Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

idgaf about u posted:

LURK MORE human being

This is the Dare I miss. I still think we should make a subforum just for him and let him run it. The things that could take place there. Like watching an out of control semi truck speeding towards a nitroglycerin plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is the Dare I miss. I still think we should make a subforum just for him and let him run it. The things that could take place there. Like watching an out of control semi truck speeding towards a nitroglycerin plant.

Encouraging the mentally ill is what landed Caro in Syria.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
that's why you do it. imagine the stories the crazy person will generate for us to enjoy. pretend he is a video game character.

and Caro did survive in the end after all.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Oh cool Dares back to prop up SA for the next financial year

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

alpaca diseases posted:

Oh cool Dares back to prop up SA for the next financial year

Speaking of that, I wonder how much he's "donated" to SA since he registered his first account.

Unless he's using IP anonymizers, it would be easy enough to keep him from accessing SA at all, but he's kicking in to much money for the cause, SA management has no reason to.

As the saying goes, "Don't kill the goon that lays the golden eggs."

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I read somewhere on here he does chargebacks so not really.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah Dare is in fact a drain on the economy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hi guys, I'm back :) Thanks again to H.H for filling in for me!

quote:

I'm another depressed goon. I spent the last two years going through a super lovely, drama-filled break up and divorce and every day is a struggle to get out of bed and go to work. The only reason I go to work is because I have a mountain of debt and am living paycheck to paycheck desperately trying to build up some savings and get ahead of my credit card repayments. I should probably look for another, better-paying job but the idea of going through the process of applying for jobs and dealing with recruiters, selling myself and trying to convince people I could do whatever lovely job they're offering makes me want to die. Most days at work I just browse the forums or stare into space. Sometimes I have the energy to actually get work done but not often.

By the time I get home from work each day I'm so loving tired and numb that I just want to go to bed. I try to walk my dog and play with him but some days I just can't and I feel bad when I can tell he's bored. It's not his fault I have a broken brain and can't always give him enough attention. Given that I can barely look after myself and my dog the idea of applying for jobs or going on dating websites or anything is so daunting and overwhelming. I literally can't even.

I'm so loving lonely and desperate for physical attention. At night I lie in bed and look at pictures of cute animals on my phone and cry myself to sleep because I'm so loving lonely. If I have the money to spare I'll go to a brothel or massage parlour just so I can spend half an hour connecting with another human being and enjoy some physical intimacy. Unfortunately I've been so broke since Christmas I haven't even been able to do that, lol. I go on dates sometimes but I'm in my thirties and it's hard. I know eventually I'll meet someone that I connect with but I really wish it could happen now. I know if I had someone to be close to it would give me the kick to tackle the other obstacles in my life. And yes, I know all the advice like 'love yourself before you love someone else' and whatever and yes, I'm in therapy and taking anti-depressants but I've also realised that it's just part of my personality. I need someone to love in order to be happy. To most people it sounds dumb and bad but it's just who I am.

So none of that is particularly interesting or unique. I know the way to solve my problems, I just need to get out of my own dumb, broken head and take charge. Stop being a sad goon and get on with life. It's easier said than done at this point. I guess the confession angle of all of this is that none of my family or friends know I am in this situation. I never talk about my mental health and when people ask me to hang out I will strap on a happy face and go and do whatever thing and I might even have fun but as soon as I get home I feel even worse because now I'm alone again while my friends have their partners and families. Nobody even knows about my hosed finances; I live in a nice house, drive a new-ish car provided by my employer and dress well. I just also happen to live off rice and beans and steal toilet paper from the office so I don't have to buy any. I wish I could talk to someone about all this stuff but I feel like I'd just be whining and everyone I know has their own stuff going on so why should I dump my nonsense on them (I also know that this is not true and my friends would be fully supportive of me but I still don't want to tell them the truth about my situation).

