Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's no surprise that metro Detroit has been steered (heh) into being extremely car-centric and has an incredibly lovely public transportation system. It may, however, be a surprise that we also have lovely roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

It's no surprise that metro Detroit has been steered (heh) into being extremely car-centric and has an incredibly lovely public transportation system. It may, however, be a surprise that we also have lovely roads.

People loving hate paying taxes in Michigan.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

People loving hate paying taxes in Michigan.
I'd rather pay taxes than replace my suspension/cars on the reg. :(

eta: OH poo poo the conspiracy deepens! :tinfoil:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I always thought Q-Tips were called that because it meant something like "quilted tip". Turns out they were invented by the rapper, Ice-T.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

I'd rather pay taxes than replace my suspension/cars on the reg. :(

eta: OH poo poo the conspiracy deepens! :tinfoil:

So would I, but voters don't, apparently. My parents' neighborhood had potholes you could sit in until recently.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's the same as the people who go "my public school system sucks. It doesn't have (program) or (feature)" but refuse to pass anything giving them more money.

The district I graduated from in 2007 is still trying to get the same tax increase passed they were back then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Len posted:

It's the same as the people who go "my public school system sucks. It doesn't have (program) or (feature)" but refuse to pass anything giving them more money.

The district I graduated from in 2007 is still trying to get the same tax increase passed they were back then.

It's the same poo poo that's been going on for decades. My school district covered an area that was fantastically wealthy compared to the rest of the district. Yet most of them were older and their kids were gone, so they readily defeated referendums for the school district when I was in high school. There was one poo poo of a lawyer that lived there that would take our full page ads in the local paper against any school referendum.

It reversed for about 15 years, where referendums for school budgets mostly passed, but I'm hearing it's back to how it was when I was in school.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I always vote for better school funding because making smart kids is, uh, really loving important.

Like how is this a difficult concept.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

I always vote for better school funding because making smart kids is, uh, really loving important.

Because then you have to spend more money?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Inzombiac posted:

Right but _I_ don't have kids, or my kids are already out of school so why is it in my interest to pay??? It's not like I live in some sort of interlinked "society" or something.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't mind voting for school funding if they actually taught kids important knowledge, instead of just how evil white people are, and evolution

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I wouldn't mind voting for school funding if they actually taught kids important knowledge, instead of just how evil white people are, and evolution

You must have gone to a different style place than me, we learned how great while people are and evolution.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Next to lead in the water, defunding schools is the best way to ensure a strong conservative voting base.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Increasing school funding doesn't necessarily correlate to better results though. If the roof is leaking or they actually have no money for books, then yes, it helps. If the administration has a good plan and needs some more funds to see it through, it helps. There are lots of failing schools that had their funding increased and absolutely nothing happened.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/04/25/468157856/can-more-money-fix-americas-schools

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Better fund no schools ever then, why bother in the first place.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Croccers posted:

Better fund no schools ever then, why bother in the first place.

Gosh, that sounds like a terrible idea but I respect your freedom to hold your opinions. Namaste.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hogmartin posted:

Increasing school funding doesn't necessarily correlate to better results though. If the roof is leaking or they actually have no money for books, then yes, it helps. If the administration has a good plan and needs some more funds to see it through, it helps. There are lots of failing schools that had their funding increased and absolutely nothing happened.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/04/25/468157856/can-more-money-fix-americas-schools

Lol if you think that this matters at all. I was part of a school district where entire rooms flooded with sewage, causing multiple thousands of dollars of damage multiple times a year, and bricks were falling off the facade so regularly that entire sidewalks were closed permanently for fear of getting brained, and it still took decades to get a referendum to pass to fix that poo poo. This was in an extremely affluent part of the country and the tax increase came out to like four dollars per household annually. Greedy people are assholes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Earth and all life were created in six 24-hour periods, 10,000–6,000 years ago! :aaa: :eng101:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Today I learned that Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday are the same thing.

I also learned that there's more than 40 days of Lent* on the calendar because Sundays don't count.

I feel like I'm learning a lot today.

