Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I disagree with Fulchrum on whether this is a good strategy or not but I notice that nobody took objection to "voters are loving morons" until a "Hillary-aligned" person said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

Remember everyone appealing to someones need for basic necessities makes you like hitler.

You said we should appeal to racists, but ok 👌

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

See, you're justifying anything you do by claiming the cops are worse, not by virtue of behavior but by virtue of existence, meaning that you can do anything, anything to a "minority", (can't even say "trans woman", can you, you sick little freak) and it will be fine, and people getting you arraigned and put up for life in the hoosegow for it, well, all you would say would be "This is a waste of time and energy" in your colorless serial killer voice.

For all this talk of political correctness you seem to be projecting a lot of hatred on mentally ill people. Maybe you and other LGBT people should buy a gun to protect yourself instead of relying on my intentions or the words of others. Those will protect your rights better than any university campus will.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Saying "it's the economy, stupid" doesn't say anything about how to address people's problems. Do you focus on improving working conditions in, say, retail jobs? Do you focus on trying to create sinecure manufacturing jobs? Do you emphasize retraining? Do you push for a 6-hour day, a 4-hour day? There are a lot of potential options and just mindlessly rushing into "jobs jobs jobs" without a plan will get you savaged in the news. And we don't have our own Fox and Breitbart, and you could argue we shouldn't.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

For all this talk of political correctness you seem to be projecting a lot of hatred on mentally ill people. Maybe you and other LGBT people should buy a gun to protect yourself instead of relying on my intentions or the words of others. Those will protect your rights better than any university campus will.

Serial killers aren't actually considered to be automatically mentally ill in the sense of having a recognized mental disorder. I guess maybe you could be saying that talking like a loving creepazoid is because you have Narcissistic Personality Disorder or something, which, ah, personality disorders aren't considered pathological by most psychiatrists and psychologists. NPD is just a way of saying you're an rear end in a top hat on a gigantic level.

Gunfucking also isn't a mental disorder, it's something people like you do of your own free will, managing somehow to cram your genitals down a 9mm-wide space.

Brainiac Five fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 28, 2017

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Brainiac Five posted:

Dude, the guy who was suggesting we pander to racists was serious. Seriously stupid, but serious.

And you are letting it slip by by letting people like Mnoba and Dead Cosmonaut post without telling them it'll be ring-a-ding-ding for them if they don't knock off the rightist bunk. In fact, by saying "poo poo on our allies", you are insisting someone who whines about political correctness and calls people t******* is an ally, rather than a liability, a suckerfish, a useless hanger-on.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796651&pagenumber=292&perpage=40#post466268768

Ok I agree Dead Cosmonaut is lovely. I have said this. Him calling someone "tranny" as an insult is unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.

The allies I'm talking about are the Berniebros, whom you keep equating to dipshits like Dead Cosmonaut for *reasons*.

Not all white midwesterners are nazis, and if you told them you are bringing new developments to their communities does not equate to racist pandering, that's just regular pandering. We can do that without adding the conservative "and we will kick out the browns that took your job in the first place!".

And people who use stupid slurs can absolutely be brought around, assuming they are just edgelord/childish and not full on haters. I used "gay" as an insult in middle school and even early high school it would slip sometimes. Does that mean I am forever tainted in being a friend to the LGBTQ community?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Voters are not that stupid. People do, however, want a simple coherent message and that is what Bernie's main appeal was.

No everything must be means tested and weighted and on a grade. All the benefits of Democrats governing must be hidden behind miles and miles of red tape. People love paperwork

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Given the high rate of suicide due to how lovely society is among LGBTQ individuals, telling us to buy a gun is not a good suggestion. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but for future reference buying guns is not a good idea, especially with groups with an already far too high suicide rate.

Also, you're very mad somebody told you not to use a slur huh? Maybe you should reflect on how lovely you feel and how your life is when you realize you're a bigot and grow and self-reflect, rather than pushing slurs and hatred outwards onto people who are different than you. Using slurs and then crying that you don't have a safe space where people will tolerate you kvetching about "trannies," makes you look a dumb, bigoted coward, and I hope you stop inflicting hate on people.

Also, responding to the idea that you are a bigot with violence seems unhealthy for you and the people around you, and I hope you seek help before somebody calls you out again on your bigotry and you react by committing a hate crime.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KomradeX posted:

No everything must be means tested and weighted and on a grade. All the benefits of Democrats governing must be hidden behind miles and miles of red tape. People love paperwork

Man, it sure will be great when we get rid of means-tested bullshit like SSDI and affirmative action! Color-blindness for everyone!

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

Serial killers aren't actually considered to be automatically mentally ill in the sense of having a recognized mental disorder. I guess maybe you could be saying that talking like a loving creepazoid is because you have Narcissistic Personality Disorder or something, which, ah, personality disorders aren't considered pathological by most psychiatrists and psychologists. NPD is just a way of saying you're an rear end in a top hat on a gigantic level.

Gunfucking also isn't a mental disorder, it's something people like you do of your own free will, managing somehow to cram your genitals down a 9mm-wide space.

I don't think you know much about mental disorders or even know when someone as mentally ill. This is just an abuse of armchair psychology.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I don't think you know much about mental disorders or even know when someone as mentally ill. This is just an abuse of armchair psychology.

The level of hatred you seem to possess for the other, while not a recognized mental disorder, surely cannot be healthy, and I urge you to do some self-reflection on your bigotry before you drop slurs, you coward.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

"know when someone as mentally ill"

Beautiful. Marvelous. I'm gonna put that on a t-shirt.

Anyways, dude, maybe you could explain what mental disorder all serial killers have, what mental disorder gunfucking is, how you can fit your private parts down the barrel of a handgun, and whether personality disorders should be pathologized or not.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

stone cold posted:

Given the high rate of suicide due to how lovely society is among LGBTQ individuals, telling us to buy a gun is not a good suggestion. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but for future reference buying guns is not a good idea, especially with groups with an already far too high suicide rate.

Also, you're very mad somebody told you not to use a slur huh? Maybe you should reflect on how lovely you feel and how your life is when you realize you're a bigot and grow and self-reflect, rather than pushing slurs and hatred outwards onto people who are different than you. Using slurs and then crying that you don't have a safe space where people will tolerate you kvetching about "trannies," makes you look a dumb, bigoted coward, and I hope you stop inflicting hate on people.

Also, responding to the idea that you are a bigot with violence seems unhealthy for you and the people around you, and I hope you seek help before somebody calls you out again on your bigotry and you react by committing a hate crime.
I am not mad at all. I know the context in which I had said it.

Neo nazis are going to be out To threaten your life and yet you refuse to fight for it. Don't accuse me of being a coward with that attitude.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Neo nazis are going to be out To threaten your life and yet you refuse to fight for it. Don't accuse me of being a coward with that attitude.

How is a gun going to do anything against the cops except guarantee I get killed? Maybe that's why you suggested I get one.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

"know when someone as mentally ill"

Beautiful. Marvelous. I'm gonna put that on a t-shirt.

Anyways, dude, maybe you could explain what mental disorder all serial killers have, what mental disorder gunfucking is, how you can fit your private parts down the barrel of a handgun, and whether personality disorders should be pathologized or not.

I am not playing armchair psychology with you. No. You do this because you have run out of other arguments.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I am not playing armchair psychology with you. No. You do this because you have run out of other arguments.

I notice your language skills deteriorating by the minute. You must be really, really, angry.

Well, suck it up, buttercup. You decided to say I was wrong, now you refuse to defend that remark, and you're insisting I get myself killed by the police too. You're frankly a real piece of work.

EDIT: I know you must be feeling kind of upset we're not playing by the script where you call us liberal pansies and then we fall down dead, logic'd straight into the nonexistent afterlife, but too bad. You ante'd up, now you play out the hand, or fold.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

If I don't respond to threats and violence with violence, I must be the true coward. Sounds reasonable. Now how do you feel about rape survivors, Holocaust victims, victims of other genocides, and victims of police brutality. Were they also cowards, or are you the coward sitting behind your slurs and screaming that you are the truly virtuous one, you are the noble one?

Were those who protested imperialism and gross racial, religious, gendered, anti-LGBTQ injustices nonviolently also cowards, and does sitting there calling people trannies help fill the empty void inside? Does it make you feel courageous? Do you feel like a really big person when you use slurs and fantasize about shooting people?

Are you really not mad, and do you really genuinely believe there is a context in which calling somebody a tranny makes you courageous, or are you a tiny, sniveling weak little bigoted coward?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

What is your argument for why saying tranny should be acceptable, because thus far, all you've done is repeatedly piss and poo poo in your pants?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

How is a gun going to do anything against the cops except guarantee I get killed? Maybe that's why you suggested I get one.

I am not talking about cops. I am taking about Trump's little hitler youth group.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Man, it sure will be great when we get rid of means-tested bullshit like SSDI and affirmative action! Color-blindness for everyone!

How the gently caress do you make this assumption when the problem is people aren't seeing the benefits of these programs or they are set up to be too hard to actually help people. Like there are people on disability who don't qualify for ACA Medicaid subsidized plans for some goddamn reason. You can have Universal programs as well things like Affirmative Action. What doesn't help is means tested bullshit that cuts off the second you make a penny more than the line says. You know like the part where I said people love paperwork (they actually loving don't and hiding how to apply for Medicaid subsidized plans on the New York State of Health site is all part of that bullshit. Hide the things that people benefit from, because Democrats are idiots that think this is a winning strategy.)

And a double gently caress you for disparaging people with mental health issues while trying to claim some moral high ground

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I am not talking about cops. I am taking about Trump's little hitler youth group.

Those are the same thing. Will you ever answer any of my questions, coward?

I'll boil it down to the important one: why do you think it's acceptable to use a slur against another living human being?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

stone cold posted:

What is your argument for why saying tranny should be acceptable, because thus far, all you've done is repeatedly piss and poo poo in your pants?

I don't I said was right and I will never defend it. I am not a politician. I never discrimated against any minority group in person and never will. I am the least of your worries. Now at least try to get this thread back on track and put me on ignore.

Dead Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 28, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

MOI: *Blazes away like billy-o at the reactionaries, before I am taken into custody and tried for 12 counts of murder and 25 of assault with a deadly weapon. I am sent to the chair.*

KomradeX posted:

How the gently caress do you make this assumption when the problem is people aren't seeing the benefits of these programs or they are set up to be too hard to actually help people. Like there are people on disability who don't qualify for ACA Medicaid subsidized plans for some goddamn reason. You can have Universal programs as well things like Affirmative Action. What doesn't help is means tested bullshit that cuts off the second you make a penny more than the line says. You know like the part where I said people love paperwork (they actually loving don't and hiding how to apply for Medicaid subsidized plans on the New York State of Health site is all part of that bullshit. Hide the things that people benefit from, because Democrats are idiots that think this is a winning strategy.)

And a double gently caress you for disparaging people with mental health issues while trying to claim some moral high ground

Targeted programs need to actually hit their targets, my man. There are gaps, there are areas where things need to be extended, but we need a way to ensure that money for disabled people gets to disabled people specifically, or get rid of any money for disabled people. Anyways, you're too much of a coward to directly defend your buddy and his use of the slur "tranny" so I don't think there's much conversation worth having here because you'll just run like a scared little bunny as soon as things get intellectual.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I don't I said was right and I will never defend it. I am not a optician. I never discrimated against any minority group in person and never will. I am the least of your worries. Now at least try to get this thread back on track.

So why did you say it in the first place? Why don't you say it was wrong to do, instead of saying "I don't I said was right", whatever the gently caress that's supposed to mean? The river has been played, it's the final betting round, and you're showing nothing higher than pair of kings, ace high. I suggest you call carefully.

Brainiac Five fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 28, 2017

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Democrats could push more aggressively for unionizing the service sector, but as we've seen with their tepid reaction to the Fight for Fifteen that ain't gonna happen.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I don't I said was right and I will never defend it. I am not a optician. I never discrimated against any minority group in person and never will. I am the least of your worries. Now at least try to get this thread back on track.

Except you have, by using the word tranny. Have you ever considered simply apologizing and not doubling down on your bigoted cowardice? I genuinely feel like before we can move this thread forward you should confront that bigotry and cowardice, or stop posting. Nobody wants to post in a space where you're gonna slur it up.

Also, this thread should've shut down after the election, lol

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

stone cold posted:

Except you have, by using the word tranny. Have you ever considered simply apologizing and not doubling down on your bigoted cowardice? I genuinely feel like before we can move this thread forward you should confront that bigotry and cowardice, or stop posting. Nobody wants to post in a space where you're gonna slur it up.

Also, this thread should've shut down after the election, lol

We can play his word versus his word all you want. And I said that on election night and was piss drunk since my lab mates are Muslims from Iraq and Iran and I knew they were about to get poo poo end of the stick because someone couldn't run a campaign properly. I spent months earning of a working clas revolt from Clinton only to be told it was never going to happen by the person I was responding to at that particular time. I don't expect anyone to understand my views and I don't necessarily want to invalidate all of theirs either.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

We can play his word versus his word all you want. And I said that on election night and was piss drunk since my lab mates are Muslims from Iraq and Iran and I knew they were about to get poo poo end of the stick because someone couldn't run a campaign properly. I spent months earning of a working clas revolt from Clinton only to be told it was never going to happen by the person I was responding to at that particular time. I don't expect anyone to understand my views and I don't necessarily want to invalidate all of theirs either.

It's not normal to say slurs when you're drunk, Mel Gibson. I mean, you're definitely crytyping or something. "His word versus his word"? "Earning of a working clas revolt from Clinton"? What the hell?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

We define ourselves by how we act in our despair and anger. Me, personally, I had the worst anxiety attack I had had in about a year and vomited. But I didn't call anybody a slur, and then double down by telling LGBTQ people to do something that would probably lead to suicide. I empathize with your lab mates, but not with you, because, again, like a coward, you have not apologized for your bigotry; rather, you have rationalized and excused it. That is not a context in which being a bigot is okay, and I recommend you stop trying to excuse yourself, and do some serious self-reflection and apologize for your slur.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Targeted programs need to actually hit their targets, my man.

They're all gaps though, Democrats design these programs with huge loving gaps. Maybe the idea should be programs that apply to everyone and than special programs on top of those to give oppressed people's a better leg up. Call me crazy but I think that's a better set up than programs that have gaps of tens of millions of people.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Dude. I saw the post. What you said was bigoted and hosed up by any sensible term.

Also your excuse is bullshit. Alcohol doesn't make you suddenly start just randomly spouting out slurs left and right. It just loosens up the gears and makes people not think about what they believe and should say in public before they open their mouths.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KomradeX posted:

They're all gaps though, Democrats design these programs with huge loving gaps. Maybe the idea should be programs that apply to everyone and than special programs on top of those to give oppressed people's a better leg up. Call me crazy but I think that's a better set up than programs that have gaps of tens of millions of people.

Yes the evil Democrats want to torment everyone for no reason beyond sheer maliciousness.

Maybe, my man, we don't have to start with universal programs and then hope that the beneficence of people like you who'll defend your transphobic friend in the most cowardly way possible extends to disabled people. Maybe we can do multiple things at once, instead of fetishizing universalism and pretending there's no need for targeted action.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Archonex posted:

Dude. I saw the post. What you said was bigoted and hosed up by any sensible term.

Also your excuse is bullshit. Alcohol doesn't make you suddenly start just randomly spouting out slurs left and right. It just loosens up the gears and makes people not think about what they believe and should say in public before they open their mouths.

It is. Gentle reminder:

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Get hosed you lying insane tranny

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

KomradeX posted:

As awful as it is that Perez was the pick the conservative wing went with because "Ellison was too far left." The things he has been saying had been giving me hope that just loving maybe he at least learned something useful this past election. Sadly we will have to wait and see.

But now that Party leadership is over maybe the Democrats can actually start organizing against Trump.

Nah man, he was just put in there because he was cool on TTP and Obama made a bunch of phonecalls. He's a cog in the machine, hope is hopeless with that guy.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I haven't followed the DNC chairperson race very closely, but at the very least it seems to have raised Ellison's public profile. It's probably too much to hope for a 2020 Bernie-style vanity run.

At this point I doubt the Democrats get their act together by 2018, especially with the schism between progressives and centrists out in the open (mirrored by the discussion in this terrible thread). I don't see how the Democrats avoid ending up like the UK's Labour party. People hoping Republican hegemony will magically unify the left should look up the farcial Labour leadership election, in the meantime the Tories are preparing to rule for a generation.

To make another international comparison, centrist Democrats would probably like to reproduce the success of the Canadian federal Liberal party achieved in 2015. The Liberals cynically ran with essentially the same platform that destroyed them in 2011, repackaged under an attractive new leader with high name recognition (Trudeau). This was wildly successful, the lesson being that modern politics is so insubstantive that the charisma of the candidate trumps everything. Forget the 3007 county strategy, run Tom Hanks already.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
Dont be fooled by Trudeau, will most likely usher a conservative revolt after he's done with his neoliberal poo poo. Surface charisma only goes so far as Obama showed.

Corbyn is a bit different. I still am on the fence about him. He's probably liable to fall to the left nationalist temptation, we'll see.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

I haven't followed the DNC chairperson race very closely, but at the very least it seems to have raised Ellison's public profile. It's probably too much to hope for a 2020 Bernie-style vanity run.

At this point I doubt the Democrats get their act together by 2018, especially with the schism between progressives and centrists out in the open (mirrored by the discussion in this terrible thread). I don't see how the Democrats avoid ending up like the UK's Labour party. People hoping Republican hegemony will magically unify the left should look up the farcial Labour leadership election, in the meantime the Tories are preparing to rule for a generation.

To make another international comparison, centrist Democrats would probably like to reproduce the success of the Canadian federal Liberal party achieved in 2015. The Liberals cynically ran with essentially the same platform that destroyed them in 2011, repackaged under an attractive new leader with high name recognition (Trudeau). This was wildly successful, the lesson being that modern politics is so insubstantive that the charisma of the candidate trumps everything. Forget the 3007 county strategy, run Tom Hanks already.

Canadian leftists aren't fond of Trudeau though and for good reason. It's great that he's not Harper, but he's not anything special.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

that's not what that word means eff

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

that's not what that word means eff

So are you still going to call me a child molester or was that just meant in good fun, you wretch?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

So are you still going to call me a child molester or was that just meant in good fun, you wretch?

i didn't say you were a child molester, merely that you praised one. draw your own conclusions

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Now we're talkin baby!!!!!

• Locked thread