Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Evil Canadian posted:

And yet nothing about blocking kensei's dashing light getting a guardbreak being fixed :sigh:

Lmao Kensei's dodge attack is unsafe on block? it's like the easiest thing in the world to block & parry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Lmao Kensei's dodge attack is unsafe on block? it's like the easiest thing in the world to block & parry.

Yep. You can get a free GB simply off of blocking it.

Because, ya know, Kensei doesn't have enough problems :shepicide:

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
Oh hey new patch notes let's see if they buff up some of the struggling classes.

Oh good they did nothing but buff assassins, who are already pretty dominant.

:smithicide:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

TwingeCrag posted:

If they made the Lawbringer's light attack after a shove an actual part of his kit instead of a weird unlock bug/tech thing then I'd stop complaining about his balance forever, I promise. :(

Yeah, I'm trying to play Lawbringer up to prestige 3 so I can get all the fancy purple gear but sitting at prestige 2 it feels like his usefulness is dropping off. 1v1 fights are mostly won from his shove > guard break > side heavy cheese and anything else feels like I'm just shoving them around without actually accomplishing anything. All his attacks are slow and easy to dodge so it's either that cheese strat or Long Arm > light attack to chip them down. Or throw them off a cliff.

Also what the hell am I even supposed to be doing against Shugoki? Seems like a complete hard counter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Views patch notes*

*Throws hands up in air*

Welp that's it! I'm declaring this a Titanfall! This is a Titanfall, folks!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm super happy with those patch notes. The Valk buff is gonna be fantastic and will make playing her enjoyable. Also, the extra dodge back distance on Orochi's riptide is bloody brilliant. That move was almost impossible to pull off because you'd never dodge back far enough to avoid getting clipped. It'll mean it has more utility in fights now.

As for PK? They nerfed her bleed damage guys. I don't see why everyone is grabbing the pitchforks. They didn't buff her, they just made it so her light attacks have a chance to connect. I've seen so many PKs who light attack and just swing at air. It's a total bitch and throws you out of your flow. Valk had the same, where her light attacks would just swing at air instead of her engaging forward slightly to connect. And wow, they made it so her light attacks can connect after a parry? How is that making her more powerful. It's just giving her the chance to punish people. Imagine how much bullshit it is if you parried someone and your light attack just swings at air.

I've never played PK, I don't like her playstyle, but I don't think this update is gonna make her even stronger. It's just gonna allow her to make moves she previously couldn't, so maybe now we'll see skilled plays from PK instead of the same leap forward attack / side attack spam.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Imagine a PK fighting a Warden, forever

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Loopoo posted:

I'm super happy with those patch notes. The Valk buff is gonna be fantastic and will make playing her enjoyable. Also, the extra dodge back distance on Orochi's riptide is bloody brilliant. That move was almost impossible to pull off because you'd never dodge back far enough to avoid getting clipped. It'll mean it has more utility in fights now.

As for PK? They nerfed her bleed damage guys. I don't see why everyone is grabbing the pitchforks. They didn't buff her, they just made it so her light attacks have a chance to connect. I've seen so many PKs who light attack and just swing at air. It's a total bitch and throws you out of your flow. Valk had the same, where her light attacks would just swing at air instead of her engaging forward slightly to connect. And wow, they made it so her light attacks can connect after a parry? How is that making her more powerful. It's just giving her the chance to punish people. Imagine how much bullshit it is if you parried someone and your light attack just swings at air.

I've never played PK, I don't like her playstyle, but I don't think this update is gonna make her even stronger. It's just gonna allow her to make moves she previously couldn't, so maybe now we'll see skilled plays from PK instead of the same leap forward attack / side attack spam.

Please source your quotes.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Loopoo posted:

As for PK? They nerfed her bleed damage guys. I don't see why everyone is grabbing the pitchforks. They didn't buff her

Loopoo posted:

I've never played PK

Hmmmmmm

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've played against them so much, I know how frustrating an enemy they can be. But I genuinely don't believe this patch is going to make her more difficult. It's just gonna allow them to properly play the class instead of resorting to spamming the same attacks, since her light attacks should actually connect now.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Another thing coming nowish:

edit: also there were bug fixes eric pope posted on reddit in the patch thread, some controller stuff was broken (blocking didnt work with steam controller I guess), dualshock 4 connected via some usb adapter, buncha stuff idk i'm not gonna copy it all

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 27, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Indecisive posted:

This is the best part of the patch.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Loopoo posted:

I've played against them so much, I know how frustrating an enemy they can be. But I genuinely don't believe this patch is going to make her more difficult. It's just gonna allow them to properly play the class instead of resorting to spamming the same attacks, since her light attacks should actually connect now.

