Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Can Brettonians do those beautifully cinematic and unrealistic cavalry charges like in The Two Towers where Theoden and company suddenly sack up and plow through like ten thousand orcs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dramicus posted:

This is by design; you are forgetting that the Empire is based off of the Holy Roman Empire. That kind of poo poo actually happened in real life. Had the HRE ever managed to completely unify against a single foe, they would have curb-stomped any nation in Europe. But they were never really able to rise above being bickering elector states and dukedoms. Thus they were picked apart by other nations taking advantage of their internal strife, especially after contested elections, which is what Franz is dealing with at the beginning of the game.

I know that, but the current system reflects neither the HRE nor the warhammer lore Empire. It'd just be more fun to have some mechanics like Bretonnia has, especially if Todbringer becomes playable so that he can contest the election in some way beyond just kicking in Altdorf. It might also help buff Franz which would help make bad guy campaigns more challenging. The Empire is supposed to be the biggest order faction but it's super easy to poo poo all over them one or two pieces at a time. Or just walk into Reikland and burn it down for a "win" even though all the rest of the country is fluorishing.

As it stands they're just feuding kingdoms with no indication that they're meant to be part of a larger system.

Also, as Franz, steamrolling lovely free company stacks over and over instead of fighting your real enemies is dull as gently caress.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

by.a.teammate posted:

Do you lose him after a set amount of turns once he's summoned? I'm not really clear on that

Yes, he goes away after 15(?) turns.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

jokes posted:

If I'm unable to occupy enemy settlements as Brettonia something is wrong right?
Given that no one else is answering you, yes something is very wrong with your game. Brettonia can occupy all human/vampire settlements as per normal.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I have never been as hard as I was watching grail knights charge downhill into a bunch of gobbo archers trying to run away.

Does anyone else have bret factions being really stubborn to confederate? I've got the heraldry techs with my neighbours and like +200 relations, and I'm strongrer than them. Is it because their filthy all-peasant armies technically outnumber my noble all-cav force?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Panfilo posted:

Can Brettonians do those beautifully cinematic and unrealistic cavalry charges like in The Two Towers where Theoden and company suddenly sack up and plow through like ten thousand orcs?

Seconding this, I'm stuck at work and daydreaming about crushing thousands of greenskins and beastmen under a sea of hooves. :black101:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

brakeless posted:

I have never been as hard as I was watching grail knights charge downhill into a bunch of gobbo archers trying to run away.

Does anyone else have bret factions being really stubborn to confederate? I've got the heraldry techs with my neighbours and like +200 relations, and I'm strongrer than them. Is it because their filthy all-peasant armies technically outnumber my noble all-cav force?

I did for ages, but once one confederated it seemed to start a domino effect. I had the entire kingdom unified by Turn 91.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Jamwad Hilder posted:

You'll wanna save at least one or two for the Errantry War final event. Its pretty loving hard, well the war vs Chaos is anyway. I can't beat it on VH/VH and I'm thinking about just ditching this campaign to do a new one/pick Errantry War vs Greenskins as my final event.

I just beat my first Bretonnia campaign as the Fay Enchantress. I also picked Chaos for the Errantry war, but it was pretty easy for me, you just need to get the most elite army you can. I replaced Louen's entire army with him, a Life Damsel and Paladin I'd been leveling most of the game, Ramirez, and then 2 Royal Hippogriphs, 2 Royal Pegasus Knights, 4 Grail Knights and 8 Grail Guardians. The Grail Knights+Louen handled the entire Kholek reinforcement, and by the time Sarthoreal showed up their main army was destroyed so I could charge the Guardians into his blob. I ended up losing about half my forces, but I also played really sloppily.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

brakeless posted:

Just a guess but I think Chivalry has an effect, I've gotten maybe the first three confederation techs and they only seemed happy to confederate after I threw my weight around a bit. so going from 100ish chivalry and getting the artois tech, artois then confederated after I'd beaten mousillon and was up around 200ish chivalry and got my first green knight summon.

