Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Going with the theory that now that the boks have lost to Italy, Ireland, Argentina and England it can't possibly get any worst, SARU has renewed Coetzee for head Bok coach. Yes, it is true that the idiot who thinks the running game is a fairy tale and forces his players to play 2 or 3 different contradictory styles at once on the field is told he did an outstanding job and to keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

James O'Connor, who got arrested for cocaine possession with intent to use in Paris over the weekend, was about to go into negotiations with Toulon for a new deal because his current contract was about due. Hahaha, whoops!

I think he was planning on trying to get back into one of the ARU teams in Superugby in the hopes of restarting his Wallabies career.

Whoops, guess not.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Schlesische posted:

I think he was planning on trying to get back into one of the ARU teams in Superugby in the hopes of restarting his Wallabies career.

Whoops, guess not.

Hopefully that means the end of his annual empty platitudes about how he's matured etc.

Also apparently his accomplice Ali Williams stands to lose his working visa in France, what a pair of fuckwits...

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Did Ali Williams do some commentary for the BBC or am I imagining it? I know they had an ex All Black lock for a while

Also seriously Dan Biggar should be dropped for that kick stuff.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

bigfoot again posted:

Did Ali Williams do some commentary for the BBC or am I imagining it? I know they had an ex All Black lock for a while

Also seriously Dan Biggar should be dropped for that kick stuff.

Sam Davies has been playing better this tournament anyway so yeah...book it!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Hopefully that means the end of his annual empty platitudes about how he's matured etc.

We both know there's no way that's happening until he's retired.
In about 18 months we're gonna start getting stories about how being caught with drugs in Paris was rock bottom, and how he's going to surge to the top. Might even be on Australian Story.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

CyberPingu posted:

Sam Davies has been playing better this tournament anyway so yeah...book it!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, no, this is Rob Howley's Wales. We'll still end up having to watch Gareth Anscombe somehow.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tyma posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, no, this is Rob Howley's Wales. We'll still end up having to watch Gareth Anscombe somehow.

Was the laughing for me having hope of Sam Davies playing or was it mocking me for thinking he's doing better than Biggar is?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

CyberPingu posted:

Was the laughing for me having hope of Sam Davies playing or was it mocking me for thinking he's doing better than Biggar is?

Assuming Rob Howley would ever pick the obvious in-form player, over someone who has signed a Central Contract and 'paid their dues' to the Wales setup.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ah...I forget that logic has no place in Welsh rugby sometimes

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Neither does winning. :smug:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Neither does winning. :smug:

As soon as we get Greig Laidlaw to kiss Rhys Priestland for a photo op, you're going to have the greatest avatar of all time :neckbeard:

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Wow O'Connor is only 26. He has so many years of being a toxic dickhead ahead of him.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Should we start a dead pool I wonder?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Wales have just released Sam Davies back to The Ospreys squad, so there goes any crazy ideas anyone might have about accountability.

julian assflange posted:

Should we start a dead pool I wonder?

Oh oh! Me first!

1. Colin Meads
2. Eddie Butler
3. George North

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was talking about James O'Connor but those are good picks

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
The Toulon owner came out and said there's a huge cocaine problem in French rugby, maybe we should start a coke bust pool too?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I forgot the details but an ex-player released a book in 2014 where he said the same things. Apparently it helps with recovery time after games.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Mister Chief posted:

I forgot the details but an ex-player released a book in 2014 where he said the same things. Apparently it helps with recovery time after games.

It can't be good to mix cocaine with all the other drugs they're given.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

The real reason is because you can go out and get loving shitfaced drunk and have a couple of lines and not have a hangover. Also it's loving fun and people should just admit that occasionally.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Bloody Hurricanes looking ominously good. Not even the rebels can make a team look this good without there being something there.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Sopoaga just lost that for the Highlanders.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Bloody Hurricanes looking ominously good.

Imagine being a coach of another team and waking up to the reality that there is more than one Barrett.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Really good try there to the brumbies, the sharks player should have been off for the choke in the maul.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Hurricanes are cool and good.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Can someone gif Luatua's sending off for the Blues? It was so beautiful

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011
Quins winning away from home against a half decent team? I don't believe it

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Sopoaga just lost that for the Highlanders.

