Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

"Kickstarter games just don't have the quality control of games that go through a traditional publishing route" -

Something effectively said by SUSD like, 2 days after launching a kickstarter for a game expansion they worked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I was kinda surprised by Scythe review. The game reminds me a lot of power grid with the hard calculations stripped out.

The thing that was particularly interesting was the comment about the pacing. One of the reasons they remind me of each other is they have the same arc where you start off very slowly but the pacing builds to a crescendo. I think scythe is probably less rewarding if skill that power grid but it's the same sort of thing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The problem with using anything from Jo'Ann's or plano boxes for Colonists is that it's too difficult to get the chits out of those. GMT counter trays are really the way to go, even though they are flat and you'll need like four of them.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Another mindthief retire-er checking in. The class that replaced our mindthief is amazing but really relies on there being a dictated front line of the battle, so starting him off in a mad hold-out fight was probably not the right way to go. Still very excited about him.

Spoilers for the class we unlocked, which has a cthulhu-esque symbol on its box:
the Harrower Plagueherald is a class that immediately burrowed right inside of my diablo II necromancer-loving heart. This thing is an interesting fragile debuffer and AoE damage dealer. While you can play it reliably just for its interesting and varied status debuffs with an accent on poison, its ability to make two of its cards into +1 attack cards with downsides makes it an incredibly powerful AoE nuker if you can get the right circumstances set up. It's much harder to play this character without the survival skills I'm used to having on my mindthief, but it is amazing to be able to burn down several targets at once from across the map. The option to spread poison to your friends and use it to their advantage, as well as to spec in a heavy curse build are both really intriguing tactical options. It seems like it's a nautral fit with the Cragheart, which has the ability to capitalize on the spread of poison with its own AoE attacks.

Very impressed with the range of characters in this game. This new class isn't a reskin or retheme of a previous class at all. Its got a very unique style of play that sets it apart from the other class in its archetype. Plus, we unlocked a new set of items after getting to prosperity 2 and the amount of different options out there really is staggering. It feels like you could build any given character a three or four different main ways with dozens of smaller variations based on what kind of kit you picked out.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Rutibex posted:

This is very similar to my storage solution

Some people are completely content with plastic bags and that is great, I have to say that I'm enjoying my games more now that I have some good storage for them :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like plastic bags for some kinds of games but hard containers for others. The more little poo poo that needs to be regularly manipulated, the more I like a tray or insert.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
After many moons (a couple of months) I finally, finally have my copy of Gloomhaven. It's just as ridiculously massive as was foretold. I will almost certainly never assemble a group dedicated to playing it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EvilChameleon posted:

Some people are completely content with plastic bags and that is great, I have to say that I'm enjoying my games more now that I have some good storage for them :shrug:

The only time i'm ok with baggies is generally if the part is not always needed. Like player colors etc, always use parts i prefer a good storage solution.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask. I don't frequent this sub-forum much though I apparently should have in hind sight.

My wife and I were looking for decent games themed around dinosaurs and I was hoping for recommendations. We're both experienced board gamers so nothing is really off the table in terms of complexity. We were just digging for something that covers the theme well and doesn't suck mechanically. I saw a few options searching around but was interested in any first hand experiences folks here might have had.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DisposableHero posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask. I don't frequent this sub-forum much though I apparently should have in hind sight.

My wife and I were looking for decent games themed around dinosaurs and I was hoping for recommendations. We're both experienced board gamers so nothing is really off the table in terms of complexity. We were just digging for something that covers the theme well and doesn't suck mechanically. I saw a few options searching around but was interested in any first hand experiences folks here might have had.

Evolution is a perfectly decent game which has some dinosaur content - they're not the centre of stuff, but they feature heavily in the art.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

DisposableHero posted:

I've heard good things about the Evolution games.

Looks like Raptor and Evo might also be good fits.

OgreNoah fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 27, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DisposableHero posted:

BIOS Megafauna!!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

DisposableHero posted:

I obviously have no first-hand experience with this, and it's a KS so buyer beware, but you might want to look at Dinosaur Island - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pandasaurus/dinosaur-island-1.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DisposableHero posted:

This is absolutely my favorite post in this thread in a long time.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Evolution is a perfectly decent game which has some dinosaur content - they're not the centre of stuff, but they feature heavily in the art.

I'd highly recommend Evolution Climate over the base game. Climate is a really cool wrinkle, and you can still play something similar to the base game if you omit the climate part.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

corn in the bible posted:

BIOS Megafauna!!

Don't do that to people, please.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jedit posted:

Don't do that to people, please.

he said complexity was not an issue, it'll be fine

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Oh nice! Thanks for all of the recommendations. The real reason I got on this search is during a recent 18 hour power outtage we drug out my old Jurassic Park game and tried to play it. As a kid it seemed ok but as an adult it's awful. It did leave us craving some decent dino games though.

I'll at least check out:
Evolution and/or Evolution Climate
Raptor
Evo
BIOS Megafauna

I don't have a particular issue with Kickstarters but I'm really only looking for already released stuff at the moment.

I happened upon Apex Theropod in my search which on paper sounded right up our alley but that sounds like it's now defunct and it's hard to get a bead on how good the game that did get released ended up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Climate is definitely better than original Evolution. The only real problem is that some of the first game's expansions aren't compatible with it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I obviously have no first-hand experience with this, and it's a KS so buyer beware, but you might want to look at Dinosaur Island - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pandasaurus/dinosaur-island-1.

I was looking at this last night. I like the art+dinos and no loving minis, so it's promising. I do hope it's good. maybe I'll check out the rules later and see if it seems mechanically sound.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Xaris posted:

I was looking at this last night. I like the art+dinos and no loving minis, so it's promising. I do hope it's good. maybe I'll check out the rules later and see if it seems mechanically sound.

I dunno, a Dino game seems like a ripe opportunity for a ton of minis.

There seems to be a lack of good adult dinosaur games, someone should work on that. Lots of design space left.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
If I find a good dinosaur game that doesn't have minis I bet I can easily rectify that with a quick trip to Toys R Us. Maybe they'll have one of those bags of assorted dinos and plastic ferns I can position around the board.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Impermanent posted:

Very impressed with the range of characters in this game. This new class isn't a reskin or retheme of a previous class at all. Its got a very unique style of play that sets it apart from the other class in its archetype. Plus, we unlocked a new set of items after getting to prosperity 2 and the amount of different options out there really is staggering. It feels like you could build any given character a three or four different main ways with dozens of smaller variations based on what kind of kit you picked out.

Yeah with several of the new items that became available to us recently I had the reaction of 'wow that's cool' seeing the possibilities that it could open up. Sounds like you unlocked a different class from us (we unlocked the one with the two mini boxes), so I'm glad to hear that that one also is not just a reskin but something fairly different! It hurts to know that unless I cheat I'll probably never get to see half of the characters that could be unlocked.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
Has anyone gotten a copy of the Set Rotation expansion for Millennium Blades and gotten a chance to try out the cooperative modes? The base game didn't really click with my group and I'm wondering how much the cooperative stuff changes things up. I assume it would get us to at least consider selling and trading stuff the other players can use instead of sitting around doing nothing because we don't want to help our opponents out, but does it do anything to actually affect the core gameplay at all?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Re: foam core chat:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/5wibvx/foamcore_gallery_tips_and_tricks_galore/

Yeah, it's reddit but some the inserts look really nice and this guy seems to know what he is talking about. Nothing too fancy, just some stuff a beginner should be able to pull off.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Re: dino kickstarter chat, it's from the designer of Dead of Winter and the producers of Machi Koro which raises red flags for me.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
18xx,xxx,xxx BCE is my favorite genre of dinosaur games

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Selecta84 posted:

Re: foam core chat:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/5wibvx/foamcore_gallery_tips_and_tricks_galore/

Yeah, it's reddit but some the inserts look really nice and this guy seems to know what he is talking about. Nothing too fancy, just some stuff a beginner should be able to pull off.

This is really good! The only thing I've seen so far that I disagree with is not leaving the pins in while gluing. He doesn't say it's bad or anything, but I leave them in and have had no problems. This guide has a few 'advanced techniques' if you want to fancy up your foamcore, but don't bother trying these while starting out because they are just for show, really.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

corn in the bible posted:

Climate is definitely better than original Evolution. The only real problem is that some of the first game's expansions aren't compatible with it

You're not meant to play more than one expansion at a time. The idea behind the Evolution project is to look at the different ways one major change affects survival strategies. The base game is about being too big/well defended to predate or a good enough predator to get round that, although there are some side strategies like creating a symbiosis where you and a predator both get fed while maintaining population. Flight adds the twist that carnivores have to work harder to attack flyers and it's less worthwhile but you give up much more to have a flying species. And Climate turns the base game on its head by allowing one player to gain a huge advantage by preparing for environmental changes, making it too warm for big species to survive or too cold for the small ones.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Kerro posted:

17 scenarios in to Gloomhaven now and my Mindthief has now retired (would have been faster, but we started a second 4-man party for four of those scenarios). I'll definitely miss his abilities - he got to level 5 before he retired and had largely removed all the negative modifiers from the attack deck through perks which made him a highly effective assassin. It's really interesting seeing the completely different builds that you could create even for the same class as you start to unlock more ability options, and item options.

What's your prosperity level? Do you now have a big disparity in levels between your characters? And if so, how did it play?

I also retired at level 5 and our prosperity was only 2. So now I have to start over at level 2 while my partner is level 6. We've only played twice so far with this new setup and it's been a little annoying/awkward. The monsters are scaled above me and below him which has left me a bit vulnerable at times, especially when my new class is a front-line fighter type. Also, starting over at a low level means I have very few items compared to where I left off and my partner is decked out in tons of equipment. I don't really like this setup with such a great disparity. Luckily my partner will retire next scenario and we'll be back to parity.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

By the way, the SHCD West End Adventures reprint is really nice and clearly of much higher print and production quality than the SHCD base game reprint was. I think they said they're gonna redo the original, too, which should be nice. It feels a lot more like a proper product and less like a weird budget-release kickstarter game

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Somebody asked about Ponzi Scheme a few pages back. I have only played it twice so far, but I'll buy it for myself soon. It's great and I can't think of another game like it.
It's more of a social than an economic game because what constitutes an economically good choice depends largely on correctly guessing how the other players are doing and what their plans are.
I'm not sure it would work well with less than 4 players.

DisposableHero posted:

Triassic Terror is a good area control game with dinosaur miniatures, which is to say plastic toy dinosaurs. It ends up looking better on the table than it has any right to.
It's similar to El Grande, but with more direct conflict. Very little luck involved, and offers a good amount of options each turn.
The main caveat is that, since it's an area control game, I would defnitely not get it if you're looking only for a game for 2. Also, it theoretically plays up to 6, but in reality you should never go above 5. And the rulebook isn't great, but the rules are fairly straightforward so it's not too big an issue.

Raptor was too random for me to enjoy, especially since it works out in a way that having bad luck can severely restrict your options in a given turn.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

There's also Trias, which is an area-control game with a changing tile-based hex map and cute little dinosaur meeples, and two Doris and Frank games that use the same meeples, Ark (about balancing the cabins on Noah's ark and making sure no creature is in the wrong climate or gets eaten; it has dinos as well as mythical creatures) and Urland (which has your little guys coming out of the sea and getting various genes to give them advantages). Dinosaur games to varying degrees, but all good ones.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Wizard Styles posted:

Triassic Terror is a good area control game with dinosaur miniatures, which is to say plastic toy dinosaurs. It ends up looking better on the table than it has any right to.
It's similar to El Grande, but with more direct conflict. Very little luck involved, and offers a good amount of options each turn.
The main caveat is that, since it's an area control game, I would defnitely not get it if you're looking only for a game for 2. Also, it theoretically plays up to 6, but in reality you should never go above 5. And the rulebook isn't great, but the rules are fairly straightforward so it's not too big an issue.

This sounds like a good option. I should have mentioned we're not necessarily looking for 2 player games. We host game nights pretty often so we have a good supply of folks to force to play games we want to try :D

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Wizard Styles posted:

Somebody asked about Ponzi Scheme a few pages back. I have only played it twice so far, but I'll buy it for myself soon. It's great and I can't think of another game like it.
It's more of a social than an economic game because what constitutes an economically good choice depends largely on correctly guessing how the other players are doing and what their plans are.
I'm not sure it would work well with less than 4 players

Three players stills works, but things are slower with that player count. With only two others, you can't go as hog wild early, and demand a bailout when the interest first comes up. Since there's only one other player not in the lead, potential bailouts are too small unless other players went all-out alongside you.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Cocks Cable posted:

What's your prosperity level? Do you now have a big disparity in levels between your characters? And if so, how did it play?

I also retired at level 5 and our prosperity was only 2. So now I have to start over at level 2 while my partner is level 6. We've only played twice so far with this new setup and it's been a little annoying/awkward. The monsters are scaled above me and below him which has left me a bit vulnerable at times, especially when my new class is a front-line fighter type. Also, starting over at a low level means I have very few items compared to where I left off and my partner is decked out in tons of equipment. I don't really like this setup with such a great disparity. Luckily my partner will retire next scenario and we'll be back to parity.

Yeah I'm not sure how that will go - my partner is currently level 5 to my 2, but I'm kinda looking forward to trying it out as the last couple of scenarios when we were level 5/4 were starting to feel a little easy (or maybe we'd just got the hang of the game better). It definitely feels like it will be an uneven journey at times with one person retiring before the other, but at the moment I don't see it as being too much of a problem - I guess time will tell, and it may be that it's not always viable to create a new character of the class just unlocked for the reason you mentioned - i.e. creating a frontline character.

You probably got this, but remember that you start with more gold at level 2 and a number of perks equal to the number of characters you previously retired, so although you only start at level 2 you do get 45 gold and two perks to start out with. I'll let you know how we find it if we get a chance to play tonight.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You shitheels are making me want to buy Gloomhaven. Stop it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lord Frisk posted:

Well the good news is that you probably won't even be able to unless you happen to be fortunate enough to live near a game store that has an unsold copy or something because it's pretty much sold out everywhere and according to Isaac Childress on BGG a 2nd print run is going to require another Kickstarter due to high manufacturing costs.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Lord Frisk posted:

I'm feeling the same way.

The owner of my local shop got one copy in and I almost bought it for my birthday last week but my wife said she wouldn't play it with me. I'm thinking about going back and grabbing it for me and a friend. Is $120 a fair price for the game right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm feeling the same way.

The owner of my local shop got one copy in and I almost bought it for my birthday last week but my wife said she wouldn't play it with me. I'm thinking about going back and grabbing it for me and a friend. Is $120 a fair price for the game right now?

$120 is the MSRP, yes. Kickstarter backers and preorders could get it for $99 but $120 is the asking sticker price so idk man, if you think you might have friends who'd be down for it then I'd grab it ASAP before someone else snaps it up, otherwise you might be waiting a while.