Edit: Also the bretonnian provinces are dipshits about just building all peasant forces, I've disbanded 75% of all the units I inherit through confederation because of the malus on peasants.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 28, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Isabella time :getin:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Played a Bordeleaux game to 100 or so turns, stopping when I picked a fight with the Wood Elves just as Chaos began their first push, which didn't end well since I was "role-playing" in the sense that I avoided all options that inflicted negative chivalry, so I didn't have ambushes to isolate their stacks and didn't war with my fellow Bretonnians. They managed to prosper until then too, so Leoncoeur inherited a united Bretonnia apart from Mousillon, leaving me with a three-region economy that could only support one full stack of pre-Grail units.

Maybe I ought to get over my dislike for confederating other factions, even if they're terrible at allocating skill points. Also, I probably could've summoned the Green "Ramirez" Knight for that Wood Elf battle. Oh well.

Alberic's skill tree seems to suggest that he's better off as a strategically-defensive Lord, since his Knights of the Realm get crazy boosts and one of his early blue skills gives a whopping 150% bonus to port income to the region he's in, which means he's better off camping Bordeleaux while other Lords fight elsewhere.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What are you people doing to make Marienburg sue for peace? I got locked into my castle by their two stacks, skull smasherz' two stacks and the incursion's one stack and lose the campaign by turn 20. If I blitz the skullsmasherz before they can build up, marienburg will annihilate my army on their turn and besiege my capital the turn after, leaving me with, at best, a generic lord and four tier 1 peasant units if I can even afford that with the bret's abysmal economy, to fend off the incursion orcs because all recruitment buildings are in the capital.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I just defeated Khazrak One-Eye in combat with Louen and received a special ability as a reward! Could there be specials out there for defeating all of the faction leaders?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Isabella's live.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Asehujiko posted:

What are you people doing to make Marienburg sue for peace? I got locked into my castle by their two stacks, skull smasherz' two stacks and the incursion's one stack and lose the campaign by turn 20. If I blitz the skullsmasherz before they can build up, marienburg will annihilate my army on their turn and besiege my capital the turn after, leaving me with, at best, a generic lord and four tier 1 peasant units if I can even afford that with the bret's abysmal economy, to fend off the incursion orcs because all recruitment buildings are in the capital.

Siege Marienburg turn 1 and they'll sue for peace. Then spend the next 20 turns beating up on orc raiders in your territory. You'll get your troops to rank up heavily, and then you can smash Marienburg easily.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
For some reason I cannot stop laughing even time I summon Ramirez.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

canepazzo posted:

Isabella's live.

I thought she was a vampire :confused:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Siege Marienburg turn 1 and they'll sue for peace. Then spend the next 20 turns beating up on orc raiders in your territory. You'll get your troops to rank up heavily, and then you can smash Marienburg easily.
In my experience, sieging Marienburg only gets Louen and his at this point irreplaceable knights killed by the Skullsmasherz riding to the empire's rescue and I'm in an even worse version of the 1 understrength army vs 5 full stacks death spiral.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Asehujiko posted:

In my experience, sieging Marienburg only gets Louen and his at this point irreplaceable knights killed by the Skullsmasherz riding to the empire's rescue and I'm in an even worse version of the 1 understrength army vs 5 full stacks death spiral.

I've never actually been attacked by the Skullsmasherz, so I have no clue!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Helion posted:

I just defeated Khazrak One-Eye in combat with Louen and received a special ability as a reward! Could there be specials out there for defeating all of the faction leaders?

There's definitely one for Archaon, but I didn't notice any for Orion or Vlad or Durthu. I'll double check when I get home, don't remember what the Archaon one does.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rookersh posted:

For some reason I cannot stop laughing even time I summon Ramirez.

Is that Cataph's mod again?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Actually, come to think of it I am getting Ramirez and I do have both The Southern Realms and Kraka Drak mods enabled in my Bretonnia game.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
So on the topic of the Empire factions feeling separate and boring compared to Bretonnia, they should start out with no members at war, every faction is led by an elector count lord with the chance to become Emperor.

Franz is locked out of Ghal Maraz and the Hippogriff unless he is Emperor, gives the Runefang a purpose in his tree (also fix the models of characters to use alternate weapons if you haven't unlocked them).

