Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Subjunctive posted:

How did they get away with it for two days before being arrested?

Police didn't do anything. Judge even had a go at the police for letting it go unchallenged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

White people didn't feel threatened.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Don't worry I checked, there absolutely are white people defending them in the comment section.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Subjunctive posted:

There is a sizable contingent of American police that are white supremacists

For example:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ian-hans-lichtermann-nazi-tattoos_us_57c9ac1fe4b0a22de095c968

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Obviously that was just the prototype run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daysCqmqd2Y

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Jesus, they really threw the book at them. 13 and 6 years seems really lengthy, unless they had prior convictions? It's especially odd given:

the article posted:

Their attorneys pled for lighter sentencing, saying that two other defendants, Thomas Charles Summers and Lacey Paul Henderson II, had pled guilty to terroristic threat and battery charges and received lighter sentences that Norton and Torres were facing. Summers, is serving 4 years in prison and Henderson is serving two

I guess those guys didn't get slapped with the aggravating hate crime stuff? Or just got off easy for pleading guilty. Also, this sucks:

the article posted:

McClain, however, said Torres and Norton would have to answer for their behavior. He also called into question the Douglasville Police Department’s decision not to arrest any of the “Respect the Flag” group that day. He called it “inexplicable” and “a very bad mistake.”

Seems like there's plenty of lovely people involved here.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sexual Aluminum posted:

You don't understand officer! I didn't realize there would be consequences! How could I have known? In a way, I am the real victim here!

And this lets me segue right back into the latest dumb internet drama of Pewdiepie blaming the Wall Street Journal for all of his failings.

One of my friends has decided now is the time to champion pewdiepie :negative: so just all day it's been non-stop links to other youtube superstars insane rants about how the press is evil and pewdiepie is right because he has a lot of likes. The schadenfreude is on me and I no longer want to live.

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde
I found that article to be a little light on details, but I found another one which describes the event they're being charged for:

quote:

Prosecutors said witnesses attending the birthday party, featuring a bouncy castle and snow cone machine, testified that people in a convoy of trucks displaying the flag shouted racial slurs as they drove by, stopping next to the party.

Torres was accused of pointing a shotgun at the predominately black party-goers and threatening to kill them, prosecutors said in a news release. Norton loaded the shotgun and gave it to him, they said.

The pair faced some of the most serious charges out of 15 members of the group "Respect the Flag" indicted over the incident, Fortner said. Two others facing similar charges pleaded guilty and were sentenced to lesser prison sentences.

So "ruined a child's birthday party" was a significant understatement.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

tasukiscool posted:

I found that article to be a little light on details, but I found another one which describes the event they're being charged for:

Yeah it seemed really harsh until I read what they actually did. Jesus Christ. And this was shortly after that nut shot up a black church.

Enjoy jail, motherfuckers.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

tasukiscool posted:

Additionally this was less than a month after Dickface Roof murdered nine people in a church.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s “ruining a child’s birthday party” analogous to how 9/11 was “vandalism”.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Did the article really need to go "hey, this black woman isn't married to her children's father"?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Did the article really need to go "hey, this black woman isn't married to her children's father"?

They were pointing out Norton (white woman) wasn't married to Torres (white guy) but had kids together.

quote:

His children’s mother, Norton, however, addressed several people...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Eh, you find it amusing or you dont, I was just confirming that he is in fact looking like a stereotypical gamer douchebag on purpose for the intros and outros of his videos.

You fool, only actors on the big theater screen can play a character. Everyone else is an extremely serious, totally not embellished, for real person.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait these people got 20 and 15 years for being racist dickheads?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

belt posted:

For being racist dickheads... in a large gang of racist dickheads driving around and threatening black people with shotguns.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teddybear posted:

and threatening black people with shotguns.

My bad I guess I missed that part.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

belt posted:

It turns out law enforcement takes a dim view of people pointing loaded shotguns at groups of children and screaming that you'll kill them in between racial epithets. Who knew right?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Burning_Monk posted:

They were pointing out Norton (white woman) wasn't married to Torres (white guy) but had kids together.

Sorry, got the names mixed up.

Still seems unnecessary to point out?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

If that hadn't counted as "gang terrorism," it would be time to just scrap the drat law.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It turns out law enforcement takes a dim view of people pointing loaded shotguns at groups of children and screaming that you'll kill them in between racial epithets. Who knew right?

Well, no. Judges take a dim view of it.

Law enforcement seemed to be pretty okay with it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah that's a good point

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

drat. You're absolutely right.

:smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did the Confederacy even have free speech? I would like to know just how deep the irony of this situation runs.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did the Confederacy even have free speech? I would like to know just how deep the irony of this situation runs.

This is a good guide on the CSA and what was changed from the US Constitution.
Most of the Bill of Rights, including the first amendment, was basically taken wholesale and included in the Confederate constitution.

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

Jippa posted:

Points to any one that actually figures out what is going on.

https://twitter.com/DougieStew/status/835845404734414848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Gluten, intolerance.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Cash Crab dabbling in hijacking, I see.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I feel like not enough attention is being paid to this bit:

"He sentenced Torres to 20 years, with 13 to serve in prison. Norton was given 15 years, with six to serve. Upon their release, McClain ordered them to be permanently banished from Douglas County."

BANISHED

that's some OLD TESTAMENT poo poo, i'm imagining the judge just going absolutely HAM with the gavel. "GET *wak* THE gently caress *wak* OUT *wak* OF *wak* MY *wak* COUNTY *wak* YOU BITCHMADE *wak* PIECE *wak* OF poo poo *wak* DO NOT PASS GO *wak* DO NOT COLLECT TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS *wak* YOU ARE loving FIRED *wak* *wak* *wak*

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Banishment is a pretty awesome punishment on top of their prison sentences. I wonder how high up of a judge you have to be to banish someone from the states entirely. Or like, all states except Alaska.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Oh no hell no tweedle-dum and tweedle-dipshit can keep their dumb asses the HELL out of Alaska, alaska owns.

I have been laughing intermittently ever since I read that article, just imagining the judge all :getout:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Alaska is really nice, except for the state bird.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Alaska is really nice, except for the state bird.

I had to look into this and it really is a lovely rear end bird

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I actually meant the mosquitoes. They're a serious problem in the summer. I really have nothing against the :squints eyes: Willow... Ptarmigan?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Memento posted:

I actually meant the mosquitoes. They're a serious problem in the summer. I really have nothing against the :squints eyes: Willow... Ptarmigan?

I'm going to have to challenge you for that one then, because I'm sitting here in Hawaii and after a single rainfall this whole side of the island just becomes mosquito town and everything becomes mud because we still don't have sidewalks and there are rear end in a top hat poison toads everywhere that hop onto the road and explode when a car runs over it.

Sometimes I feel like I live in a video game.

Our state birds are geese that landed here and never left.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
She should get a job with her encyclopedic knowledge of black hair. She could be the only white on the planet that black women trust with their hair. It's uncanny.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Babylon Astronaut posted:

She should get a job with her encyclopedic knowledge of black hair. She could be the only white on the planet that black women trust with their hair. It's uncanny.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there are no black women that will let her do their hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Would you choose Hitler for a barber?