Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
It's interesting how people complain about ME3 but seems to be totally fine with that silly gigantic, alien-human-skeleton thing from the end of ME2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Milky Moor posted:

The Tempest is a ridiculously ugly ship.

It could look like a flying garbage truck for all I care. As long as there are no loading screens between decks(as they've promised) I'm happy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pigbottom posted:

It's interesting how people complain about ME3 but seems to be totally fine with that silly gigantic, alien-human-skeleton thing from the end of ME2.

Lots of people have complained about that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Milky Moor posted:

not anymore!

No matter what else I've said in this thread, and I've said a lot of things, this is actually my number one issue with the ME series as it stands.

I really liked how ME1 did biotics and tech. I liked how biotics were powerful but limited. You could make someone lighter, shove them around, do a barrier which could just be slowing object velocity as they got closer to you, all that kind of thing that felt like extensions of the same basic idea, that of being able to fiddle with gravity and mass. Tech was all hacking and making people's guns overload and stuff. Now, I'm not saying it was particularly fun or neat to look at, but it felt unique and 'grounded'. I think the Codex and Kaidan pointed out that doing even those simple biotic things took a ton of energy and effort to do.

Then ME2 comes out and you can use your omni-tool to freeze people or blow them up or summon a holographic drone that can somehow still hurt people and biotics basically become magic with stuff like Charge and Nova with their big blue teleporting explosions. And then ME3 doubles down on all that and gives Shepard an energy punch-sword and, okay, sure, whatever, guys.

Bioware has never really been good at "grounded". Oh sure they'll try to keep things low key for a game or two (see Dragon Age) but inevitably they'll be unable to help themselves, throw caution to the wind and go More Fantastical and More Save The World (Galaxy).

Pigbottom posted:

What universe are you living in where that wasn't complained about by basically everyone

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Then ME2 comes out and you can use your omni-tool to freeze people or blow them up or summon a holographic drone that can somehow still hurt people and biotics basically become magic with stuff like Charge and Nova with their big blue teleporting explosions. And then ME3 doubles down on all that and gives Shepard an energy punch-sword and, okay, sure, whatever, guys.

I get what you're trying to say but this is a video game and this kind of poo poo is far more fun when you're actually playing it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yeah I didn't care much for the proto-reaper either but it was sort of explained why that existed in 3.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah I didn't care much for the proto-reaper either but it was sort of explained why that existed in 3.

That doesn't make it not dumb.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dr. Stab posted:

That doesn't make it not dumb.

And I'm not saying it wasn't.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Baron Corbyn posted:

I get what you're trying to say but this is a video game and this kind of poo poo is far more fun when you're actually playing it.

Yeah, definitely. I think the changes they made, including the heat sinks, were really good for the gameplay and certainly made biotics and tech more fun to play and interesting to watch.

Meanwhile, the giant Terminator baby Reaper owned, what is wrong with you all

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I liked the baby Reaper. If I had my way more things in this series would look like Gradius bosses.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The sludge-terminator-fetus was a neat change of pace for the end of the suicide mission. ME needs more bosses that aren't just tougher soldiers or vehicles.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Pigbottom posted:

Not everyone grew up loving Megadeth album covers. And it's not okay

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Friendly Fire posted:

It could look like a flying garbage truck for all I care. As long as there are no loading screens between decks(as they've promised) I'm happy.

a flying garbage truck would be pretty sick imo. especially if the main gun was just your ship running into other, flimsier ships.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Terminator baby was retarded. I don't mind big rear end bosses but that boss was dumb

It's this huge loving monstrosity playing peekaboo with the player

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Drifter posted:

She has very masculine features, like 5-o'clock shadow and a square, rugged chin.

Also, for some reason combined with everything, her cheeks and upper lip area looks very mannish. I guess it is because she has no dimples.

4 out of 10, will likely regretfully bang.

Your asari waifu is gratified by your response

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You can't complain about the tempest if you weren't vomiting at the sight of everyone wearing iphone cases in Mass Effect 1

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pacra posted:

Your asari waifu is gratified by your response

Someone talented make this so her face splits apart after a second into a lamprey mouth like one of those super vampires from Blade 2.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Basic Chunnel posted:

You can't complain about the tempest if you weren't vomiting at the sight of everyone wearing iphone cases in Mass Effect 1

If you think I need a reason to complain I got news for you.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I just realized that while I didn't actually have this game in mind when I booked the entire month of April off... good timing, me.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Fade in, Bioware Studios: A person sits behind a desk, while two other people watch him mashing a barbie doll painted blue into a ken doll with the word "BISEXUAL" written on its chest.

"MAKE IT THIS" the masher screams, over and over.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/Jacbros/status/836496884403474433

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Biotics.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Milky Moor posted:

Meanwhile, the giant Terminator baby Reaper owned, what is wrong with you all

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

When I first played ME2, I found the Reaper Baby dumb, but overtime I've grown to kind of love it for how ridiculous it was.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I must say, I've quite enjoyed Bioware's stock answer of "Oh, yeah, we're gonna fix that" whenever we see the lovely animation.

Like, just man up and say "lol we've hit our skill limits on the animations".

C'mon Bioware, you're not fooling anybody.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

This is the worst thing

edit: wait no this is

https://twitter.com/megaloltaku/status/836512851208482817

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

looking forward to the sidequests where Ryder becomes a pro wrestler.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Meanwhile, in the Witcher 3, a game from early 2015, made for $4 by a bunch of Slavs

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Meanwhile, in the Witcher 3, a game from early 2015, made for $4 by a bunch of Slavs

It had like an $80m budget but yes they animated things in a magnificent way that puts this poo poo to shame.

E: apparently ME3 cost $45m to make because bioware are loving cheapskates that won't make new animations.

JBP fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 28, 2017

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Actually, witcher 3 had half more again than ME3's 40 million budget.

Still EA should have had the talent to leverage that 40 million, and they just didn't, in so many ways.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah The Witcher 3 had a shitload of money put into it and was also developed for a later generation of consoles than ME3.

Doesn't excuse some of the sloppiness with Andromeda though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Bioware has always had bad animations and I don't really understand why at this point. Did they just keep the same core of animators who, for some reason, never developed their craft? Or is their work schedule so poorly managed that they simply can not create good animations in time for launch, even though they have had half a decade to work on this poo poo by now?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah The Witcher 3 had a shitload of money put into it and was also developed for a later generation of consoles than ME3.

Doesn't excuse some of the sloppiness with Andromeda though.

They know another 4 months on animations and another $10m won't ship extra units because people are going to buy it anyway so they can get their bioware mutant sex fix. A lot of people itt have preordered which boggles my mind.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The past four or five bioware games had trash animation that's rivalled by Bethesda so I can't say I'm surprised, but also: lmao.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
ME1's animations and cinematography were pretty good for the time. I was certainly drawn in to the game because of the pre-release videos. Unfortunately, it seems like they've slipped a bit since then. Too little time, losing too much talent, or unable to keep improving and keep pace with the market - whatever the cause, the result is some good animations/framing with a lot of janky ones.

Also, yes - The Witcher III is a generation-defining title.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

isk posted:

ME1's animations and cinematography were pretty good for the time. I was certainly drawn in to the game because of the pre-release videos. Unfortunately, it seems like they've slipped a bit since then. Too little time, losing too much talent, or unable to keep improving and keep pace with the market - whatever the cause, the result is some good animations/framing with a lot of janky ones.

Also, yes - The Witcher III is a generation-defining title.

They used to be at the forefront of "cinematic gaming" (for better or worse).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The ME animation budget was spent on more important things like breast physics for the sex scenes and (if bioware are progressive enough) dong physics.

The rest of the game is just a framework to hang their dating simulator on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I quite like the Tempest, it's nicely sleek and fits with the ME aesthetic. But... every time the Tempest lands, the ramp opens because that's part of the landing gear? That seems less than secure.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I quite like the Tempest, it's nicely sleek and fits with the ME aesthetic. But... every time the Tempest lands, the ramp opens because that's part of the landing gear? That seems less than secure.

I like how the wings aren't aligned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

McGiggins posted:

Actually, witcher 3 had half more again than ME3's 40 million budget.

Still EA should have had the talent to leverage that 40 million, and they just didn't, in so many ways.

More like the Xbox 360 didn't have the memory to handle them anyway, why bother. Reminder, this was the game that lost the holster animation because of memory concerns.