There's a period of x number of turns where it's your goal to foster good relations with the other Empire factions in order to gain their votes. Declaring war in other Empire factions gives a massive hit to relations.

Smashing enemies of the Empire, de-corrupting provinces, donating income to the campaign fund, placing agents in Empire provinces to represent you in their court, promising council positions to electors with a weaker claim and maximising happiness in your territory, all these should contribute to final relations score that decides who becomes Emperor.

Then it's time for factions to decide based on relations, peacefully support the winner as their vassal or go to war for somebody else's claim, Empire goes to the victor.

Also include bonus option Vlad is a valid candidate as an Elector though has an innate debuff to relations cos he's dead.

Gg Empire fixed hire me CA

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Brettonia start:

Move louen to the Marienberg border. Disband the 2 peasant chaff units and recruit 2 men at arms/spearmen and 2 archers (or whatever mix u prefer. I like archers). End turn.

Attack skullsmashers. The battle isn't easy but it's not hard. Raze settlement. End turn.

Move louen back to your territory to recover casualties. End turn.

Move louen across the straight to the wasteland. There shouldn't be (much of a) army there. Take the province. End turn.

Marienberg will move it's main stack to couronne. Attack Marienberg and take the settlement. With superior archers and trebuchets the assault is pretty easy. Occupy and end turn. Now Marienberg is without territory and if it wants to continue its siege it'll take attrition and can be dealt with easily. Now you're free to move on your campaign as you like. Warning though, expect a massive 3-4 stack skaelings invasion by turn 20.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

It's kind of odd that the absolute best use for Alberic is to sit him in Marienburg so that you double and half again the income from the port.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Alberic the Generic

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Brettonia start:

Move louen to the Marienberg border. Disband the 2 peasant chaff units and recruit 2 men at arms/spearmen and 2 archers (or whatever mix u prefer. I like archers). End turn.

Attack skullsmashers. The battle isn't easy but it's not hard. Raze settlement. End turn.

Move louen back to your territory to recover casualties. End turn.

Move louen across the straight to the wasteland. There shouldn't be (much of a) army there. Take the province. End turn.

Marienberg will move it's main stack to couronne. Attack Marienberg and take the settlement. With superior archers and trebuchets the assault is pretty easy. Occupy and end turn. Now Marienberg is without territory and if it wants to continue its siege it'll take attrition and can be dealt with easily. Now you're free to move on your campaign as you like. Warning though, expect a massive 3-4 stack skaelings invasion by turn 20.
I'm with you here until the end of turn 2, then Marienburg deviates from the plan and obliterates Louen's depleted army at the ruins of the Skullsmasherz town.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

ZearothK posted:

Actually, come to think of it I am getting Ramirez and I do have both The Southern Realms and Kraka Drak mods enabled in my Bretonnia game.

I was wondering what the absolute gently caress you people were talking about because the Green Knight is called nothing other than 'the Green Knight' in my unmodded game so I'm glad this explanation has come along.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just sat at home building up and killing orcs and both Marienburg and Skaeling sued for peace on their own.

I did have a really chaotic battle vs Khazrak and Morghur. The autoresolve was like 90% in my favor, but since I had a solo lord trailing Louen for exp, the beasts attacked that stack so my whole army came in as reinforcements for the one dude. Beastmen are so fast that they were on top of me by the time my army was forming up and all my grail knights died in the confusion, but then Khazrak's stack got wiped by the time Morghur arrived. I wish reinforcements all started on the map, just give them different deployment zones if you have to separate them. It'd help the AI and stop dumb crap like that. That or let you set up a formation for your army to march in with, cuz it's way harder to do anything more than a single battleline outside of the deployment menu. But really I've had plenty of battles that went the other way, the AI forces were overwhelming but they politely come in 2 or 3 waves.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What are you supposed to do with Bretonnia once you grab Marienburg? Skullsmasher's been smashed, and there's no quest except "Obtain 400/1000 chivalry". gently caress around with Skaelings/Varg? Empire? Other frenchies? Karak Ziflin?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

canepazzo posted:

What are you supposed to do with Bretonnia once you grab Marienburg? Skullsmasher's been smashed, and there's no quest except "Obtain 400/1000 chivalry". gently caress around with Skaelings/Varg? Empire? Other frenchies? Karak Ziflin?

Fight the Dwarves. Cause they will declare war on you. That or deal with the billion and more stacks of norse men that somehow live in a snowy chaos ravaged wasteland.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, Fay Enchantress seems to have the easiest start. You don't start next to (and at war with) Marienburg, Khazrak generally wanders in turn 1-2 before he's actually built up much of an army, and after he's dispatched you can spend the next 20 turns building up her and another lord from the small greenskin stack incursions every few turns. Getting 5 extra peasant slots helps in the early game as well. Then you can go conquer Tilea if you want, and/or start confederating.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

canepazzo posted:

That's why I like to just let the orc revolts happen, and do everything you can to lower your own Control during that time. It's like 10 rebellions, and you get a good chunk of Chivalry for each one, since you fight two battles per rebellion if you attack right away, which you should. Easily hits that 400 chivalry threshold

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fellblade posted:

So on the topic of the Empire factions feeling separate and boring compared to Bretonnia, they should start out with no members at war, every faction is led by an elector count lord with the chance to become Emperor.

Franz is locked out of Ghal Maraz and the Hippogriff unless he is Emperor, gives the Runefang a purpose in his tree (also fix the models of characters to use alternate weapons if you haven't unlocked them).

There's a period of x number of turns where it's your goal to foster good relations with the other Empire factions in order to gain their votes. Declaring war in other Empire factions gives a massive hit to relations.

Smashing enemies of the Empire, de-corrupting provinces, donating income to the campaign fund, placing agents in Empire provinces to represent you in their court, promising council positions to electors with a weaker claim and maximising happiness in your territory, all these should contribute to final relations score that decides who becomes Emperor.

Then it's time for factions to decide based on relations, peacefully support the winner as their vassal or go to war for somebody else's claim, Empire goes to the victor.

Also include bonus option Vlad is a valid candidate as an Elector though has an innate debuff to relations cos he's dead.

Gg Empire fixed hire me CA

There are plenty of board games that are empire building with a layer of politics on top. Hell, the old GW game "Warrior Knights" is a great example on its own, and the remake by Fantasy Flight adds a "king" role that roughly maps to the Empire's situation. The best, simplest way to add the desired elements would be to strip down the Empire tech tree and replace it with laws that Karl can propose and pass with enough support. On my lunch break so I can't fully elaborate, but I've played enough Twilight Imperium and seen enough Paradox LPs to know that voting/lawmaking can be a blast if done right.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fay Enchantress is a beautiful and perfect super saiyan. She blows dudes up with the magical power of life as her normal melee attack. She also flies, and can up her own power level at no cost. Bretonnia has enough knights, I'm gonna stick with Bretonnian Goku as my LL.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Is anyone having a problem with their lords disengaging their targets? I swear, even if it's a 1v1 duel in the middle of a field, I constantly have to give my lord an attack order against the enemy lord or they just stand there doing literally nothing.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So as Bretonnia you have to sack/raze Mousillon. I tried attacking a gain to see if I could same-turn colonize but it brings up an inescapable siege menu with no clickable options. You can't hit ESC for the game menu either. Good thing I attritioned them to death cuz I would not want to refight a whole siege battle.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So are Mousillon like flagrant and open vampires or are they like pretending to be normal Bretonnians? Because they appear to be running armies of thousands of skellingtons across their dead and dying landscape, so it doesn't seem to be a very closely held secret.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jokes posted:

So are Mousillon like flagrant and open vampires or are they like pretending to be normal Bretonnians?

I assume they're "Lol vampire? Come duel me for that baseless slander!!" kinda guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

jokes posted:

So are Mousillon like flagrant and open vampires or are they like pretending to be normal Bretonnians? Because they appear to be running armies of thousands of skellingtons across their dead and dying landscape, so it doesn't seem to be a very closely held secret.

It's a horrible swamp whose inbred peasants can barely feed themselves that no one wants to go to so it's ruled by whichever undead tyrant has taken it over this decade, which happens to be the Red Duke this time.

• Locked thread