Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The BEF haven't gotten any new orders this round have they?

As in, the brigade commander hasn't posted any new orders for the BEF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The BEF haven't gotten any new orders this round have they?

On corps and division level yes, but not on the brigade level. I'll wait for the last moment, and then post basic emergency orders for them. It'll basically be: Charge artillery on Dejeneur, then charge Quatreprouts, then head for the crossroads near Clemenceau and wait.

e: I mean, I could include the clause "If the order is delayed by more than one turn, continue to attack Quatreprouts, then head for Dejeneur" I guess, but I really don't like the idea of doing the brigadier's job for them.

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 27, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

On corps and division level yes, but not on the brigade level. I'll wait for the last moment, and then post basic emergency orders for them. It'll basically be: Charge artillery on Dejeneur, then charge Quatreprouts, then head for the crossroads near Clemenceau and wait.

Charge the infantry, artillery can't shoot chits in melee anyways so they won't matter in the fight. If the brigade routs, the artillery is gone, if it doesn't, we just charge the artillery and nothing changes.

But infantry can shoot into melee, so aiming for the guns hurts us more.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Charge the infantry, artillery can't shoot chits in melee anyways so they won't matter in the fight. If the brigade routs, the artillery is gone, if it doesn't, we have the same result.

I beg your pardon? Where is this rule written?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

I beg your pardon? Where is this rule written?

quote:

Rifle Companies which, during their movement, move into base-to-base contact with an enemy company which it Spotted on a previous turn, initiate Close Combat. Infantry companies perform a Bayonet Charge; Cavalry performs a Cavalry Charge. Units who are being charged suspend the Order of Priority rules and instead fire on the charging company. A unit may be charged by multiple opponents at once. A unit in Close Combat may not be targeted by enemy artillery.

And besides, Trin said attached companies don't count for the rout count so killing the artillery doesn't actually make the job any easier.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

And besides, Trin said attached companies don't count for the rout count so killing the artillery doesn't actually make the job any easier.

Let's hope that the artillery is attached to those infantry chits, then. Sure, I'll adapt the emergency orders. I guess the cavalry chits can do the unlimbered artillery sniping better, anyway.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

EMERGENCY ORDERS, DIVISION LEVEL

Priorities list for the 22nd Division, in descending order, in case General Bacarrette doesn't post one:

Priority 1:
BEF and 6th cavalry
Priority 2:
97th brigade
Priority 3:
Artillery reserve
Priority 4:
99th brigade

Signing off on this.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Your MGs can't shoot anything if they don't have contact with a chit outside of town. rip

Yeah. I don't think there's anything to be done about that except maybe to specify that they should move to the outskirts and fire until dead or out of targets before joining with the 96th or whatever the closest friendly brigade is.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Your MGs can't shoot anything if they don't have contact with a chit outside of town. rip

They should be fine as long as they are touching the edge of the town, right?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

sullat posted:

They should be fine as long as they are touching the edge of the town, right?

I think that's going to cost me a turn of firing on the charge. C'est la mort.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
PROVISIONAL BEF ORDERS

Alright chaps. Get into battle line as best you can. Follow this map here.

Infantry will storm Dejeunner. Go as fast as you bloody can. Take out the artillery. Then the machine guns. Then the bloody infantry. Do not stop for anything.

The MG and the 12 pounder will follow us behind us. Deploy at the marked positions. Wait two turns at that position, and provide fires support. After that, if you see our boys advancing, then move up. If you see them falling back, hold fast and cover our retreat. Once our restreating men pass you, head back into the town or the town outskirts and prepare to make a last stand.

Important conditional: Once Dejeunner is taken -- rush to Quatreprouts and hold it at all costs.

If the commanding officer's orders reach us on turn 3 or later, rush to Quatreprouts and do not attempt to take Dejeunner.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 27, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Please aim for the infantry and MGs first, the artillery is the last priority in a bayonet charge.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I've edited my orders with notes for what to do if we survive Dejeuner and better orders for the MG.

xthetenth posted:

Orders to the 6e Cavalry

The continually updating last will and testament of General Dixième:

The cavalry and HQ are to charge those two artillery. The MG is to do whatever it can to fire in support of the charge. If I can avoid enemy MG fire by swinging farther West, the cav are to do so, however the charge is paramount. We must reach the guns. If, inexplicably, we survive, we are to attack any enemy artillery that can be reached without entering MG fields of fire, any artillery left unlimbered and any artillery left, in that order. If none of those apply, we will charge the 97th's target if it's charging/charged. If somehow we run out of enemies before men, I will join in any friendly unit's charge on Quatreprouts but will not launch the first attack on Quatreprouts or enter MG range of Quatreprouts before friendlies do so.

If the MG cannot fire this turn it is to move to the suburbs if that gives it a clear field of fire. If the suburbs don't give line of sight on any enemy targets, then the MG is to move with the 97th and support it by shooting its targets until it runs out of targets. If somehow the 97th ceases to be a viable combat unit, it is to join the BEF or closest friendly brigade if possible and support them. If it can join the reserve cavalry at any time and the rest of the 6e is gone, it is to do so.

Tell my mistresses that of them all, war is the only one I do not love or cherish.

Edited: changed MG orders

Edited: changed orders in case we somehow last through the battle for Dejeuner.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Half of tbk's division isn't going to post orders, it seems. :sigh:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Inbetween now and Trin posting, anyone is authorized to chime in for the missing orders. (No, observers, you don't count)

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Desertion :argh:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm on my phone on the bus - who needs orders?

my dad posted:

Inbetween now and Trin posting, anyone is authorized to chime in for the missing orders. (No, observers, you don't count)

55e emergency orders

As per general Tebeka's orders, entrench on the spot. Engage enemies in range with rifle fire. Remain on defensive stance.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
EMERGENCY ORDERS FOR WHAT I'M MOSTLY SURE ARE THE 52ND AND 53RD BRIGADES

The red arrow guys go along the red arrow and go into the formation pictured and if anyone gets within charge-and-stab range they charge and stab, then fall back into position if there's nobody left to charge and stab.

The blue arrow guys go along the blue arrow and just sit there and shoot at anyone that looks German.

Edit: It occurs to me that I should specify that the red arrow guys will only be ordered to charge and stab Germans.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 27, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Keep running, you craven communist coward.

(55th already got their orders, thankfully, but I appreciate your initiative!)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That's everyone, I think!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ah mon Pere general, you mistake me for my dissolute identical twin brother, who is also called Reneé.

He is the communist, I am a dedicated soldier waiting for a command!

If I don't get one, the patriots will kill me. Of course if I do, the boche will kill me. And if I stay at home and my wife finds out about my affaire dangeroux avec the waitress, she will kill me.

Edit: looks like I've finally found a suitable idea for my portrait for the next one

lenoon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 27, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

We await!

lenoon fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 27, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

lenoon posted:

We await!

We who are about to die would like to schedule drinks with you at a convenient time and place of your choosing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
By the way, I'd just like to remind everyone that the next set of turns will be followed by nightfall. Be prepared to make very long-term plans.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
panic in the roll20 as trin announces something interesting has happened, but does not explain

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Where My Dad shows pessimism which has spread much confusion among the rank and file.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
More than merely interesting, something unexpectedly bizarre.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

"The adjudication is taking double the time it should because I keep having to pause and shake my head in utter disbelief"
- Trin Tragula, 2017

:f5:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hunt/dynasty warriors crossover confirmed?

my dad posted:

By the way, I'd just like to remind everyone that the next set of turns will be followed by nightfall. Be prepared to make very long-term plans.

Last order was my last will and testament and now you want very long term plans? :v:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

last will and testament is the longest term plan anyone can make

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

sullat posted:

More than merely interesting, something unexpectedly bizarre.

Maybe the war's over. Maybe it's peace...

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

no, we just ran out of ammo for the 75mm

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

no, we just ran out of ammo for the 75mm

We've probably used like 6 months production of 75mm shells today in our sector alone.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Gentlemen, it appears Lu-Bu has captured Quatrepoux. No, don't ask how, im not sure either.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

Gentlemen, it appears Lu-Bu has captured Quatrepoux. No, don't ask how, im not sure either.

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed:

Do not pursue

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_pAII16pw

Turn 22: 1730

The first thing that happens this half-hour is dull and humdrum; a German company suddenly makes a dash for the Bois de Baguette, and your guns, caught by surprise, miss as they attempt to fire on it.

Your Eastern brigades attempt to re-deploy, with varying amounts of success.

Baguende is re-occupied.

Right. That's the end of sensible for the time being. Let us now join Crazytown, aka Dejeuner Ridge, twinned with Insanity and Elan.

The situation looks exceptionally grim as xthetenth gathers up his men for one last poo poo-or-bust charge up Dejeuner Ridge. They'll have to do it without MG cover, too, as their MG support is busy moving into the Outskirts. Manly embraces are exchanged as they mount their horses and prepare to die.

But then some things become apparent. For one, the German 10cm howitzers are in the process of unlimbering, and can't fire. The 15cm howitzers are still trundling gently into place. For another, the utterly selfless charge of the 97th Infantry Brigade has put them close enough to the German machine guns to draw the MGs' fire. And third, the positioning of the German infantry is such that everyone's screening each other from the horses. The only companies with clear shots are ones who moved first, with initiative, and who consequently moved 8", seeing no targets, and made themselves ineligible to use rifle fire.

What this means, in short, is that the cavalry charge succeeds unopposed and there will be a close combat phase.

But first. The German MGs open fire. It is said that greater love hath no man than this; that he should lay down his life for his friends. Well, that's the 79th's job, and they do it well enough. They then make a morale check and fail; next turn they will begin retreating suppressed in the direction of Graisse.

Now xthetenth's comrades draw sabres and charge the gunners, caught unlimbering.

Two howitzer batteries are ruined and another bravely runs away, retreating suppressed. The General follows suit. And how! And how! There'll be medals all round for this hour's work, if any are left alive to be decorated with them!

He scorns the bombs of a single mortar battery, brushes off the fire from an enemy brigade commander, and scatters the 15cm howitzers as his comrades did their 10cm friends.

And there's still three more turns to go, for God's sake. This is just utterly ludicrous. Surely they can't survive the six o'clock hour.

Turn 23: 1800
French initiative

Some people that none of you care about any more move in ways nobody can be bothered with any more.

The cavalry continues to boldly go, and as they wheel about to charge again, they spot (as depicted by the red marker chit) a German runner heading in the general direction of Saint Croissant!

On the back side of the hill, the 175th has emerged from its trenches and now finds itself in an ideal position to sweep up the fleeing howitzers!

Many of them had to take their full movement to get into range, but a few rifle companies open fire, and they make their shots count.

xthetenth's comrades meet their end at the hands of the German machine guns as the BEF charges forward at the German FKs, again catching them unlimbering!

Their comrades' rifle fire proves telling, with an MG suppression; and from behind them, a French 155cm howitzer roars into life, dwarfing all the other gun reports, and suppressing a German FK with the greatest of ease.

xthetenth sends three more enemy companies fleeing before him and then falls on the FK; one BEF company is repelled by supporting rifle fire, and then the one that closes to contact fails to have any effect on the German guns!

At this point I swear very loudly, having noticed that somehow one of the three remaining 6th cav companies got accidentally switched off and didn't get switched on again when I came to run Turn 22. I quickly retrace the path it would have taken and am pretty sure no German would ever have had a shot at it (or if they did, they would have rolled badly anyway), so drop it into place charging the FKs.

And once again that gun battery resists an enemy charge unharmed in a stunning display of stupidity courage.

What more can possibly happen?

Turn 24: 1830
German initiative

More things you've ceased to care about.

The 97th retreats to the Bois de Graisse and attempts to un-gently caress itself.

North of Dejeuner, the 175th drops its guns for a split second to dispatch the 15cm howitzer battery; on the south slopes, the FKs open fire in self-defence, but there are now too many enemies bearing down on them to avoid close combat!

German machine guns open up on the BEF from Quatreprouts and cause casualties; the BEF's MG responds.

One BEF company has somehow managed to survive the fire of two machine guns and two German rifle companies and drills right through the MGs with the bayonet, killing one and forcing another to retreat suppressed!

xthetenth's companions are suppressed, but the General requires no friends as he zips across the field, operating in ideal conditions for cavalry, and drills mercilessly through the remaining German infantry.

Who would have thought, analysing the situation as it appeared yesterday, that it would end up like this? Who knows? Not me, though I never lost control.

xthetenth was face, to face, with the man who sold the world. (And then he sliced his chest open with a sword.)

[Note: Here is what you saw when the MGs in Quatreprouts opened fire.]

Turn 25: 1900
German initiative

In the last proper light of the day, some more things happen in the East.

The 97th begins to rally in Graisse.

German arse hortillery has unwisely ridden into Fraisechamps and pays the price.

The newly-arrived German cavalry, inspired by your example, attempts to charge the green reservists of the 175th!

The 175th's unlimbered guns do most of the work; the MG finishes it, although one rifle company is killed by a German weapon. Atop Dejeuner, xthetenth and the British brigadier attempt to gather their men and figure out what the hell they can possibly do to top this evening's work; just to the south, the German MGs in Quatreprouts conduct some light target practice.

And so, amazingly, incredibly, improbably, with the last shaft of true daylight before the battlefield begins to recede into the gloom of night, this, this is what you can see.

You have removed 154 enemy companies from the board and lost 131.

:siren: Owing to my schedule, the next soft deadline is Thursday March 2nd, 9am GMT. I believe that there is, by way of compensation, plenty to discuss.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

holy gently caress thats beyond my wildest expectations :woop:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
New mission objective: xthetenth must survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
PLEASE SEND THE FOLLOWING TO THE CENTRAL POWERS THREAD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrvGcCK0o_o

• Locked thread