Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Further Reading posted:

A while back I talked about making a digital Mage: The Awakening 2E character sheet/diceroller for Discord. Well, I've done it.

I'm calling it Dicecord because I have a terrible sense of humour. It's got most of the fields from the standard mage 2 page character sheet + a notes tab and you can import/export characters. It also has a few extra twists like rote/praxis pool calculations and mana breakdown per equipped magic item. In the short term I want to add a way to switch to dark era skills (since my mage game is played in dark eras) but after that I am open to adding more splats. V:tR or C:tL are my initial targets as they are pretty similar to the mage one and also not Beast.

For rolling, you need to first enter a Discord webhook URL and, ideally, your Discord numeric userID. Then you hit the blue diamond that's obviously a D10 to open the roller menu and push the buttons. If it works properly your channel will be spammed like this when you make a roll:

I have it set up to report each result one at a time with a 1 second pause between each result. I wanted to capture that escalating feeling of excitement when you gather your exploded dice and reroll them. This can get quite spammy though so you may wanna save it for special occasions. If you want something quicker and less fun, you can use "Quiet Mode" which will summarise the roll in one line like this:

Pretty soon the bot will openly berate you for rolling badly, like the world's most disappointed father, but if you roll well it will tell you "good job, son" with all the sincerity that a discord text bot can muster.

It's completely free and Open Source. You can download a windows installer from my website and the source code + ReadMe is also available on github. I don't know how to do a mac installer, but if there's demand I'll figure it out! I the mean time, if you grab the source code + asset folders from the github, install python 3.5 and the PyQt5 package you should be able to run it on any platform. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to throw suggestions/bug reports in here, by PM or on github.

Will definitely use this if I ever run mage online. You're awesome dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Further Reading posted:

A while back I talked about making a digital Mage: The Awakening 2E character sheet/diceroller for Discord. Well, I've done it.

(snip)

It's completely free and Open Source. You can download a windows installer from my website and the source code + ReadMe is also available on github. I don't know how to do a mac installer, but if there's demand I'll figure it out! I the mean time, if you grab the source code + asset folders from the github, install python 3.5 and the PyQt5 package you should be able to run it on any platform. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to throw suggestions/bug reports in here, by PM or on github.

This is awesome and you are awesome for making it

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
This is relevant to my interests - thanks! I'll have to give it a spin, and provide more substantive praise/feedback when I do.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Looks like David Hill is working on a heartbreaker.

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/836028824026435584

e: edit is not quote

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 27, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Further Reading posted:

Pretty soon the bot will openly berate you for rolling badly, like the world's most disappointed father, but if you roll well it will tell you "good job, son" with all the sincerity that a discord text bot can muster.

This looks pretty cool, but I gotta know if this is verbatim, or if the bot will be programmed with the knowledge that girls can play elfgames too

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

More:

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/836051421522862080

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Where do I sign up to write for Hill.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

This looks pretty cool, but I gotta know if this is verbatim, or if the bot will be programmed with the knowledge that girls can play elfgames too

I will do my best to to teach the bot to be accepting of 2017's diverse gaming community.

Thanks all for the positive comments! Means a lot to me, even if it's just first impressions so far!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Mendrian posted:

Where do I sign up to write for Hill.

I asked this as well.

FWIW he seems receptive to poo poo on twitter. Talking to him about Paradox (the Mage thing, not the company) earlier was fun.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ZiegeDame posted:

I'm gonna call whatever kids I might have "son" regardless of gender. :colbert:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm gonna call whatever kids I might have "son" regardless of gender. :colbert:

You're gonna have a hell of a time when your daughters become teens.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

"good job, human progeny"

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Further Reading posted:

"good job, human progeny"

"You did well, biological offspring"

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

So I take it he's quitting OPP then? Or is this just an indie project?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Archonex posted:

So I take it he's quitting OPP then? Or is this just an indie project?

I think it's indie but- well, you can imagine how the last two weeks could burn someone out pretty hard.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Senior Scarybagels posted:

"You did well, biological offspring"

Make a compromise check.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Make a compromise check.

