Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It works perfectly fine, though the left side of the model 1 genesis just sorta floats. You can stick a box under it, or just not care.

Alternatively,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Personally I'd go for any model 1 then model 2 and forget 3. Good luck getting decent controllers though, the original Sega ones are breaking down from age. I'm heavily considering getting rid of a good chunk of mine and buying a clone one (hyperkin's GN6) to replace them.

Is the rubber actually falling apart or what? About five years ago I bought a box of around 30 genesis controllers from a game store that were "not working" and the problem with 90% of them was just dirty contacts. Cleaning the pads with alcohol made them good as new.

I do kind of hate the standard genesis controller, though. The six-button feels nicer.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wa27 posted:

Is the rubber actually falling apart or what? About five years ago I bought a box of around 30 genesis controllers from a game store that were "not working" and the problem with 90% of them was just dirty contacts. Cleaning the pads with alcohol made them good as new.

I do kind of hate the standard genesis controller, though. The six-button feels nicer.

Even after cleaning I've had some that still failed and some that just feel eh to bad. These were mostly standard 3 button ones as well and the rubber want so much falling apart as it was worn down. Plus my nyko 6 button was beginning to act up last time I went through the pile, and it's the only other 6 button I have. Might as well switch that one out for a new 3rd party one if it is as serviceable as people say.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

GutBomb posted:

Some of the model 1s like mine have rainbow banding on areas that are supposed to look transparent like the waterfalls in sonic 1.

Of course, none of this matters if you go RGB :rgb:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If I get a Sega CD, I guess that means I would need to get the newer Everdrive, as the Everdrive MD I got doesn't have the ram cart. But what the difference between the X5 and X7 beyond save states?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

If I get a Sega CD, I guess that means I would need to get the newer Everdrive, as the Everdrive MD I got doesn't have the ram cart. But what the difference between the X5 and X7 beyond save states?

Nothing uses the save RAM cart directly, so you can just use a ROM of the save RAM cartridge on any Everdrive for the Genesis. It'll then act just like the real save cartridge does, allowing you to copy saves off the internal storage and copy them back into it later. The backup cart ROM will have a save file created on the SD card for this purpose.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rirse posted:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Yeah I saw that chart on Stoneage Gamer, but only real thing I notice different is the save states. The rest is just more for programmers like usb?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

fishmech posted:

Nothing uses the save RAM cart directly, so you can just use a ROM of the save RAM cartridge on any Everdrive for the Genesis. It'll then act just like the real save cartridge does, allowing you to copy saves off the internal storage and copy them back into it later. The backup cart ROM will have a save file created on the SD card for this purpose.

Are you talking about the low end one? The high-end ones can definitely be used as save RAM carts.

Rirse posted:

Yeah I saw that chart on Stoneage Gamer, but only real thing I notice different is the save states. The rest is just more for programmers like usb?

The in-game menu is a huge difference (resetting and picking another game from the couch). Max ROM size is pretty much diminishing returns though.

azurite fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 27, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

azurite posted:

Are you talking about the low end one? The high-end ones can definitely be used as save RAM carts.

What I'm talking about is that you don't need that functionality for the vast majority of Sega CD games, since their saves will fit on the internal storage fine and can be manipulated with any Genesis flash cart capable of handling game saves. If I remember right, the only games where the backup cart was a hard requirement for saving was Shining Force CD and one game that was only released in Japan, since those two games both needed over 8 kilobytes of save space at once.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Very few Sega CD games actually even recognize that the RAM cart is inserted. I think it's entirely just the RPGs, and not even most of those.
Also yes, the x7 features are just developer stuff. If you don't need the ram card for Shining Force, the regular x3 is more than enough Everdrive for most people.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Allegedly somebody is producing good quality replacement rubber for SNES controllers. There's probably a market for the Genesis as well if someone isn't doing it already.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Haha I didn't know you were a goon. I don't think you are a console warrior, just that I associate your voice with "british person who has very strong feelings about video games"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Casimir Radon posted:

Allegedly somebody is producing good quality replacement rubber for SNES controllers. There's probably a market for the Genesis as well if someone isn't doing it already.

Tectoy's going to be manufacturing new MD controllers from the original molds sometime soon but I think they're 3-button only.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hyperkin's making 6 button controllers off the original molds too, they're called GN6 controllers.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I have two of the Hyperkins. I think they're well worth the price.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

d0s posted:

Haha I didn't know you were a goon. I don't think you are a console warrior, just that I associate your voice with "british person who has very strong feelings about video games"

Lol, k.

Jokes :) just amused that my voice can now be tacked onto that sort of thing, haha. I know what you mean about people who go guns blazing over their consoles and computers...like, I love the Spectrum, Amiga and all, but that's more about the time and the place than any technical reasons...

Although obviously the *ahem* Mega Drive is a million times better than the SNES* in every department and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

EDIT: Snezz.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

Also yes, buy a model 2 SCD because you don't have to worry about belts melting and it's easier to change the battery when it dies. If it comes with a Genesis it's probably also not much more expensive since Genesis's sell for like $30.

Battery in the model 1 Sega/Mega CD? Please say it's just a dry button cell rather than a rechargeable Ni-Cad which will barf all over the board when it dies?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

actually they're both good, each one does things the other is bad at. unlike the spectrum which is objectively worse than the C64 in every way jesus christ its like a tiger handheld with TV out. did clive sinclair coat them with transdermal heroin or something

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I love my C64. I have never gotten the appeal of the Spectrum, probably because I didn't grow up in the early 80s in Britain.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Spectrum was about 1/3 the price of a c64.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

d0s posted:

actually they're both good, each one does things the other is bad at. unlike the spectrum which is objectively worse than the C64 in every way jesus christ its like a tiger handheld with TV out. did clive sinclair coat them with transdermal heroin or something

related to this: Soft and Cuddly, the latest Boss Fight Books release, is basically guaranteed to be the star of this batch, and the chapter just talking about "Clive Sinclair is a tremendous fuckup" is amazing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

the wizards beard posted:

Spectrum was about 1/3 the price of a c64.

1/3 the price maybe, but 1/1000 the capability. :colbert:

Still don't understand why computers cost so much over in the UK anyway. Like the 48K Spectrum launched in 1982 for £175 (then about $310) and went down to £129 in about 1984 (then about $175) over time. And of course the replacement Spectrum+ which was just a 48k Spectrum with a working keyboard came out and costs a few tens of pounds more on top.

Now, the C64 did launch in the US for $595 in 1982 but it fell to $395 within 2 months of launch, $295 by mid-1983, $199 by winter 1983, and settled around $150 by late 1984 where it sat for a long time before becoming $99. Can't say as to it being easy to find British prices at the time, but they'd have to be quite a bit more expensive than what you'd pay in the US for the Speccy to still look like a deal wouldn't they? Because the US C64 price was already under the Speccy UK price within a year of launch

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kim Justice posted:

EDIT: Snezz.

You monster.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The groundwork for the Speccy's success came a bit earlier, around 1980-1981 with its predecessors, in particular the ZX81 which was probably the real "cheap" British computer of the time (it cost £70, although you would almost immediately need to spend another £50 on 16K RAM to do basically anything with it). Even the 48K Spectrum at £175 was still significantly cheaper than all of its competition, before it got cut down to £129. The C64 (which settled into a nice 2nd place) was around £199 in 1984, I believe. Plus around £40 for the cassette deck (very few people had a C64 with a 1541 over here, it was so much more expensive and tape software was so much more plentiful - you can probably thank the Speccy for that). The C64 stayed around that price for quite a while - the main reason why it was reduced so much in the US was due to Jack Tramiel's price war with Texas Instruments.

Still - quite expensive as you point out. It was still successful though - the government themselves were trying to push computers on the populace in a big way, which is the reason why you have the BBC Micro. They convinced people that they needed computers...the BBC Micro was still too expensive for a lot of people mind, and so a lot of people bought Spectrums because they were the cheapest ones. And it was still one of the strongest games machines just by the virtue of the amount of coders working with it who'd learnt on the likes of the ZX81 (and this matters more than anything else regardless of how the government's pushing them). Clive Sinclair himself also had a good image - he became the acceptable British boffin face of computing, the "Uncle Clive" who again, convinced plenty of people that they needed computers (his knighthood - pushed for by Thatcher herself - helped that even more). And you can't underestimate the price of the games either - even if the computer itself was expensive, games were three quid for budget titles and around £8-10 for full price...another big reason for the success of the Speccy and C64 there, and the reason why they were even ahead of the likes of the NES in the UK eventually.

