Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Constantine XI posted:

Avoid This Player would be great if it worked for, say, an hour.

It would be better than the current system where everyone just reports the guy until he gets a temp ban.

But, that's an idea of refinement of a concept unlike the opposers of Avoid-Player who don't want it at all because of 'reasons'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Thor-Stryker posted:

It would be better than the current system where everyone just reports the guy until he gets a temp ban.

But, that's an idea of refinement of a concept unlike the opposers of Avoid-Player who don't want it at all because of 'reasons'.

"Because I don't trust 20 million screaming randos to not make things shittier for everyone else given the chance" is a pretty good reason, actually.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Kai Tave posted:

"Because I don't trust 20 million screaming randos to not make things shittier for everyone else given the chance" is a pretty good reason, actually.

So you would remove the feature that lets you remove the lovely people from your play experience? Does not compute

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys, I've been listening to your feedback, and I want you all to know how much your discussion matters to the Overwatch team.

With that said we here at Blizzard have decided to bring back the much wanted "Avoid this player" feature. It's thanks to you this game is so great!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Unoriginal Name posted:

So you would remove the feature that lets you remove the lovely people from your play experience? Does not compute

"The lovely people," also known as "people who play characters I personally dislike" or "people who might be having a bad day but I've decided they're deliberately throwing" or "people who are so good at the game that I'm mad at them." Also it's less "I want to remove these people from my personal play experience" and more "I hope that this person eventually gets saddled with queue times so bloated that the game becomes effectively unplayable for them." If you wouldn't trust random members of the Overwatch community with the ability to collectively issue bans from the game for whatever reason I'm not sure why you'd trust them with something that more or less works out to the same thing in a roundabout fashion, and I don't actually trust the average person with that sort of responsibility, no. Like I think it's pretty telling that every time this argument comes up it never focuses on people who think racial slurs are the height of comedy or spend all game telling someone to go kill themselves, it always focuses on "but this guy plays Widowmaker so gently caress him" which is precisely why I think Blizzard's correct that their playerbase can't be trusted with that sort of thing.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I feel like snipers on the enemy team are less of a frustrating issue (and if anything a good motivator to be vigilant about your positioning) than snipers who are on your team. I don't think there are any good solutions for that, as any sort of system that allows a team to force their teammates off champs that aren't contributing is obviously gonna be abusable, but the short sighted part of me wishes there was some sort of vote system for it cause whenever you roll into a game people a duo that slampicks two snipers you know you're in for a waste of time.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Kai Tave posted:

"The lovely people," also known as "people who play characters I personally dislike" or "people who might be having a bad day but I've decided they're deliberately throwing" or "people who are so good at the game that I'm mad at them." Also it's less "I want to remove these people from my personal play experience" and more "I hope that this person eventually gets saddled with queue times so bloated that the game becomes effectively unplayable for them." If you wouldn't trust random members of the Overwatch community with the ability to collectively issue bans from the game for whatever reason I'm not sure why you'd trust them with something that more or less works out to the same thing in a roundabout fashion, and I don't actually trust the average person with that sort of responsibility, no. Like I think it's pretty telling that every time this argument comes up it never focuses on people who think racial slurs are the height of comedy or spend all game telling someone to go kill themselves, it always focuses on "but this guy plays Widowmaker so gently caress him" which is precisely why I think Blizzard's correct that their playerbase can't be trusted with that sort of thing.

So then use the system on the racists and people who tell others to kill themselves.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

So then use the system on the racists and people who tell others to kill themselves.

That's not a solution to the system being widely abused. Also, it's a problem adequately solved by the report system.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
does Reinhardt's voice actor also voice Doomsayer in Hearthstone? I keep hearing it from my bf's computer in the other room and getting confused

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Kai Tave posted:

But that's exactly the sort of people I'm talking about avoiding with a temporary system? The drunk\racist\guy who can't stop screaming into the mic. LoL has an absolutely toxic playerbase and they started a system of peer reviewed bans. You really think that Overwatch players couldn't use a temporary version?

The reason the Widowmaker guy (who was making the game lovely for other players in his own way) comes up so often is that it was the only explicitly Blizzard stated problem with the system. And it's a bullshit problem. It was direct feedback given to them about a lovely game experience (OP being widow at the time, proven out by subsequent nerfs) and their solution was to remove the feedback method.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Excluding players from matchmaking is not balance feedback, and is not necessary for balance feedback. Stop pretending it's either.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Excluding players from matchmaking is not balance feedback, and is not necessary for balance feedback. Stop pretending it's either.

You would prefer the "Most Commonly Whined About On The Forums" method they currently use?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

You would prefer the "Most Commonly Whined About On The Forums" method they currently use?

Honestly, I would prefer they not take democratic feedback at all, as much of it is worse than useless. The ideal would be a combination of tournament and/or top 500 comp data mining to determine what needs nerfing and buffing, and a round table of pro players and designers to determine the specifics of how to do it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Unoriginal Name posted:

But that's exactly the sort of people I'm talking about avoiding with a temporary system? The drunk\racist\guy who can't stop screaming into the mic.

Yeah, it's too bad the playerbase proved that they aren't collectively capable of only blocking that particular category of person instead of "whoever happens to piss me off for whatever reason at the moment."

Unoriginal Name posted:

The reason the Widowmaker guy (who was making the game lovely for other players in his own way)

Yep, as always it has nothing to do with actual problematic, lovely racists telling kids to go kill themselves or whatever, it always boils down to "these people are playing MY game WRONG and I want to punish them for it." If it wasn't Widowmaker or Hanzo it would be Ana back when everyone was super-pissed at people playing Ana in comp when she was new, it would be Torb and Junkrat and Mei and McCree and Roadhog and Sombra and Genji and Tracer and Soldier and Pharah and Mercy and D.Va and literally any other character that has ever pissed someone else off simply by existing in the same match as them.

The direct feedback Blizzard got is that their playerbase is full of whiny dipshits that should be ignored, and thankfully in this one particular instance they were. The last time Blizzard listened to overwhelming feedback from their players they buffed Ana before she'd had a proper live-play shakedown and look how that worked out, so maybe as dumb as Blizzard is about a lot of stuff the people who play their games are actually worse.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Plus Blizzard is implementing the server browser which means everyone who pathologically hates Widowmaker will undoubtedly be making a zillion "Overwatch NO SNIPERS ZONE" servers that everyone who hates snipers will be free to play to their heart's content so your long national nightmare is soon to be over anyway, and frankly "go ahead and make your own custom server and people can decide if they want to play it or not" is a vastly better answer to the anti purple Frenchwoman bloc's desires than allowing people to make the game shittier for anyone whose sole crime is playing the wrong character in a video game.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Plus Blizzard is implementing the server browser which means everyone who pathologically loves Widowmaker will undoubtedly be making a zillion "Overwatch ONLY SNIPERS ZONE" servers that everyone who loves snipers will be free to play to their heart's content so your long national nightmare is soon to be over anyway, and frankly "go ahead and make your own custom server and people can decide if they want to play it or not" is a vastly better answer to the pro purple Frenchwoman bloc's desires than allowing people to make the game shittier for anyone whose sole crime is playing character who has a head that can be clicked in a video game.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I want to be able to mod D.va's mech to have Reaper's shotguns on it. Just a thought :cool::cool:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Since I main Roadhog and he is in many ways Widow 2.0 in attracting endless complaints about being killed by him, I'm pretty glad Blizzard realized that was a bad feature.

Yeah a sniper's not really fun to fight, but is anyone particularly fun to fight against in Overwatch?

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 28, 2017

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Justin_Brett posted:

Since I main Roadhog and he is in many ways Widow 2.0 in attracting endless complaints about being killed by him, I'm pretty glad Blizzard realized that was a bad feature.

Yeah a sniper's not really fun to fight, but is anyone particularly fun to fight against in Overwatch?

There is the predictive aspect of Genji and Tracer is fun, the "Chase the Healer" minigame that the supports provide, the flanking to defeat a Rein, the risk-reward of breaking a Zarya shield. All very interesting.

And then there is the "uhhhh, hide or get one shot" that is Widow and Hog

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If no-one is fun to fight, than the game isn't fun, since it's positioning and fighting.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
lol if you think Genji hasn't been bitched about just as much, if not more, than Widowmaker.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Unoriginal Name posted:

There is the predictive aspect of Genji and Tracer is fun, the "Chase the Healer" minigame that the supports provide, the flanking to defeat a Rein, the risk-reward of breaking a Zarya shield. All very interesting.

you could try and make them miss

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Unoriginal Name posted:

like what? the flanking to defeat a rein? thats your idea of a fun battle? I'm being trolled

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tracer and genji are really cool and fun, and when you do well with them you feel awesome. there's so much poo poo you can pull off as both of them, but especially genji, that looks cool as gently caress. they're also a lot of fun to watch

that stuff also makes them have a really high skill ceiling and an even lower skill floor tho, so you can get some on your team that do literally nothing and then play against ones that you can't even touch

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Somewhat relevant to this discussion, crossposting from the tryhard thread, here's a breakdown in pickrates not for pro gamers but just across general population comp season 3, broken down by skill tier. For a character that's apparently such a blight upon the game that she leaves indelible scars on peoples' psyches, Widowmaker isn't actually played all that often. At Grandmaster tier, where you would expect super flickshot sniper domination to reign supreme, her pickrate is just barely above 10% and as you descend down the tier ladder so does her pickrate, ending at around 5% in Bronze. Hanzo has similar numbers though it's interesting that from Bronze up to Platinum he gets picked more often than she does but then once you get to Diamond and above you see more Widow (but again, they're within low single digit percentage points of one another the entire time).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kai Tave posted:

Somewhat relevant to this discussion, crossposting from the tryhard thread, here's a breakdown in pickrates not for pro gamers but just across general population comp season 3, broken down by skill tier. For a character that's apparently such a blight upon the game that she leaves indelible scars on peoples' psyches, Widowmaker isn't actually played all that often. At Grandmaster tier, where you would expect super flickshot sniper domination to reign supreme, her pickrate is just barely above 10% and as you descend down the tier ladder so does her pickrate, ending at around 5% in Bronze. Hanzo has similar numbers though it's interesting that from Bronze up to Platinum he gets picked more often than she does but then once you get to Diamond and above you see more Widow (but again, they're within low single digit percentage points of one another the entire time).

Hm neat I literally didn't play a single quickplay game today where there wasn't a Widowmaker on one or both teams. Hanzo just slightly less so

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

confirmation bias

ranked and qp numbers will be different as well

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

Hm neat I literally didn't play a single quickplay game today where there wasn't a Widowmaker on one or both teams. Hanzo just slightly less so

Maybe you should play more comp then.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

What was that licensed voice comm toolkit overwatch is using?

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

For a character that's apparently such a blight upon the game that she leaves indelible scars on peoples' psyches, Widowmaker isn't actually played all that often.

I'm assuming that everyone feels she's such a huge problem is due to the fact that you're much more likely to remember having a poo poo widow on your team rather than, say, a mediocre soldier 76. It does honestly feel like she's picked way more than that though.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

People use qp to play, and get used to the basic mechanics of heroes that they don't feel that they're good enough to play in comp, so yeah you'll probably find more widow and hanzo being picked there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

berenzen posted:

People use qp to play, and get used to the basic mechanics of heroes that they don't feel that they're good enough to play in comp, so yeah you'll probably find more widow and hanzo being picked there.

People also use quickplay to gently caress around and do whatever because there's no real consequence for losing, so even tryhards who actually care about winning will just play whatever there to blow off steam.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sometimes I qp and slam down Hanzo because I have the sweet wolf skin for him.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

There are -a lot- of insecure tryhards in QP that take it super serious and will rage for picks/losing. They're pathetic. Also my friends.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Moreso between seasons. It's a cesspool of comp refugees at the moment, and it's very noticeable

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If so many of you are upset at getting owned so hard by Widows in QP, that is your cue to pick a new hero - perhaps Winston - and reap sweet schadenfreude by ruining their game in turn. It's the circle of life. The reason Widowmaker is hardly picked in comp is because she is underpowered, easily countered, and has a very high skill ceiling in order to actually be effective.

And it happens that nearly every Widow is pretty hot garbage, so a good piece of advice is don't stand still, have a healer, and you'll probably die like only once per game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She has a high skill floor, as in you need to put in a lot more skill to be effective with her.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Poque posted:

does Reinhardt's voice actor also voice Doomsayer in Hearthstone? I keep hearing it from my bf's computer in the other room and getting confused

No: http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Darin_De_Paul

If only the Patron Warrior deck still was a thing, because then you wouldn't stop hearing him say "Everyone, get in here!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My inability to aim aside I just think snipers are boring and unfun in every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

Jeza posted:

If so many of you are upset at getting owned so hard by Widows in QP, that is your cue to pick a new hero - perhaps Winston

This dude knows what's up. You also get to clean up those Genjis and Tracers.

Proof that Winston is actually the best character? I think it speaks for itself.