Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh, wait, it was more than that: tennessee contributed $1.36 million. of which a grand total of $64,100 was actually given to support down-ticket races. which still means that around $1.29 million got grifted right into that black hole of a clusterfucked campaign.

thanks a loving lot, hillary, that money sure came in handy when we ended up losing another couple of seats in the state legislature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

oh, wait, it was more than that: $1.36 million. of which a grand total of $64,100 was actually given to support down-ticket races. which still means that around $1.29 million went right into that black hole of a clusterfucked campaign.

thanks a loving lot, hillary, that money sure came in handy when we ended up losing another couple of seats in the state legislature.

the states did not sign up for the HVF with the expectation that they would receive all that money. they did not fundraise that money, and it didn't come from their donors. they were just signatories. so the idea that it at all took away from even one dollar for the TN dems is stupid

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$1.29mil could have bought at least one yard sign or a TI-83 so that mook could loving check his math

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I rate this shirt 2 paws up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Concerned Citizen posted:

the states did not sign up for the HVF with the expectation that they would receive all that money. they did not fundraise that money, and it didn't come from their donors. they were just signatories. so the idea that it at all took away from even one dollar for the TN dems is stupid

i'm sure they expected more than 5% of the funds

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

the "nonetheless she persisted" thing is very low energy

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I have come to see the light.

You and the rest of the Hilary-boosters have taught me that money from banks is a good and pragmatic thing and it's the only way to defeat the republicans.

better abandon everything immediately because you only half-succeeded this time, that'll show the true enemy of the people who's boss

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seeing a number of ignored responses immediately after i posted can't be a good sign

and it isn't -- especially when you could at least read that link i provided:

quote:

Note: A Center for Responsive Politics report shows TNDP receiving $64,100 from Hillary Victory Fund. Clinton, btw, has directly raised about $1.36 million from Tennessee donors, according to an FEC summary of presidential candidate contributions in the state — more than any other candidate, Republican or Democratic.

i won't say your apparent illiteracy is the reason that nobody likes you, but it certainly is a contributing factor. the only one stupid here is you.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

no wait that's loving stupid

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

i'm sure they expected more than 5% of the funds

if they did expect more, they were wrong. the funds were never theirs by agreement, they never put in even 10 seconds of effort to fundraise. the hvf cost them nothing at all, it was always a vehicle to fund the dnc. the dnc has always funded races according to how competitive they are. maybe that's not the best way to do it, but no one expected them to change that formula this year

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

seeing a number of ignored responses immediately after i posted can't be a good sign

and it isn't -- especially when you could at least read that link i provided:

i won't say your apparent illiteracy is the reason that nobody likes you, but it certainly is a contributing factor. the only one stupid here is you.

why precisely do the tn dems deserve money donated to the hillary clinton campaign? if the tn donors wanted to donate to the tndp, surely they would have gone to the tndp party website/fundraiser instead? i guess i gave you the benefit of the doubt you were talking about HVF money, and not money donated to the actual clinton campaign which has literally nothing at all to do with the tndp

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 03:27 on Feb 28, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

if they did expect more, they were wrong. the funds were never theirs by agreement, they never put in even 10 seconds of effort to fundraise. the hvf cost them nothing at all, it was always a vehicle to fund the dnc. the dnc has always funded races according to how competitive they are. maybe that's not the best way to do it, but no one expected them to change that formula this year

she was bragging about how much she was gonna help the downticket

sounds to me she wanted everyone to have the impression the hvf wasn't just for her

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

she was bragging about how much she was gonna help the downticket

sounds to me she wanted everyone to have the impression the hvf wasn't just for her

yes i agree, hillary camp's description of HVF was incredibly misleading. some of the money did benefit the down ballot, but it was always mainly funding gotv programs in battleground states and they were incidental. one big issue is that all the money raised is federal money, which in most cases can only be spent on federal races. so in the case of TN, there isn't a lot they could have done with that money to win their state leg races.

the state parties who signed the agreement knew what the agreement was. they weren't surprised when the money was transferred back out of their accounts, since they had to sign an agreement that specifically said that.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

why precisely do the tn dems deserve money donated to the hillary clinton campaign? if the tn donors wanted to donate to the tndp, surely they would have gone to the tndp party website/fundraiser instead?

they probably would've spent the money more intelligently than the clinton campaign did lmao

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Yinlock posted:

i thought it was the literal nazis but sure

Everyone's first in our utopia :)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

why precisely do the tn dems deserve money donated to the hillary clinton campaign? if the tn donors wanted to donate to the tndp, surely they would have gone to the tndp party website/fundraiser instead?

as per my last comment, maybe they thought by donating to hvf, they were also donating to the tndp. hillary sure did try to give people that impression

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

as per my last comment, maybe they thought by donating to hvf, they were also donating to the tndp. hillary sure did try to give people that impression

well, hvf donations were largely for very large donors, and they were pretty clearly marketed with clinton stuff (after all, it's the hillary victory fund). the first 2700 went straight to the clinton campaign's bank account. the next 2700 (iirc) went to the dnc. that's all on the literal donation forms and website. everything after that was split among state parties, who promptly had that money sent back to the dnc. the only way tn would be hurt by this is if one of their regular donors gave to the HVF instead of the party, and maxed out completely. which is why the dnc had the parties to send in lists of their donors they didn't want solicited by hvf so they didn't have their own donor base leeched from.

i feel fairly comfortable in saying that a large donor from tn would have been hit with solicitations by the state party if they were not maxed out to them, for at the very least a max donation to their state party account.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 03:33 on Feb 28, 2017

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

loquacius posted:

I think it was only like a month ago someone claimed ITT that Bernie had no opinions on women's issues and never talked about them and I was like "I have personally heard Bernard Sanders say 'equal pay for women' as an applause line, and thousands of Bernard Brothers cheered their approval"

They were saying boo-urns

Is that the weenie who got neutered before he was inaugurated

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

hillary victory fund was just a way to get around campaign finance liimits just like the majority of state party and DNC fundraising. Once large donors maxed out to HFA, they were directed to give additional money to the HVF. This is because the campaign finance system as a whole is ridiculous and pretty much any well run campaign is going to have to do stuff like that in order to be competitive. If people want to give to downballot races they should give to them directly but 95%+ of the donors giving to hillary victory fund were rich max out donors who wanted to give more to hillary.

They obviously marketed it differently to the press but donors knew what they were signing up and most likely specifically wanted to give to hillary and be assured it wouldn't go to other races.

G-Hawk has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Feb 28, 2017

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
just for the record:

the tn dems transferred $641k in hvf funds to the dnc, which again was money that they never agreed was theirs and was always supposed to go back to dnc. this cycle, they received $310k in transfers from the national committee. so the tn democratic party got a good amount of money. the $1.36 million cited by gene hackman was, not surprisingly, blatantly wrong and stupid. here's the source for that: https://www.opensecrets.org/states/other.php?state=TN&cycle=2016

nopants
May 29, 2004
Is the DNC still in debt?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

nopants posted:

Is the DNC still in debt?

they have $3.7m in debt, but also $10m coh so they're fine

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

"It might have been."
Pillbug

G-Hawk posted:

hillary victory fund was just a way to get around campaign finance liimits just like the majority of state party and DNC fundraising. Once large donors maxed out to HFA, they were directed to give additional money to the HVF. This is because the campaign finance system as a whole is ridiculous and pretty much any well run campaign is going to have to do stuff like that in order to be competitive. If people want to give to downballot races they should give to them directly but 95%+ of the donors giving to hillary victory fund were rich max out donors who wanted to give more to hillary.

They obviously marketed it differently to the press but donors knew what they were signing up and most likely specifically wanted to give to hillary and be assured it wouldn't go to other races.

i remember hearing so much about how hillary was magnanimously helping to fund downticket races

just lol @ me for believing that at face value

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

UV_Catastrophe posted:

they probably would've spent the money more intelligently than the clinton campaign did lmao

"Spending more intelligently than the Clinton Campaign," is not a high bar to get over.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

booty judge, the man of tomorrow

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UV_Catastrophe posted:

just lol @ me for believing that at face value

there was a lot of stuff she got us to accept at face value.

like the idea that she wasn't a loving idiot when it came to running a political campaign.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

UV_Catastrophe posted:

anyone intimately familiar with how state parties spend money knows that money would probably have ended up as a huge pile of refrigerator magnets with qr codes handed out on back to school night

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

there was a lot of stuff she got us to accept at face value.

like the idea that she wasn't a loving idiot when it came to running a political campaign.

Hillary Can Fix It

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

What happened to all the downticket money, CC?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

better abandon everything immediately because you only half-succeeded this time, that'll show the true enemy of the people who's boss

Half succeeded? What's this half you're referring to?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

What happened to all the downticket money, CC?

yes i agree, hillary camp's description of HVF was incredibly misleading. some of the money did benefit the down ballot, but it was always mainly funding gotv programs in battleground states and they were incidental. one big issue is that all the money raised is federal money, which in most cases can only be spent on federal races. so in the case of TN, there isn't a lot they could have done with that money to win their state leg races.

The DCCC, DGA, dscc, and dlcc spend millions and millions on down ballot races, which were better funded than the GOP this cycle.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

Hillary Can Fix It

[primary reference]

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Jazerus posted:

booty judge, the man of tomorrow

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/836197533995106309

:allears:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

I'm glad he really loves his home town of south bend, for some reason.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

buttigeig land looking pretty... okay.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The DCCC, DGA, dscc, and dlcc spend millions and millions on down ballot races, which were better funded than the GOP this cycle.

okay but what did hillary do to help the downballot

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

No presidential candidate does anything to help the down ballot

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

given how badly dems got clobbered in 2016, not a whole loving lot.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

No presidential candidate does anything to help the down ballot

then why was bernie expected to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

then why was bernie expected to

I didn't expect him to. Take it up with someone who did.

• Locked thread