Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

zen death robot posted:

I aced my fist and only interview after being unemployed for a month and a half on full severance and got hired at a significant raise from my old job. having a niche set of skills owns sometimes
cool

what forums do u control now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I applied to be a fish tech, a forest tech, and a GIS tech last month. I might apply for the sensor tech position at the same place as GIS tech but their commitment to a prompt response on job applications so far has been disappointing.

edit: what do I do if they have a salary requested field in the application. I glassdoored it for the last submission and it basically was identical to my previous job so I put that in. what happens if I just put in zero and explain to talk to me about it.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 28, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

zen death robot posted:

my fist interview

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

zen death robot posted:

I aced my fist and only interview after being unemployed for a month and a half on full severance and got hired at a significant raise from my old job. having a niche set of skills owns sometimes

nice

i hope you gave a start date of $end_of_severance_date and are soon getting on a plane to get drunk on a beach

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

zen death robot posted:

cool cool so you got mad time to fix the ghost post on terrible programmer thread right?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

also congrats get figgies

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I applied to be a fish tech, a forest tech, and a GIS tech last month. I might apply for the sensor tech position at the same place as GIS tech but their commitment to a prompt response on job applications so far has been disappointing.

edit: what do I do if they have a salary requested field in the application. I glassdoored it for the last submission and it basically was identical to my previous job so I put that in. what happens if I just put in zero and explain to talk to me about it.

you did the right thing. by the time you get anywhere close to salary negotiations, they've wasted a bunch of time trying to fill the position and think you should work for them. time to pull out your real number.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

always put zero or one in those forms no matter what

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bloody posted:

always put 1337 or 8008135 in those forms no matter what

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

lancemantis posted:

if you cared about computer touching at all, the most important discipline in the world, you would know this, otherwise you're just a faker that doesn't deserve to be in this country
I had to look up what exactly "balance a binary tree" meant because I never took CS 101.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i failed yospos. my skills are not a fit for the oracle position. rip

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Shoulda got a db query running on a microcomputer and brought it in

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ShadowHawk posted:

I had to look up what exactly "balance a binary tree" meant because I never took CS 101.

don't leave the country

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

the question makes no real sense in isolation, or rather has so many possible answers that any asker will be in for a difficult task judging them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

he just said to balance a binary search tree, not write code to do it. you can easily construct that problem for there to be one correct answer

well 2 I guess if you don't specify which order

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so what happens if you give a terrible but technically correct answer?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

you die

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiiWOh9f9l0

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

you've never dealt with customs I take it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so somehow I am now posted somewhere where scummy foreign worker enslavers are hitting me up. every day a different person with a heavy Indian accent calls me up and offers a lovely contract position at a lovely company with lovely pay. I can tell from the first word that I'm not interested.

I am not a foreigner, don't have an Indian name, and I don't do contracts.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

current job hunt status: refactoring resume after getting blanked on roles that I'm basically perfect for

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Luigi Thirty posted:

i failed yospos. my skills are not a fit for the oracle position. rip

:rip: you passed the test of being a good programmer

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
is facebook bad to work for? a recruiter reached out and while i'll probably decline because it's a relocation and i don't want to move, i feel like it's worth keeping my name in their system if they don't suck

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I got hit up by vmware and then I remembered they're owned by dell now and I lolled.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a friend who works at VMware and likes it but I don't know how much Dell culture has seeped in

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

is facebook bad to work for? a recruiter reached out and while i'll probably decline because it's a relocation and i don't want to move, i feel like it's worth keeping my name in their system if they don't suck

dumptrucks of money

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bloody posted:

dumptrucks of money

take-home pay will double or triple once vesting starts

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Blinkz0rz posted:

well you'll inevitably have to deal with big PHP code bases so

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Blinkz0rz posted:

you'll be working for the future potus (bet on it)

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
it's for platform engineering (which is what i do at my current place) but those teams are in ny, seattle, and silicon valley.

wonder if i can parlay it into a regular eng job in the boston office 'cause beyond having to learn some hack i don't see a huge downside.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

lol wtf glassdoor says salary-wise it'll be a lateral movement or maybe a step down. i know

Progressive JPEG posted:

take-home pay will double or triple once vesting starts

but that's still kinda lol-worthy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

I have a friend who works at VMware and likes it but I don't know how much Dell culture has seeped in

is dell culture known to be bad?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

is dell culture known to be bad?

have you ever used a dell product

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

FamDav posted:

have you ever used a dell product

their workstations are boring in the best way

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

The Management posted:

I am not a foreigner, don't have an Indian name, and I don't do contracts.

"how skilled are you in dee-jango"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

zen death robot posted:

it's because you're a fundamentally lovely person

actually the best burn itt

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

zen death robot posted:

it's because you're a fundamentally lovely person

you need to post more

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

if you give an answer different in any way to the wikipedia printout that the agent has its back to syria with you

poty fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 1, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blinkz0rz posted:

doctor 666 or w/e in cobol literally can't stop extolling their virtues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Blinkz0rz posted:

facebook is google-tier (good)

• Locked thread