The obvious next step is to start opening up to people. You seem to be well aware of this but don't wanna go through with it. I really, honestly think it'd make you feel better. Get some beers with a couple close friends and lay your poo poo on them, or talk to a relative about it if you want to start smaller.

quote:

Uli confessor from earlier here. For some incredible fate, I had to drive out on a work related assignment and it gave me the opportunity to visit the hometown of the pizza virgin. Well it was not exactly on the way, it was actually quite a detour because he lives in the middle of nowhere, but still. I just needed to go, I was drawn to him like ants to a three-day old floor pizza. I drove by the walmart he worked in and as I was about to turn into the parking space, but then I relented. I was afraid seeing this ocd ginger face to face would send me into a flying rage and I didn't want to explain to the local police why I suddenly violently attacked a retarded walmart cashier without provocation. I did keep driving by for several passes with this on my mind until I left because I didn't want anyone to notice and/or become suspicious.

I was inspired by the monkey hate confessor. Maybe it's the same thing for me? Uli is a lesser lifeform after all.

I fantasize about going back with some rope and duct tape, but that needs some more planning. I'm giggling like a madman writing this, I can't cross that line, can I? I wonder if I can.

y'know who would be even more interested in your obsession with internet meme people than the police? A therapist

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
i know that its probably not real, but please dont do that to uli, hes a national treasure. buy his book instead and maybe spend once a week reading it to a person in an armchair

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I can't beat Ioquacius' reply to you, depressed goon, but pooping at work is good and natural. May as well get paid to poo poo :waycool:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
downside: Uli might end up being murdered

upside: he might lose his virginity beforehand

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The first step to getting away with murder is definitely tell a lot of people about it before you do it.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Depression goon: get therapy or go to your GP and get some antidepressants to get you going. Then start running with your dog. Even if it's slow, your dog will love it, he won't be bored and you'll end up with a hobby to talk to people about. If he likes other dogs, start running to the dog park at around the same time every day. Meet people and dogs.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Depressed goon is already on anti-depressants.

From one depressed goon to another, what helped me a lot was realizing that even though other people seem happy and have their poo poo together, very few of them actually do.

Scratch a seemingly well-adjusted fellow worker or acquaintance and you'll invariable find somebody who's got terrible problems they're hiding as well - drug problems, dead/dying/insane family members, closeted sexuality, anxiety/panic disorders, financial trouble much worse than yourown, issues with ex's, kids, etc - everybody's all hosed up.

Not that this insight helps you be less lonely, but you don't have to wallow in misery thinking that you're alone and miserable while everyone else isn't.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Depressed goon might want to consider going on disability. If you are severely depressed like you make it sound, ask your doctor to prescribe some medical leave. Take some time off and work on yourself. Work out, spend time with your dog, see friends, and get better. And you will be paid while you're out.

As for dating, you know that will be a disaster. The ups and downs of the dating world, the effort to maintain a relationship, and the money aspect are going to be tough right now. It's hard going without that sort of contact for a long time, but it doesn't fix your problems, it just helps you ignore them. There's no good solution for this, it will just take time and effort before you are ready. More motivation to pull yourself out of this pit.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Depressed goon, start running with your dog like the previous poster suggested. Get an app that gives structure to it, like couch to 5k or couch to 10k and run every other day. If you accomplish nothing else during a week, at least you'll have accomplished some progress on your running app and you can start to try and feel good about it.

As for dates, honestly, you don't sound like you're in the right frame of mind for it, so wait a bit with those maybe.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
30s also isn't old for dating, especially as a man you have it easier. Yes there are people around who are in your age and have been married for ten years at this point, but don't think many of them feel less lonely than you do. Lots of women in their 20s will also be more interested in you than in their age peers. Women in their 30s and 40s even more so. What actually will make it hard is the depression and what that brings to the table, it sends most people run screaming for the hills, as harsh as that sounds but that's the way it is. You should probably first try making friends. I know that's really not what you want, but if you have some people you can regularly or semi-regularly talk to without them getting paid for like a therapist, that will already begin to make your life easier in a subtle way and also give you some validation that people actually want to spend time with you. The jump to build a genuine romantic connection will be smaller. Also try meeting women outside of dating settings, or things like dating websites. I personally consider these some sort of unproductive hell that crush souls. All women I have ever been with I met completely randomly and all time I ever spend on such dating ventures always turned out to be a complete waste.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If you have credit card debt your first priority should be on knocking that poo poo out. Build up a small rainy day fund for emergencies and then dump everything extra toward whatever has the highest interest rate. You'll never get out from under it if you're just making the minimum payments (which is the situation they want). An amazing amount of stress vanishes the day you make that final payment.

Also some good advice was already posted to depressed goon above. I'll reiterate:

Jog with your good pupper, even if it's only around the block to start. It'll enrich your dog's life, make you both healthier, and exercise = free endorphins. Everybody wins. Plus, you might meet other dog owners and get a chance to socialize, which is also good for you. You can't lose.

Don't do the online dating thing just yet, or indeed at all.

Your future is out there, and it's up to you to reach out and grab it. Join a club. Do volunteer work. Learn horticulture. Go birdwatching. Take up photography. Ever tried carpentry? The possibilities are endless, and nearly all of them have one thing in common--you get to meet new people.

Do it not just for yourself, but for doggo, too. Stand tall, dust off, and get out there and go for it, no matter how lovely you feel. We're rooting for you.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Depression goon:

lol your wife left you. why did your wife leave you, did she find another, better man?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Nooner posted:

Depression goon:

lol your wife left you. why did your wife leave you, did she find another, better man?

Are you boning that guy's wife?? DOn;'t gloat nooner!!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

JnnyThndrs posted:

Scratch a seemingly well-adjusted fellow worker or acquaintance and you'll invariable find somebody who's got terrible problems they're hiding as well - drug problems, dead/dying/insane family members, closeted sexuality, anxiety/panic disorders, financial trouble much worse than yourown, issues with ex's, kids, etc - everybody's all hosed up.
Do you honestly believe this?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Leon Einstein posted:

He meant to say everybody except you, Leon Einstein.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Recently discovered my family is not what I thought it was.

I grew up with a single mom who had her first kid at 19. Her first husband passed away years before I was born. My mom eventually met another guy and at age 34 had me. This guy turned out to be a real piece of poo poo and ran off after I was born, and I never knew him. He did pay the court mandated child support but never showed up for any major life events and was non-existant in my mind. I was effectively raised by my mom and my teenage sister.

However I just found out from my "sister" that was all a lie made up for her benefit. The woman I believed to be my mom is actually my grandmother. The woman I believed to be my sister is really my mother. I was an unexpected teen pregnancy and my father was barely out of high school when he impregnated my mom, who was 14 at the time.

To ensure my mother finished high school and avoided a lot of ridicule, my grandmother pulled her from school during the last 6 months of pregnancy and home schooled her. After I was born, my grandmother adopted me and effectively raised me so my mother could have a "normal" life.

I do not know how to react to this at all. I am very understanding of what they did, but I still kind of hate them for lying to me for so long. I feel as though my entire world view has been shattered. I'm a grown man now and not super close to my family any more and think this might just lead to me cutting them out completely.

This isn't a completely unheard-of move, actually -- the same deal happened to Eric Clapton. So don't get too down about your hosed-up family situation, maybe some day you too can become a legendary blues guitarist and turn shockingly racist in your old age :)

Seriously though that sounds like a lot to deal with but please don't cut out your family over this, it was a tough call but probably the right one for everyone involved

quote:

I live in Pennsylvania and have long been a fan of the vampire fiction, and especially the Castlevania video game series.

A little while back I won a pretty significant amount of money in the lottery. I am single and have no kids, so I decided to spend the money on myself.

In September 2017, I will be opening "Dracula's Curse" - a haunted house attraction which is heavily inspired by the Castlevania games. I've been planning this quite a bit and have about 30 actors contracted to portray the various monsters, and have spent close to 10 million dollars making the attraction as fun and visually appealing as possible. There is a haunted clock tower where you ascend stairs before ziplining to safety. There's a garden filled with monstrous man eating plants. There's a haunted hayride where you're attacked by the Grim Reaper on horseback. The big attraction is of course the haunted castle, where I replicated the design of the games as best I can to create a gothic horror experience that everyone can enjoy.

I realize completely that this may flop. If so, that's fine, I had the time of my life designing it, worker with the builders and actors, and testing it out myself. I didn't have that lotto money before this castle, so who cares?

This is anonymous because not even my family knows about this. I never told my parents I won the lottery and, as far as they know, I'm still going to work at the office every day. Nah, I'm just running a loving awesome haunted house. This is also posted to this thread because I'm depressed reading all the hosed up confessions and want to lighten things up for others.

No Google hits for this attraction just yet. I guess it is still early.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

loquacius posted:

No Google hits for this attraction just yet. I guess it is still early.

Oh god, please tell me he or she paid the taxes on those winnings :ohdear:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
i really really want to be the first one to poo poo my pants there

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Horror attractions like that can work but with only one location there's no way you will even come close to breaking even let alone making a profit.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
enjoy you're lawsuit

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
Castlevania goon, attach an amphitheater, a bar & grill and a club to the back of it. Host concerts and try and get a year-round customer base going.

edit: keep the same theme throughout

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

loquacius posted:

Re: Goon whose family wasn't what he thought it was.

This isn't a completely unheard-of move, actually -- the same deal happened to Eric Clapton.

Same thing happened to Ted Bundy too. He was quite successful in his life at what he chose to do as well – at least for most of it.

Buck up, be a world famous guitarist or a world famous serial killer. It's your choice!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Some goon a while back was talking about doing some research that involved looking at lots of old census records. And sure enough, every time a household had a mom over 40 with an infant, there just happened to be a teenage daughter in the house.

Life's hard and people do the best they can. Maybe they could have come clean earlier, but it's the sort of thing there's never really a right time for.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Oh god, please tell me he or she paid the taxes on those winnings :ohdear:

Lottery winners don't have a choice. Taxes are taken out before the winner sees a penny of the winnings.

Now, if they are to invest in or create a successful business, they'd have to pay taxes on the profits. Somehow I don't think Castlevania goon is going to have that problem. :v:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
The woman that raised you is your mom. The girl that gave birth to you is your sister, she was basically a child when you were born. Stop being an ungrateful rear end in a top hat for the sacrifices your mom made for you. They lied to you so both of you could have a normal life. You should thank them both.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

This is also posted to this thread because I'm depressed reading all the hosed up confessions and want to lighten things up for others.

Thanks. It always cheers me up to hear about lotto winners losing all of their money in stupid ways.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Depressed goon should not go to therapy.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
That boy needs therapy.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Police Automaton posted:

That boy needs therapy.

It's purely psychosomatic!

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

The Management posted:

The woman that raised you is your mom. The girl that gave birth to you is your sister, she was basically a child when you were born. Stop being an ungrateful rear end in a top hat for the sacrifices your mom made for you. They lied to you so both of you could have a normal life. You should thank them both.

That's really easy to say but lo freaking l if you are so detached emotionally that you could not see some emotions coming from that discovery.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I don't have a sister, but I imagine finding out that your sibling gave birth to you would be pretty drat shocking. Hope the three of them work it out.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Leon Einstein posted:

No, I just make random poo poo up and post it for no reason except to irritate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Castlevania goon, attach an amphitheater, a bar & grill and a club to the back of it. Host concerts and try and get a year-round customer base going.

edit: keep the same theme throughout