Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So will AT&T do anything to match Verizon's new unlimited plan? It looks really tempting right now and might be the thing that finally gets me to leave / drop my grandfathered unlimited data.

I had no idea this existed.

Might have to switch when the iPhone 8 comes out.

(I'd do it now, but of course AT&T iPhones 7 are not compatible with Verizon.)

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I would imagine you'll see a response to Verizon's unlimited plan from the other three big carriers by the end of the week.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Endless Mike posted:

I had no idea this existed.
It just went live about five hours ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That explains it! Yeah, it does make sense that AT&T will announce something shortly.

Still, Verizon is a bit better around here than AT&T, so I might still consider switching.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

(I'd do it now, but of course AT&T iPhones 7 are not compatible with Verizon.)

Yeah, what's up with this? I thought iPhone models now were pretty much open to all networks. I got mine through the AUP (which says you can pretty much switch carrier whenever) but Verizon is saying my device is not compatible.

I'll probably look into it this week while I wait to see what AT&T does. It'll be loving hilarious to see them have to scramble to put an unlimited plan in place after raising the grandfathered plans again this month.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
AT&T does have an unlimited plan available now; you just have to have Uverse TV or DirecTV service to buy it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah, what's up with this? I thought iPhone models now were pretty much open to all networks. I got mine through the AUP (which says you can pretty much switch carrier whenever) but Verizon is saying my device is not compatible.

I'll probably look into it this week while I wait to see what AT&T does. It'll be loving hilarious to see them have to scramble to put an unlimited plan in place after raising the grandfathered plans again this month.
Short version: for the iPhone 7, Apple switched the radios on the GSM models to Intel stuff that doesn't have the CDMA garbage on it. Verizon and Sprint continue to use Qualcomm. As far as I'm aware, Verizon models will work on AT&T, but not the other way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Short version: for the iPhone 7, Apple switched the radios on the GSM models to Intel stuff that doesn't have the CDMA garbage on it. Verizon and Sprint continue to use Qualcomm. As far as I'm aware, Verizon models will work on AT&T, but not the other way.

That's... kinda dumb. I can't imagine Apple would switch the device if I'm planning to switch carriers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably not!

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Endless Mike posted:

A lot of third party retailers (ie best buy) just stock the 1661, which is the Qualcomm, since it works on all major carriers, it's easier to just stock one phone, rather than having to keep track of 2 or three models. So if you got it from somewhere that wasn't a carrier store, you may be able to bring it over. Check the model number. You might have to factory reset it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He has Apple Upgrade Program (as do I), so he got it from Apple, in which case, he got the GSM version since he's on AT&T.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So ATT answered back. Unlimited data (throttle after 22GB). $180 for 4 lines. Does anyone know how much it is per line after 4 if you can even add more?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jose Oquendo posted:

So ATT answered back. Unlimited data (throttle after 22GB). $180 for 4 lines. Does anyone know how much it is per line after 4 if you can even add more?

Appears that it doesn't include hotspot data. Verizon still wins on this if you want to pay extra versus TMobile and Sprint for better coverage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's... an incredible lovely attempt at answering back.

It's $100 for a single line and it, $40 per additional line (4th one is "free") and it doesn't include tethering. Not even sure you can add tethering.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's... an incredible lovely attempt at answering back.

It's $100 for a single line and it, $40 per additional line (4th one is "free") and it doesn't include tethering. Not even sure you can add tethering.

ATT has blatantly said they aren't going after low revenue customers or trying to retain low revenue customers. Surprise surprise, ATT is bleeding customers to the other 3 carriers at a higher rate.

ATT is also in the middle of laying off staff, cutting commission down, and rumored to be shutting down stores (the stores I can understand, they have too many). I've seen ATT constantly churn employees by just grilling them down (me included). I am very happy to see them struggle.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The more I read about it the less I like it so I'm stuck with my grandfathered plan at least until the next iPhone comes out at which point I'll be able to switch to Verizon.

Unless they change poo poo again before then.

(all I want is tethering, drat it).

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Man, 100 bucks for unlimited that throttle at 22gb? MORE than verizon?

gently caress ATT. Moving to T Mobile today.

Duckman2008 posted:

ATT has blatantly said they aren't going after low revenue customers or trying to retain low revenue customers. Surprise surprise, ATT is bleeding customers to the other 3 carriers at a higher rate.

Well, they can now live without my low revenue post-paid account.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 17, 2017

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
AT&T has some balls. gently caress that poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ima switch to Verizon when the next iPhone comes out.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Endless Mike posted:

Ima switch to Verizon when the next iPhone comes out.

I think that's what a lot of people are thinking, myself included. I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan through AT&T but gently caress them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have the 8 GB plan and unlimited in Verizon will end up slightly more and I'm cool with that

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I guess we can never change our plan because we have the old $15 per phone charge rather than the current $20. Since we have six phones, that's $30 right there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AT&T announced actual unlimited plans (with tethering) but they're still the worst of the bunch compared to the rest.

I switched to T-Mobile this weekend and with their 20% discount for new accounts I'm going to be paying almost $40 less than I am now for unlimited everything AND tethering.

So long and thanks for all the fish, AT&T.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
edit:

never mind, I was looking at info on the new deals regarding combined DirecTV/unlimited data.

nimper fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 27, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just got an email about at&t's "new" unlimited plan (throttled after 22gb) for $90/month (after autopay and paperless billing) and it included 10gb /month hotspot.

There's also an unlimited choice plan for 60/month, but lower speeds I guess.

No idea how it compares to other plans though-I think it said it launches march 2nd.

I'd be interested to see how many current grandfathered plan compares to the choice plan, because that could save me about $25/month-not sure how much slower than download/upload speeds are, if any.

nwin fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 28, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Just got an email about at&t's "new" unlimited plan (throttled after 22gb) for $90/month (after autopay and paperless billing) and it included 10gb /month hotspot.

There's also an unlimited choice plan for 60/month, but lower speeds I guess.

No idea how it compares to other plans though-I think it said it launches march 2nd.

I'd be interested to see how many current grandfathered plan compares to the choice plan, because that could save me about $25/month-not sure how much slower than download/upload speeds are, if any.

The cheap one is essentially 3G speeds, so you're going back to data speeds circa 2011.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gently caress-no thanks then.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
OK, am I missing something?

Current Plan:

$100 a month for 20GB
$15 for phone
$10 for Tablet
Total: $125

Unlimited Plan:
$90 for phone
$20 for tablet
=$110

Plus 20 GB of tethering between my phone and tablet and a $25 video credit.

So for $5 less each month I get unlimited data on my phone and tablet, 20 gigs of tethering, and DirecTV Now.

I get that switching to T-Mobile would be even cheaper but I am happy with AT&T, it's bundled with my U-Verse internet and they are going to activate my gigabit fiber in a few weeks so might even use the video credit and get cable again depending on the bundle price they give me for TV, internet and cell before the $25 credit.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I just had an old iphone activated for my dear old dad. In the settings I notice there is an "AT&T Enterprise" provisioning profile. It expires a year from today.

Is this something it is safe for me to remove or is it needed to operate on the AT&T network?

