Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Heh, I love Thoreau so that's an interesting premise. Why's it have to be Walden, a game though? Sounds really pretentious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

Heh, I love Thoreau so that's an interesting premise. Why's it have to be Walden, a game though? Sounds really pretentious.

Most likely because it is pretentious.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

LeJackal posted:

yes

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

LeJackal posted:

Probably. Though the line between loving the smell of your own farts and other people hating the smell of their farts so bad that they hate your farts too is kinda thin.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
gently caress thoreau

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Coolguye posted:

gently caress thoreau

is that right

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

dude sux/is a dumb head

simplicity is not spiritually enlightening or idyllic, it is the literal definition of poverty and drudgery

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Coolguye posted:

dude sux/is a dumb head

simplicity is not spiritually enlightening or idyllic, it is the literal definition of poverty and drudgery

He was also living off of family money at the time.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

How about a John Muir simulator then? I'd play that game.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Coolguye posted:

dude sux/is a dumb head

dude, i have a summer cabin w/o running water. don't knock it till you've tried it

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Overwined posted:

How about a John Muir simulator then? I'd play that game.

This is the open world RPG I want. Need a dedicated button for bitching about sheep.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

dude, i have a summer cabin w/o running water. don't knock it till you've tried it

how did you build this cabin? if you didn't fell each tree yourself, learning as much as needed about both timber and lumber as needed, ol' henny boy is mad at you.

how do you keep this cabin warm? do you have a stove? a fireplace? did you construct these things yourself?

do you have any iron tools in that house? did you mine, smelt, and shape this metal yourself? carve the wooden handles?

what about your furnishings? did you grow, spin, and weave the cloth used in the couch or on the bed?

how about the food you have in the cupboards? did you grow, process, can, tin, and store this food yourself? or do you bring some in from the local grocery store?

all of these things are rooted in interconnectedness and interdependence in an economy of insane complexity. i can definitely get down with wanting to say gently caress the rat race for a bit and hang out where there's nothing to do but do some basic chores and stare at the ceiling. it's super peaceful. but that's not simplicity like henny dan liked, that's a vacay.

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is the open world RPG I want. Need a dedicated button for bitching about sheep.

screen flashes red whenever you see a sheep take a dump and if someone suggests compromising about the grand canyon the game outright rewards you for murdering them

muir owned btw

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Coolguye posted:

how did you build this cabin? if you didn't fell each tree yourself, learning as much as needed about both timber and lumber as needed, ol' henny boy is mad at you.

how do you keep this cabin warm? do you have a stove? a fireplace? did you construct these things yourself?

do you have any iron tools in that house? did you mine, smelt, and shape this metal yourself? carve the wooden handles?

what about your furnishings? did you grow, spin, and weave the cloth used in the couch or on the bed?

how about the food you have in the cupboards? did you grow, process, can, tin, and store this food yourself? or do you bring some in from the local grocery store?

i did, yes

Coolguye posted:

muir owned btw

other than the rampant racism.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Y'all please shut the gently caress up with the dickwaving, TIA.

I got The Long Dark and it owns. Started in Mystery Lake, first go round I died of dysentery in 3 days. I was dying of dehydration, so when I found the ice lake I thought I was saved - I'll just break open a hole in that ice and then I have drinking water! Wait what do you mean that doesn't work? I can fish in the lake but not loving drink it? I've tried to keep my out of game research to a minimum, but I gave up and googled it.

Being from a climate where I can count on my hands the number of times I've seen snow stick to the ground, it never occurred to me to try melting snow, which apparently I have been continuously collecting in my pack, where it is weightless until melted. So I melted it and drank it. Without boiling :v:

RIP canadabro #1, my first video game victim of dysentery in 20 years.

Try #2 has been more successful:

Used the cabin with the Canadian flag by Mystery Lake as a home base, at this point I'm rocking wolf / deer / rabbit clothes, I visited the forge in the Forlorn Muskeg and made an improvised knife, since I have yet to find one, ever, in the game. Things seem pretty drat stable, I could probably last things out here for weeks, at least until my last hatchet breaks and I have no more whetstones. The Muskeg seemed pretty empty and hostile, drat near died on my second night there, between the unlucky nonstop fog, finding out what "thin ice" means, and the bear that was between me and firewood.

Anyway, things feel very comfortable now, perhaps too much so. I'm on the default difficulty, Voyageur I think. Should I just move on to a higher difficulty or is there something worth exploring at my current difficulty in one of the other zones?

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 27, 2017

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
you're not carrying it, it's just everywhere. the snow.

metasynthetic posted:

Anyway, things feel very comfortable now, perhaps too much so. I'm on the default difficulty, Voyageur I think. Should I just move on to a higher difficulty or is there something worth exploring at my current difficulty in one of the other zones?[/spoiler]

Stalker is the same as voyager but with 3x more wolves. It's not really harder, just more tedious. Interloper is where it's at, but you need a lot of meta knowledge to make it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I find the funnest way to play is Interloper is to edit a pickaxe and a knife to your inventory at the start. That gives a little bit more time to play before going to a forge.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Dyna Soar posted:

you're not carrying it, it's just everywhere. the snow.

I know now, I'm just bitter. It's one of the few things that took me out of the game - it feels very video-game-y that I can't somehow drink water right there but yet heaps of snow which actually wasn't nearby (when this all went down I was in the middle of the ice in the shack) I can teleport to my campfire. It's not like the game shies away from realistic tedium in other regards. And that's not a knock against, god drat it's satisfying.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Man lives as a Hermit in Maine for 30 years. I honestly wonder if this guy would enjoy The Long Dark. I feel like they should name a sleeping outside for 1000 nights achievement after him.

Also, :wtc:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Paracelsus posted:

He was also living off of family money at the time.

He was also in loving Massachusetts in the mid-19th century, it's not like he was more than a brisk 20 minute walk from a town. He was roughing it exactly as much as any dude on an official trail with a solar powered iPad charger and GPS would be nowadays. Which is not a knock, nature is awesome and it's better to make some effort to appreciate it than none at all, but....yeah. He wasn't exactly fist fighting bears with his dick out or something.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 28, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

i did, yes
i think you are lying sir!!!!!!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mulva posted:

He was also in loving Massachusetts in the mid-19th century, it's not like he was more than a brisk 20 minute walk from a town. He was roughing it exactly as much as any dude on an official trail with a solar powered iPad charger and GPS would be nowadays. Which is not a knock, nature is awesome and it's better to make some effort to appreciate it than none at all, but....yeah. He wasn't exactly fist fighting bears with his dick out or something.

I really think it's an unfair characterization of Naturalism to always equate it with stoic, self-imposed hardship.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Not "Naturalism" but his version of it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Overwined posted:

I really think it's an unfair characterization of Naturalism to always equate it with stoic, self-imposed hardship.

"Who would have gained more at the end of a month: The boy who dug, smelted, and shaped his own ore, reading as much as required to do so, or the boy who attended the classes on metallurgy, and received a penknife from his father?"

^ - Literally a thing HDT wrote, he then went on to virulently defend the first boy as the cooler and radder kid

you know, despite the fact that that kid likely cannot do all of those things in a month, even without worrying about feeding himself (which is cheating by his own rules here, but so is reading tbqh), will make a terrifically inferior product, and is liable to hurt or maim himself in the process. the second kid will get what he needs to know, get a pimpin' knife, and have a lot of time left over to read about other things, work for money that will get him other things, or just go out and get laid, which makes him more successful biologically.

HDT is a dumbhead and people should not look at him as anything even approaching a legitimate philosopher, dude is as legit as ayn rand.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
he had his faults, just like everyone. his mother did his laundry while he was busy writing walden, for crissakes :P

i just like reading his prose and recognize his influence as a naturalist and a conservationist. there'd be no deep ecology without thoreau.

are you familiar with gary snyder?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 28, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

he had next to no influence as a conservationist. deep ecology arose from scientific tinkering by the likes of paul ehrlich (the scientist, not the unfortunately named and constantly wrong as hell arch-pessimist of the 1960s, who hilariously was a big spokesman for deep ecology) and his contemporaries. HDT was never cited as a serious inspiration to any of them in the multiple volumes of books those actually qualified people wrote on the subject. you needn't accept what i'm saying here as a hot take, go ahead and read wikipedia on the matter. hell you can read HDT's own page and note that while walden is his most known book, his most influential text by far is on civil disobedience, which actually had influence because that was a topic he had actually gone out and put his hands on. his naturalist writings were largely romanticism dressed up as practical life advice. the entire reason conservationists don't hearken back to HDT is because he has no loving clue what he's talking about. even greenpeace sorts go back to their central air homes at the end of a hard day of protesting and will happily say that we shouldn't be disassembling electrical systems. that's not what HDT is about, by his own admission and repeated assertion.

i'm perfectly familiar with gary snyder, and he's primarily a poet - he also does environmental activism sure but he has been neither terribly important nor influential. are you familiar with what actual conservation work and activism looks like? it looks like these cats and is done through institutions like robert nairn's watershed restoration inc, which are not HDT's self-defeating version of naturalist in any way shape or form.

reality is holmes that HDT is a dumbhead when it comes to nature and only has the reach he does because he was the most widely published dude in the room. i read him first too. i eventually found ehrlich and friends and got into poo poo that seemed like more than grasping at straws, and then kept reading and found there are at least 3 full schools of thought in the current conservationist movement, none of which agree with even 10% of what HDT talked about it walden or his other ostensibly 'green' essays.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i brought up snyder because like him imo thoreau is a poet, not a scientist. also you're fooling yourself if you think he's had no influence on later naturalist or conservationist movements. he had a huge influence, he was hugely popular in his day.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 28, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so the basic duality here is that you're considering an impact on the romantic impression of environmentalism to be a big influence, whereas i think that's a huge load of bullshit because that provably does not lead to any action whatsoever in saving any watersheds, ecosystems, or species.

well i can understand your viewpoint at least, though viewpoints like yours are precisely why conservation movements poo poo all over themselves more frequently than do anything useful.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i sincerely apologise, goolguye. it's just the cold hard truth and also you're right that a lot of conservation movements poo poo all over themselves. it's my fault, i know.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you really just make yourself look churlish when you do stuff like that

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Coolguye posted:

you really just make yourself look churlish when you do stuff like that

i also enjoyed reading unabomber

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i havent read that one though it is on my audible list for after i finish my current state intelligence kick

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

What the gently caress happened to this thread.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

we had a chat on the inter nets

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
here's a picture of my outhouse. i'm building a new one this spring:

what do you think

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 28, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

thinkin u didn't maek that paint yourself SIR

in seriousness reminds me of the cabin my uncle had in the great smoky mountains. man i had a good time there as a kid.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
it's made out of blueberries and cum

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Firos posted:

What the gently caress happened to this thread.

It emerged as a beautiful butterfly.

No really, I found it highly entertaining and maybe just a bit elucidating as well.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I also think a video game that sparked a conversation about the nature of Naturalism is in some not insignificant way a success.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Overwined posted:

I also think a video game that sparked a conversation about the nature of Naturalism is in some not insignificant way a success.

Or at least it was a successful video game *announcement*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

it's made out of blueberries and cum

think what you want about what was posted that entire conversation got us this post

in my book that's worth quite a bit