Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Honky Dong Country posted:

Fuuuuuck this comes out Apr 7th and I have to leave town on contract on the 24th. That may leave me a couple weeks but drat it that's not enough. I want to do a cybernetic empire, go full WH40k chaos with the shroud, a hive mind, carnivorous plants/reptiles that eat everything in sight, and so much more.

April 6th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

just lol if the 7th to 24th isn't enough time to play the game to the point that you're sick of it and writing upset-about-videogames posts on the internet about all the unaddressed and new problems thanks to Utopia maybe the next DLC will make the game better but until then I'm not playing anymore!!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Baronjutter posted:

I still think we're missing a robot type between "Like a human but worse at everything except mining" and "better than organics in every possible way".

Yeah, I kinda agree and think droids should be more on par with regular organic pops.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

deathbagel posted:

April 6th.

That's still just one more day. It wouldn't suck so bad if my contracts weren't so long. But once I leave I won't be getting back until mid-late May or maybe even early June.

Baronjutter posted:

just lol if the 7th to 24th isn't enough time to play the game to the point that you're sick of it and writing upset-about-videogames posts on the internet about all the unaddressed and new problems thanks to Utopia maybe the next DLC will make the game better but until then I'm not playing anymore!!

I don't lose patience with games nearly as fast as a lot of nerds do. I'm completely happy to play every possible facet of the game slowly and methodically into the ground.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 27, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

also I was basically beat one post after yours, so did anyone else notice the :black101: BLOOD COURT :black101:

I can't wait to find out about all the government names tbh

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember before stellaris launched people made all these little web based empire creator things that they'd constantly update with every tidbit of new or changed info.

Wish they'd leak enough new race/empire/civic stuff for people to play around with that poo poo again, so long as everyone doesn't post their poo poo.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

I can't wait to find out about all the government names tbh

"The Seven" :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Honky Dong Country posted:

Also I was thinking more about co-op play in Stellaris and I think it'd be extremely cool if you could enable an option that forced placement of player empires to be close.

This exact option already exists in the vanilla game fyi

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Truga posted:

This exact option already exists in the vanilla game fyi

Oh drat I never noticed the clustered players option. Welp, nevermind! Thanks.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Re: Pops and Victoria In Space, I'm also of the mind that the population system is gonna need an overhaul at some point. Maybe in the slightly distant future the Stellaris guys can talk to the Victoria III guys (because what the hell else would they be announcing at PDX Con) and brainstorm.

Slightly more seriously, Stars in Shadow did it REALLY well. Their biome and habitability system is probably the closest thing to perfect that I've run across. I get that tiles are basically so integral to Stellaris at this point that they're never going away, but using them similarly to building slots in Stars in Shadow would be way better than the knockoff Civilization system they are now.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've been watching the Borg in the Star Trek mod and they have a pretty hilarious mechanic: any pop in their empire (including planets they invade during a war) automatically gets the Assimilated trait, which adds borg junk to their picture and makes them always have 60% happiness. Incidentially, successfully invading a planet also means it's theirs for good, it's not just occupied :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wiz:

Please give us the ability to do gene mods/cyber mods on species on occupied planets.

Let us leave a legacy if they let the war go on long enough.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Wiz:

Please give us the ability to do gene mods/cyber mods on species on occupied planets.

loving monster with a good idea

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Wiz:

And also let us do hostile/malevolent genemods and add more traits like that.

Prole is a good start but I want more. I need more! MORE!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

We are the Blorg. Lower your shields and surrender your pops. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will be genemodded to befriend us. Resistance is impolite.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And also let us do hostile/malevolent genemods and add more traits like that.

Prole is a good start but I want more. I need more! MORE!

Well obviously.

I dont understand why we cant right now its weird

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Well obviously.

I dont understand why we cant right now its weird
There have been hints we might be able to do it now if we go for Biological Ascendancy but I may just be projecting my heartfelt hopes on the comments

There don't appear to be more double-edged traits though, which I think is a shame. I mean, they already have trait picks to keep species constrained, why not go for a wee bit more variety?

Also uggghhh, I have not one, not two but three upliftable species and the drat tech isn't spawning. What the hell?

edit:

Base: 85
Modifiers
1.5x if Fanatic Xenophile.png fanatic xenophile.
1.25x if Xenophile.png xenophile.
1.25x if scientist expertise is Biology.png biology.
0.75x if Xenophobe.png xenophobe.
0.5x if Fanatic Xenophobe.png fanatic xenophobe.

what the gently caress why does the fact you have a shitload of pre-sentients not figure into that at all???

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The real question that still needs to be answered in Utopia is:

which space empire is the true successor to Rome?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Pretty sure it's those Byzantine space elves.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'd be all right with a retinue of space cataphracts.

Elven space cataphracts, that is.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Heartcatch posted:

Elven space cataphracts, that is.

Astrophracts

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I am constantly checking up on the Paradox forums for information on the next expansion and patch, because it looks like it'll make the game waaaay more entertaining.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

what the gently caress why does the fact you have a shitload of pre-sentients not figure into that at all???

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: A bunch of techs need to be switched to a conditional trigger system. Encountering a pre-sentient species should simply simply add the "uplift" card to your deck permanently, the same way researching a bit of battle wreckage or encountering a tech that needs to be researched through a special event does.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

When will we be able to equip our fleets for proper space combat?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: A bunch of techs need to be switched to a conditional trigger system. Encountering a pre-sentient species should simply simply add the "uplift" card to your deck permanently, the same way researching a bit of battle wreckage or encountering a tech that needs to be researched through a special event does.
It's rather irritating because they have the system for tile creep, why not have it for pre-sentients as well?
I would actually really like it if there was ramming, boarding or even bioweapons/capturing/horrible biomassing like in homeworld-ing ships

not as much as I want peaceful stuff tho

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Yes. This is so vital. Even if you have to spend some time doing a research project or some poo poo to unlock it that would be the best. Other things like this include imo terraforming and tile blockers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GunnerJ posted:

Yes. This is so vital. Even if you have to spend some time doing a research project or some poo poo to unlock it that would be the best. Other things like this include imo terraforming and tile blockers.

Yeah it's awesome when you've colonized some planet that's like 90% toxic kelp or something and the tech just never comes up for roll after roll. At the same time if you had access to every tech you wanted/needed that would defeat the system. Ultimately I think the system doesn't quite work as well as it should and something closer to the classic Moo tech system would have worked much better and foster more interesting trades.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh my loving god its because I didn't research Xeno Zoos

Wow however would I not have figured that out!

Also holy gently caress they really have to add in borders and poo poo because I don't know how many times I have no idea what area my loving border outposts cover or if I can safely delete them WHICH IS PRETTY loving FRUSTRATING IN IRONMAN

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it's awesome when you've colonized some planet that's like 90% toxic kelp or something and the tech just never comes up for roll after roll. At the same time if you had access to every tech you wanted/needed that would defeat the system.

Good.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Arglebargle III posted:

Someone needs to come up with a name list where colonies are just increments of #th Rome.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Are other empires supposed to be able to control the federation fleet? I hate getting access to the loving thing because I can't tell it where to go, it'll always just go off and do whatever. I assumed that it was a bug in my first federation-focused game since the big change but it's happening in this one too.

Also I'm tired of constantly accidentally sending my transport fleets off on their own. It's because the last thing I do is embark them, then zoom out to move. So I send them, alone. I know that's my fault but god dammit I hate transport fleets.

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 28, 2017

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Federation president runs the fleet. Sometimes the fleet bugs out and continues to follow its last orders before the rotating presidency changes.

I wish you could merge transports with the fleet.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Taear posted:

Are other empires supposed to be able to control the federation fleet? I hate getting access to the loving thing because I can't tell it where to go, it'll always just go off and do whatever.

There is still something wonky with the Federation fleet. At least the AI seems to be able to use it now but when you have control it sometimes gets confused and tries to go to weird places. It's very inconsistent and I'm not sure where it is getting those orders from.

Still better than how it was where the fleet would go braindead when you're not the controller.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Taear posted:

Are other empires supposed to be able to control the federation fleet? I hate getting access to the loving thing because I can't tell it where to go, it'll always just go off and do whatever. I assumed that it was a bug in my first federation-focused game since the big change but it's happening in this one too.

Split it in half and then add the "original" fleet to the new fleet. Near as anyone can tell, this is a bug related to the last fed president still being registered as owning the specific fleet, so changing the fleet fixes it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Space Skeleton posted:

There is still something wonky with the Federation fleet. At least the AI seems to be able to use it now but when you have control it sometimes gets confused and tries to go to weird places. It's very inconsistent and I'm not sure where it is getting those orders from.

Still better than how it was where the fleet would go braindead when you're not the controller.

Yea it's definitely better than it used to be but it's not just old orders that it is following - for example if we're at war the fleet will go off to fight stuff all alone. I just ignore it. Right now it's set to follow one of my ally fleets. I definitely didn't do that and I don't know why it insists on doing it.

Also whenever the change came in that you can annex worlds to your liberated allies that come from the worlds of their original empire came in, I salute it. Now I can have lovely borders again.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Taear posted:

That's a bug that's been in place since at least the last patch. It's an AI error where the previous controller's command stays active. As far as I know it only affects Feds with AI members. When I made a Fed in my last multiplayer with only people, it seemed to work fine.

*Edit* That thing all those other people said already.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Is the whole "fly a science ship into black hole systems" thing actually accurate for Horizon Signal? I have got about half way through it but never on an ironman save - but I've tried 80 ins and outs now with no luck!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's accurate. 80 times though? You need to step up your game (or wait until 1.5 where the chance of it triggering has been jacked up to a staggering 1% of the time).

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah the chance is definitely based on every time a science ship enters a black hole, that's how I got it to fire the one and only time I've seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I would have thought that having spent a few decades turning the Mireesh into spiritual collectivists would have maybe delivered a government that was at least either spiritualist or collectivist but no, I'm sure it makes perfect sense for them to be Fanatic Militarist Individualists

There is Not A Single Militarist or Individual on the planet! There are several pacifists but they're all also collectivists and spiritualists!

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 28, 2017

• Locked thread