Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Whoa I didn't realize Dario Saric was averaging 21/10 over his last 5 games

Tae posted:

I've heard of revisionist history, but people rewriting how Porzingis was higher on every single GM's draft board than Okafor is confusing everytime it's brought up.

Pretty much. This ol' meme is a time capsule that makes almost no sense in retrospect for several reasons, RIP Flip:
https://streamable.com/rf3i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Doltos posted:

Rose isn't some terrible basketball player. He still can get to the rim and hit open shots. He's just having trouble finishing because he obviously isn't as athletic anymore and he also doesn't pass enough or kick out enough on his drives.
Yeah but those are big issues and they're not going to get any better. It makes him a run of the mill bad player.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

Rose isn't some terrible basketball player. He still can get to the rim and hit open shots. He's just having trouble finishing because he obviously isn't as athletic anymore and he also doesn't pass enough or kick out enough on his drives.

I dunno BPM, VORP, WS/48 and my personal eye test all say he is a terrible player. PER says he's a very slightly above average player.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

EvanTH posted:

I dunno BPM, VORP, WS/48 and my personal eye test all say he is a terrible player. PER says he's a very slightly above average player.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/RPM/position/1

I hate RPM but lol

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvanTH posted:

He's courtside almost every game! He watches a lot of basketball

He watches the Knicks home games, yeah. I'm not convinced he's keeping up much with the rest of the league. Obviously this is pure idiotic conspiracy theory speculation on my part and GM's aren't huge tape-watchers in general, but Phil moreso than the others seems perfectly happy to gently caress off to Montana and enjoy his old age than keep his pulse on what's happening in the rest of the league. It matches up with his personnel moves and dumb tweets, anyways.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Rose also didn't bother showing up to a game this year.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Basically the next month the Raptors have to prove they are not fakers.

My alcohol intake will increase during this time too.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/twithersAP/status/836355483640479746

hmm, that number

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lolllll

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I'd be careful, usually after someone mocks 3-1 it happens to them.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Basically the next month the Raptors have to prove they are not fakers.

My alcohol intake will increase during this time too.

I think Cojo will end the season much better, he really is a good/smart player and starter minutes will do him good.

Ibaka and Tucker look great but the sample size is too small to say with any certainty.

Hopefully we don't get Caseyd too much and the team performs well

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

I can appreciate that choice, Deron.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

EvanTH posted:

He's courtside almost every game! He watches a lot of basketball

shows wat u know

EvanTH posted:

Whoa I didn't realize Dario Saric was averaging 21/10 over his last 5 games

Pretty much. This ol' meme is a time capsule that makes almost no sense in retrospect for several reasons, RIP Flip:
https://streamable.com/rf3i

i laughed at both of these.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
if you have any other memes I missed please post them so that I can laugh at stale rear end memes

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm being 100% serious too.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

that is a weak rear end foul

You should have seen the grab n dive 30 seconds prior that Boogie used to foul out Roberson. Karma.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

Was Jrue's astounding lack of effort on Westbrook's Boogie Fouls Out dunk (Dunk Of The Year right now) due to a lack of practiced scheme?
https://streamable.com/lmcu1

No, but they were on a back-to-back and he's been playing in a stupor since the trade.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/DeanO_Lytics/status/836223337370169344

poo poo, what were the other 11% like?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Very bad.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

That's what I'm saying!! Everyone keeps saying the team needs time to gel but Gentry really hasn't done a single drat thing besides clear out iso's to Davis and Cousins. You'd think a NBA quality coach would call a cut or a hand off once in a while.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doltos posted:

That's what I'm saying!! Everyone keeps saying the team needs time to gel but Gentry really hasn't done a single drat thing besides clear out iso's to Davis and Cousins. You'd think a NBA quality coach would call a cut or a hand off once in a while.

They do hand offs constantly in their offense. Many possessions have three of them in a row as part of a weave where some guys also dive at the bucket at the same time.

The usage for other players is low because they are hesitating and then get covered or dump it to the bigs if there is any doubt (and there's a lot right now).

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Doltos posted:

Have you ever watched a raptors game?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kibner posted:

They do hand offs constantly in their offense. Many possessions have three of them in a row as part of a weave where some guys also dive at the bucket at the same time.

The usage for other players is low because they are hesitating and then get covered or dump it to the bigs if there is any doubt (and there's a lot right now).

That's the type of hand offs I'm talking about, not the perimeter rotations they do before shuttling it into Cousins or Davis. There is zero imagination in that offense and you can't just contribute it to the Cousins trade. They've had all season to come up with off the ball rotations surrounding Davis and they haven't done it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doltos posted:

That's the type of hand offs I'm talking about, not the perimeter rotations they do before shuttling it into Cousins or Davis. There is zero imagination in that offense and you can't just contribute it to the Cousins trade. They've had all season to come up with off the ball rotations surrounding Davis and they haven't done it.

You just said they didn't do handoffs, though? I'm confused.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I remember there were a few games in the Mike Brown era where Kobe/Bynum/Pau had like 80% of the possessions. Like it's funny because that's what fans always demanded but in reality it just felt very disjointed and was bad basketball (and also showed where they were missing Fisher and Odom because they were both the "hey let's get some other people involved" guys).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Doltos posted:

Hey, NBA isn't 2k, the coach can't just press a button on a controller and have the players do something.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
There are also a decent amount of cuts to the rim, but :lol: if you expect Hill to catch the ball and smoothing transition into a shot or Moore to finish over the top of anyone. Cunningham is the best cutter (non Davis-division) the team has and he gets a couple attempts per game with them.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

leftist heap posted:

I'm being 100% serious too.

all I have is this

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
While I'm ranting, the current biggest problem, offensively, with the team after the trade is the obscene amount of turnovers followed by people shooting half their normal shooting percentage on uncontested shots. They are generating lots of open looks, but have been unable to convert at anything approaching an acceptable level.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NBA analysts give me some diagnostics on how the rose-noah pairing is faring this season...seriously, how's it goink?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

I believe the data from those shot charts are manually imputed by courtside observers, the quality of whom vary wildly.

This post just made me do a later-that-day double-take. You'd think they'd use all their special cameras to record that sorta thing by now.

Just minding my business and then I'm all wait a second that post I read hours ago is that true??

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 28, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doltos posted:

Kibner posted:

While I'm ranting, the current biggest problem, offensively, with the team after the trade is the obscene amount of turnovers followed by people shooting half their normal shooting percentage on uncontested shots. They are generating lots of open looks, but have been unable to convert at anything approaching an acceptable level.

Both these things are a symptom of a team that will need time. I think the thought they were going to rip off a 17-10 run or whatever was unrealistic. It's really, really hard to install a new NBA offense in late Feb/March

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

R.D. Mangles posted:

NBA analysts give me some diagnostics on how the rose-noah pairing is faring this season...seriously, how's it goink?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/836395601528905728

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Players Only seems to be an exercise in showing why professional broadcasters are important

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah I thought I would like it but it's almost unwatchable.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I still can't believe the Raptors beat the Knicks.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/AnnaHorford/status/836411769241366528

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Dwayne Casey is a true pioneer, utilizing the first small ball line up with no shooters. Today he played Wright-Van Vleet-Carroll-Powel-Ibaka.

(ok so Ibaka is a pretty good shooter but still)

• Locked thread