Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

we already basically knew this because booster art but here's confirmation I guess

domri rade is to cube drafts what the basic land + token are to booster drafts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

little munchkin posted:

Is he that bad? I'd figured he would be decent in most unpowered cubes

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Shortest Path posted:

Is he that bad? I'd figured he would be decent in most unpowered cubes

The kind of deck that wants to play Domri Rade can't beat a reanimator deck or a wrath or a twin combo or any kind of combo or a bunch of counterspells and removal or a ramp deck or an Opposition. Other than that it's a fine card.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pretty sick in the domri rade mirrior though

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean they had to spoil a lovely mythic first, right?

The Terminate art is pretty boss, though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

primal command is sweet and good but not in modern

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Elyv posted:

You could say that about all of that original cycle except cryptic.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

At least if they print the full cycle we'll get one good modern card out of it, unlike all the other bad cycles they could print!

Also all five are kickin rad in limited so

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

You've never lived until you've played a green devotion deck vs. burn and go primal command, gain 7 search up eternal witness, eternal witness bring back primal command, gain 7 search up eternal witness.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

I've seen it a few times in 3rd-tier-but-not-utterly-trash-for-fun decks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

kirtar posted:

You could say that about all of that original cycle except cryptic.

the white and red commands are pretty mediocre

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Really not that unreasonable.

I regret only having three of the planeshift ones for DiTerlizzi to sign. And don't even ask how many stronghold mana leaks I had Christopher Rush sign (it was two [gently caress]).

I only got 4 Arena Mana Leaks signed. I have a cube.

So you see the issue now that I want to sell the other 3.

Also he got sick just before Champs '15 and I never got my judge Bolts signed.

Elyv posted:

White is fine in commander and is kinda expensive. Nobody has ever cast the red one and nobody knows what it does or if it exists.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

and yet austere command is still a ten dollar card :iiam:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
3rd reprint for primal command. Arguably the 2nd feel bad rare spoiled and the first of many feel bad rares.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

little munchkin posted:

I'm never going to not hear the Tolarian Professor saying "No! Not even a little!" in response to "Stoic Angel?! Does she get played in Modern?!" now that I saw that dumb video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWOSqsImos8&t=100s

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jabor posted:

and yet austere command is still a ten dollar card :iiam:

It's played in most white commander decks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

I only got 4 Arena Mana Leaks signed. I have a cube.

So you see the issue now that I want to sell the other 3.

Also he got sick just before Champs '15 and I never got my judge Bolts signed.

White is fine in commander and is kinda expensive. Nobody has ever cast the red one and nobody knows what it does or if it exists.

No one remembers that Wayne England died because Christopher Rush died the day after.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

I've seen it a few times in 3rd-tier-but-not-utterly-trash-for-fun decks.

I enjoy it as a one-of in the SB in my RG ramp/ponza decks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

No one remembers that Wayne England died because Christopher Rush died the day after.

They both bummed me out but I'd never met Wayne. Chris was really nice and talked to me a while when business was slow at GPNJ. Also holy crap he was a seriously tiny man.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hoo lord.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So, mono-red looking like a good draft archetype?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor posted:

So, mono-red looking like a good draft archetype?

molten rain is likely to be bad in limited and also we've seen no commons(other than guildgates) and etc

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

molten rain is likely to be bad in limited and also we've seen no commons(other than guildgates) and etc

It is pretty good against people getting greedy in their manabases with guildgates and tri-lands though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Harmonize

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Elyv posted:

Harmonize

That doesn't look like Rick Sanchez tho.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So if card prices drop after a reprint and then steadily go back up, what is the optimal time to purchase them? The day of opening, a week after, never? I need them fetches and caverns.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

DangerDongs posted:

So if card prices drop after a reprint and then steadily go back up, what is the optimal time to purchase them? The day of opening, a week after, never? I need them fetches and caverns.

I would buy them at their lowest price before they go back up again.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The time to buy is when it's low enough that you think the value you will get from them is more than the price you will pay for them.

If you care too much about how the price changes after you've already bought them, you are bound to wind up unhappy even if you time things perfectly.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Welcome to the bone zone.

https://clips.twitch.tv/WittyIgnorantMinkDoubleRainbow

Tapping Grove of the Burnwillows makes an opponent's Death's Shadow disappear if the mana ability increases the Death's Shadow's controller's life from 12 to 13. It can be undone by undoing the tap for mana as long as there isn't a triggered ability that happens when that player gains life.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 28, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So, can I just buy a booster box and deck starter of the Amonkhet release and be ok play? Last time I played was 7th and really it was just with the starter decks so I'm a bit :psyduck: at the moment as I don't recognise anything.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ijyt posted:

So, can I just buy a booster box and deck starter of the Amonkhet release and be ok play? Last time I played was 7th and really it was just with the starter decks so I'm a bit :psyduck: at the moment as I don't recognise anything.

If you want to draft or crack packs and play like you did back then sure, but if you want to build competitive decks you're better off buying singles.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm thinking of getting into the game with Amonkhet too, what up rookie buddy. My plan's to go to the prerelease and see if I can build anything from the card pool I end up with. Starter decks are pretty bad in general, but I might buy two just to see if I can make one casual deck from them.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Elyv posted:

They said they want 4/5 color good stuff to be viable and 3 colors fairly easy, so I bet it's probably okayish. Not a high pick by any means, but if your forcing mono red it would be worth a slot probably.

Siivola posted:

I'm thinking of getting into the game with Amonkhet too, what up rookie buddy. My plan's to go to the prerelease and see if I can build anything from the card pool I end up with. Starter decks are pretty bad in general, but I might buy two just to see if I can make one casual deck from them.

Don't. I don't think even the commons are worth it in the starters. Honestly if your just wanting to get your feet wet the best thing to get is a commander deck and play some games to get used to the rules. Then you can decide if you want to get involved with tourney magic. Draft is also the best way to play if your new, but it's also very high skill so it's possibly frustrating depending on your store.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Now that I look at the contents, there's under $10 worth of cards in a deck, not counting the single bad planeswalker: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/kaladesh-planeswalker-decks

So a bad idea I guess, might as well buy the deck I'd build in singles. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 28, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid's fave planeswalker

e:

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 28, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Can't wait to resto that thraggy in draft

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

GoutPatrol posted:

Can't wait to resto that thraggy in draft

Might as well reprint Sphinx's Revelation while we're at it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

80s James Hetfield posted:

Might as well reprint Sphinx's Revelation while we're at it.

and Unburial Rites

and that Angel that was like 30 bucks for a while in INN/RTR standard and cratered after Thragtusk left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

and Unburial Rites

and that Angel that was like 30 bucks for a while in INN/RTR standard and cratered after Thragtusk left.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=253627 this one?

• Locked thread