Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Jukebox Hero posted:

But not you, right

You get to keep all your nice poo poo you worked so hard for

You truly have no setting beyond meltdown, do you dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

nigga crab pollock posted:

lol you do know that 'emp attacks' are full blown nuclear attacks right

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
yeah people keep having kids, but narcoleptics keep getting hired as school bus drivers so it all evens out in the end.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Fog Tripper posted:

You truly have no setting beyond meltdown, do you dude?

Lol conservative tears

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
A good example is that we produce enough food to solve world hunger but the distribution is all hosed. New principles like vertical farming etc. Means that the population limit of the world can expand to levels previously thought to be unsustainable due to advancing tech.

Every generation has thought that this world was too small. Every generation was wrong. I believe there is a limit but it's way higher.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

SBJ posted:

A good example is that we produce enough food to solve world hunger but the distribution is all hosed. New principles like vertical farming etc. Means that the population limit of the world can expand to levels previously thought to be unsustainable due to advancing tech.

Every generation has thought that this world was too small. Every generation was wrong. I believe there is a limit but it's way higher.

The limit is based on real world adoption. Not just, what can we think of, but how rapidly can we deploy it and start to adapt it to the problems that will inevitably rise in real world applications. For example, vertical farming is dumb as poo poo when storms the size of a continent will routinely rip across the surface of the Earth at 100mph. We can't even halt the acceleration of the growth of our problems. If you think that tech will save you, then you have no experience in the world. Walk into a hospital and see what kind of equipment they're dealing with. Most of it is 20+ years old. They still use fax machines as the primary way to shuttle documents. Meanwhile, we spend like 30% of our GDP on healthcare. Its hosed. We will not be able to produce and implement any solution in time for it to matter. As a reminder, we can't even convince half of the people in the most powerful nation in history that a problem even exists, and the alarm's been going off since before you were born.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

a bone to pick posted:

this thread is shrodinger's Trump, he is both hosed and not hosed at the same time.

Haverchuck posted:

looks like they finally got trump.

edit: he got away.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Ork of Fiction posted:

The limit is based on real world adoption. Not just, what can we think of, but how rapidly can we deploy it and start to adapt it to the problems that will inevitably rise in real world applications. For example, vertical farming is dumb as poo poo when storms the size of a continent will routinely rip across the surface of the Earth at 100mph. We can't even halt the acceleration of the growth of our problems. If you think that tech will save you, then you have no experience in the world. Walk into a hospital and see what kind of equipment they're dealing with. Most of it is 20+ years old. They still use fax machines as the primary way to shuttle documents. Meanwhile, we spend like 30% of our GDP on healthcare. Its hosed. We will not be able to produce and implement any solution in time for it to matter. As a reminder, we can't even convince half of the people in the most powerful nation in history that a problem even exists, and the alarm's been going off since before you were born.

Human beings are at their best when cornered like an animal. We can solve any problem if we are willing to throw enough money and talent at it.

Why are fossil fuels being phased out? Advancements in technology made other energy sources cheaper. Not because anyone gave a poo poo about the world dying.

If the cost of not doing something starts to outweigh doing something, then something will be done.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

I'm not arguing against a max carrying capacity, I'm simply saying his solution to the tragedy of the commons is erroneous because it is based on a false assumption; that the commons have been restricted increasingly because of a larger population.

I mean sure, we can def fish out the oceans if we're a bunch of idiots. He says though, that instead of a central regulator going "ok people, we can fish X% amount of fish and no more!" we privatize all fisheries/oceans.

Obviously there is a finite amount of like, oil, but that doesn't mean that the most efficient way to use up all that oil is through privatization + capitalism. Obviously if the oil is just up for grabs and everyone tries to get as much as possible for themselves, you get waste/inefficiency/etc (the tragedy of the commons) but there is more than one way to skin a cat is all.

This dude is acting like cooperation wrt our commons = assured destruction.

e:

To be clear, that part isn't capitalist. The underlying assumptions he uses to get to that conclusion are what I'm taking issue with.

if u think about it, the kingdom of life is essentially a bunch of privatized corporations who exist in competition with each other. THey balance things out p well but also almost all lviing things die horrible horrible deaths.And they dont make movies or anime, so Im not feeling like the positives outweigh the cons.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SBJ posted:

into

for human beings, that dip represents billions of deaths

but theres really no reason it has to be that way, because we r smart

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

SBJ posted:

Human beings are at their best when cornered like an animal. We can solve any problem if we are willing to throw enough money and talent at it.

Why are fossil fuels being phased out? Advancements in technology made other energy sources cheaper. Not because anyone gave a poo poo about the world dying.

If the cost of not doing something starts to outweigh doing something, then something will be done.
First of all, human beings are not coming near to achieving any metric of emission goals set by scientists.I don't have any numbers right now, but I can guarantee you that we first-worlders have been poo poo. Furthermore, the warming of the planet has been progressing faster than predicted, by recent observations of how fast poo poo is melting.

You say we act best cornered, but perhaps there was some problems that cannot be solved at the last minute. Perhaps some problems do required advanced, long-term planning.- is such a notion inconceivable? We are looking at anywhere between 2-5 degrees of warming by 2100, and most of the models don't even have the rate of warming falling off at that point - its still going.

You know all this kerfuffle about a few thousand Syrian refugees scampering across? Millions of people are going to become displaced due to flooding (cya later florida), and they're gonna have to either go somewhere else, or get mowed down.

Water resources, which are already stressed in areas of the first world, are going to be exasperated by desertification (cya later california). Desal tech could save us in this area, though.

Storms are going to get significantly worse, hitting the global economy as a whole.

Its easy to wave these problems aside with "technology" and "innovation", but the places its going to hit and destabilize the very hardest is in the 3rd world (africa is currently hosed imo), where they don't have the money or government logistical systems to cope with all this.

Within this timeframe, the planet's population is projected to increase by 50%. (where it'll stabilize at ~10.5bln). That is most definitely going to increase societal stress, and will significantly aggravate these previously mentioned climate stressors.

So yeah, this is going to be humanity's greatest challenge, and I don't think that we're impervious to failure, especially if we in developed nations continue to do diddly squat (the new wave of nationalism and conservatism is not particularly helping in this regard).

also, that graph above this post is stupid

crime weed fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 28, 2017

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Especially with people who have attitudes like "MY TEAM NEEDS TO WIN" politics. They are killing this loving country.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

Especially with people who have attitudes like "MY TEAM NEEDS TO WIN" politics. They are killing this loving country.
florida man: b-but the feminists are ruining overwa-

*slips off roof into floodwaters*

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kjoery posted:

florida man: b-but the feminists are ruining overwa-

*slips off roof into floodwaters*
the opposite side of this are the mentally ill people who're writing Hillary-won fanfiction and punching left because their poo poo candidate lost

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Jukebox Hero posted:

I know right? Why are the dems being such obstructionists?

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
it's almost as if a two party system were every issue gets turned into a false binary is stupid as gently caress and leads to all shorts of lovely poo poo poo poo

rear end

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Fog Tripper posted:

As long as they are doing bad things to you specifically, I am cool with it. That transforms them into good things.

Fog Tripper posted:

I know right? Why are the dems being such obstructionists?

You're a piece of poo poo.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Fabricated posted:

the opposite side of this are the mentally ill people who're writing Hillary-won fanfiction and punching left because their poo poo candidate lost
ah yes, because those people get hundreds of thousands to millions of views on youtube. the prevalence of these two groups are totally comparable!

two sides of the coin, except one of them is a gaggle of stupid, unfunny people, and the other controls one of the largest subreddits (ok it might be mostly bots, but still) and has youtube pundits who make upwards of 150k/yr.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
The stupid false equivalency poo poo bugs the hell out of me. Conservatives find things to hate and attack, normal people defend what they think is important.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Jukebox Hero posted:

The stupid false equivalency poo poo bugs the hell out of me. Conservatives find things to hate and attack, normal people defend what they think is important.

considering about half of america votes for conservatives (150 mil people lol) asserting that they aren't normal people is p funny

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

considering about half of america votes for conservatives (150 mil people lol)

So 100% of Americans voted? Interesting.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Jukebox Hero posted:

Lol, this complete lack of self-awareness is why I dropped the left. "Normal people are merely defending important things, conservatives are hateful bigots"

Like don't you get they're the same thing

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

considering about half of america votes for conservatives (150 mil people lol) asserting that they aren't normal people is p funny
woah, 150 million USians voted republican? trump must've won by a landslide

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

more like 25% of voting age population but w/e floats your boat I guess

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
AFAIK you've got all branches of government controlled but what is in practice a minority party

lol

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lol, this complete lack of self-awareness is why I dropped the left.

There's no point in debating you because you're not interested in debate. I'm glad you've abandoned the left, you do much better at making republicans look like fools than I do.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Jukebox Hero posted:

There's no point in debating you because you're not interested in debate. I'm glad you've abandoned the left, you do much better at making republicans look like fools than I am.

You don't get anything, you just used "normal people" can you define a "normal person" and how half the US is not normal. Please go ahead

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You don't get anything, you just used "normal people" can you define a "normal person" and how half the US is not normal. Please go ahead

25% of Americans believe the sun orbits the earth, yet I wouldn't call it a "normal" belief.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lol, this complete lack of self-awareness is why I dropped the left. "Normal people are merely defending important things, conservatives are hateful bigots"

Like don't you get they're the same thing
hi spunky please listen to me

i work regularly in a "leftist party"

i have canvassed countless houses, talked to a large number of individual human beings

i have written software to assist with statistical analysis and to process the stupid bingo cards elections canada sends us every year.

these leftists that you talk about, they don't exist. at least, not in real life. maybe on the internet they appear prevalent, but you gotta keep in mine that on the internet, the crazy bubbles to the top.

i understand that you think things are different in the US, and to a certain degree they are, because the conversation is so loving polarized, but even then, the people that i worked with and canvassed on bernie's campaign. they weren't rainbow haired obese hate-spewing whales. they were people who, for the most part, genuinely cared about the country and issues that it faced. these people you, and the youtubers you most likely watch, so despise, they are a minority at best. to claim that they represent the entire "left" is ludicrous.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

25% of Americans believe the sun orbits the earth, yet I wouldn't call it a "normal" belief.

Yah and I bet a huge percentage of people believe that the police kill african-americans at a much higher rate than they kill whites, but that belief, as I showed earlier, is incorrect. So normal is believing incorrect things sometimes?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

People who don't wanna go tell other people to stop being different under penalty of death or torture. Which, yes, is what conservatism is now.

Now say "LIKE LIBERALS?" and pretend you totally burned me.

E: god you're in love with cops and dead black people

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Kjoery posted:

hi spunky please listen to me

i understand that you think things are different in the US, and to a certain degree they are, because the conversation is so loving polarized, but even then, the people that i worked with and canvassed on bernie's campaign. they weren't rainbow haired obese hate-spewing whales. they were people who, for the most part, genuinely cared about the country and issues that it faced. these people you, and the youtubers you most likely watch, so despise, they are a minority at best.

Hi Kjoery, please listen to me

I live in one of the biggest cities in the US. My brother voted for Hillary, all my friends are liberals. And the fact of the matter is that I know more than they do. More facts, more history.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Hi Kjoery, please listen to me

I live in one of the biggest cities in the US. My brother voted for Hillary, all my friends are liberals. And the fact of the matter is that I know more than they do. More facts, more history.

Gonna save this for later.

You even sound like trump.

gently caress, this is trolling, drat it, okay you can drop the act, you got me.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I bet a huge percentage of people believe that the police kill african-americans at a much higher rate than they kill whites

what percentage would that be?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Jukebox Hero posted:

People who don't wanna go tell other people to stop being different under penalty of death or torture. Which, yes, is what conservatism is now.

Now say "LIKE LIBERALS?" and pretend you totally burned me.

E: god you're in love with cops and dead black people

Liberals want to throw people in jail for using certain words

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
a "huge" percentage sounds like something trump would say when it's actually 5%, or how he would describe his inauguration speech attendance.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

Gonna save this for later.

You even sound like trump.

gently caress, this is trolling, drat it, okay you can drop the act, you got me.
well, to be fair, you did respond to a frog tripper post, so you did sort of have it coming

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

a "huge" percentage sounds like something trump would say when it's actually 5%, or how he would describe his inauguration speech attendance.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/05/systemic-racism-or-isolated-abuse-americans-disagree/392570/

50% enough for you?

God, I keep slaying everyone

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

That's fake news you are doing here. It's not what this article says at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Liberals want to throw people in jail for using certain words

Such as? And give evidence too.

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Also that article you linked is literally not about what you're saying it's about.

Oh gently caress trump account spotted, how did you get better at typing mr president

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 28, 2017

• Locked thread