So what you're saying is they gave them more options without nerfing the options they already had?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Loopoo posted:

What will actually happen is PK players will just spam the same attacks from slightly further away, out of a parry. Hooray!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yep. You can get a free GB simply off of blocking it.

Because, ya know, Kensei doesn't have enough problems :shepicide:

Yeah this really sucks for Kensei because his dodge attack is one of his better opening moves for going on offense.

Still like playing Kensei, the unblockable top cancel into side un-interruptable is fun stuff, but that free GB needs to go

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Glad they acknowledged the potential playerbase fragmentation issue with the skirmish/elimination change. As much as I hate being put in a skirmish match when I want to play elimination, increasing the number of matchmaking hoppers could lead to problems down the line.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Indecisive posted:

Thank god almighty, skirmish can rightfully whither away in it's own little virtual ghetto now.

Also zerker is my boy so at least I get to be one of the people that can partway be happy about the changes.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Yardbomb posted:

Thank god almighty, skirmish can rightfully whither away in it's own little virtual ghetto now.

The way it's phrased makes it sound like once Skirmish starts having issues with playerbase numbers, they will potentially merge again.

When I hopped on for the first time in a while last night, Duel was down to Low Activity. What happened there? Did the quality of fights noticeably change, or can you still get a decent duel?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Sdoots posted:

The way it's phrased makes it sound like once Skirmish starts having issues with playerbase numbers, they will potentially merge again.

When I hopped on for the first time in a while last night, Duel was down to Low Activity. What happened there? Did the quality of fights noticeably change, or can you still get a decent duel?

It's been at low to medium activity for me on PC since day 1, but I usually only have to wait 30 seconds max for a match.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Sdoots posted:

They also said they're looking into quests only counting for one, so hopefully by the time they merge the queues they'll also let you use both gamemodes for the same orders.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Exodee posted:

A knight's plate armor being super heavy and restrictive is a myth. In fact, there's even records of a baron doing somersaults in full plate. :goonsay:

I feel like that is probably how it was, but you just know there were a few guys who felt they needed even more protection and just piled on the steel until one of them got puddled to death.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fixed a bug where Peacekeepers were sometimes losing matches.

VVV I think its a way better loving around mode than elimination. Its a lot more chaotic and is basically an endless brawl. Its also the one mode where people will never complain about honor.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 27, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone even enjoy skirmish? Every time it plays, everyone moans. It's so slow, longwinded and boring. It's like elimination but even more frustrating.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

FisheyStix posted:

I feel like that is probably how it was, but you just know there were a few guys who felt they needed even more protection and just piled on the steel until one of them got puddled to death.

It'd make it a lot easier to hold someone down in a puddle, for sure. There were some incredibly heavy jousting designs developed later on that we're never really meant to be used on a battlefield. They armored the crap out of them so that the jousters had a much lower chance of accidentally killing or maiming each other, but they weren't really practical for fighting. I think that's where the image of the armored-too-heavily-to-move Knight comes from.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_armour#Jousting

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Like seriously, thank god they buffed the poor Peacekeeper's attack range! It was such a crippling problem for her. Don't bother fixing the bug that lets assassin classes not fall over in guardbreak though. That's perfectly fair and not ruining tons of games.

Fucks sake.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

News keeps coming, to make up for the outage the other day they're giving everyone champion status this weekend (March 3-5) and there will be a special global quest that gives more steel than normal for completing. If you already have champ status you get +3 days on it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Loopoo posted:

Does anyone even enjoy skirmish? Every time it plays, everyone moans. It's so slow, longwinded and boring. It's like elimination but even more frustrating.

There was one goon who posted before that he really liked skirmish. Could be trolling but he went in depth so it sounded genuine.

I hate it. I love dominion even, and I hate skirmish. Its just pointless.

This is an awesome change. Hopefully if they ever do put them back into the same hopper, they'll at least make it so that orders are "in elimination OR skirmish" instead of one or the other.

Indecisive posted:

News keeps coming, to make up for the outage the other day they're giving everyone champion status this weekend (March 3-5) and there will be a special global quest that gives more steel than normal for completing. If you already have champ status you get +3 days on it.

Huzzah!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Indecisive posted:

Apparently bonus XP from Champion Status stacks the more people on your team have it, so if everyone is going to have it by default this weekend it's going to be better for grinding levels than if you actually paid for it.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I am a berserker main and I feel OK about the changes. I agree that gear stats need to be looked at the most and that assassin classes weren't the ones that really needed to be buffed but the guard break counter change sounds good (I always have trouble with the mechanic even after practicing alot with it and people who can hit it every time are literally wizards to me) but all in all its an OK first patch and wasn't too untimely.

I agree with the previous poster who said that rushing a patch out too quickly can cause more trouble so I'm glad that they took there time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Apparently bonus XP from Champion Status stacks the more people on your team have it, so if everyone is going to have it by default this weekend it's going to be better for grinding levels than if you actually paid for it.

That makes sense. I've noticed sometimes the green XP bar ends up almost as big as the match XP bar, but other times its just a tiny 10% bonus. I've been wondering what the reason was.

The thing is champion status gives like what, 10% xp by default? And it also gives non-champions a 5% bonus. So likely you're getting your own 10% bonus plus 5% from each other player (even though you have your own), or even moreso maybe you get 10% plus 10% for each other person, if you're a champ and they are too.

Either way it def seems to stack.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

That makes sense. I've noticed sometimes the green XP bar ends up almost as big as the match XP bar, but other times its just a tiny 10% bonus. I've been wondering what the reason was.

The thing is champion status gives like what, 10% xp by default? And it also gives non-champions a 5% bonus. So likely you're getting your own 10% bonus plus 5% from each other player (even though you have your own), or even moreso maybe you get 10% plus 10% for each other person, if you're a champ and they are too.

Either way it def seems to stack.

It probably stacks like in Rainbow Six. If all 5 players on your team have a boost, you get 125% boost. So if all 4 of you have it, it'll be a 120% boost maybe?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Champion status gives you a 25% base bonus and a cute lil' green bow tie so that everyone knows to laugh at you.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Champion status gives you a 25% base bonus and a cute lil' green bow tie so that everyone knows to laugh at you.

Heh, yeah, laughing while getting WRECKED

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
As long as gear score as a concept exists in game dominion and 4v4 will remain a garbage fire. That ain't good for the longevity of the game when a big chunk of multiplayer is in that state regardless of how good dueling is. This needs a patch asap.

I feel so bad for new players going in unaware and slamming face first into an impenetrable wall of revenge over and over not understanding why.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I like the seperation of elim and the champion handouts. That and the fact I just had the two best dominion games of my life as Lawbringer just now. I managed to run and spear a guy off into a pit, spin around and shove someone off the edge of the map and then get a surprise throw on yet a third member of their team into previously mentioned pit. The next game was on High Fort and I just stood and became the gatekeeper of C.

Remember the best LB advice I just made up: Wardens can't vortex you if they're being thrown off the map/into spikes. Also that your sprinting spear has priority over shoulderbash if you're running at eachother.

edit: Probably goes without saying but gear score in 4v4 is dumb. I don't dislike feats though.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

How do you even fight berserkers? Because I get stomped by their side dash spin, and any time I win it feels like it's due to luck :negative:

It's the one class I can't get a read on.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Concurred posted:

How do you even fight berserkers? Because I get stomped by their side dash spin, and any time I win it feels like it's due to luck :negative:

It's the one class I can't get a read on.

block in whatever direction they're spinning?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

TwingeCrag posted:

edit: Probably goes without saying but gear score in 4v4 is dumb. I don't dislike feats though.

If they really wanted to make gear matter they should tie the feats to gear. Then you could put on certain stuff and have certain feats. Base players would have base (easy to use) feats.

Obviously they would need more feats for each character but the Gear could have different cosmetic effects (i.e. the bombs look different, the smoke is a different color) and so that would be kinda fun.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If they really wanted to make gear matter they should tie the feats to gear. Then you could put on certain stuff and have certain feats. Base players would have base (easy to use) feats.

Obviously they would need more feats for each character but the Gear could have different cosmetic effects (i.e. the bombs look different, the smoke is a different color) and so that would be kinda fun.

This would be great. Especially with the transmog effect thing they already have in the game. Unfortunately they already let you unlock all the feats with microtransactions. (Totally pointless imo, it's pretty easy to get a character to level 17)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Loopoo posted:

You'd think more people would like it with how it's dominion-style deathmatch without any cap points. You even can slay mooks for a point a piece and the bots have the same waypoints. It does, however, have gear stats so naturally it will boil down to one boosted jackass on their team sprinting around the map like Benny Hill.