Also, not an AT&T specific question, but this is an iphone 5 and it seems to have iOS version 7.1.2. It wants to update to 10.2.1. Should I let it do this or is it going to make the device slow as dirt? We have an ipad which was given to us by the parents because it became unbearably slow to use after a major iOS update... I don't want to do the same thing here. All the old geezer cares about is being able to make a call in an emergency so I am sure he will never notice if the phone is running an old iOS.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I think the AT&T update from last night inadvertently bricked my Android phone? After I plugged in my phone to charge last night, it turned off overnight, which typically only happens from a driver update. When I tried to use my phone this morning, I was getting ungodly static through both the phone speaker and over bluetooth, both in normal use and Safe Mode. When I got to work, I said gently caress it, I have everything I need backed up, let's just factory reset and eliminate any possibility of a software issue. My phone needed one anyway. I go through and do that, and now my phone has "dm-verity verification failed" and won't boot past the initial Samsung Galaxy S6 logo screen. Either it shows once then turns off again or it loops on that. I've never messed with any sort of custom firmware or rooting, it was just stock rear end Android. Is there anything else that could have caused this to happen, and am I just poo poo out of luck?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Worst case scenario, if your local best buy has a Samsung rep, they have the tools to reflash your stock firmware for free. They upgraded my s7 to nougat and I love it.

Or, if it is bricked, they have some decent deals on unlocked phones this week. Or you can use any go phone on your account too,so you can get a j3 or something if you want to wait a few weeks for the s8 to come out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh I didn't know wifi calling was a thing until I got a prompt when a call dropped. Is there any reason not to use it? So as long as it's to a domestic number I can really call and send texts through my phone as long as I have wifi? Even if i'm out of the countrt? (iPhone 7 btw)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Oh I didn't know wifi calling was a thing until I got a prompt when a call dropped. Is there any reason not to use it? So as long as it's to a domestic number I can really call and send texts through my phone as long as I have wifi? Even if i'm out of the countrt? (iPhone 7 btw)

Nope it's fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey I noticed the SIM card the store gave my mom for her phone is only going to "4G". Not LTE. I've had that problem before when the store gives me new SIM cards. Can I type in some codes into the phone to reprovision it or whatever? It's a Lumia 650, shouldn't have any difficulty with AT&T LTE.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
If I sold my current iPhone 6S and got an off-contract SE, I'd still have to pay a certain amount of monthly charges to "pay it off" right? No easy way around this?

I regret not getting an off contract SE. That phone's dead cheap and reliable for what it's worth.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cromlech posted:

If I sold my current iPhone 6S and got an off-contract SE, I'd still have to pay a certain amount of monthly charges to "pay it off" right? No easy way around this?

I regret not getting an off contract SE. That phone's dead cheap and reliable for what it's worth.

Correct, unless you're cool screwing the person you're selling the iPhone 6s to and killing your AT&T service. Most sale places like Swappa, etc. require that there be no outstanding financial obligations on the phone, but in reality all that really does is prevent you from getting the phone unlocked.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I've had the phone guy out 3 times to fix a ground loop hum on our land line. We use it for our business and I refuse to use a cell connection for business. Now they are trying to force us to get a digital phone. I use cable for internet. Is this something that will ride on my internet or is it separate? I move a ton of poo poo on our connection and I can see it loving with our voice connection. I'm having flashbacks to Vonage. That loving sucked. Is this what I think it is or is it something different?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The old $30 unlimited data plan is now $40, plus $5 for 200 txt/mo.

Looks like it makes more sense to switch over to the current $65 "unlimited" data plan.

That shouldn't affect my trade-in credit that gave me a "free" iPhone 7, right?

edit: N/m, Unlimited Choice limits you to 3Mbps data normally, 480p video, and that's before they throttle you after 22GB. Guess I'll stick with my old plan and pay the extra $5/mo compared to the 6GB plan.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 21, 2017

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
480p just means "we throttle the gently caress out of video" so if you're watching stuff that doesn't scale, well, gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
My wife and I are moving back into our house soon and I'm curious about going all in with ATT. The house was wired for gigabit fiber while we were gone so I'm thinking something like this:

-100Mb Internet
-Her iPhone, and maybe an iPad on a data plan
-DirecTV or UVerse TV

I can't seem to bundle all of this on the ATT website, will I have to go into a store to get all of this set up? My wife is currently on Verizon so we would be porting in.

edit: I like the idea of having one bill for everything. We were DirecTV customers before so I'm ok with DirecTV service.