I got no successes and I am turning it into a Dramatic Failure.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mors Rattus posted:

You're gonna have a hell of a time when your daughters become teens.
Let's be fair, my kids are gonna have a hell of a time from day 1.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cease to Hope posted:

e: edit is not quote

You know, I feel like calling my landlord a 'gatherer' glosses over certain crucial aspects of our relationship.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I think David Hill's piece on his new game's vampires is more reflective of the modern vampire game-as-played than prescriptive. The sating of the primal blood-thirst has always been the Most Brutal Handwave In All Of Gaming, and treating it as an ambient feature of your territory ownership is a better way to ground it in narrative and game mechanical constructs than hogging the spotlight for an elongated midnight snack run.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 27, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If I were writing a vampire game from scratch I'd ditch the aristocratic element entirely (I'd have other plans for literally representing the evils of capitalism, mind) and go for the third option -- vampires as scavengers. Make it more corpse-eating than blood-sucking, all about these abject creatures trying to survive on something society throws away but puts too much symbolic importance on to be okay with cannibalism. Instead of victimizers, you have creatures desperate to secure steady access to medical waste, and only even contemplating murder when they have no other way of getting bodies and finding violence as horrifying and unnatural as it is for regular people. Instead of the horror being "oh woe is me I'm a monster with superpowers," the horror is that everything you do just to survive is repulsive, and you're not really even hurting anyone until deprivation forces you into it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Of course I probably just described off-brand Promethean more than anything else.

If I were going to use David Hill's vampires, they'd have to be antagonists. And that mostly only so I could use the title Stake Your Landlord.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

So, less Vampire: The Subtitling and more Ghoul: The Hunger?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Silhouette posted:

So, less Vampire: The Subtitling and more Ghoul: The Hunger?

Yup. You could do a whole cycle of outsider / abject monsters, even. Witches a la The VVitch, where you've sold your soul to Satan because survival and/or patriarchy left you no other real option. Frankenstein's monster doesn't need much in the way of changes. Werewolves could do a thing where the first change causes you to lose control completely and the rest of their narrative is about reclaiming your life while being hunted by whoever their involuntary rampage hurt. Basically exploring monstrosity as a consequence of denial and mistreatment, neither justifying it nor demonizing it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 27, 2017

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If I were writing a vampire game from scratch I'd ditch the aristocratic element entirely (I'd have other plans for literally representing the evils of capitalism, mind) and go for the third option -- vampires as scavengers. Make it more corpse-eating than blood-sucking, all about these abject creatures trying to survive on something society throws away but puts too much symbolic importance on to be okay with cannibalism. Instead of victimizers, you have creatures desperate to secure steady access to medical waste, and only even contemplating murder when they have no other way of getting bodies and finding violence as horrifying and unnatural as it is for regular people. Instead of the horror being "oh woe is me I'm a monster with superpowers," the horror is that everything you do just to survive is repulsive, and you're not really even hurting anyone until deprivation forces you into it.

Isnt that just the Strigoi vampires from Warhammer Fantasy?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If I was writing a vampire game from scratch it'd pretty much be Requiem anyway so I'm very unlikely to try.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LordAbaddon posted:

Isnt that just the Strigoi vampires from Warhammer Fantasy?

Yes, with an added side of 'THINGS WERE BETTER IN MY DAY (that I almost certainly wasn't around for)'

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

An interesting idea to go with that - vampires incapable of non-consentual feeding on conscious people. If you need a justification the steroids released during high-stress situations encourage clotting, so any vampire that tries that sort of thing is going to risk giving themselves a stroke or losing a limb.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

iZombie is a loving good show.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

iZombie is a loving good show.

iZombie is a start, but what I'm aiming for here is to make the undead as unsexy as possible, and iZombie does not do that.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If I was writing a vampire game from scratch it'd probably draw heavily from Tim Powers's The Stress of Her Regard and also not be playable by human beings.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Somebody ran an all Nagaraja game on the old White Wolf forums and it wound up kind of like what you describe. Their game seemed awesome, so I think you're onto something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lost_Heretic posted:

Somebody ran an all Nagaraja game on the old White Wolf forums and it wound up kind of like what you describe. Their game seemed awesome, so I think you're onto something.

I made a Nagaraja deck in the card game. It was all about using Auspex and Dominate to redirect attacks towards my prey and then using Necromancy to land the finishing blow.

I liked the Nagaraja.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I made a Nagaraja deck in the card game. It was all about using Auspex and Dominate to redirect attacks towards my prey and then using Necromancy to land the finishing blow.

I liked the Nagaraja.

I miss V:tES.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The Nagaraja are <3

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I wonder if you could do a Vampire game in the Blindsight universe, the world seems to be full of conflict as a backdrop.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I wonder if you could do a Vampire game in the Blindsight universe, the world seems to be full of conflict as a backdrop.

Vampires in Blindsight are pretty different from the RPG-standard and are literally super-autists, though, so you'd probably have to change that or cut it out.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Blindsight would be an interesting setting to play in, but Blindsight-Vampires wouldn't really be playable, since they lack consciousness.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I...well.

This is certainly a way to talk about your game you want to sell to people who might play RPGs.

...Not a good one, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UMf8SgSH5A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
What in God's name is going on with that collar? :psyduck: