last day or so. the guy didnt have "ask the team responsible" written down on the bit of paper or something.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
bad recruiters are a huge red flag. all recruiters are bad, but I mean ones that are being told to do annoying and unreasonable things, because you know someone else is telling them to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

zen death robot posted:

I aced my fist and only interview after being unemployed for a month and a half on full severance and got hired at a significant raise from my old job. having a niche set of skills owns sometimes
cool

what forums do u control now

• Locked thread