Anyway, while there's never a crash as such, the bottom does fall out a little around 1985 - a lot of the smaller computer makers like Oric and Dragon go bust, Commodore have their own troubles in the US, Acorn and Sinclair both hit a wall trying to break America, and for Sinclair there's the small matter of the millions spent on that awful C5 and a bunch more millions on the wretched QL (a business focused 16-bit 68000-based micro, completely unable to compete with the likes of the Macintosh). The Spectrum+ was a flop, as were imported 128K machines. But then another company, Amstrad kept their head around this time (mainly thanks to strong sales in Europe) and when they bought the Spectrum in 1986 they were able to keep it going for years more thanks to the 128K +2 (a much better computer than the classic 48k), more price cuts, software bundles and focusing on nothing but what the machine was best at - playing games. Like the C64, the Spectrum had a looong life - it was introduced in 1982, and had commercial games released and magazines published for it as late as 1993.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 27, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Honestly it's bizarre how different he British and American home computer markets ended up being. The US starts to have it catch on as soon as the product category is invented in the late 70s, the UK doesn't really have it get going until 1981. The only systems that really have unqualified success in both areas are Commodore 64s, with the Atari 8 bits doing OK in both the US and UK, and then later on the IBM PC clones finally catch on in the UK in the 90s. But there's, say, basically no Apple II presence in the UK.

And the UK computer market really does remain quite small, even considering that the UK is of course 1/5 the population of the US. You have Amigas regarded as a massive success and massively popular and common computer, for example, yet they only ever sold about 6 million of them worldwide over 10 years, with a decent chunk of that 6 million not even on UK shores. Meanwhile, by 1986 the PC clones were already selling 6 million units a year globally - there's so much of a difference in scale at work.

And sure a lot of this stuff comes down to price, but it doesn't really seem like UK computers were ever really that cheap, just that many computers that were big in the US had prices that were like a factor of like 3 or more higher than the price they sold for in the US/Canada. And it surely can't just be down to import fees or something, since all the popular Commodore and Atari systems in the UK came from America in the first place. My mom was able to afford a PC AT on a fresh-out-of-college elementary school teacher's salary in like 1986, for instance (and could have saved several hundred bucks on that by going for one of the clones if it'd been an issue), while it seems that buying a computer like that in the UK would have been flatly unaffordable with a similar job.

Though I'm glad Dragon went under in 1985, otherwise I couldn't have bought a brand new in the original box Dragon as I did this month for just $59 (an NTSC model of course, that was produced by Tano in the US under license from Dragon, and which sat in a warehouse for the past 30+ years in California because Tano gave up selling them when the Welsh company went under).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On the other hand, I must confess some amount of envy that the Europeans were enjoying computers as capable for gaming as the C64 and the Amiga, while PC gaming in the US during the same time period was basically choppy EGA 16-color (or worse, choppy CGA 4-color) until VGA finally became widely adopted (with some exceptions, like smooth EGA 16-color in some of id's pre-Wolfenstein 3D games).

Though at least we had the sense to not try and use one-button joysticks for literally every function in our games, I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I've been thinking about picking up a Genesis and digging into stuff outside of the things I played at my friends' houses as a kid. Didn't have one myself so my exposure to the system's pretty limited, just kind of the Sonic stuff and a few of the more well-known things that got ported to consoles and PC later on in collections.

Is there a specific model of Genesis I should be trying to grab or does it matter a whole lot for someone who's just wanting to get into it kind of casually?

I'm in the same boat, Genesis is one of few consoles I've never owned. My friend had one growing up so I got to play sonic and jurassic park, but I was always a SNES kid.

I have a few games now (play using retron) and I should get some OG hardware...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

On the other hand, I must confess some amount of envy that the Europeans were enjoying computers as capable for gaming as the C64 and the Amiga, while PC gaming in the US during the same time period was basically choppy EGA 16-color (or worse, choppy CGA 4-color) until VGA finally became widely adopted (with some exceptions, like smooth EGA 16-color in some of id's pre-Wolfenstein 3D games).

Though at least we had the sense to not try and use one-button joysticks for literally every function in our games, I guess.

Most of them weren't though, they were stuck on systems that had the exact same low color/choppy animation issues as CGA or EGA. :v:
Especially since most of the games you'd play didn't have the effort put in to really wring all the power out of the hardware available.

And the C64 was massively massively popular in the US as well don't forget, especially when it gets past 1986 and Commodre's cut the price to $99-$149. Though the color on it is actually pretty bad, programmers just get really skilled at beating the palette limitations into submission!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of Genesis, as someone who's not an audiophile by any stretch, would getting a Mk2 be noticeably worse than a Mk1? I know that's kind of subjective, but I'm finding a lot of Mk2's for a reasonable price and not sure I really want to shell out like a hundred more for the HD AUDIO model if I'm just looking to play one or two games here and there.

So my setup would probably be Mk2 + SCART cable going into my crappy SCART-HDMI upscaler until I can build/buy OSSC

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

fishmech posted:

But there's, say, basically no Apple II presence in the UK.
There was no Acorn / BBC Micro presence in the US either.

fishmech posted:

My mom was able to afford a PC AT on a fresh-out-of-college elementary school teacher's salary in like 1986, for instance (and could have saved several hundred bucks on that by going for one of the clones if it'd been an issue), while it seems that buying a computer like that in the UK would have been flatly unaffordable with a similar job.
Wasn't the AT's price influenced due to presence of clones?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Wasn't the AT's price influenced due to presence of clones?

Well yes that is the point. Both did make attempts, but they didn't do any better than the Timex-Sinclair deal which barely sold. The US model BBC Micro was quite the clusterfuck too, as Acorn's team had rushed out the conversion to NTSC and reduced the resolution of the screen substantially, causing extra headaches. It might have had a chance to pull the sort of market share that minor systems like the TI 99/4a or various Tandy spinoffs did.

Yes, but I don't see how that's relevant? All IBM PC prices since like 2 months after launch were influenced by the presence of clones. There were clones over in the UK too, but they all seem to have cost a lot more than they did in the US, to say nothing of how much more the actual IBM branded machines cost over their US versions.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of Genesis, as someone who's not an audiophile by any stretch, would getting a Mk2 be noticeably worse than a Mk1? I know that's kind of subjective, but I'm finding a lot of Mk2's for a reasonable price and not sure I really want to shell out like a hundred more for the HD AUDIO model if I'm just looking to play one or two games here and there.

So my setup would probably be Mk2 + SCART cable going into my crappy SCART-HDMI upscaler until I can build/buy OSSC

If you're not an audiophile and the difference in price is that much and you're not big on the system already? Meh, go for the Mark 2. You could always get it modded with a MegaAmp somewhere down the line if it ever becomes an issue.

fishmech posted:

And the UK computer market really does remain quite small, even considering that the UK is of course 1/5 the population of the US. You have Amigas regarded as a massive success and massively popular and common computer, for example, yet they only ever sold about 6 million of them worldwide over 10 years, with a decent chunk of that 6 million not even on UK shores. Meanwhile, by 1986 the PC clones were already selling 6 million units a year globally - there's so much of a difference in scale at work.

And sure a lot of this stuff comes down to price, but it doesn't really seem like UK computers were ever really that cheap, just that many computers that were big in the US had prices that were like a factor of like 3 or more higher than the price they sold for in the US/Canada. And it surely can't just be down to import fees or something, since all the popular Commodore and Atari systems in the UK came from America in the first place. My mom was able to afford a PC AT on a fresh-out-of-college elementary school teacher's salary in like 1986, for instance (and could have saved several hundred bucks on that by going for one of the clones if it'd been an issue), while it seems that buying a computer like that in the UK would have been flatly unaffordable with a similar job.

AFAIK, the UK wasn't even Commodore's biggest market in Europe most of the time. Germany was bigger most of the time, except for a short period when Atari had the market early on in the ST's life.

Import fees wouldn't have been a factor at all, not with Commodore - most of what they sold in Europe was manufactured either in Europe or in Hong Kong. I have a C64 made in West Germany, an A500 from Hong Kong and a UK A1200. :) not sure about Atari but I imagine it was a similar story there...not sure what the exact reason for the expense is, but my reckoning is a weak pound might have had something to do with it - our currency was pretty rubbish until the mid-late 80's. Come later in the decade when things were better, companies were keeping prices up either through software bundles (Commodore especially were excellent at these - the game bundles are one of the main reasons why we love the Amiga so much), or the Amstrad approach of integrating as much as possible into the computer itself (CPC's and Spectrum +2's had tape decks integrated into the computer, and came with a monitor too). And yeah, PC's were prohibitively expensive until the early 90's. I certainly don't think any new teacher could have afforded an AT back then - pretty much any PC or clone was well over a thousand pounds, so probably a scary amount in dollars...micros were more affordable than that, at least. There's also the likes of the Tandy 1000 and Amstrad PCW, made for office use and much cheaper than clones (the PCW came with a printer, word processor, and CP/M for £399).

Of course, a big chunk of the price difference does also come down to these British companies just flat out making a killing selling cheap components for a big mark up. I mean, the build quality of the Spectrum 48k was hideous, even beyond that freaking keyboard - they look great, but that's it. ZX81's and ZX80's were even worse - famously, the ZX81 with the (necessary) RAM expansion would reset if you so much as breathed on it because the connection was so poor. There was a big market for replacement cases for the Spectrum in particular because the quality was just SO bad. Even the "improved" Spectrum+...that might have had a proper keyboard, but the keys in that thing fell out the second you looked at them. They were absolute dogshit.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

Though the color on it is actually pretty bad, programmers just get really skilled at beating the palette limitations into submission!

I dunno, I'd still take it over EGA's. You can do a lot more convincing color ranges with the C64, helped by the inclusion of three grays instead of only two, which work as pretty good bridges between differing hues.

Personally the best option would've been for IBM to let you change the EGA's stock 16-color palette to use any 16 of the 64 possible colors, much like 640x350 EGA lets you do, but they didn't design it that way, so this is where we are.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Martytoof posted:

There's plenty of audio comparisons out there on the internet. Personally I use a later model and don't care, but then you mentioned buy an expensive scaler so I don't know how obsessive you want to get with it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

And the C64 was massively massively popular in the US as well don't forget, especially when it gets past 1986 and Commodre's cut the price to $99-$149. Though the color on it is actually pretty bad, programmers just get really skilled at beating the palette limitations into submission!

I think the thing about the C64 is the colors it does have are kinda pleasant looking compared to contemporaries like the TRS-80 color, Apple II, Spectrum, pre-VGA PC, etc. To me anyway it has the nicest palette of all the 8-bit micros

e:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Shockingly there was but it was small and I think used mostly in education. There actually were a few in the computer room of the small catholic school I went to during very early elementary school in the mid-80's, along with a few PETs and Apples. I remember the owl logo very clearly. I think all we ever did on any of those machines was use LOGO

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 27, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, it makes me sad to be posting this in the retro thread (since I remember when these games were red hot), but... did everyone kind of forget that the Legacy of Kain series existed? For a game that pretty much created the whole "AAA cinematic action-adventure" thing, people don't talk about Soul Reaver much these days.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Martytoof posted:

The different should be more like $10 instead of $80, but you probably wouldn't notice a difference anyway.

You also don't need the HD audio case ones, since most model 1 Genesises have the good audio and you should be looking at the rear of the case instead. The good models all look like the top one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There are 3 different models of "Model 1" Genesis

Launch window units, "High Definition Graphics" without TRSS.
"High Definition Graphics" with TRSS.
Units without "High Definition Graphics".

The ones which say "High Definition Graphics" have the "best" audio if you go via the headphone jack on the front, but the lack-of TRSS (a copy protection scheme) carries a premium but you generally don't have to worry about it if you're using legit carts and/or an Everdrive, it's only for really weird bootleg stuff so don't pay extra for that.

All of that being said, the "worse" sound ones including the Model 2 aren't a massive downgrade, so if it's still legit $80ish cheaper to get one of those just do that, it's totally fine. Just don't get clone systems or Model 3's, is all.

If you want to dig through Model 2's, they have several revisions but it's somewhat inconsistent, the early better sound ones generally have a smaller motherboard shield so the vents on the bottom are "clear" for a part of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadow Hog posted:

My dad and uncle used to run a Radio Shack so one day he came home with a Tandy 1000 HX that I pretty much only used to play old edutainment games. It was only really recently I learned, thanks to people like LGR and DOS Nostalgia, that it was once considered a top of the line gaming PC and now I'm kicking myself for not realizing it back then.

Then again, this was in the early 90's when that computer was considered "Quite Old," but I wouldn't really have anything else to play PC games on for a while anyway.

Oh well, I had a lot of fun playing Treasure Mountain and Reader Rabbit I guess :v:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 27, 2017

• Locked thread