*March 1 to April 13 this year, for reference

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Lol if you think that this matters at all. I was part of a school district where entire rooms flooded with sewage, causing multiple thousands of dollars of damage multiple times a year, and bricks were falling off the facade so regularly that entire sidewalks were closed permanently for fear of getting brained, and it still took decades to get a referendum to pass to fix that poo poo. This was in an extremely affluent part of the country and the tax increase came out to like four dollars per household annually. Greedy people are assholes.

I don't think we're really disagreeing on anything here. The case you're talking about is critical quality-of-life health and safety poo poo that should have been funded and fixed. My point, to the extent that I had one, was that giving more money to a school system doesn't necessarily correlate into better-educated students, especially if the administration is corrupt or incompetent. There are excellent schools that don't get much funding, and school systems that don't get results even though they're like trying to smother a dumpster fire with money. Institutional attitude and motivation counts for a lot.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hogmartin posted:

I don't think we're really disagreeing on anything here. The case you're talking about is critical quality-of-life health and safety poo poo that should have been funded and fixed. My point, to the extent that I had one, was that giving more money to a school system doesn't necessarily correlate into better-educated students, especially if the administration is corrupt or incompetent. There are excellent schools that don't get much funding, and school systems that don't get results even though they're like trying to smother a dumpster fire with money. Institutional attitude and motivation counts for a lot.

ok, you're right sometimes people are incompetent even if they work in schools. good point, very useful.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

hogmartin posted:

and school systems that don't get results even though they're like trying to smother a dumpster fire with money.

Yeah, but we're talking public schools here, so what's your point exactly?

e: like lol outright at you thinking that there are publicly funded schools that have piles of money, regardless of what level of competency you expect from your educational system, you're a really loving stupid person

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Feb 28, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Also, if you give money to the poor they'll just use it on drugs and lobster. Nasty, nasty poors.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, but we're talking public schools here, so what's your point exactly?

e: like lol outright at you thinking that there are publicly funded schools that have piles of money, regardless of what level of competency you expect from your educational system, you're a really loving stupid person

My point was that increasing funding does not always correlate to test scores or grades or graduation rates. That's all. Nothing brilliant or earth-shattering. I have no idea why that's controversial. If there's a school where students are at risk from a geyser of liquified human waste or having bricks fall on them, and they can't find a way to budget for that, then yes, they need more funding and they should get it immediately. If it's a school that can comfortably pay for staff, facilities, equipment, and programs, just adding money doesn't mean the students come out better at the other end. FWIW I've voted for the education millage on every ballot I've voted (despite being a really loving stupid person), because the schools here are well-managed and produce well-educated graduates.

Now I'm late for my Snidely Whiplash mustache waxing, plus I need to collect the kids from my cousin/wife so I can take them to the museum to teach them to firebomb Satan's Lies in the dinosaur exhibit.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

You are still missing the point that there are no public schools "smothering dumpster fires with money", because there are no public schools with that much money. You're trying to argue that loving Bigfoot would be much better off using Brand X of athlete's foot paste and I'm over here smacking you with a newspaper telling you to stop imagining problems that don't exist.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

fullroundaction posted:

Today I learned that Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday are the same thing.

I also learned that there's more than 40 days of Lent* on the calendar because Sundays don't count.

I feel like I'm learning a lot today.

*March 1 to April 13 this year, for reference

Mardi Gras literally translates in French to "Tuesday Fat"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I guess it's not some obvious thing unless you read a million books but today I learned that the manchurian candidate's prose was mostly plagiarized from other books

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Seen this in multiple threads now: how can you be an adult for multiple years without ever having had rum? Did you recently leave the Amish community?

I didn't drink until my early 30s, and when I did my first bartender steered me towards bottled domestics when I said "I've never really drank before, what should I do that won't kill me?". To this day I'm not really into hard liquors.

Kinda more E/N, but it's related to the above and thematically related: me and my partner had a small get-together the other day for lunch, and included were a few of my partner's ex-coworkers from a bar that she worked with, and I knew well from being a regular there. While reminiscing, we went down a rabbit hole of learning things that everyone else assumed everyone knew.

- I had no idea that a server at the bar had a big crush on me, at one point.
- I had no idea that this server was so sex-positive that she'd want to throw down with me for funsies; I figured she was just being Server At A Bar Nice, and she was just cute enough that I figured she was out of my league.
- My partner had no idea that I didn't know the above. She figured that the two of us had hooked up at some point (again, this server was casual about hookups, the notion that we didn't was something not considered) before we started dating, and just kept it on the down-low because my partner and the server weren't the best of friends.
- Everyone who worked in the bar assumed that the unfriendly relationship between my partner and the server was the fact that I had went from the server to my partner. The boss would even set schedules knowing I'd be in on Day X and wouldn't schedule the two together on Day X just to avoid issues/backroom squabbling.

Since that day, I've gotten a handful of texts from people who worked there at the time - some I haven't spoken to in years - because evidently me hooking up with Samantha was some fundamental underpinning of a bunch of people's memories of a place they worked.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MisterBibs posted:

I didn't drink until my early 30s, and when I did my first bartender steered me towards bottled domestics when I said "I've never really drank before, what should I do that won't kill me?". To this day I'm not really into hard liquors.

Kinda more E/N, but it's related to the above and thematically related: me and my partner had a small get-together the other day for lunch, and included were a few of my partner's ex-coworkers from a bar that she worked with, and I knew well from being a regular there. While reminiscing, we went down a rabbit hole of learning things that everyone else assumed everyone knew.

- I had no idea that this server was so sex-positive that she'd want to throw down with me for funsies; I figured she was just being Server At A Bar Nice, and she was just cute enough that I figured she was out of my league.
- My partner had no idea that I didn't know the above. She figured that the two of us had hooked up at some point (again, this server was casual about hookups, the notion that we didn't was something not considered) before we started dating, and just kept it on the down-low because my partner and the server weren't the best of friends.
- Everyone who worked in the bar assumed that the unfriendly relationship between my partner and the server was the fact that I had went from the server to my partner. The boss would even set schedules knowing I'd be in on Day X and wouldn't schedule the two together on Day X just to avoid issues/backroom squabbling.

Since that day, I've gotten a handful of texts from people who worked there at the time - some I haven't spoken to in years - because evidently me hooking up with Samantha was some fundamental underpinning of a bunch of people's memories of a place they worked.

So you just posted all this, huh? Just fuckin went for it. Fuckin A

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

purple death ray posted:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

MisterBibs posted:

God, you are such a weenie that you probably choked on yourself.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Unironically

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

To be honest, I didn't figure it would wind up being as verbose as it wound up being. But then it was, and I had already prefaced it with the E/N disclaimer, so I figured that the whole conversation was about how everyone in the discussion learned something they couldn't believe they just figured out, I kept it.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

MisterBibs posted:

To be honest, I didn't figure it would wind up being as verbose as it wound up being. But then it was, and I had already prefaced it with the E/N disclaimer, so I figured that the whole conversation was about how everyone in the discussion learned something they couldn't believe they just figured out, I kept it.

So did you gently caress anyone or what?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ferrule posted:

No; it sounds like he choked

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Garrand posted:

No; it sounds like he choked

:drat:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Today is found out that "Holliday" is a song by Madonna.
I never really thought about it and assumed it was Cindi Lauper or something.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ferrule posted:

I just had a three year anniversary last week with one of them that I did, so I feel pretty good about how it all sussed out.

Content: grabbing a quick bite before work, and only today did someone, at all the McDonald's I've ever gone to, tell me that I don't have to say "no egg" when ordering a sausage mcmuffin. I thought they came with egg and I had to specify no-egg, it turns out it's the opposite. Kinda weird that I find this out at a point in my life where I'm trying to reduce my fast food consumption a bit.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

MisterBibs posted:

I just had a three year anniversary last week with one of them that I did, so I feel pretty good about how it all sussed out.

Content: grabbing a quick bite before work, and only today did someone, at all the McDonald's I've ever gone to, tell me that I don't have to say "no egg" when ordering a sausage mcmuffin. I thought they came with egg and I had to specify no-egg, it turns out it's the opposite. Kinda weird that I find this out at a point in my life where I'm trying to reduce my fast food consumption a bit.

Well congrats for that and for also loving this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Please go eat a hot dog.