Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

Will these orders mean your MGs will not move while they can still engage? Because I am somewhat iffy on having them run around right now.

The default behaviour of MGs is to not move and start shooting any time something is in range, so that's what I'm working off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
77th Bde Orders

Vacate your trenches and get onto the Saint Croissant road in marching order heading south/southwest as fast as possible.
Leave the road before you get to the town and continue overland, bearing southwest. Try to avoid Bois de Goonville and the farm Fraise-Champs. Our aim is speed.
Form up into battle order once you get level with the farm.
Continue onto Dej, behind the 78th.

Same battle order as before: infantry in front, machine guns in back, big guns behind that.

(front = top of picture)

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, halt and fire on them.
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire.
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, hold position
Break off automatically upon receiving 1/2 casualties.
If flanked, refuse the line and fire at the people firing on you.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 28, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HEY GAIL posted:

77th Bde Orders

Vacate your trenches and get onto the Saint Croissant road in marching order heading south/southwest as fast as possible.
Leave the road before you get to the town and continue overland, bearing south. Try to avoid Bois de Goonville and the farm Fraise-Champs. Our aim is speed.
Form up into battle order once you get level with the farm.
Continue until you meet up with the 78th. Reinforce them against an attack from the south.

Same battle order as before: infantry in front, machine guns in back, big guns behind that.

(front = top of picture)

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, halt and fire on them.
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire.
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, hold position
Break off automatically upon receiving 1/2 casualties.
If flanked, refuse the line and fire at the people firing on you.

Stay out of the valley between the ridges, it's under enemy artillery fire. You'll be better off just going straight onto Dej.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tevery Best posted:

Stay out of the valley between the ridges, it's under enemy artillery fire. You'll be better off just going straight onto Dej.
Gotcha.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So, another thought: even if I just fall back to the trenches Hegel's leaving, I should probably wait until nightfall or at least until hill spotting goes away to do so, because that way the French can't be sure that I've actually left Baguette.

And I'll probably want to leave one company in Baguette anyway to serve as a picket.

Come to think of it, picket duty is probably what Saros should do with his brigade at this point; send each of his infantry companies out to a likely line of approach, with an MG attached to each, to warn us if the French are coming and force them to open fire (thus exposing themselves for our artillery).

Might even be worth it to call in an artillery brigade rather than an infantry one and then use my guys as pickets too.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I only have one mg, 3 inf and a trench mortar left but you're probably right pickets is the best use.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The Sandman posted:

So, another thought: even if I just fall back to the trenches Hegel's leaving, I should probably wait until nightfall or at least until hill spotting goes away to do so, because that way the French can't be sure that I've actually left Baguette.

And I'll probably want to leave one company in Baguette anyway to serve as a picket.

Come to think of it, picket duty is probably what Saros should do with his brigade at this point; send each of his infantry companies out to a likely line of approach, with an MG attached to each, to warn us if the French are coming and force them to open fire (thus exposing themselves for our artillery).

Might even be worth it to call in an artillery brigade rather than an infantry one and then use my guys as pickets too.

Smart move, I approve. We only have less than an hour until deadline, though, and hill spotting disappears in 3 turns. We shouldn't wait until complete darkness - too much of a chance you get lost on the march or something.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
In that case, provisional orders: In three turns, move out of the northwest corner of Baguette and move to take up position in the trenches Hegel is vacating atop Pasteur.

Never mind, staying in Baguette. Owing to work Internet blocking loving everything, specific formation will be posted by steinrokkan or Tevery, or in extremis will be on the Orders map in Roll20.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 27, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ooo, I rather like this little shuffle. They see HEGEL vacating the trenches, then they DON'T see them getting refilled. I hope they try an attack so we can read all the wonderful confusion once this is over.

E: My orders are finalized, but through editing the old post. Is that ok or should I make a new one?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 27, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Ooo, I rather like this little shuffle. They see HEGEL vacating the trenches, then they DON'T see them getting refilled. I hope they try an attack so we can read all the wonderful confusion once this is over.

E: My orders are finalized, but through editing the old post. Is that ok or should I make a new one?

Editing the old post should be fine as long as it's marked as a proper orders post. Put a link to it in the sheet to make Trin's life easier.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
ORDERS ON BEHALF OF DER SANDMAN who is currently indisposed
Take up position as shown in eastern Baguette and the eastern Outskirts, do not fire unless fired upon, await new orders at nightfall.

After 1930 dispatch one company from the westernmost end of the formation and the regimental mortars to leave the town along the road leading west.
After leaving town, steer to the southern forest, and position the company at the very western extreme of it, so it can see out to the south and west as much as possible while staying in concealment.
Position the mortars slightly above the forest, on a line connecting the western edge of town and the western edge of the forest.

Break off after 1/3 casualties and head for the nearest unoccupied trenches (where Hegel was)

Please consult our Roll 20's orders page for precise positioning and path of movement if it wouldn't be too much of a bother. Sorry for posting orders in such a ramshackle format.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 27, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm continuing to quietly link all orders posts but commanders should double-check in case Major Wedeln gets some wires crossed.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Can I play as Major Wedeln next time around?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

4th Bde

4th Bde remnants are to take up positions in the vacated trenches on Pasteur ridge, the TM where the T is and the MG where the M is. X are infantry positions. Make sure the TM and MG are in trenches but the infantry can start to dig new ones where necessary. Brigade command is to move to take the trench space now unoccupied to its south.

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue
Never break off.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 27, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm continuing to quietly link all orders posts but commanders should double-check in case Major Wedeln gets some wires crossed.

Major Wedeln is a Good Boy and will not get any wires crossed

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Have we had the spotter plane go back up and toss a few thousand copies of our latest work of art over the side yet?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Införm them thät they are to sürrender or we shall taunt them a secönd time

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z314pQhLb2Q

Turn 22: 1730
German initiative

The first thing that happens this half-hour is irritating; TheSandman has given invalid orders. Companies on Defend stance must not move. There are a few exceptions, and brigaded cavalry can do whatever; but the order to send a lone company into the Bois is invalid. I flip a coin to decide whether it moves while it's allowed to, as everyone else switches to Attack stance to reposition, or just stays where it is; it makes a break for it, and dodges the French artillery fire successfully.

Oberst Hegel gets his blokes on the move again, with much grumbling as they realise they're about to go where they were originally supposed to.

The 76th mostly forms up in Quatreprouts.

And the runner looks out of the Bois de Bacon at the scene on Dejeuner Ridge.

The situation looks exceptionally grim for the French, on the face of it. However. Your 10cm howitzers are in the process of unlimbering, and can't fire. The 15cm howitzers are still trundling gently into place. And then there's that charging French infantry brigade; it's put them close enough to the German machine guns to draw the MGs' fire away from the cavalry. And third, the positioning of your infantry is such that everyone's screening each other from the horses. The only companies with clear shots are ones who moved first, with initiative, and who consequently moved 8", seeing no targets, and made themselves ineligible to use rifle fire this turn.

What this means, in short, is that the cavalry charge succeeds unopposed and there will be a close combat phase.

But first. Your MGs open fire. It is said that greater love hath no man than this; that he should lay down his life for his friends. Well, that's the enemy infantry's job, and they do it well enough. They then make a morale check and fail, retreating suppressed next turn.

But your gunners...your gunners have been caught unlimbering. And I've been mentioning from time to time how deadly bayonet charges are, and how cavalry charges are like that on steroids, if they can survive long enough to get to contact. How deadly? This deadly.

Two howitzer batteries are ruined and another bravely runs away, retreating suppressed. And that's just one cavalry company's work. Now the General is going to get in on the action!

He scorns the bombs of a single mortar battery, brushes off the fire from the 78th's brigade commander, and scatters your 15cm howitzers as his comrades did their 10cm friends.

And there's still three more turns to go, for God's sake. This is just utterly ludicrous. Surely they can't survive the six o'clock hour.

Turn 23: 1800
French initiative

Oberst Hegel is on his way, but by the look of things, he might be too late to do anything at all about this.

Here's the creme de la crap for you: that sneaky French reinforcement brigade needed to roll as well as it possibly could to change its orders, and then it did. So it emerged from its trenches and now finds itself in an ideal position to sweep up the fleeing howitzers! I quietly sidle off to change the changing-your-orders rules for the 13th time.

Many of them had to take their full movement to get into range, but a few rifle companies open fire, and they make their shots count.

The BEF charges forward at the 76th's FKs, again catching them unlimbering!

Their comrades' rifle fire proves telling, with an MG kill and suppression and from behind them, a French 155cm howitzer roars into life, dwarfing all the other gun reports, and suppressing an FK with the greatest of ease.

The French cavalry general, now alone, continues his earlier performance, carving through limbered guns like he's Theoden at Helm's Deep, and your best efforts to make him into Theoden on the Pelennor Fields go entirely unrewarded.

At this point I swear very loudly, having noticed that their cav actually had *three* companies left, and one of them got switched off because you couldn't see it end of T21, and didn't get switched on again when I came to run Turn 22. I quickly retrace the path it would have taken and am pretty sure no German would ever have had a shot at it (or if they did, they would have rolled badly anyway), so I drop it into place charging the FKs.

Turns out that right-hand gun battery is capable of rolling well enough to resist French cav as well as British infantry. It's slim comfort, though. And we've still two turns to run.

Turn 24: 1830
German initiative

Oberst Hegel sings a jaunty song as he prepares once again to march forward over the bodies of his comrades.

The men in Quatreprouts have been tantalisingly out of range of most of this insanity, but now the BEF is coming too close as it tries to sweep up the guns.

North of Dejeuner, one of your 15cm batteries tries to flee for the town but is immediately smashed to bits by 75mm fire. On the south slopes, your FKs finally unlimber and open fire in self-defence, but there are now too many enemies bearing down on them to avoid close combat!

Your Quatreprouts MGs punish the BEF's indiscipline.

To the north, two BEF companies are thrown back as they try to charge the survivors of the 78th, but one succeds on the charge...

It drills right through the MGs with the bayonet, killing one and forcing another to retreat suppressed!

The French zip across the field, operating in ideal conditions for cavalry, and the 78th's remaining infantry has absolutely no answer.

Who would have thought, analysing the situation as it appeared yesterday, that it would end up like this? Who knows? Not me, though I never lost control.

He was face, to face, with the man who sold the world. (And then he sliced his chest open with a sword.)

It'll be over soon.

Turn 25: 1900
German initiative

In the last proper light of the day, Oberst Hegel lights whatever it is he smokes and thinks happy thoughts about the Iron Cross and the Pour le Merite.

Things are going wrong all over the place now; the 79th's arse hortillery arrives at its designated location, and is immediately shelled into oblivion by 75s on the Clemenceau heights.

Your cavalry attempts to follow the French example and charges those sneaky reinforcement buggers.

But they have unlimbered guns, and unobstructed MGs, and this is how it ends.

Your MGs in Quatreprouts conduct some light target practice.

And the BEF brigadier and the French cavalry nutter appear to be having a friendly chat atop La Oeuf. No prizes for guessing the topic. From sweeping all before you on Turn 19, this is what you now can see, with the last shaft of true daylight before a bitter gloom begins to envelop the battlefield.

You have lost 154 companies, and the enemy has lost 131.

:siren: Owing to my schedule, the next soft deadline is Thursday March 2nd, 9am GMT. I believe that there is, by way of compensation, plenty to discuss.

Oh, and General Mon Pere sends the following, for which I am far too tired to write any entertaining fluff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrvGcCK0o_o

Try not to get too depressed. Remember that if they can do it to you, you can do it to them...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

gently caress

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm sure the observer thread is going to LOVE all our salt.

Honestly, my morale is pretty much gone at this point. There's no way we survive long enough to win or even call it a draw, we only need to lose a few more companies to trigger the auto-loss. Should we just call it and get on with the next scenario?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

Honestly, my morale is pretty much gone at this point. There's no way we survive long enough to win or even call it a draw, we only need to lose a few more companies to trigger the auto-loss. Should we just call it and get on with the next scenario?

Trin Tragula posted:

Remember that if they can do it to you, you can do it to them...

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Losing that division always made this an uphill battle. We've honestly done better than we probably should have given how hosed we got at the start.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
If I see that french cav, I will tip my hat to them as gallant foes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

we've got two brigades in good order in Fraise Champs and St. Croissant and the french and english are both scattered all over the place. we can still win this. Chill.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Sure, we COULD pull of some Magic Dice Roll Bullshit lining up perfectly with a bit of bad planning on their part, but let's be real - I'm a few turns away from being pried out of Q by British steel, and my glorious death will push us over the auto-loss limit, game over.

E: Isn't our limit 160 dead companies? That's what all my pessimism is based on.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

Sure, we COULD pull of some Magic Dice Roll Bullshit lining up perfectly with a bit of bad planning on their part, but let's be real - I'm a few turns away from being pried out of Q by British steel, and my glorious death will push us over the auto-loss limit, game over.

E: Isn't our limit 160 dead companies?

they're coming towards me, not you
dig in, fortify, and chill

well-prepared infantry can always repulse a cavalry charge, this has been true from the Landsknechts on to the present day and now it doesn't even take a half an hour to reload a rifle. Have you forgotten your Kriegsgeschichte?

edit: the limit is a quarter of all forces on the field including reinforcements. we are not going to autolose. we are going to be fine.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 28, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'll stick around and see how it all pans out, but my prediction is the BEF wheels around, knifes me to death, and game over.

I have yet to predict a single major development wrong this match.

(Again this is all based on the idea that our loss limit is 160, if I'm misremembering and it's higher we can TOTALLY hold at least Croissant long enough for the cavalry to come over the hill and we win because at least we've got the minor objective.)

E: Honestly, let me sleep it off and I'm sure I'll be way more optimistic in the morning. Right now I'm ruminating and composing my death poem.
Hopefully the BEF gets lost at night and accidentally knifes their way through a bunch of French while we machine gun anybody who strays into range and the day dawns on a glorious German victory.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 28, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

I'll stick around and see how it all pans out, but my prediction is the BEF wheels around, knifes me to death, and game over.
you are in a town, which gives you shelter. Chilllllll.

quote:

E: Honestly, let me sleep it off and I'm sure I'll be way more optimistic in the morning. Right now I'm ruminating and composing my death poem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sorrows_of_Young_Werther

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, I'll admit to being outfoxed and/or outstupided by the guy near Flanderschamps who just ate all my cav. I wasn't expecting him to move from his new entrenchments and even if he wanted to, I didn't think he'd have the command ability to do it. I lost my prized horse arty to a misread of the rules as well :smith:

Trin Tragula posted:

The following rules are relevant to night operations.

One hour before total darkness, at 1930, the hill spotting rules will be suspended and spotting will only be possible at a maximum of 12" for any unit that does not fire.

At 2030, all units will spot only at 4" unless opening fire. The rule which does not allow close combat between unspotted units will be suspended; if units bump each other in the night, there will be close combat.

It is significantly harder to get a change of orders through at night, and there is a chance that units will lose their way and not move entirely as intended.

The game will advance at double speed after 2030 in eight-turn updates and halved deadlines where my schedule allows.

Reminder of the night rules. For the next update, the first turn will be daylight rules, the next two will be twilight (no spotting bonus for being on top of the hills) and the last will be fully dark.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 28, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Question: Does Quarterpoodle have electricity? If so, and if I'm remembering high school chem correctly, I should be able to dissolve all the salt I'm generating in water and electrolyze it into hypochlorous acid as an improvised chemical weapon.

You know, sitting down and staring at the periodic table on my wall, if I can find some proper hydrochloric acid (say, from the local apothecary or the stomachs of some farm animals if I'm really desperate) I could react it with the HClO to get pure chlorine gas. Can I make a gas attack a year early?

E: I've been doing some math and I could plausibly make roughly a metric fuckton of chlorine in a few hours as long as I can find the reagents. Can I at least use it as a Samson Option and send a message to the Entente saying "you charge this town, I make sure everyone dies with me"?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 28, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Shamelessly stealing the theme for the past turn from Flesnolk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75zmIj_4LFQ

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
And the French called in artillery reinforcements, given the 155s down by Graisse.

Yeah, I'm charging the French artillery at nightfall. Because gently caress this, I'm at least taking down my loving white whale before we lose.

We're going to move everything within 5", then fix bayonets and charge until either we're all dead or we run out of Frenchmen to kill.

And I note that the Entente reinforcements haven't had to choose between infantry and artillery, given that the British brought 18 pounders with them.

How close are we to this battle ending, Trin? Did you decide that our runner got killed on Lake Oeuf or something, just to add to the dice loving us at every turn? Or can we at least expect him to reach Croissants soon and make that phone call back to HQ to get us the pyhrric victory?

Trin Tragula posted:

Try not to get too depressed. Remember that if they can do it to you, you can do it to them...
Let me be blunt: bullshit. What loving troops are we supposed to accomplish this miracle with, given that pretty much every die roll has gone against us and our artillery has been consistently neutered by it somehow always being unavailable when we need it? And that unlike us, the French and British apparently get their full complement of artillery with their reinforcement brigades?

gently caress, you more-or-less acknowledge it by saying that even if you'd bothered to let us shoot at that cavalry company, we'd probably have missed anyway.

Or can we bring in our reinforcement brigades behind enemy lines too? Are we allowed to do that, or is that an advantage that only the Entente needed when they outnumbered us everywhere and had the loving BEF with its oversized brigades and special rules to call on for reinforcements?

Are our troops all secretly Green while the Entente are all secretly Veterans too?

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 28, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

What? I can't say one single thing there worries me in the least. We had a unlucky turn and a small fuckup (in an immensely complicated game), move on.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jaguars! posted:

What? I can't say one single thing there worries me in the least. We had a unlucky turn and a small fuckup (in an immensely complicated game), move on.
:same:

bruh, i am in formation with my machine guns ready. i yearn only for cav death. it will happen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Trin Tragula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z314pQhLb2Q

Turn 22: 1730
German initiative

The first thing that happens this half-hour is irritating; TheSandman has given invalid orders. Companies on Defend stance must not move. There are a few exceptions, and brigaded cavalry can do whatever; but the order to send a lone company into the Bois is invalid. I flip a coin to decide whether it moves while it's allowed to, as everyone else switches to Attack stance to reposition, or just stays where it is; it makes a break for it, and dodges the French artillery fire successfully.

Uh, I know this is a minor thing, but I wanna clarify - brigades on defend stance are supposed to be able to adjust position of up to 1/3 of their units per turn. So why were these orders invalid? Moving out of command range?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Why hadn't Perestroika's infantry moved to screen for the guns? He ordered that.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I didn't charge up a hill into horse guns and frog MGs for you sadlords to give up now! We took that hill!

Sending good people after bad is the strategy of the new century, angriff! :getin:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Haha wow we got hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We're trying to move everything all over the place all at once with brigades too far apart to mutually support and with an unresponsive order system that makes this a total crapshoot. If every moving brigade had a stationary one in support that fired at charging enemy things would be different but we're grievously overstretched.

I think when we decided to charge out from StC with our tiny little force we basically charged out of the rule system. When we were simulating corps level operations the whole order constraints and hobbled brigadiers was amazing, but now that we're essentially simulating isolated platoons patrolling through the 'Nam with the enemy lurking on all sides and no semblance of lines every brigadier would have to be able to give orders on their own authority, and every turn, not every update.

With loss rates being as they are the scenario being open-ended basically dooms us to end like this, and the drip of reinforcements painfully drags it out. It should've been limited to x turns, or we should have self-limited and decided that Quatreprouts was beyond our ability to take and asked for some new mechanism to end the scenario. I'd prefer not to continue this particular battle because it is going to be derpy and random if we try to continue maneuvering, and boring if we hunker down.

Next scenario should have some sort of mechanism where a side can go ok this is as far as we get on our objectives list, hunkers down, and then when the other side also puts up this flag it ends. Plus no reinforcements.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 28, 2017

• Locked thread