Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

can you name a more iconic duo?
Hull/Emu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Don't forget that he also openly said he talked to god about his decisions on wars. I dont know about you but I dont want religious people in charge, they get a bit weird

Remember that a majority of the country are religious to some extent.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Also what the gently caress is this I'm reading about EU citizens registering for their "right to live"? I mean, if you guys eventually start asking me to do any sort of registering for the "privilege" of staying in a failing economy instead of doing the sane thing and just allowing EU people to stay around, then you've got a surprise coming.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pissflaps posted:

'Who?' -Jeremy Corbyn

He knew them as PJ and Duncan

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Also what the gently caress is this I'm reading about EU citizens registering for their "right to live"? I mean, if you guys eventually start asking me to do any sort of registering for the "privilege" of staying in a failing economy instead of doing the sane thing and just allowing EU people to stay around, then you've got a surprise coming.

What sort of economy have you got back home?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Breath Ray posted:

What sort of economy have you got back home?

Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Stockholm - I can move to any of them and have a healthy economy to call home. I just get better money being in the UK right now.

Also I'm a bit of an anglophile and I love London, but yeah, start revoking my right to live here and I'll book a plane gently caress you. Say bye to the £50k I pay in taxes every year.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 27, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

millions dead is worth it to pissflaps if labour win the election

Between wrecking the NHS, causing mass unemployment and starving the resulting poor to death I wouldn't be surprised if May's body count ends up exceeding Blair's. It's a close run thing, but at least with Blair we were left with a functioning economy and public health and not a fascist international pariah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

not a fascist international pariah.

I mean, we kind of were.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

big scary monsters posted:

In other Prime Minister Emeritus news, good to see that Cameron has been keeping himself busy with worthwhile endeavours.
https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/836294380281606144

are you loving kidding me?

MASSIVE LOLZ

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mediadave posted:

I don't think this is true

Oh yes it is:

Blair 'prayed to God' over Iraq

Prime Minister Tony Blair has told how he prayed to God when deciding whether or not to send UK troops to Iraq.

Mr Blair answered "yes" when asked on ITV1 chat show Parkinson - to be screened on Saturday - if he had sought holy intervention on the issue.

"Of course, you struggle with your own conscience about it... and it's one of these situations that, I suppose, very few people ever find themselves in."

Anti-war campaigners attacked Mr Blair's comments as "a joke".

Mr Blair told show host Michael Parkinson: "In the end, there is a judgement that, I think if you have faith about these things, you realise that judgement is made by other people... and if you believe in God, it's made by God as well."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4772142.stm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG77Jhr28BI

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Jedit posted:

Between wrecking the NHS, causing mass unemployment and starving the resulting poor to death I wouldn't be surprised if May's body count ends up exceeding Blair's. It's a close run thing, but at least with Blair we were left with a functioning economy and public health and not a fascist international pariah.

reminder that tories are afraid of riots in the next two years

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Only because they think that haven't bought enough water canons

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Stockholm - I can move to any of them and have a healthy economy to call home. I just get better money being in the UK right now.

Also I'm a bit of an anglophile and I love London, but yeah, start revoking my right to live here and I'll book a plane gently caress you. Say bye to the £50k I pay in taxes every year.

Those places are ok for a stag weekend but they're hardly long term options!

Still, thanks for visiting and don't let the ferry door fail to close properly on your way out.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Breath Ray posted:

Still, thanks for visiting and don't let the ferry door fail to close properly on your way out.

Always funny to see coddled first-worlders deal with babby's first crisis. You're in for some fun times, oh boy you are.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Breath Ray posted:

Paris, Vienna, Rome; Florence, Athens...

You are a pound-shop Pissflaps.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you pay £50k in tax you must be, er, rather wealthy.

I think at that point it sort of borders on "you can't tax me I will leave and take my job creating with me!1" territory.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 27, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

If you pay £50k in tax you must be, er, rather wealthy.

High income != wealthy. Capital accumulation takes time. I don't create jobs though, compared to the actual capital class I'm just another poor. Also I've actually experienced deep crushing poverty for most of my childhood/teens so I'd like to think I have some perspective.

Also I'm happy to pay taxes, I just made that quip because I was pissed at someone telling me the equivalent of "if you don't like it try somewhere else" when I'm trying to give a gently caress about this country.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 27, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Compared to the overwhelming majority of people in the UK however you are very rich.

Like that works out to about 150k a year salary which puts you in, uh, I think the 99th percentile in terms of income.

You might be a bit booj.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

"um actually im high-income not wealthy" is like "actually its ephebophilia" for the middle class (the other one being for the upper class, obviously)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I definitely think at that point you are the coddled first worlder at the very least.

Or you're maybe not allowed to complain that other people are.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Okay sure I'm extremely well off when you compare me with someone making minimum wage, what I was trying to say is that I haven't had this income for decades so I don't have real estate lying around or massive investments making me passive income. The current tech bubble is being kind to me, and hopefully I'll get an early retirement out of it, that's all.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

cargohills posted:

"um actually im high-income not wealthy" is like "actually its ephebophilia" for the middle class (the other one being for the upper class, obviously)

"the middle class" is bullshit

you either work to live or you don't and the numbers on the paycheck are hardly relevant to this in the ultimate sense.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Can we not call the south american immigrant booj when he's actually paying his loving taxes and not a total poo poo politically

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We might have to strip your wealth when u leave

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Don't blame it on the sunshine
don't blame it on the moonlight
Don't blame it on the good times
Blame it on the bougie

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
pochoclo should take his tech skills and move to the best part of the island and videogame capital of the world

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

JFairfax posted:

are you loving kidding me?

MASSIVE LOLZ

Good to see the best post-fuckup work he's managed to get is selling poo poo out of the back of a van

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

pochoclo should take his tech skills and move to the best part of the island and videogame capital of the world

Ah, my house

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Okay sure I'm extremely well off when you compare me with someone making minimum wage, what I was trying to say is that I haven't had this income for decades so I don't have real estate lying around or massive investments making me passive income. The current tech bubble is being kind to me, and hopefully I'll get an early retirement out of it, that's all.

You take home more in a year ost tax than I expect to pay for my home later this year. And thats with me strapping myself to a 30 year debt.

I appreciate you have likely had a long time of minimal funds, but now you literally pay more in tax in a year then I get paid in 2 and a half.
And I sort of live okay.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Coohoolin posted:

Actually it's kinda sad but videogame dev jobs pay really low salaries.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Spangly A posted:

"the middle class" is bullshit

you either work to live or you don't and the numbers on the paycheck are hardly relevant to this in the ultimate sense.

pretty sure the numbers on the paycheck mean quite a lot for your quality of life tbqh and i think ignoring the difference between the working class and the middle class is a bad idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also they have hilarious labour practices.

Like hilarious in an "I want to kill myself" kind of way.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

mehall posted:

You take home more in a year ost tax than I expect to pay for my home later this year. And thats with me strapping myself to a 30 year debt.

I appreciate you have likely had a long time of minimal funds, but now you literally pay more in tax in a year then I get paid in 2 and a half.
And I sort of live okay.

There is an important issue in understanding the false distinction made between classes in the UK.

Earning more than most people whilst still dependent on work and without property makes you working class.

Having property that cannot support you makes you petit-borgeoise/middle class, and in a self imposed economic recession the key distinctions are that you either take a bit longer to starve to death or you have the chance to flee. These are not minor irrelevancies, but they don't make you capitalist either.

e; and more to the point, given how often the "aspirational" parasite-fantasists of the British petit-bourgeoise vote tory, it's quite nice to see when people with more money are properly redistributing it and not being class traitors.

Wealth isn't bad. Wealth is great, we can all live better. It is inequality, exploitation, and capital that gently caress the poor.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 27, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Death to those who believe in the middle class as anything more than a capitalist construct

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like there is a meaningful distinction between me and someone with the ability to achieve the end result of fifteen years of my life, in one of theirs.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Spangly A posted:

There is an important issue in understanding the false distinction made between classes in the UK.

Earning more than most people whislt still dependent on work and without property makes you working class.

Having property that cannot support you makes you petit-borgeoise/middle class, and in a self imposed economic recession the key distinctions are that you either take a bit longer to starve to death or you have the chance to flee. These are not minor irrelevancies, but they don't make you capitalist either.

But the thing is once you're earning over a certain threshold, yes you may need to move to another country or something, but there will be demand for your skills.

I am glad someone who is glad to pay the tax is earning that much as opposed to someone who isnt, but lets not kid ourselves and say that the guy with a 6 figure paycheck doesnt have options.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Namtab posted:

Ah, my house

I thought you were the anime capital? How'd you claim my video game capital title off me? :colbert:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

Always funny to see coddled first-worlders deal with babby's first crisis. You're in for some fun times, oh boy you are.

I don't think it's cool of you to boast about how much you're earning thanks to being in this country, then laugh at our misfortune for having made an economically harmful democratic decision.

Frankly, it's rude.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Wealth has a great isolating factor from the harsh edges of reality; not worrying about rent for a few months even if disaster strikes is a great sense to carry around. Risk of being deported probably overcomes that though.

Not to mention how bonkers your perspective can get when you're surrounded by millionaires and you only earn £250k or something.

Also check out who the Graudian likes now: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/27/the-guardian-view-on-george-w-bush-a-welcome-return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mister Adequate posted:

I thought you were the anime capital? How'd you claim my video game capital title off me? :colbert:

Sounds like he's seized all the means of preventing reproduction.

• Locked thread