Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

precision posted:

Yeah, to me season 4 will probably turn out to be the quiet before the storm season. Season 3 was so tense and the stakes were so high, and then season 4 pulled back to focus mostly on the family again, and I assume seasons 5 and 6 (there's only gonna be 6, right?) will be pretty much nonstop. Hold onto yer butts, etc.

Yeah it really did feel this way but there was some pretty major poo poo going on I liked Elizabeth's character arc as the season went on and she became closer to her friend and how harsh she was to Phillip over him send Marg to Russia. Stan turning to a more darker path towards the end. Lots of characters died this season but it was for a purpose and didn't feel callous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Thanks to whoever mentioned Patriot. This is loving fantastic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm on episode 6 and I don't know how it keeps getting better

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Season 3 of Broadchurch started tonight.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Glad you guys get it. His singing blew me away.

precision posted:

Kingtheninja posted:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In fact, at this point I don't even know how to describe Patriot. In the first couple episodes, I could call it "black comedy spy stuff", but it so quickly goes so far beyond that. The structure of each episode is dizzying, there are flash-forwards and flash-backs constantly and it never feels excessive.

But it's also a dark workplace comedy, it's also a tense spy thriller, it's also an arty farty mumblecore Wes Anderson/Hal Hartley farce, it's... it's just fuckin' great. Man. It is really super.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

precision posted:

I only finished the first episode so this is good news.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

:crickets:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

In fact, at this point I don't even know how to describe Patriot. In the first couple episodes, I could call it "black comedy spy stuff", but it so quickly goes so far beyond that. The structure of each episode is dizzying, there are flash-forwards and flash-backs constantly and it never feels excessive.

But it's also a dark workplace comedy, it's also a tense spy thriller, it's also an arty farty mumblecore Wes Anderson/Hal Hartley farce, it's... it's just fuckin' great. Man. It is really super.

If you go back to where i first brought it up, someone asked me about it... i didn't want to try and label it, it's just like Mr Robot in that it's separate from everything close to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kingtheninja posted:

I only finished the first episode so this is good news.

oh my god i'm so jealous of you, you have no idea what you're in for here

Rocksicles posted:

If you go back to where i first brought it up, someone asked me about it... i didn't want to try and label it, it's just like Mr Robot in that it's separate from everything close to it.

Yeah, it is easily Mr. Robot tier in a lot of ways.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Huh

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The BBC version, not the failed Fox version.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that had a different name.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Patriot is loving amazing. It's like, I dunno, a cross between Coen Brothers and Shane Black.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Yeah, Patriot is loving amazing. It's like, I dunno, a cross between Coen Brothers and Shane Black.

Also reminds me a bit of Fargo with how well they tie all the extremely disparate elements together seemingly without even trying. It's magical. It's like the best 10 hour movie I've ever seen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

The BBC version was also extremely bad (after season 1)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I thought it was pretty good, but I'm a sucker for British mysteries.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Give Kurtwood Smith all the awards for Patriot

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Season 4 of The Americans was super loving good. I am surprised though because the ending of the season was rather low key. Like a lot of poo poo happened but it wasn't this huge " AHHhhhh IN YOUR FACE" ending.

Yeah, it was pretty weird. There was an episode earlier in the season that I was SURE was a season finale and I was shocked to see there was still like 5 episodes to go. It was the one that ended with the conclusion to the Martha storyline, the massive time jump and the montage at the end with them watching David Copperfield making the Statue of Liberty disappear.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Give Kurtwood Smith all the awards for Patriot

Yeah.

I felt so bad for him in episode 6 with his breakfast disappointment. An assortment of muffins and breakfast breads. A whole spread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The High Court is incredibly bad. People should be fired over this.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IRQ posted:

Let's just remember that the most positive portrayal of transpeople in the early 90s was Robin Williams with his fake boobs on fire.

Twin Peaks

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

GreenNight posted:

Regy Rusty posted:

The BBC version was also extremely bad (after season 1)

It's not a BBC show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It aired on BBC America in the US so it's confusing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Also BBC is just shorthand for all British shows.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Broadchurch airs on ITV, hence the badness. ITV shows are only good for one season max (see Downton). Although I turned off Broadchurch 10 minutes into the first ep after one of the most false-sounding exchanges I've ever heard on TV regarding suicide spots so yeah.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So what's the deal with Patriot? I saw it listed as a comedy, and for the most part that's not really my thing unless it's a show like Always Sunny. Is there actually a good story that's treated seriously there?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
It's not really a comedy. Just watch the first episode. Trying to shove it into a single genre doesn't work.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'll add it into my queue then, thanks!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It is definitely a comedy. But it's like, a dark dramedy. Sometimes very dark. And sad.

But unmistakably comedy.

Like think of if The Big Lebowski, The Nice Guys, and Sicario all went into a blender. It's a bit like that. Its definitely got its own flavor, and it's real good.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I guess dramedy is an OK word for it. It isn't a traditional comedy in my opinion though. It's a comedy the same way that Louie is a comedy I guess. I find that far removed from what most people think of when they hear TV comedy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Eezee posted:

I guess dramedy is an OK word for it. It isn't a traditional comedy in my opinion though. It's a comedy the same way that Louie is a comedy I guess. I find that far removed from what most people think of when they hear TV comedy.

I mean thats probably true, but like, it's still a comedy. Like, despite all the dark and serious poo poo going on, it is also a constant stream of circumstancial and dialogue-based gags.

But yeah. It just needs to be watched to be understood.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wow, this year better loving deliver on the drama front if it's even going to stand a chance in up-ending Patriot. Christ what a well put together show. For anyone on the edge about watching it's very similar to Young Pope in tone.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Thanks guys I wanted to do productive things this weekend but I guess I'm binging Patriot instead.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
People make it sound like a darker version of Archer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's not remotely as crude as Archer.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's not that kind of comedy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Usually "critics give it average reviews and goons slobber over it" means something isn't that great, but after the surprise of Sneaky Pete I'm willing to give this a try.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
No seriously how the hell is Patriot like The Young Pope? Like, at all? It's an extremely dark and dry comedy where everything is completely straight except for the fact that it's all loving insane. It's not even remotely going for the same thing as The Young Pope, which had flights of whimsy and caustic humor but wasn't about that at all.

Also the first four episodes are just....a near-perfect farce. I'll buy it getting better but those four episodes alone would be worth watching even if the rest went to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Wow, this year better loving deliver on the drama front if it's even going to stand a chance in up-ending Patriot. Christ what a well put together show. For anyone on the edge about watching it's very similar to Young Pope in tone.

I think Legion is the best thing running right now.

• Locked thread