Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I hate judging books by their cover but holy poo poo if I could ban like everyone with a tattoo below their eye it would make life so much easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
This dude with a half dollar sized Death Star tattooed below his eye tried to steal a bunch of bars audio equipment and was shocked that we'd remember what he looked like

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
This is two days after a man with a money sign tattooed below his eye threw a drink at me (missed) and threw a punch at me (hit his friend)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
whoa people with face tattoos are bad decision makers this is me shocked at that revelation

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I plan on getting an eye tattoo someday.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Tattoos are dope but you have to wait a year to give blood after you get one. Also they cost money. So no Tattoo for 'ole Jizzy.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

This is a great way to ensure that you will never eat pussy. Or find gainful employment.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Spoeank posted:

whoa people with face tattoos are bad decision makers this is me shocked at that revelation

My friend has face tattoos and he's a good dude who makes good money.

Granted he's a tattoo artist so I don't think he counts

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Tattoo artists and Gucci Mane are exempt from my rule

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm not really a fan of tattoos in general but I'd never trust a tattoo artist with clean skin.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Tattoos are dope but you have to wait a year to give blood after you get one. Also they cost money. So no Tattoo for 'ole Jizzy.
I don't give blood so that's that! (mattress man)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm not really a fan of tattoos in general but I'd never trust a tattoo artist with clean skin.

Like getting a haircut from a bald dude!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I could never get a tattoo. Either my opinion of the tattoo's subject matter would soon change, or it would become associated with something bad shortly thereafter. Like that anecdote about the guy who wanted a tattoo of the name of his favorite band, so he had ISIS tattooed on his arm. Just too much permanence there.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Hot Diggity! posted:

Go to surgical sciences museums they're morbid and rad

The one in Chicago owns hard. Trepanation tools :hawksin:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

How the gently caress does anyone live in a city and also save money to buy a house? Do they just not - what the heck are the long term plans of other people mid twenties still living in "the city"? My lease is up end of May and I think I'm going to move back home to save

I also want to buy an RV and travel the country all summer though so that's probably not a wise financial investment

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

How the gently caress does anyone live in a city and also save money to buy a house? Do they just not - what the heck are the long term plans of other people mid twenties still living in "the city"? My lease is up end of May and I think I'm going to move back home to save

I also want to buy an RV and travel the country all summer though so that's probably not a wise financial investment

You have 6 roommates.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Try to buy low some place that's still a couple years away from gentrification.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Anals of History posted:

Try to buy low some place that's still a couple years away from gentrification.

So.... gentrify it?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Talking with realtors about neighborhoods is probably the easiest way to figure out how loving racist this country is.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

You buy a house on a HUD loan and pay mortgage insurance for a few years.

Kalli posted:

Talking with realtors about neighborhoods is probably the easiest way to figure out how loving racist this country is.

Racism? Present.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The easiest way is to move to one of the most expensive areas in the nation (bay area) then finagle working in a much cheaper area and keeping your bay area pay.

Gonna go live like a long somewhere else

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

Firsthand experience here: extremely. I've never heard "mayate" so much.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Freaquency posted:

The one in Chicago owns hard. Trepanation tools :hawksin:

Hell yeah it does. The iron lung there is brutal

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

So HUD loan = way lower down payment and in return you pay insurance on it?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yeah. You pay insurance if you bring less than 20% of house for the down payment. Also, going to gentrifying neighborhoods will get you a house on the cheap.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I can confirm that gentrifying an area is indeed a good financial decision. Also I didn't have 20 percent so I paid mortgage insurance for like a year until I put a big chunk down on the premium to get rid of it. It's not that bad. Mine was something like 60 bucks a month so after writing it off its really like 45.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I've no idea if this is different because I'm bad and dumb at finance, but we got an FHA loan which was amazing, instead of the usual 10-20% down payment we only had to put down 3.5%, and got an interest rate of 3.75% as well. The insurance in question does drive the mortgage payment up by an appreciable amount, but that's why my other piece of advice is to marry up.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yeah, basically. You can buy a house with almost no money down and move in, but you're required to carry mortgage insurance. Depending on the size of the loan, this monthly payment can be substantial.

HUD and FHA loans are pretty much the same thing and the terms are used interchangebly.

The Office of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) issues loans for individual home ownership through the Federal Housing Authority (FHA). HUD does do some other loan poo poo, FHA loans being just one of them which are targeted to help people buy single-family homes.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 28, 2017

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
We bought a house about 3.5 years ago w/ an FHA loan and refinanced a couple years ago but still are paying the mortgage insurance...ours is about $150/month...but our total mortgage payment is about the same as we paid for an apartment in a fancier part of town.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Firsthand experience here: extremely. I've never heard "mayate" so much.

*furiously googles*

huh

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Thaddius the Large posted:

I've no idea if this is different because I'm bad and dumb at finance, but we got an FHA loan which was amazing, instead of the usual 10-20% down payment we only had to put down 3.5%, and got an interest rate of 3.75% as well. The insurance in question does drive the mortgage payment up by an appreciable amount, but that's why my other piece of advice is to marry up.

Just going to second this bit from personal experience.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You don't have to get an FHA loan to pay less than 20% down. Most lenders will permit you to pay as little as 5% down, plus mortgage insurance (PMI). You can opt instead for an FHA loan, plus mortgage insurance (MIP), sometimes for a lower rate than conventional... but, unlike a conventional mortgage, an FHA loan's MIP never goes away, even when you hit 78% loan-to-value, whereas PMI goes away once you hit that magic number. You can still get rid of the MIP by refinancing into a conventional loan, but a large amount of the MIP is an up-front premium that you do not get back (many borrowers roll that amount into the loan, but again, you do not get that money back).

The FHA deal used to be a lot better but a couple years ago Congress (that is, Republicans) hosed with it, basically making it not as good a deal so fewer people would use it.

In any case, paying a minimum down payment is usually not a fantastic idea. The first few years of your mortgage almost all of your premium will go to interest, so you'll build no equity, unless the value of your house goes up. Just like everyone's parents insisted was guaranteed, right up until 2007/8 when oh yeah hmm, turns out no that's not guaranteed.

Bearing in mind that it costs the seller around 6% to 10% of the value of the home to sell it (5% to 6% just in fees paid to the realtors is typical, plus other costs), if you put less than ~10% down you are effectively underwater on your loan from day 1, and then not building much equity because so much of each payment is interest (and taxes and PMI/MIP). If home prices drop at all, you are increasingly in a position where you cannot sell without bringing cash to the table, and/or defaulting and losing everything.

Soooo.... yeah. You can do these low-down payment loans if you really want to but you are taking a larger risk when doing so. It's much better to save up a decent amount of cash so you have a buffer in your home equity in case the poo poo hits the fan and housing prices drop, which, by the way, tends to happen during times of rising unemployment which is exactly when you'll most likely find yourself unable to afford your payments and needing to sell.

So to answer the question how do you buy a house, the answer is make a lot more money or buy a lot less house. A lot more people need to do that. Also get your stupid neighbors to not protest like idiots every time someone wants to build some more density in your city just because it'll cast a big shadow or there's not enough parking or whatever, because yeah great everyone's property values skyrocket and gentrification is cool but all of a sudden all the people who make your lattes and cut your hair and drive your ubers and fix your plumbing can't afford to live there so your cost of living skyrockets at the same time.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Don't buy a house in the city

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

My simple advice would also be to ensure that if everything goes wrong that the rent you would get for it would cover your mortgage payments and make sure from day one you have enough money to protect your rear end if something goes wrong (job loss, illness, metoer impact).

I.e. I made sure that after everything, downpayment, insurances, inspections, furnishings etc i had 3k socked away for bills and a 10k "oh gently caress" fund.

I also made sure that if I had to move out and rent my place out the fund I had aside would give me a financial bridge till I got tenants in.

I also chose to buy in a not fantastic area that is slowly being gentrified and improved.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

In any case, paying a minimum down payment is usually not a fantastic idea. The first few years of your mortgage almost all of your premium will go to interest, so you'll build no equity, unless the value of your house goes up. Just like everyone's parents insisted was guaranteed, right up until 2007/8 when oh yeah hmm, turns out no that's not guaranteed.

Yeah, what you are doing is making a highly leveraged investment: small swings in the price make or lose you large amounts of money relative to the money you put in. Which is...not great for your primary investment. A small decrease in the house value puts you significantly underwater. You'd lose a similar amount of money if you had a down payment, but you retain the ability to cut your losses.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

This post is full of good advice and touches on a lot of considerations that most people don't recognize. Especially that last paragraph.

With that said, I'll disagree a bit and argue that detached Single Family homes in good cities are phenomenal long-term investments. The crash around 2007 actually shows this, places like SF/Sea bounced back way faster than other cities. I know that's kind of a "duh" analysis to say "good places are good", but they are really loving good. I can't think of any other plausible investment that is (somewhat) attainable to working folk that also provides such high ROI and relatively low risk.

The main consideration is, as mentioned by a few posters above me, the initial short time financing issues and risk-management.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
OTOH I'm friends with dual-income programmer couples who couldn't find affordable housing in Seattle so I'm turbo-hosed.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Why don't you guys just get a job that pays 350k+ plus bonuses? You all seem as lazy AF.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

swickles posted:

Why don't you guys just get a job that pays 350k+ plus bonuses?
holy moly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

OTOH I'm friends with dual-income programmer couples who couldn't find affordable housing in Seattle so I'm turbo-hosed.

Whats funny is I had friends who lived in Ballard and were paying a lot for their apartment and then moved to Harlem and now pay like twice as much for one less room.

swickles posted:

Why don't you guys just get a job that pays 350k+ plus bonuses? You all seem as lazy AF.

Even funnier, his wife is a surgeon and when they moved there somebody asked them "wait what are you gonna do for money" when they found out she was a doctor and where they lived.

We're all peasants to somebody!

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread