Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Cursing and war crimes are both bad enough i dont see the point in ranking them. Like, just dont do either??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Kingfish posted:

But the point is that people like B5 are MORE offended by 'oval office' than the literal mass murderer. They will apologize for someone who prasies Kissinger and attack somebody who uses 'oval office'. Brutal imperialism is acceptable but the rude word isn't!

Kingfish get a platinum upgrade so I can pm you.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Calibanibal posted:

Cursing and war crimes are both bad enough i dont see the point in ranking them. Like, just dont do either??

But if I don't rank one over the other then how can I claim the intellectual high ground? : (

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Ender posted:

But if I don't rank one over the other then how can I claim the intellectual high ground? : (

I think you might have gotten ironied on??

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

But the point is that people like B5 are MORE offended by 'oval office' than the literal mass murderer. They will apologize for someone who prasies Kissinger and attack somebody who uses 'oval office'. Brutal imperialism is acceptable but the rude word isn't!

Kissinger is bad. Praising Kissinger is foolish, but not inherently harmful.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

Legitimizing war criminals is not harmful at all. Right.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nevvy Z posted:

I think that it is just as harmful if not more harmful than using a gendered slur.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Uh. Does that work with anyone who's bad?

I am suddenly tempted to Godwin.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

hmmm

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Also no one in this thread was praising kissinger, afaik. They were accused of being more offended of the one thing than the other, which is a stupid. Because you can't prove it, and you can't prove the moral virtue of one or the other, it's a stupid excuse to take potshots at B5 instead of just not calling people cunts.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Is saying that a certain dictator of Germany did nothing wrong not in any way harmful?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Nevvy Z posted:

Frieza is bad. Praising Frieza is foolish, but not inherently harmful.

Uhhhhh

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Good grief.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Is saying that a certain dictator of Germany did nothing wrong not in any way harmful?

Depends on who you say it too. Obviously some people's feelings would be very hurt. Shia Lebouf should not be punished for shoving that guy. But he also shouldn't call that guy a "oval office".

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

Depends on who you say it too. Obviously some people's feelings would be very hurt. Shia Lebouf should not be punished for shoving that guy. But he also shouldn't call that guy a "oval office".

What if we're offended for basic human decency reasons of someone praising a ghoul like Kissinger?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

i think the idea is that normalizing mass murder and genocide is bad because it will lead to more of them in the future, and that hurt feelings are a lot less bad than even a slightly increased chance of genocide and mass murder

the word oval office normalizes misogyny and violence against women, so that's a valid argument. but you cited 'hurt feelings' instead of that so

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah.

'Adolf Hitler is my idol.'

I'm sure that would've gone down really well. I'm sure that there would have been no incredible backlash to that statement at all. It really depends.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah, I know, I heard all that when kissinger was praised. That was a long time ago, not sure why you guys are harping about it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

icantfindaname posted:

i think the idea is that normalizing mass murder and genocide is bad because it will lead to more of them in the future, and that hurt feelings are a lot less bad than even a slightly increased chance of genocide and mass murder

Using gendered slurs also perpetuates and furthers patriarchal horseshit when you just don't need to do it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Using gendered slurs also perpetuates and furthers patriarchal horseshit when you just don't need to do it.

But HRC did a bad thing 8 monthsa year ago!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nevvy Z posted:

But HRC did a bad thing 8 months ago!

And she did do a bad thing! I agree.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Meanwhile no one in this thread has praised Henry Kissinger but it's very important we all say "oval office" because a politician did a bad thing once.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Clinton is as evil as kissinger but more dangerous because she isnt universally recognized as a monster (yet)

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah, I know, I heard all that when kissinger was praised. That was a long time ago, not sure why you guys are harping about it.

Because I pointed out how weird it is that liberals tell me to get over the fact that last year HRC said she idealizes a war criminal.

E: Like, its telling that you think this isn't the sort of thing that we should be "harping" about.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 27, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There are reasons for people to praise Kissinger like you could praise any other monster in history, without them praising their monstrous acts directly. There is no reason to use misogynistic slurs, or any slur, without contriving elaborate thought experiments designed to legitimize the use of that slur, just like praising Kissinger legitimizes his actions indirectly. Calling refraining from slurs "identity politics" merely reemphasizes how many Bernouts are racist and sexist.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Well, it's not relevant to anything.

Please do remind me of it if she tries to run in 2020. God forbid.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Brainiac Five posted:

There are reasons for people to praise Kissinger

nope

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Why aren't you going after the guy who praised another genocidaire with as much vigor? Is it because you don't care about Kissinger except as a way to ineffectually beat up on people?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Lets compromise for once, and agree that praising war criminals and using gendered slurs are both morally dubious acts???? Drop the purity tests, for once?? Come on yall

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

effectronica admires pope alexander for banging lots of kiddies

Brainiac Five posted:

It is. It's possible to admire Kissinger in the way you'd admire Richelieu or Talleyrand or Pope Alexander, but it's not possible to use c*** without being a misogynist or a Brit or a loving idiot.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Brainiac Five posted:

Why aren't you going after the guy who praised another genocidaire with as much vigor?

Who?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Is it because you don't care about [X] except as a way to ineffectually beat up on people?

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Well, it's not relevant to anything.

Please do remind me of it if she tries to run in 2020. God forbid.

I think the problem is less about Clinton being around for another run and more that people as incisive, witty & worldly as yourself tend to fill the ranks of those who feel it is their title to captain the ship of the DNC.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

icantfindaname posted:

jesus christ

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

Because I pointed out how weird it is that liberals tell me to get over the fact that last year HRC said she idealizes a war criminal.

E: Like, its telling that you think this isn't the sort of thing that we should be "harping" about.

Both Hillary and Bernie said they idealized war criminals, and you got over it with Bernie. I don't think anyone expects you to stop harping about stupid poo poo but don't expect us to take any of it very seriously.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

you should project less imo

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Ender posted:

I think the problem is less about Clinton being around for another run and more that people as incisive, witty & worldly as yourself tend to fill the ranks of those who feel it is their title to captain the ship of the DNC.

Not seeing a problem.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The guy who said he admired Churchill. Why aren't you calling him a pedophile and a mass-murder apologist?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I take u seriously, the kingfisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

I keep forgetting that centrists are cool with imperialism.

It's an easy thing to fall into, speaking from experience.

Nevvy Z posted:

My god, lol

• Locked thread