Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Go-Onger : Humans team up with sentient toy cars from another dimension to combat pollution monsters. Not without its charm, but outside of one amazing arc that satirizes the entire franchise in a way that could honestly be described as mean-spirited, this is as forgettable as they come.

I actually don't remember why Hiramechimedes arc was a satrization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The best thing about Dairanger is that the cast are still friends and 20 years later they got together and they're all in great shape still and they can still do the fancy roll call/morph from memory

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

RealFoxy posted:

The best thing about Dairanger is that the cast are still friends and 20 years later they got together and they're all in great shape still and they can still do the fancy roll call/morph from memory

you can't say this without providing evidence

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Every link to the video is broken but I also found out they get together once every year. Here's 2016 :)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Go-Onger is still my favorite Sentai series but I will admit the bad guys are a lot more fun than the Go-Ongers themselves. Outside of Gunpei, who starts off the series acting like he's going to be the serious hardass of the group, but turns into the goofiest motherfucker of them all.

Go-Onger's biggest problem is I'm pretty sure TVN subs are the only way to watch it at the moment.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

I actually don't remember why Hiramechimedes arc was a satrization.
Hiramechimedes is a sensitive intellectual whose sole motivation is loyalty to the only person who ever made him feel appreciated. While he makes many brilliant plans to eliminate those who oppose his friend, they are constantly foiled at the last moment by events completely out of his control, something his friend, despite his callousness in many other areas, fully recognizes. Yet Hiramechimedes cannot forgive himself his failures, and so, realizing that his intellect means nothing against opponents who can essentially create miracles through force of will and fate, sacrifices his intelligence to become a being of raw unstoppable power. Yet that desperate ploy ends in his destruction, not because of any tactics or strategy employed by his opponents. but because of the inherent bias the universe has against him. In a final insult, he comes back from the dead through sheer force of will, seemingly having triumphed over this patently unfair universe and finally, finally making it work in his favor. He nearly succeeds in avenging himself, before being vanquished by nonsense folklore. His enemies cheer and go home. The opening of the next episode is his friend mourning in solitude.
Much like Frank Grimes, the only sin he commits is being opposed to the protagonists of the world that he is in.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 28, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Bandora is already my favorite villain ever because she took the effort to put a nice tasteless neon sign above the entrance to her lair and goes around threatening people on a flying old-style bicycle (Oz reference?) I like villains who have fun being villains.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

Bandora is already my favorite villain ever because she took the effort to put a nice tasteless neon sign above the entrance to her lair and goes around threatening people on a flying old-style bicycle (Oz reference?) I like villains who have fun being villains.

Everything about Bandora is basically an Oz reference in a weird way. Goldar is her flying monkey

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Go-Onger's biggest problem is I'm pretty sure TVN subs are the only way to watch it at the moment.

Actually, Go-Anon redid the series a couple years back! I think it's a scrub and not a complete retranslation, but from what I've seen of it it's preeetty good.

http://go-onanon.blogspot.com/2012/02/go-onger-mega-torrent.html

Not sure how well seeded that torrent is anymore, though.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Bandora spells her name wrong? I want one of the Rangers to point that out when they get to 'Bandra's Palace'.

Also it's got to be disorienting being a Zyuranger. You're fighting in some misty garden and then some big guy tears open reality and pulls you out into a rocky gorge. It'd be a nice 4th wall joke if one of the Rangers stopped in the middle of a fight to shout: "Wait where the hell even are we??"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is actually a key part of how the powers in Akibaranger work!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
One of my favorite parts of watching Power Rangers is noticing when they change from fighting in a Japanese Plaza to a Somewhat Similar Plaza In New Zealand :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I prefer the all-encompassing park in Angel Grove.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

One of my favorite parts of watching Power Rangers is noticing when they change from fighting in a Japanese Plaza to a Somewhat Similar Plaza In New Zealand :3:

I liked the part in Mystic Force where a cockatrice monster turned only the inhabitants of Little Japan into Stone.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I always like when you can tell which scenes were shot/reshot for Power Rangers because the costumes are messed up/different. Like, especially in the old Mighty Morphin episodes, going into season 2 and 3. You could tell when the Ranger suits were shot by Saban because they were like lovely knockoffs with big white buckles on the helmets and non-shiny fabric. And the Green Ranger's armor thing was clearly just made of quilted fabric or something instead of rubber or whatever the Japanese prop was made of.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The correct way to get into Sentai is to start with Go-Busters and then despair as everything that comes afterwards is a bitter disappointment by comparison. Kyoryuger and ToQGer are still great though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, Go-Busters was really really good.

Enter is such a great villain.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
How come the Zyurangers aren't telling me that bullying is wrong and martial arts should only be used for peace at the end of each episode?

Also it's weird adjusting to Yellow being a guy.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

And they're all Japanese too! WTF

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

100 degrees Calcium posted:

And they're all Japanese too! WTF

Well I mean the witch lady always was so

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Well I mean the witch lady always was so

It may be that time has dulled my memory, but after watching Zyuranger I definitely feel like Bandora is the one element of all localized Sentai shows that was changed the least in the transition. And I don't just mean being Japanese haha

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Was Zed even a thing in Sentai before ToQGer?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Was Zed even a thing in Sentai before ToQGer?

no, Zord Ledd and the Command Center were Power Ranger Original elements.
I think ToQger's Zed name was just a coincidence. After Go-Busters I don't think they'll do any Power Ranger references.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

God, I forgot about the Command Center. That was bad rear end.

I should watch some Power Rangers. What are they adapting these days?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Wait so once Zed shows up all the villain scenes are original for PR? Or did they still splice in Bandora stuff?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

Wait so once Zed shows up all the villain scenes are original for PR? Or did they still splice in Bandora stuff?

Oh you didn't know?

Lord Zedd, and all scenes with him and everything, is totally original footage. Most of the footage in season 2 is original footage- as is the majority of season 3. They remade Bandora's costume for American Rita and deaged her to explain why she looked different. Still dubbed her though!

You'd be surprised how much footage in Power Rangers is original over just being Sentai footage, even that early on. It's REALLY noticeable to start with, but hey. They even had an American Scorpina but just couldn't figure out what to do with her.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

no, Zord Ledd and the Command Center were Power Ranger Original elements.
I think ToQger's Zed name was just a coincidence. After Go-Busters I don't think they'll do any Power Ranger references.

I'll argue that Zed from ToQGer is a Power Rangers reference as it's by the same writer (Kobayashi) as Gobusters and he's supposed to marry someone named Grita.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I was wondering if Planet Clothos being the first planet featured in Kyuranger was a reference to that douchey little klansman keeping Burai prisoner in Zyuranger, but I guess Clothos is something out of greek mythology.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I was wondering if Planet Clothos being the first planet featured in Kyuranger was a reference to that douchey little klansman keeping Burai prisoner in Zyuranger, but I guess Clothos is something out of greek mythology.

Yeah, Clothos was one of the three Fates, if I recall correctly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

I'll argue that Zed from ToQGer is a Power Rangers reference as it's by the same writer (Kobayashi) as Gobusters and he's supposed to marry someone named Grita.

Well technically his official name is Z (Zetto) but it could still count as Sentai has made references to Power Rangers before (the word "zord" has been used in at least two shows, "It's Morphin Time" in Go-Busters, The Gokaigers using the wheels on the Go-Ongers gloves as weapons which is something only the RPM rangers did, and Akibaranger Season 2 had an entire episode devoted to the concept, I'm probably missing a few) and the fact that Zed(d) is just the British pronounciation of that letter.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 1, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, after so many seasons they need to take inspiration wherever they can find it

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Getsuya posted:

How come the Zyurangers aren't telling me that bullying is wrong and martial arts should only be used for peace at the end of each episode?

Also it's weird adjusting to Yellow being a guy.

Honestly the Zyurangers are only slightly less preachy than their America counterparts at times.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Getsuya posted:

Also it's weird adjusting to Yellow being a Boi.
FTFY.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

deadly_pudding posted:

I always like when you can tell which scenes were shot/reshot for Power Rangers because the costumes are messed up/different. Like, especially in the old Mighty Morphin episodes, going into season 2 and 3.

I liked In Space because the suits were in good shape, looked neat, and the mechs that got shipped over were limited. They had to make do with getting, say, silver's thing but not getting either of the primary megazords.

I should watch some Power Rangers. What are they adapting these days?

They are presently trying to produce a watchable show out of Nininger by shooting a crap-ton of original footage. Like, enough original footage to remind you of the days of Lost Galaxy where they just said gently caress it and basically made a new show.
I've only watched two episodes of it, but the best part was that the bad guy base is a flying airship that seems to be a 24/7/365 game show studio that operates like a mix of WWE Raw and Let's Make A Deal, where the goal is to defeat the rangers. The crowd is a CGI trick of a bunch of monster costumes, some of which go all the back to Zyuranger. There's a host emceeing it and introducing each week's challenger, though the real bad guy is the Nininger head villain who has been reformed into something similar to WWE's Triple H (in charge, calls himself the champion, bosses people around, acts too tough for this poo poo).

Given the aspect of "You! You there in the third row! Yes, you, you're our next contestant!" I kind of wonder if this season's final episodes isn't going to include a depressing note that most of the audience has been sent down and exploded.

Most of the human characters themselves are well-worn Angel Grove style tropes, right down to That Bullying rear end in a top hat And His Boot-Licking Toady. The only exception is Red, whose dad was KTFO by the Triple H wannabe when he was a kid, then he was adopted and raised doing menial labor on the flying monster gameshow ship until an escape opportunity appeared.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 1, 2017

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

They are presently trying to produce a watchable show out of Nininger by shooting a crap-ton of original footage. Like, enough original footage to remind you of the days of Lost Galaxy where they just said gently caress it and basically made a new show.
I've only watched two episodes of it, but the best part was that the bad guy base is a flying airship that seems to be a 24/7/365 game show studio that operates like a mix of WWE Raw and Let's Make A Deal, where the goal is to defeat the rangers. The crowd is a CGI trick of a bunch of monster costumes, some of which go all the back to Zyuranger. There's a host emceeing it and introducing each week's challenger, though the real bad guy is the Nininger head villain who has been reformed into something similar to WWE's Triple H (in charge, calls himself the champion, bosses people around, acts too tough for this poo poo).

Given the aspect of "You! You there in the third row! Yes, you, you're our next contestant!" I kind of wonder if this season's final episodes isn't going to include a depressing note that most of the audience has been sent down and exploded.

Most of the human characters themselves are well-worn Angel Grove style tropes, right down to That Bullying rear end in a top hat And His Boot-Licking Toady. The only exception is Red, whose dad was KTFO by the Triple H wannabe when he was a kid, then he was adopted and raised doing menial labor on the flying monster gameshow ship until an escape opportunity appeared.

:stare: That sounds amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
One of my favorite things about Zyuranger is how Witch Bandora and her Dora Monsters manage to be both more dangerous/frightening and also more ridiculous/petty when compared to their MMPR counterparts, probably helps that even their most absurd plots are treated completely seriously by both the Zyurangers and the population at large(the episode with the pig Dora Monster illustrates this best when compared between the two versions)

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hiramechimedes is a sensitive intellectual whose sole motivation is loyalty to the only person who ever made him feel appreciated. While he makes many brilliant plans to eliminate those who oppose his friend, they are constantly foiled at the last moment by events completely out of his control, something his friend, despite his callousness in many other areas, fully recognizes. Yet Hiramechimedes cannot forgive himself his failures, and so, realizing that his intellect means nothing against opponents who can essentially create miracles through force of will and fate, sacrifices his intelligence to become a being of raw unstoppable power. Yet that desperate ploy ends in his destruction, not because of any tactics or strategy employed by his opponents. but because of the inherent bias the universe has against him. In a final insult, he comes back from the dead through sheer force of will, seemingly having triumphed over this patently unfair universe and finally, finally making it work in his favor. He nearly succeeds in avenging himself, before being vanquished by nonsense folklore. His enemies cheer and go home. The opening of the next episode is his friend mourning in solitude.
Much like Frank Grimes, the only sin he commits is being opposed to the protagonists of the world that he is in.

But at least the ministers fish him out of the Sanzu River in the credits of Shinken VS. Go-On. I'd like to believe he's boozing it up with all three of them during their continued misadventures.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Well, it has Judd Lynn back after many years, and if you remember his old shows (in Space, Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed, Time Force) the guy sure likes to make all-new footage over dubbing/adapting sentai footage.

And the visuals of the baddie base are pretty neat.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 1, 2017

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
Kyuranger. I was OK with the pacing of the first two episodes, but episode 3 was a bit much and is starting to add up with the other two.

I'm not even that bothered by the Stinger intro, but Ronpo's was unnecessarily shorthanded in my opinion. I don't understand why he wasn't there since episode 1. It's not like they explained his absence in any way unless that's somehow a plot point later but I doubt it. He literally just shows up and says "I'm in charge, bitches." and then we get to see him not take it seriously the whole episode. If that's his character then I would have been fine with Raptor staying as the admin and also being a Kyuranger.
Is there a behind the scenes story that they forgot they wanted to have a mascot leader till they shot episodes 1 and 2?

Just my hot take after seeing him on screen for five minutes, but you know first impressions...

Once I got into the source material in the late 90s I generally became less of a fan of the Power Rangers stuff but that concept is so bizarre it does seem like it would be a fun take on it, especially from the source series that is considered lackluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My only issue with Ninja Steel is that the characters, despite having better setups, seem flatter than the cast of Dino Charge so far, but I'm hoping that's just early episode stuff.

When they lean into the gameshow stuff the show really shines. Like after the first megazord fight, the host that introduces the monsters tells the final villain how the audience loved that poo poo and the ratings are off the roof, and the bad dude is like "Of course they loved it! The zords are amazing! But I want those rangers destroyed!" and such, and there's just such a fun contrast with how frustrating it is to lose every week but also how much ratings and money they're getting off of it.

I also love how much they have to wrestle with the sentai footage. Last week's episode was about the yellow ranger being too afraid of driving to learn how to, yadda yadda yadda he makes the ranger bikes of the season to save his friends and girlfriend from a spider monster... and then Red gets the new elephant zord upgrade and finishes the monster himself.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread