Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Why are there so many raiders in this match that you say is all about skillz

Low level, level 0 gear, managed to best people 7 times despite them having higher gear than me (me and that conqueror fought once but he ran from the fight and we didn't fight against each other the rest of the game cause he hung around B a lot). Never said it's all about skillz, I'm saying you can still have fun and help your team win a game even if you have poo poo items, whilst also saying that prestige level / gear level isn't indicative of skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Loopoo posted:

Low level, level 0 gear, managed to best people 7 times despite them having higher gear than me (me and that conqueror fought once but he ran from the fight and we didn't fight against each other the rest of the game cause he hung around B a lot). Never said it's all about skillz, I'm saying you can still have fun and help your team win a game even if you have poo poo items, whilst also saying that prestige level / gear level isn't indicative of skill.

Yeah, if you're a loving nobushi fighting some of the slowest classes in the drat game

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Xeremides posted:

He isn't arguing that it's unwinnable. He's saying it skews the balance in favor of the person with better gear.

I feel like everyone is arguing past each other for the sake of continuing the argument.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Guy you're kind of dumb so I'll lay it out in really simple terms:

If two equally skilled players are fighting, the one that has gear that makes them get Revenge off of two or three blocks is gonna win.

I don't think so, Tim.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They having another 1v1 tourny right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/dmbrandon

I only saw one match so far and it was terrible boring trash. Conq vs Warlord and it was literally four rounds of shield bash/headbutt spam with no variation.. Hopefully the next one is better.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
Gear doesn't mean poo poo unless it's a class with full revenge gain gear that gets hit twice then revenges and locks you in an infinite shove/headbutt/shieldbash/whatever chain until you die

Seriously gently caress off with your anecdotal "I WON AGAINST SUPERIOR GEAR SO GEAR IS FINE". Even if you can win around it it's still anti-fun as gently caress for people who want a somewhat competitive environment. Even though it might fracture the playerbase having the ability to mark it as a preferred game mode in 4v4s would be great. Yeah you might still fall into a gear active 4v4 but that's why there's no leaver penalty so :shrug:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, if you're a loving nobushi fighting some of the slowest classes in the drat game

B-but their gear levels, their prestige levels, their revenge spam!!

My Kensei game, he's a fat fucker. How come I did well against Orochi and PK? The two most annoying classes in the game? You can still have fun and win games in 4v4 even if the other team has much better gear and levels.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

fadam posted:

I don't think so, Tim.

You just said it's impossible to have two players of equal skill fight each other, so if you're going to try to use that example to defeat his claim, you also have to admit that in his scenario, the guy with better gear wins because he's fighting himself.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Here, let me put it another way for your dull and unimaginative little brain.

"If two players are approximately equally skilled, gear can cover over the incidental mistakes of one player that might normally make the match a toss up and tip the balance in their favor". People who are of very similar skill levels fighting is not some outlandish scenario.

This mostly wouldn't be an issue if Revenge Gain wasn't a train wreck of game balance. The gains from other stats are very, very marginal.

It is regrettable that you are unable to reflect on your own biases and predispositions in a sober fashion.

Wow you come off as a total rear end in a top hat. I hope I can cliff you in a game soon.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Haroshia posted:

Gear doesn't mean poo poo unless it's a class with full revenge gain gear that gets hit twice then revenges and locks you in an infinite shove/headbutt/shieldbash/whatever chain until you die

Seriously gently caress off with your anecdotal "I WON AGAINST SUPERIOR GEAR SO GEAR IS FINE". Even if you can win around it it's still anti-fun as gently caress for people who want a somewhat competitive environment. Even though it might fracture the playerbase having the ability to mark it as a preferred game mode in 4v4s would be great. Yeah you might still fall into a gear active 4v4 but that's why there's no leaver penalty so :shrug:

I have revenge gain on injury and block maxed on Warlord and in a 1v1 it takes way more than 2 blocked hits to get revenge mode.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Captain O is a Jerk.

That's all I've learned recently.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

When people really like a game, they start to become invested in the idea of that game being good as part of their identity. This can turn a smart person very loving stupid.

It's not worth engaging with people like that after a point. They'll come down from the high eventually :shrug:

See the launch/beta (demo) Simcity 4 thread for an example.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Xeremides posted:

You just said it's impossible to have two players of equal skill fight each other, so if you're going to try to use that example to defeat his claim, you also have to admit that in his scenario, the guy with better gear wins because he's fighting himself.

I'm using that as an example for morons in this thread saying that someone with better gear is automatically unbeatable.

Obviously they're at a big advantage, but until you're literally playing perfectly and still losing to people in better gear there are things you can do about it that don't involve being a crybaby bitch on the SA forums.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

I also love the "I'm having fun so the game is fine" argument. It's cool that you're enjoying it. Keep playing it. Don't try to use it as a point in discussions of mechanics.

The game has some issues that need clarification on if they're working as intended, and fixes if they're not. This will require Ubisoft's support on the game. Saying "WELL I'M HAVING FUN AND I'M WINNING DESPITE THESE ISSUES" adds nothing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Captain Oblivious is indeed kind of a douche but he's a douche who happens to be 100% correct in this instance.

e: actually I might be thinking of Invictus idk I can never remember which Captain is which. He's definitely correct though.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

fadam posted:

I have revenge gain on injury and block maxed on Warlord and in a 1v1 it takes way more than 2 blocked hits to get revenge mode.

Okay.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

fadam posted:

Obviously they're at a big advantage

The end.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Haroshia posted:

I also love the "I'm having fun so the game is fine" argument. It's cool that you're enjoying it. Keep playing it. Don't try to use it as a point in discussions of mechanics.

The game has some issues that need clarification on if they're working as intended, and fixes if they're not. This will require Ubisoft's support on the game. Saying "WELL I'M HAVING FUN AND I'M WINNING DESPITE THESE ISSUES" adds nothing.

Coming from a thread filled with crybabies who moaned about PK getting her poo poo fixed?? "Wow why buff PK she's already too OP!" gently caress off. Her light attacks consistently missed cause it'd never engage properly after parries. I've killed so many PK because of that poo poo, and I always feel bad for them. Parrying an enemy and then being punished by swinging at air isn't fair, and I'm glad Ubi fixed her poo poo despite the fact I never play PK. But even I can see that was a broken as gently caress mechanic. Like when you parry someone as Valk and have to jump attack to even hit them, that's bullshit.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Giving up on things that are hard is a really good attitude to have.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just to nitpick, the revenge gain isnt the huge deciding factor ever. It's the debuff resistance and bonus damage.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Coming from a thread filled with crybabies who moaned about PK getting her poo poo fixed?? "Wow why buff PK she's already too OP!" gently caress off. Her light attacks consistently missed cause it'd never engage properly after parries. I've killed so many PK because of that poo poo, and I always feel bad for them. Parrying an enemy and then being punished by swinging at air isn't fair, and I'm glad Ubi fixed her poo poo despite the fact I never play PK. But even I can see that was a broken as gently caress mechanic. Like when you parry someone as Valk and have to jump attack to even hit them, that's bullshit.

When you parry as Conqueror you can't do much after against some classes. When you parry a Nobushi you can rarely do anything as most classes. Same with Lawbringer. Being able to attack after a parry isn't a loving guarantee for any class, nor should it be. Assassins in general are built to survive WITHOUT parrying with their deflect/dodge attacks. If this is a "fix" because you SHOULD be able to punish after a parry then a lot of other classes need to be fixed.

That's my whole point though. The devs are being annoyingly silent on which mechanics are working as intended and what ones aren't. As my MMR is rising I'm getting more and more games with people using "techs" that seem like bugs. The Unparryable poo poo isn't just constrained to Shugoki, and I'm seeing it on a lot of classes. I get parried as a raider from a grab into side heavy unblockable. I fight PKs who don't fall over despite being thrown with 0 stamina. There's Warlords getting revenge very fast in 4v4s and literally spamming headbutts into knockdowns into attacks for free kills. There's crazy and inconsistent attack tracking. There's a lot of the game that seems buggy as gently caress and that makes it hard to justify investing time into the game until it's either fixed, or confirmed to be working as intended.

Once again, if you're having fun that's fine. Keep having fun. poo poo I agree the game is fun. I raged out a bit earlier, but I've kind accepted it for what it is right now. Pretending like it's anything remotely competitive in its current state though is laughable.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 28, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Just to nitpick, the revenge gain isnt the huge deciding factor ever. It's the debuff resistance and bonus damage.

Now that I can agree on is bullshit. The debuff resistance at max lets you tech a guardbreak no matter what.

Haroshia posted:

When you parry as Conqueror you can't do much after against some classes. When you parry a Nobushi you can rarely do anything as most classes. Same with Lawbringer. Being able to attack after a parry isn't a loving guarantee for any class, nor should it be. Assassins in general are built to survive WITHOUT parrying with their deflect/dodge attacks. If this is a "fix" because you SHOULD be able to punish after a parry then a lot of other classes need to be fixed.

This is such a watertight argument. Good job comparing Nobushi (a long range character) to PK (an up close and personal character). No poo poo most classes can't punish a Nobushi after a parry, the bitch is half a football field away most times. But PK is always up and in your face. She should be able to light attack after a parry. She's basically been breathing down my neck, parries me, and then swings at air. It happens so often that I've come to expect it so I can rush in and punish.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Loopoo posted:

Now that I can agree on is bullshit. The debuff resistance at max lets you tech a guardbreak no matter what.

"This thing I just spent two pages defending is actually bullshit!"

lol good lord you are an idiot.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Loopoo posted:

Debuff resistance is the secret op stat I think. Recovery times from pretty much everything are effected by it. I have no proof but pks feel much better to fight on my warlord with max debuff resistance.

In fact everything feels smoother, and I think getting thrown counts as a debuff, and I've lived near quite a few ledges because I wasn't thrown far enough.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

"This thing I just spent two pages defending is actually bullshit!"

lol good lord you are an idiot.

aye. Not even gonna bother forming a solid response to this. All I'll say is "I was aiming my posts at people complaining about revenge mode builds and the ones who say it's an instant loss if the enemies in your game have high level gear".

I'm out, this thread becomes toxic as gently caress when arguments happen. I just wanna laugh at gifs of people getting cliffed and lawmakers dancing together. I don't read this thread to have my blood pressure raised.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Loopoo posted:

I'm out, this thread becomes toxic as gently caress when arguments happen. I just wanna laugh at gifs of people getting cliffed and lawmakers dancing together. I don't read this thread to have my blood pressure raised.

Well you've done an incredibly piss poor job of following your own advice so that's probably a good idea.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Also, faction warfare results in 15 minutes or so.

Chomp, your last posts in this thread have just been to make sassy comments and being a jerk in general by stirring the pot. I don't see you helping lighten the thread?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Quit getting mad about video games.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

just had my first guy drophack me in a 2v2

i was nobushi, he was PK and was raging all game because I was 'using bleed' and could 'light attack people to death' (the irony was lost on him)

As I was doing my execution in round 4 to win it suddenly game ends with an error :thumbsup:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This game has Soul Calibur levels of balance is what I'm sayin

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Loopoo posted:

That's not what 90% of the people are moaning about though. They're moaning about the fact that gear stats ruin the game and give people some godlike sort of advantage that you can't do anything about.

I'm merely saying that for a majority of complainers, it's about the revenge mode builds, so in that case, the second they pop it, just block their attacks or run until it's over??? So many people try and attack someone revenging and it's just dumb cause they don't get interrupted, so their attack will land as well as yours and you'll come out worse at the end of it.

I don't know what your issue is or why you're being a jerk about this. Maybe it's not the people who are "invested in the idea of that game being good as part of their identity" and more the fact you are one hell of a condescending person. Just my two cents.

EDIT: I don't want this to continue.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
looks like all that matters for the faction war round is the last tally lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chomp8645 posted:

I only saw one match so far and it was terrible boring trash. Conq vs Warlord and it was literally four rounds of shield bash/headbutt spam with no variation.. Hopefully the next one is better.

Some good fights so far.

Kinda sad they have to do 2v2s and let them kill people each round because Ubisoft forgot to include a proper spectator mode :v:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

This game has Soul Calibur levels of balance is what I'm sayin

Also Soul Calibur levels of Zone Out Rage.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dosvidanya posted:

I mean that sounds about right - the map is cumulative, it doesn't reset or anything, it just updates based on who has the most resources in a contested territory, right?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone explain what the war asset percentages were for? I don't understand what their importance is. Is it basically saying what percentage of players from that faction personally deployed their war assets?

Faction Warfare is a joke. Everything in between doesn't matter. It's whoever has the fewest territories an update or two before round end. Cause the faction with lowest territories always explodes after the next territory update.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dosvidanya posted:

Its like musical chairs :cheeky:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I "won" the faction war and got 3 scavenge crates but yeah it's kind of dumb as is. Oh well it's a minor thing anyways.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

I "won" the faction war and got 3 scavenge crates but yeah it's kind of dumb as is. Oh well it's a minor thing anyways.

Same, Vikings actually did a pretty good job of coordinating on the key territories to hold at the end. That last turn really could have gone either way.

It's just a background meta-game though, I wouldn't overthink it too much.

Looks like Knights got 2 crates, Samurai received only 1.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Haroshia posted:

The Unparryable poo poo isn't just constrained to Shugoki, and I'm seeing it on a lot of classes. I get parried as a raider from a grab into side heavy unblockable.

Anything really specific about the unparryable stuff? I've found in my testing that if you parry an unparryable, you still get the block. You don't get the punish but you don't get punished for it either. It is only with unblockable moves where you have to absolutely dodge it.

Also, you can parry a guardbreak?

I might have some cool raider stuff soon, depending on how picky the unlocking timing is. I honestly think all the longer ranged weapons can get something unique off that unparryable poo poo.

Hypha fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chomp8645 posted:

Update: The next one was better.

It also featured one of the top competitors raging about one of the maps to the point that he deliberately ran in circles avoiding combat. The organizers awarded that round to his opponent lol.