Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Glenn Quebec posted:

This game makes me feel good because it harkens back to the 80s with a good old Reagan style drug war with a few new gadgets.

It's Grand Theft Auto for Republicans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

poptart_fairy posted:

So hey nerds, looks like that Recon Network thing piggy backs onto UPlay, so might be cross-platform. Looks as if you get goofy little bonuses like llama clothes and things for using it. Think there's any point in tossing together a Goon Force, or do you think the thread will be good enough to co-ordinate long term co-op stuff?

I know this is from a few pages back but I think the task forces are platform specific. I joined the Goon task force but I can only see the page if I switch from my PS4 Ubi profile to the PC one. It's the same account but like on the upper right hand side, I have to click on the blue profile thing to change from PS4 to PC.

I took the liberty of making a PS4 squad.

https://ghostreconnetwork.ubi.com/en-US/task-force/profile/11132/Task-Force-Mangosteen

Request to join, put your goon name in the message.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I assumed there must be some of you in this thread that joined LLJK in the closed or open beta that were on PS4, right? Right? :confused:

Mediocrity Goggles was always the one that I thought for sure was on PS4 because he was on all the time and I always saw him as a [Locked] game that I couldn't join.

edit:

Hah, more broken poo poo. It shows an entirely different task force if I click this link and I don't think anyone that hasn't already been in a beta can join because I can't change my platform to anything else.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 28, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I guess it is all broken (of course). So I have my UBI account and my PSN account which is linked to my UBI account. When I log in and go to my PC character, he's in the Jeff K squad. If I switch to my PS4 character, he's on the squad that I made. I guess I'm in sort of a weird place because I did the tech test on PC but I did both betas on PS4. I guess once the game launches and they get all the poo poo hammered out we'll get it all straightened out.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of groups, are there any Aus goons here? Better yet, an Aus goon GR:W group (Since I noticed the 'Jeff K is OM' group is specifically for US goons). I haven't been playing the beta, but I preordered GR:W on Steam and would be interested in playing coop with goons once the game releases and I get acquainted with the controls, etc etc

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 28, 2017

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
My good friend Fink bought me this account for Christmas because he kicks ass.
[quote="Jose Oquendo" post=""469851171"]

I took the liberty of making a PS4 squad.

https://ghostreconnetwork.ubi.com/en-US/task-force/profile/11132/Task-Force-Mangosteen

Request to join, put your goon name in the message.
[/quote]

I sent a request! I can't see/find the other LLJK one at all, however...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Saboteur posted:

I sent a request! I can't see/find the other LLJK one at all, however...

Gotcha in there. Yeah poo poo's all weird. I clicked on my own goddamn link and it took me to a random task force.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Kesper North posted:

It's Grand Theft Auto for Republicans!

Pretty much yeah

"These guys deal drugs!"
"Time to kill them all and be above the law!"

Course this is reinforced, from what I've seen in the beta, by this having the script quality of a new Steven Seagal film.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of groups, are there any Aus goons here? Better yet, an Aus goon GR:W group (Since I noticed the 'Jeff K is OM' group is specifically for US goons). I haven't been playing the beta, but I preordered GR:W on Steam and would be interested in playing coop with goons once the game releases and I get acquainted with the controls, etc etc
Aus here but ehh.... It's fun but I don't want to pay Full price.
Here has it for about $51~ AUD but it's only for another half a day, I need to make up my mind on it.

doctor 7 posted:

Pretty much yeah

"These guys deal drugs!"

Course this is reinforced, from what I've seen in the beta, by this having the script quality of a new Steven Seagal film.
No, what kicked the plot off was 'Nrrhh... they killed my FRIEND that was UNDERCOVER. Murder them all!'
Even better a character or two, and the intro scene is all 'Recognition is FAILURE, you;re GHOSTs no-one knows you're here!' and one of the pick-ups in that second Beta area was a Wanted poster with blurry pictures of you.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 28, 2017

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

doctor 7 posted:

Pretty much yeah

"These guys deal drugs!"

It's really weird how the game presents its morality. On one hand, you're destabilizing a country in order to perpetuate the drug war. On the other, you get a game over for killing civilians or surrendering enemies.
The game really feels like it's presenting you as the bad guys, but it's also making you adhere to a moral code, when you don't really have any narrative motivation to reduce collateral damage.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean, you're supposed to be Ghosts technically operating under a military code. The armed forces has rules of engagement.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

It's really weird how the game presents its morality. On one hand, you're destabilizing a country in order to perpetuate the drug war. On the other, you get a game over for killing civilians or surrendering enemies.
The game really feels like it's presenting you as the bad guys, but it's also making you adhere to a moral code, when you don't really have any narrative motivation to reduce collateral damage.

You really need to ask why a US special forces unit is destabilizing a foreign government, in an attempt to hinder the drug trade? Just 'cause! :v:

oh god, I ended up spending far too much time on this lovely, bad joke that I'm sure has already been told a million times :shepicide:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 28, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
My favorite desync issue is a buddy I was playing with would only have his horizontal position values updates on our end but not vertical. Since we were in hilly terrain this meant he spent most of the time either flying around or underground.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Dr. Stab posted:

The game really feels like it's presenting you as the bad guys

Skills for kills, Ghost.

Skills for kills!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Obsurveyor posted:

I assumed there must be some of you in this thread that joined LLJK in the closed or open beta that were on PS4, right? Right? :confused:

Yeah I was on PS4, so that probably explains some of the problems and the "buy now" screen that I had.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

The game really feels like it's presenting you as the bad guys

it really isn't though? it may come across that way but the intended script seems to be that you're, albeit morally ambiguous, still Good Guys fighting the Good Fight

like if you were being portrayed as the "bad guys" you would probably be assisting the cartel/government forces in putting the kibosh on the rebel movement, which would also be a more interesting narrative since that hasn't been done millions of times yet

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Obsurveyor posted:

Mediocrity Goggles was always the one that I thought for sure was on PS4 because he was on all the time and I always saw him as a [Locked] game that I couldn't join.
Nah, I pretty much rolled either invite only or in someone else's game, since I have a tendency to tab out and idle a lot on my own.

Morter posted:

Skills for kills!
This game basically is Crackdown under a much more realistic(ish) backdrop. And I am totally ok with that. (CD2 still sucks)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It kind of feels like the setting of Jagged Alliance. In fact, I wish it were moreso.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It feels just like the Far Cry games where you are helping ambiguous rebels face off against obvious evil. I wouldn't doubt if the rebels become the bad guys towards the end of the game

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

TwingeCrag posted:

While I've heard ARMA3 is what I want if I want to be a hardcore tacticool operator with friends, I really like the seamless nature of this game and the drop-in co-op was surprisingly functional for a Ubisoft title. The game definitely struggles with tone, as open-world games where you can do ridiculous wheelies in a helicopter tend to do, and I literally could not get interested in the story at all, but if there is a wide variety of base layouts and locales then this game will probably be worth the $30-40 I will pay for it when it inevitably goes on sale.

Do you like Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag? I've been a big Ubisoft fan since the release of their 2007 game, Assassin's Creed II. Before that, I didn't really understand any of their work. Too dated, too intellectual. It was in Far Cry 3 where their expertise in making open-world, action shooters really became more apparent. I think AC IV: Black Flag was their undisputed masterpiece. it combined elements of history and storytelling with the added benefits of a fluid, open-world, gameplay experience, which at the same time enhanced the meaning of the previous releases. Christy, take off your robe. Look at the brilliant gameplay, graphics, and interaction with the scenery and NPCs. You can practically feel the physical connection you have with the large and expansive in-game world. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of story writing, and the expansiveness of the open world of the Caribbean and its islands, this game hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the example of Edward Kenway. He struggles with the harshness of being shunned by the outer world, while trying to maintain a semblance of honor, yet achieving victory often through nefarious ways. Take the example of the Knights Templar. This group represents those who would try to seek total domination, stopping at nothing to achieve it, and with no mercy shown to those who stand in their way. The pirates themselves are one of the most entertaining and vibrant groups in the game. Their joy and spirit is extremely uplifting. Their personalities, unique sense of humor, and love of singing are as positive and uplifting as anything I've seen in video games. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your rear end in a top hat. Ubisoft's current direction seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially game series like the Tom Clancy series, the Far Cry series, and The Division. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I think that Ubisoft works best within the confines of the third-person, open-world, action game rather than being a general FPS artist, and I stress the word "artist." This is Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. A great, great game. A personal favorite.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 28, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Based on the betas the rebels don't seem like they have any role in anything other than being locked in cages and as an assist menu.

