Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New Grand Blue Crew reporting in, I love everyone in this.

Although I do find some of the slight differences in dive technique a bit funny. Like, I was always taught to use the independent reg/octopus as the primary and switch to the BC one only when it's time to pass the octopus over to your partner (because you'll be able to do so faster if it's in your mouth rather than having to fish for it).

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hahahaha yes, the new Onideka deals with one problem I always have with giant-sized folks in anything, and does it great :allears:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fake detective continues to be great: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kako-to-Nise-Tantei/Vol-001-Ch-002--Those-who-drown?id=348107

after the mc in naqua-den (a huge stud that all the ladies loved), having a scrawny weirdo that everyone hates is nice.

This is great, thanks for sharing. I really liked Detective Conan so the backstory for this is cool.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

jwang posted:

Hi-Score Girl got updated, and it's fantastic as usual. Guile is the best wing-man.

Link for convenience - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hi-Score-Girl/Chapter-039?id=348076

And Guile is indeed a great wing-man.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just want more Grand Blue now that I've read Grand Blue

should I actually try Baka to Test? Which version?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's all pretty good, though there is a volume or two that didn't get animated.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress, really weird and abrupt end on I am a hero. That's too bad.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ghost in the Shell is seinen right? Anyway, i just got the new hardcover English edition and it is super nice, no longer flipped and on good paper too. It is also missing the weird virtual sex scene and is back to the version where the Major and her friends are just on drugs and on a VR boat instead. Which, to be honest i'm totally fine with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, that's a nice kuro av

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

nerdz posted:

Terrible.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Seriously, that felt like a straight up cancellation with very little notice. At least he can move on now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

nerdz posted:

What a waste. :ughh:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Every anticlimactic little fart of a manga ending kind of heals the pain of the Shamo ending in a weird way though, so I can accept this
Nowadays it's almost like hey, that ant wasn't thaaat bad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

nerdz posted:

It's fine. It doesn't need to follow hideo to the end of his life or anything, just that he now has to survive on his own.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
did they ever explain the aliens goals

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They never explain any of it, and that's fine.

Speaking of series ending, the final four chapters of boku girl went up, and the ending was great. I do wish series wouldn't end immediately upon a choice being made, but at this point it's to be expected from 99% of manga and anime. Still, cute ending.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I am a Hero ending was bad.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
he loved oda the most at the end, and that's fine by me.

ending was fine.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i wonder if Hanazawa's next work will also have a weak man's life being ruined by a woman

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ressentiment wasn't that, but rather a weak man repeatedly ruining his own life because he couldn't see what was right in front of him.

Still waiting on those final boys on the run chapters, too. Bummer

Edit: ressentiment and I am a hero are both about chickenshit goobers who are self serving as gently caress, while boys on the run at least has a protagonist who grows and learns from his massive, massive fuckups. I think. Maybe. I hope :ohdear:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 28, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is Guyver worth reading?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of series ending, the final four chapters of boku girl went up, and the ending was great. I do wish series wouldn't end immediately upon a choice being made, but at this point it's to be expected from 99% of manga and anime. Still, cute ending.

The heartwarming tale of a girl and her rapist

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

Jose posted:

Is Guyver worth reading?
no, the author takes breaks all the time, and the (supposed to be) monthly length of chapters is less than that of a weekly series (sometimes), and there isn't really enough interest for translations to come out regularly

Relin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 28, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

The heartwarming tale of a girl and her rapist
It's been a while since I've read the rest of it, but I don't remember anything of that sort happening. Some near-makeout moments maybe, but no rape scenes. What? I just recall it being a gender-bending slapstick comedy for the most part with sometimes heavy awkward close proximity to each other to confuse the MC as much as possible and keep the love triangle going.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The plot of BG:
R: I want to gently caress my friend, but that would be GAY
MC: I got turned into a girl!
R: Ah, excellent, I shall now repeatedly assault you.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

you're right, someone needs to do something about all this loki mischief. then this would never happen

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

a kitten posted:

Ghost in the Shell is seinen right? Anyway, i just got the new hardcover English edition and it is super nice, no longer flipped and on good paper too. It is also missing the weird virtual sex scene and is back to the version where the Major and her friends are just on drugs and on a VR boat instead. Which, to be honest i'm totally fine with.

It's hosed up that they'd erase the Major's bisexuality like this, but I guess that's publishing in Trump's America.

How do they do it anyway, is it like [redrawn panel of the girls chastely sunbathing] one of them: "isn't it cool, to be high on drugs" [cut to the panel of Batou looking sick to his stomach] "Major, these are some unpleasant drugs"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rodyle posted:

The plot of BG:
R: I want to gently caress my friend, but that would be GAY
MC: I got turned into a girl!
R: Ah, excellent, I shall now repeatedly assault you.

this, in fact, did not happen

and most chapters are not focused on these two anyway

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Every anticlimactic little fart of a manga ending kind of heals the pain of the Shamo ending in a weird way though, so I can accept this

You read the flow of my mind perfectly. Must be a compromised AT FIeld, lol

Like, the whole deer thing didn't hit me until I started responding, dude.
e:

Captain Invictus posted:

Ressentiment wasn't that, but rather a weak man repeatedly ruining his own life because he couldn't see what was right in front of him.

Still waiting on those final boys on the run chapters, too. Bummer

Edit: ressentiment and I am a hero are both about chickenshit goobers who are self serving as gently caress, while boys on the run at least has a protagonist who grows and learns from his massive, massive fuckups. I think. Maybe. I hope :ohdear:

I identified with Hideo-kun. He Invented the Pussy Song and was easily associable with forgivable quirks.

I identified with you. You post very good.

Metal Pink Babble fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 1, 2017

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I don't think my poor heart could take more translated Boys on the Run chapters.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

It's hosed up that they'd erase the Major's bisexuality like this, but I guess that's publishing in Trump's America.

How do they do it anyway, is it like [redrawn panel of the girls chastely sunbathing] one of them: "isn't it cool, to be high on drugs" [cut to the panel of Batou looking sick to his stomach] "Major, these are some unpleasant drugs"

The tamer version is the version i'm most familiar with since the Dark Horse version i picked up back in '96(or so) used it. AFAIK Shiro did the re-draw himself.

Here's a comparison of the pages :nws: :nws: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/25/special-editioned-digital-ghost-shell-not-uncensored-original-version-nsfw/

Even with that, myself and everyone i knew that read it back then totally thought she was bi anyway tbh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think i've ever seen the original version before. the manga is probably better off with the sex scene out of nowhere removed.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Homophobe.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I only got as far in Shamo as the monkey dude with chi powers and I think the next arc was going to be about a dancer. Is it worth still reading after that point?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Captain Invictus posted:

They never explain any of it, and that's fine.

I'm satisfied with the ending, though I'm left wondering if I missed what happened to the hives. Did they...die? What killed them?

But if I didn't miss anything, then, okay.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zerilan posted:

I only got as far in Shamo as the monkey dude with chi powers and I think the next arc was going to be about a dancer. Is it worth still reading after that point?
I think you're pretty much past the point it was good once you get to the crazy Kung fu chi stuff, and the ending is infamously anticlimactic
I dunno how many chapters you've got left exactly, and there might still be a good fight or two somewhere I forget, but it's definitely all downhill from where you're left off
I was trying to even remember if there were cool scenes/fights during the dancer arc. Maybe?

Nvm past me says the answer to your question is "no. You're good."

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Boy Shamo sure went from good to garbage pretty quick after the artist writer split. It was almost comical how bad and lame the final arc and ending were. What a great final battle, beating up on a literally mentally disabled dude. Then that lame rear end ending. "YOU THINK THERE WAS AN OLD MAN AND A PEARLY GATE??? Heh...bullshit". That final chapter is some poo poo I'd have written at 13. loving ants, man.
It straight up ruined the whole of the series cuz how do you even recommend Shamo with a drop off like that.

But then I tried reading the series the Shamo writer went to after and it was even bigger garbage so I don't know

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 1, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
loving ants, man!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zerilan posted:

You are almost exactly at the point where it goes to poo poo.

Just imagine that he dies in a shipwreck on the way back to Japan.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Zerilan posted:

No, imo. The fight with the dancer isn't resolved well, then it enters into the final arc which had promise but is resolved even less well. I think the ending actually fits the overall story, but it doesn't have anything to do with what was introduced leading up to it.

Someone else said it best: the real story of Shamo ends at the last fight with Sugawara, then the China story is like a semi-connected OAV. To me, nothing after that felt like it was saying anything. Only read it if you really want to satisfy your curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zerilan posted:

spoilers don't do it justice. i wish i could read the rest of it for the first time again.