I wonder how much they missed Ben Smith out there. His influence as a backline general really is understated, and IMO, he was one of the MVPs of the All Blacks last year. Look at how often he pops up at second-five in the backline as a second playmaker.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

I wonder how much they missed Ben Smith out there. His influence as a backline general really is understated, and IMO, he was one of the MVPs of the All Blacks last year. Look at how often he pops up at second-five in the backline as a second playmaker.

No. I mean he literally just lost it for them by taking a drop goal from around half way with 3 minutes to go, letting the Crusaders score again. (But I get your point. He's incredible and the team suffers due to his absence).

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Billy V might be back for the Scotland game, which leaves me less confident about Scotland's chances. He was pretty much the deciding factor last year when Scotland had trouble dealing with his ball carrying.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I introduced my Brazilian brother in law to rugby last night. He sat down with me while I watched Canada be upset by Brazil. There couldn't have been a better game to introduce him with, Brazil scored a 79th minute try to win.

The game could catch on down here, but they need some really good commentary and possibly some on screen graphics to explain the rules. I think the reason NFL spreads so easily is it has ages between the action for the commentary to explain what just happened and what may happen next. With rugby if there's a penalty or it goes to touch and they go quick the casual viewer has no idea what made the game stop.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Stitecin posted:

I introduced my Brazilian brother in law to rugby last night. He sat down with me while I watched Canada be upset by Brazil. There couldn't have been a better game to introduce him with, Brazil scored a 79th minute try to win.

The game could catch on down here, but they need some really good commentary and possibly some on screen graphics to explain the rules. I think the reason NFL spreads so easily is it has ages between the action for the commentary to explain what just happened and what may happen next. With rugby if there's a penalty or it goes to touch and they go quick the casual viewer has no idea what made the game stop.

Show him the England Italy game, the commentators spent the whole game explaining exactly what a ruck is!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I played rugby at school and watch every Scotland game (I know) and I still don't understand what's going on half the time.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Chas McGill posted:

I played rugby at school and watch every Scotland game (I know) and I still don't understand what's going on half the time.

NOT RELEASING

NOT MOVING AWAY

simple

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if there's still video of that Wales vs Italy game where one of the commentators falls ill, gets replaced by Shane Williams, and we get to listen to 50 minutes of banter between Shane (who has never spoken on-air before) and Jonathan Davies (who is completely lost without a lead commentator) both lamenting that they have no idea how a scrum works, and why the opposing scrum half doesn't just pick up the ball off the ground.

Edit :

It was Italy vs Wales 2013

Tyma fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 7, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Look I'll forgive the badmouthing Welsh legends bullshit but don't you loving dare tell me that anyone knows how a scrum works

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

lenoon posted:

Look I'll forgive the badmouthing Welsh legends bullshit but don't you loving dare tell me that anyone knows how a scrum works

It's a closely guarded secret handed down from prop to prop since time immemorial.

As yet, the front row union has not deigned to share the mysteries with the referees.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Tyma posted:

I wonder if there's still video of that Wales vs Italy game where one of the commentators falls ill, gets replaced by Shane Williams, and we get to listen to 50 minutes of banter between Shane (who has never spoken on-air before) and Jonathan Davies (who is completely lost without a lead commentator) both lamenting that they have no idea how a scrum works, and why the opposing scrum half doesn't just pick up the ball off the ground.

Edit :

It was Italy vs Wales 2013

I think it was Andrew Cotter, who had to be sick while on air. Poor sod.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I was at that game and it was bad enough seeing it once, but god forgive me now I want to find a video and listen to Shane Williams being dull.

In other news, Wales have decided that the best way to prove that they're not stuck in a rut with an underperforming old guard is by not changing the team at all for the game against Ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

fallingdownjoe posted:

In other news, Wales have decided that the best way to prove that they're not stuck in a rut with an underperforming old guard is by not changing the team at all for the game against Ireland.

To ensure it goes well this time, viewers can text into S4C, to decide whether Dan Biggar kicks for touch, or takes the 3 points.