Maybe it's just me but nothing about the environment feels like an actual world. It's just An Open World Video Game with some things wandering around that you're not allowed to shoot.

e: loving lol that post

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

hug a mexican posted:

it really isn't though? it may come across that way but the intended script seems to be that you're, albeit morally ambiguous, still Good Guys fighting the Good Fight

To this end, I actually rather liked the admittedly cliche discussion the squad has about theoretically growing up in the area. It goes as you expect, with them all coming to the conclusion that most people would find Santa Blanca more appealing than making pennies a day farming. The bit I liked was a small line at the end, with one Ghost saying "Alright, just as long as we all agree the starting line is pretty gray here."

It probably helped that I never heard any of the "shitballs" stuff mentioned elsewhere in the thread. For the most part the dialogue I heard was completely passable. It gave the impression that these were tired guys who would really rather be at home. They made jokes about their kids, and some other small talk, but mostly it was just a straightforward "let's get this done" vibe.

Edit: gently caress everything I just wrote holy poo poo read that Count Freebasie post if you didn't goddamn

Sdoots fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 28, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Count Freebasie posted:

Do you like Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag? I've been a big Ubisoft fan since the release of their 2007 game, Assassin's Creed II. Before that, I didn't really understand any of their work. Too dated, too intellectual. It was in Far Cry 3 where their expertise in making open-world, action shooters really became more apparent. I think AC IV: Black Flag was their undisputed masterpiece. it combined elements of history and storytelling with the added benefits of a fluid, open-world, gameplay experience, which at the same time enhanced the meaning of the previous releases. Christy, take off your robe. Look at the brilliant gameplay, graphics, and interaction with the scenery and NPCs. You can practically feel the physical connection you have with the large and expansive in-game world. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of story writing, and the expansiveness of the open world of the Caribbean and it's islands, this game hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the example of Edward Kenway. He struggles with the harshness of being shunned by the outer world, while trying to maintain a semblance of honor, yet achieving victory often through nefarious ways. Take the example of the Knights Templar. This group represents those who would try to seek total domination, stopping at nothing to achieve it, and with no mercy shown to those who stand in their way. The pirates themselves are one of the most entertaining and vibrant groups in the game. Their joy and spirit is extremely uplifting. Their personalities, unique sense of humor, and love of singing are as positive and uplifting as anything I've seen in video games. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your rear end in a top hat. Ubisoft's current direction seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially game series like the Tom Clancy series, the Far Cry series, and The Division. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I think that Ubisoft works best within the confines of the third-person, open-world, action game rather than being a general FPS artist, and I stress the word "artist." This is Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. A great, great game. A personal favorite.

So tell me. How do you feel about chainsaws?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a lot of problems with the way the game glorifies what you're doing, but I think claiming the player character is our antagonist gets pretty ridiculous. I don't know where the hell you come from that someone torturing, racketeering and murdering their way to the top counts as the lesser of two evils.

Reminded of the fuss surrounding the Divison for similar reasons - I saw a lot of criticism go so far as to try and portray the player character as someone who was gunning down unarmed protestors. Like loving hell guys, bad mouth the concept all you want but at least understand the bloody context.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CrashCat posted:

Yeah I was on PS4, so that probably explains some of the problems and the "buy now" screen that I had.

Sure enough the PS4 task force worked right away, no weird error messages :geno:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Major Isoor posted:

You really need to ask why a US special forces unit is destabilizing a foreign government, in an attempt to hinder the drug trade? Just 'Cause! :v:

oh god, I ended up spending far too much time on this lovely bad joke that I'm sure has already been told a million times :shepicide:

You put in some effort with that 'shop so it's all good.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Now I want a grapple gun so I can attach myself to the back of a gun and drive-by Druglords from my parachute shooting them with my tacticlol Skorpion as my buddy pops up from the trunk to lay down some LMG fire.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

hug a mexican posted:

like if you were being portrayed as the "bad guys" you would probably be assisting the cartel/government forces in putting the kibosh on the rebel movement, which would also be a more interesting narrative since that hasn't been done millions of times yet

Why are the government forces the "bad guys" here? They're trying to use what power they have to stop the violence. They're not in league with the cartels. They still fight them all the time.

That was the main thing I was getting at about being the bad guys, the game doesn't care that you shot up a government military base or stole an ambulance to further your objective. That sort of collateral damage doesn't seem to matter.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It doesn't matter in the face of the war on drugs you god drat yellow bellied son of a bitch

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Would be cool to have large drones on call to conduct air strikes both in a useful and awesome way, as well as wink winking to current events.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Dr. Stab posted:

Why are the government forces the "bad guys" here? They're trying to use what power they have to stop the violence. They're not in league with the cartels. They still fight them all the time.

That was the main thing I was getting at about being the bad guys, the game doesn't care that you shot up a government military base or stole an ambulance to further your objective. That sort of collateral damage doesn't seem to matter.

They are brown duh. :boom:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
lol actually look up some of the poo poo cartels and their members from the top on down have done if you want to start saying they're the good guys, like holy poo poo it's some of the closest to objectively evil in the modern era you can get without going full ISIS lmao

if anything more of them should be gunned down by helicopter like that one boss was a few weeks back

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah, I find that troubling as well and will exclusively play a "No collateral damage" run. That is, I will yell "ROE Change: Everybody declared a hostile" in a heavy Texan accent before shooting pixelmans.

I think that adequately solves this moral conundrum.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dr. Stab posted:

from what i get the goverment or at least the right wing unidad has basically turned a blind eye to the cartels and activly helps them in some cases and your helping the not sandanistas get rid of unidad and the cartel.

Shima Honnou posted:

lol actually look up some of the poo poo cartels and their members from the top on down have done if you want to start saying they're the good guys, like holy poo poo it's some of the closest to objectively evil in the modern era you can get without going full ISIS lmao

if anything more of them should be gunned down by helicopter like that one boss was a few weeks back

yeah cartels irl are loving ISIS level horrible, they do some loving horrible poo poo. in another game i might question the morality poo poo, but cartels are loving scumfucks, this isn't some dude growing weed on his farm.

Dr. Stab posted:

because Unidad became a right wing paramilitary in a loose league with the cartel.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah cartels irl are loving ISIS level horrible, they do some loving horrible poo poo.

In case you think this is an exaggeration

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
The cartel dudes regularly hang around on the side of the road next to dead bodies hanging from posts. I don't think there's a lot of nuance to the idea that they're the baddies.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

robotsinmyhead posted:

The cartel dudes regularly hang around on the side of the road next to dead bodies hanging from posts. I don't think there's a lot of nuance to the idea that they're the baddies.

Cut down 100 desecrated corpses from around the map to get an achievement. It's the Ubisoft way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

from what i get the goverment or at least the right wing unidad has basically turned a blind eye to the cartels and activly helps them in some cases and your helping the not sandanistas get rid of unidad and the cartel.

Unidad are explicitly taking bribes from the cartel, yeah. "Officially" they're there to keep the peace, but unofficially...

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I'm not saying that the cartels aren't bad guys. I'm saying that the way the game presents your actions, you don't really care about the well being of the people of Bolivia. You're giving aid to armed rebels of (according to the game) a dangerous ideology to fuel what is (according to the game) a revenge mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Cut down 100 desecrated corpses from around the map to get an achievement. It's the Ubisoft way.

Can't shoot the ropes on them, I tried. :(

• Locked thread