Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

Man my cat has urine crystals again. This is the third time. The first two were very long ago, close together, and the vet told me to expect him to be dead by 6. I think hes 11 or 12 now. Its gunna cost 1700 for the first 12 hours and 500 per 12 hours till monday to keep him here and at that point id have to go find a vet to remove the catheter because the emergency place will be closed. I cant afford that. The vets giving him a good clean of his bladder and painkillers. I think this is the last night I get with my cat. Ive had this guy since he could fit in my baby shoes. I was 10ish, and hed sleep with me in bed, no bigger than my fist. I fed him milk and taught him to eat solid food. I loving love this cat.

Hes a real shithead, always biting me cause he thinks its funny, always bullying the other cats. But he loves me so drat much. He sits outside my room when the doors shut just to see me when i come out. He sits on a neck like a scarf. I cant sit on the couch without receiving a full wash down regardless of how much I tell him no.

The worst part of this is he told me stress can trigger this. I just spent a week away. I feel horrible. Ive been expecting to lose him for the last year or so and I've just realised I have very few photos of him. I love you dash.

E: this cat is the reason I am alive. There were several times i had a rope or a knife and was ready to go and he came to me. And i might be responsible for this and i cant save him. Its all the money i have to my name.

I don't suppose there is the possibility of payments over time combined with a gofundme page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Update: The cats have left under the bed but are now sitting silently on opposite sides of the living room until one of them moves, then the hissing starts back up.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

underage at the vape shop posted:

Man my cat has urine crystals again. This is the third time. The first two were very long ago, close together, and the vet told me to expect him to be dead by 6. I think hes 11 or 12 now. Its gunna cost 1700 for the first 12 hours and 500 per 12 hours till monday to keep him here and at that point id have to go find a vet to remove the catheter because the emergency place will be closed. I cant afford that. The vets giving him a good clean of his bladder and painkillers. I think this is the last night I get with my cat. Ive had this guy since he could fit in my baby shoes. I was 10ish, and hed sleep with me in bed, no bigger than my fist. I fed him milk and taught him to eat solid food. I loving love this cat.

Hes a real shithead, always biting me cause he thinks its funny, always bullying the other cats. But he loves me so drat much. He sits outside my room when the doors shut just to see me when i come out. He sits on a neck like a scarf. I cant sit on the couch without receiving a full wash down regardless of how much I tell him no.

The worst part of this is he told me stress can trigger this. I just spent a week away. I feel horrible. Ive been expecting to lose him for the last year or so and I've just realised I have very few photos of him. I love you dash.

E: this cat is the reason I am alive. There were several times i had a rope or a knife and was ready to go and he came to me. And i might be responsible for this and i cant save him. Its all the money i have to my name.

FWIW, crystals/blockages can be triggered by a number of things, some aren't really clear. My cat was on a 100% prescription diet (including treats) and lives a nice boring normal cat life, he still got blocked twice within 2 months recently. Don't blame yourself. :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hi cat thread! BFC mod pig slut lisa is currently organizing a "forums top dog" contest where users submit pictures of their favorite dogs and then, eventually, one is crowned dog king of the forums, or something. There are plenty of dogs to go around but frankly I think a forums top cat might be the way to go. If anybody wants to participate our nomination thread is stickied here in PI, and also linked below:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811379

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is there a consensus on teaching cats to use the toilet as their litter box? Seems like a very attractive idea if feasible

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pros:
-No cleaning up litter or buying litter
-revenue from posting videos of your kitty on youtube

Cons
-infecting sealife with toxoplasmosis
-if the toilet is occupied the cat may poop in the sink/pile of clothes etc
-training is messy and takes a long time
-cat may be too dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr357ipXWiw

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Spikes32 posted:

Is there a consensus on teaching cats to use the toilet as their litter box? Seems like a very attractive idea if feasible

From what I understand, lots of cats have trouble distinguishing the sink from the toilet. If you don't mind cat poo poo in the sink, maybe this is for you.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Don't think I ever updated this thread so just letting you all know everything's gone completely back to normal over here, Pepper got over being offended and Peridot got over yelling at every object in the house individually.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How long did that take? Mine are still spending hours having staring contests where the first to move gets hissed at.

Domino clawed me in the face when I tried to pet him while he sat on the cat tree. Fucker.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The new kid Raja is adapting pretty well, she's finally allowed to go outside after a month. She got "stuck" in the neighbours chicken enclosure, Cleo went on a daredevil rescue mission walking on top of a whole bunch of fences to show her how to get back to our yard.

Then in the evening when we were going to bed, Raja nuzzles Cleo, Cleo gives her a few licks and as Raja stands back up she's chased off the bed. They got a bond, but Raja isn't allowed to do something if her adoptive mom doesn't feel like it.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

When should I worry about my cat vomiting up food multiple times? She's puked one a day for the past 3 days, but otherwise is still eating/drinking/peeing/pooping/behaving normally. The first incident had a big hairball in addition to food, which I had been expecting for a while as it was really warm last week and she was starting to shed like crazy. Could her stomach still be upset from that?

She did this last summer too; she threw up food every day for nearly a week, then after paying the vet for a checkup and lab tests, she instantly went back to normal without any treatment. She's eating the same food as always, Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and Skin (dry food only, I've tried nearly every brand/flavor combo of wet food and she turns it down every time). She also seems to be holding down some of her food; maybe a third, half of it at the absolute most is coming back up.

Photo of the lil puker:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

is she eating too fast? sometimes Momo will get VERY EXCITED about dinner time and then hork it back up shortly after eating because he's an idiot who doesn't chew his food

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
I put Advantage II on my cat last night and suddenly there's fleas everywhere (I hadn't seen one in weeks
But this morning I've seen like five)

Did they all decide to jump ship or something?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Super Librarian posted:

When should I worry about my cat vomiting up food multiple times? She's puked one a day for the past 3 days, but otherwise is still eating/drinking/peeing/pooping/behaving normally. The first incident had a big hairball in addition to food, which I had been expecting for a while as it was really warm last week and she was starting to shed like crazy. Could her stomach still be upset from that?

She did this last summer too; she threw up food every day for nearly a week, then after paying the vet for a checkup and lab tests, she instantly went back to normal without any treatment. She's eating the same food as always, Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and Skin (dry food only, I've tried nearly every brand/flavor combo of wet food and she turns it down every time). She also seems to be holding down some of her food; maybe a third, half of it at the absolute most is coming back up.

Photo of the lil puker:

Yeah my cat pukes up a bit when it's shedding season. Try a hairball food additive or formula to feed to your cat.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah my cat pukes up a bit when it's shedding season. Try a hairball food additive or formula to feed to your cat.

Brushing helped keep the puking down in our situation. It still happens but it's not nearly as frequent as it used to be.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm looking for a little guidance about what to do with my current cat, 4 years old. I had adopted him and another cat when they were very young (but not from the same litter), and have always been together until a couple of days ago when one of them unexpectedly passed away, and I want to know if there's any behavioral changes that I should be looking for with the one still with me. My other cat was a frequent target for his excess energy but they otherwise got along extremely well. However, I'm a little concerned because, as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem like he acknowledges that his friend isn't around anymore.

While he's definitely gotten a lot more clingy with me (because I'm now the only other one he can interact with for attention on demand), it's almost like he doesn't even know there was ever another cat that he's lived with for his entire life. I don't know if this is fine, abnormal, or if I'm just trying to project some of my own emotions on him, since I've been struggling to deal with this over the past two days. I'm not planning on rushing out and trying to adopt a "replacement" cat, because that definitely wouldn't be healthy for me at this time and I also wouldn't want to add any stress to him if he actually does know something's wrong and I'm just not picking it up. I even showed him her body, thinking that might prompt some reaction, but he just walked away and got distracted by the prospect of food just seconds after smelling her. Honestly I don't even know why I thought that would accomplish anything, but it's been hard to think clearly about anything for now.

He's still eating and using the litter box normally. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should watch for during this time, and whether anything's wrong if I don't see what looks like sad behavior.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cyberventurer posted:

I'm looking for a little guidance about what to do with my current cat, 4 years old. I had adopted him and another cat when they were very young (but not from the same litter), and have always been together until a couple of days ago when one of them unexpectedly passed away, and I want to know if there's any behavioral changes that I should be looking for with the one still with me. My other cat was a frequent target for his excess energy but they otherwise got along extremely well. However, I'm a little concerned because, as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem like he acknowledges that his friend isn't around anymore.

While he's definitely gotten a lot more clingy with me (because I'm now the only other one he can interact with for attention on demand), it's almost like he doesn't even know there was ever another cat that he's lived with for his entire life. I don't know if this is fine, abnormal, or if I'm just trying to project some of my own emotions on him, since I've been struggling to deal with this over the past two days. I'm not planning on rushing out and trying to adopt a "replacement" cat, because that definitely wouldn't be healthy for me at this time and I also wouldn't want to add any stress to him if he actually does know something's wrong and I'm just not picking it up. I even showed him her body, thinking that might prompt some reaction, but he just walked away and got distracted by the prospect of food just seconds after smelling her. Honestly I don't even know why I thought that would accomplish anything, but it's been hard to think clearly about anything for now.

He's still eating and using the litter box normally. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should watch for during this time, and whether anything's wrong if I don't see what looks like sad behavior.

Cats can react in a lot of ways to losing a cat. Were they actually a bonded pair, or were they just coexisting cats? When we lost our guy a couple of years ago, our other cat got clingier but didn't really react much otherwise; those two weren't bonded, though, and more coexisted with each other. I think cats who aren't bonded pairs can get over losing each other fairly quickly.

Really, the problem is that cats don't process grief like humans, and it's very hard to tell how they do, because weird animal minds. As long as he's continuing his habits and taking care of himself, I wouldn't worry about him.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cats just react differently to losing another cat, its entirely possible they weren't a bonded pair, they just co-existed and didn't hate each other, I've had that happen with almost all my cats that hung out together, all but one who lost her friend and never recovered from it, she grew skinny, lethargic and passed shortly after, tests at the vet when she was alive showed there was nothing wrong, she was just heart broken.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I suppose they did just co-exist. They were friendly enough toward each other but their attention was/is almost always focused on me. I guess I just assumed they were closer than they actually were, but maybe it's a good thing that he appears to be taking it rather well. I'll still keep an eye on his behavior but if this isn't stressing him out, that's one less thing for me to be concerned about. Thanks for the replies.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Len posted:

How long did that take? Mine are still spending hours having staring contests where the first to move gets hissed at.

Domino clawed me in the face when I tried to pet him while he sat on the cat tree. Fucker.

The first time it took them a few months, but that took longer than it otherwise would have because Peridot was terrified of me and the other humans in the house and the strange house in general so she spent a couple of months hiding. This time it took maybe a couple of weeks, but I don't know how much of that was accelerated because of Pepper getting over herself and realising that Peridot was the same cat as before she escaped the house. I spent a lot of time taking videos of them when they were first learning to deal with each other so you can kind of see the timeline here.

Generally speaking it usually takes a few months and I think it's probably easiest when you have two cats who are scared of confronting each other and just need to learn that the other one doesn't mean them any harm, which is what it sounds like you have.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
We bought my almost-2-year-old daughter a mini Hello Kitty saucer chair. Perdy has decided that it's hers now and once the kids go to bed and Perdy has her wet food for the night, she curls up in the chair and takes a bath.

She also likes to stand guard at Kai's (the guinea pig) cage. If he starts sniffing at her, she sticks her paw through and boops him. No claws, just a boop! She also boops Zuba or Avery (the buns) if they're around her. She is just the sweetest, most innocent little thing and it's horrifying to me that some tomcat got her with child not even 6 months ago.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Walked into the spare room last night looking for the (suspiciously quiet) cats. Onca was curled up sleeping on a clean blanket my boyfriend forgot to put away, and Pan was... well.

That's the top of a ~2m tall bookcase, with nothing nearby she could have jumped from. I have no idea how she made it up there. Cats.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cats can make some impressive vertical leaps.

I had one that could rocket a solid 8 feet up.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone have reccomendations for good automatic cat feeders? I'm looking for one that can be hooked up to an outlet, and ideally feed at 1/8th of a cup measurements. Bonus points if the cat can't stick their paw into the chute to get more. This is what I've found on amazon, any other options you know of?

https://www.amazon.com/HoneyGuarida...ords=cat+feeder

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Vet just suggested something I'd never thought of. Regarding cleaning their teeth, she suggested using a gauze pad instead of the kitty tooth brushes. it actually worked super well cause i could reach all the teeth (even the inside!) and it seemed more effective than a brush, and the cats actually tolerated (as much as a cat can tolerate lol). Maybe this advice will help you all.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spikes32 posted:

Anyone have reccomendations for good automatic cat feeders? I'm looking for one that can be hooked up to an outlet, and ideally feed at 1/8th of a cup measurements. Bonus points if the cat can't stick their paw into the chute to get more. This is what I've found on amazon, any other options you know of?

https://www.amazon.com/HoneyGuarida...ords=cat+feeder

I have a pair of those. They don't have AC adapters. but other than that, they're very reliable and work, and all of the programming features are built into the unit. Could use a slightly larger reservoir, it's not that big of a deal.

The ones we used before were https://www.amazon.com/WOpet-Automa...&keywords=wopet, which did have AC adapters, but also super lovely chinese design that required a smartphone app to do any programming, no way to remove settings you put in, an inability to actually connect to the phone/wifi approximately 19/20 times, and constantly managed to lose time somehow. By the time I gave up, the feedings had been pushed back about 12 hours from the ones I actually set up.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Cats can make some impressive vertical leaps.

I had one that could rocket a solid 8 feet up.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I have no idea how she got up there without alerting the entire house, considering she normally barges around like three elephants in an egg-and-spoon race.

At least there's nothing up there for her to destroy, unlike the top of the bathroom cupboard.

I look forward to her calming down... in 16-18 years. Until then, time-outs will have to do:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Why do you have a noodle for a cat

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Sociopastry posted:

Why do you have a noodle for a cat

A baby noodle with bat ears and snowshoe paws and kneading claws.

:kimchi:

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011
My noddle cat figured out to get on the kitchen cupboards by using a box on the refrigerator:

After getting all the kitten energy out for the day:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The hissing has stopped. Domino now sees the Jellybean as a possible toy and tries to play except she's 6ish instead of a little over 1 and wants none of this shenanigans.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I feel like I'm going to pop and I don't know how much of this is a legitimate cat question or just me wanting to E/N up a tangential topic, but I just can't get this out of my head because I feel responsible for my cat's death three days ago.

I suppose it started (I thought) about 3 weeks ago, when my family got extremely sick from a flu. We were laid out for an entire week before we started feeling well enough to get out of bed for long periods of time, and toward the end of it we noticed that she had started sneezing a lot, with the occasional huge clear booger. We stupidly thought that maybe we had some kind of bacterial infection and it passed to her, so we took her down to a local vet for a check up. He said we couldn't have given her anything, and it would be weird if she did get sick since both of my cats are indoor-only, but just in case he gave her an antibiotic and sent us home. Shortly afterward, the sneezing stopped and we thought she was getting better.

Until last Saturday, around noon, when she climbed into my lap and I realized something felt off; I could feel that she was breathing a little harder than normal and unusually fast (almost twice per second). Our vet wasn't open on the weekends so we weren't sure what to do, and I didn't think to google her symptoms (Tachypnea) until later that night. I thought some of the more dire-sounding causes were just me being paranoid because she had already been checked a couple of weeks ago and we were told she looked fine. But by then, her breathing had slowed down so we thought she was getting better. But the next morning, I saw that her breathing had quickened again so we looked up an emergency animal clinic and took her there right away.

When we got her there, doctors took her into the back immediately, and less than 10 minutes later someone came out and told us that she had a heart attack on the table and they were trying to perform CPR to resuscitate her. They kept trying but there was nothing they could do. An X-Ray showed that she had fluid in her lungs and around her heart, which was enlarged. We were told that it must have been a condition she was born with, which makes me feel even more responsible because that means it was something she had for over 4 years and not once did I ever think to get her checked out thoroughly enough, and if I had known before, then maybe I could have taken better care of her and she'd still be with us today.

I feel like I need some kind of closure about all of this, and that I want someone to blame for it even if it's myself. Was this something we could have treated if I knew about it earlier? Could she have still had a long and healthy life? Should the first vet have investigated her breathing and caught it? Did I kill her by waiting until the next day to take her to the emergency room? She was the most trusting pet I've ever seen, and nothing seemed to make her happier as long as she could be around and look at me. And I feel like I betrayed her trust somehow, and I still see the image of her loving stare every time I close my eyes and it's been destroying me ever since.

I feel like I need an outsider's perspective of how much of this was my fault, if I was being an incompetent caretaker. Because I know I can't get an unbiased answer from my family. :(

Edit: I can blank this out if it's not appropriate and too morbid for the thread.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 1, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Generally sneezing and clear boogers is a sign of an allergy but nothing serious, its when they're green or yellow that you have an infection.

Cats are scary good at hiding when they're sick and detecting birth defects is nigh impossible so unless you plan to get a full check up of every single aspect of your cat or future cats its not possible what they came with, I've had one die out of the blue as a kitten from a stroke, nothing prior to it happening, currently I have one with a birth defect in his nasal area which made them smaller than they should so everything affects him and I live in a horrible 3rd world country where the air quality is abysmal, but he hangs in there and I do what I can with a purifier.

Not much you can do really, you're not psychic to be able to tell that stuff just from a glance.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Survivor's Guilt: The Thread.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It is not your fault. You are a good person for taking kitty in and giving it the most comfortable, happy and loved life you could.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, there's no routine vet scan for something like an enlarged heart, and you can't be blamed for not having your cat X-rayed "just in case" (which would probably be an unkind thing to do on aggregate, given that most cats don't have any birth defects and don't want to undergo vet procedures). You're not an incompetent caretaker, and it sounds like you did all you could for your cat. I'm sorry for your loss, and please don't feel guilty about it.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Thanks again for the replies. I don't know if Hyperlynx was being sarcastic or not but I decided to google that to see how it would apply and I read some stuff about guilt and grief over pet loss and I think it actually helped me a lot, too. Sometimes bad poo poo just happens to good pets and while she deserved a full life, I do believe that I gave her the best one possible with the time we did have with her. And I still have a little guy who needs love too. :unsmith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cyberventurer posted:

Thanks again for the replies. I don't know if Hyperlynx was being sarcastic or not but I decided to google that to see how it would apply and I read some stuff about guilt and grief over pet loss and I think it actually helped me a lot, too. Sometimes bad poo poo just happens to good pets and while she deserved a full life, I do believe that I gave her the best one possible with the time we did have with her. And I still have a little guy who needs love too. :unsmith:

Go look for my posts in the butterscotch thread, I've posted a lot about loss and dealing with it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Cyberventurer posted:

Wry, but not sarcastic. There're been a bunch of us in this thread, in your shoes, feeling near the same way. So let me repeat the advice that was given to me: you gave that cat their best life, and thank you so much for doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Wry, but not sarcastic. There're been a bunch of us in this thread, in your shoes, feeling near the same way. So let me repeat the advice that was given to me: you gave that cat their best life, and thank you so much for doing that.

Pretty much. I did feel like a bit of a jerk that you might take it the wrong way, though.

I agree with everyone else. You did the best you could, you gave your friend a loving home and the best life they could hope for. You did nothing wrong, and as I probably too wryly implied, feeling guilty is not uncommon at all.

I'm pleased it helped, though :unsmith: