Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There could be balance problems with this, but I really wish your colonial nations cared more about expanding and maybe even liked you more for conquering provinces for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

There could be balance problems with this, but I really wish your colonial nations cared more about expanding and maybe even liked you more for conquering provinces for them.

I think they do like you for giving them provinces? They don't seem to care when you grant them a claim but if you take a province yourself and then grant it to them they get a relations bonus based on its development (similar to the bonus you get if you develop one of their provinces).

As a vassal I don't think they are allowed to expand on their own, you have to tell them to declare a colonial war. With unclaimed territory they will only colonize within their own colonial region. I'm not sure what happens if you grant them territory from another region and if they'll start colonizing into that or not.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think they do like you for giving them provinces? They don't seem to care when you grant them a claim but if you take a province yourself and then grant it to them they get a relations bonus based on its development (similar to the bonus you get if you develop one of their provinces).

What I was thinking of is when you conquer provinces for them, transferring the provinces in the peace deal directly from the enemy to your CN. Might be wrong but I don't remember any relations or trust bonus in that case.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Colonial AI is so weird. My colonial Mexico declared war on French Mexico twice and then "French" Mexico after France had been inherited by Mega-Castile, and every time I thought I was going to get sucked into a hell war, and every time they just took a bunch of provinces and peaced out on their own. But then they ignored the three province low tech natives sitting on their borders the whole game.

Which reminds me of how much it annoys me that Castile inherits France and then spends 200 years ignoring independent, unallied, 4 province Aragon and never forms Spain. :negative:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fun fact: Colonial Nation's can colonize into other colonial areas of their area is full (or blocked off I guess). In a recent game as Bengal I colonized Allahska and filled the whole (tiny) region, so they started colonizing into the California zone in their own.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Fun fact: Colonial Nation's can colonize into other colonial areas of their area is full (or blocked off I guess). In a recent game as Bengal I colonized Allahska and filled the whole (tiny) region, so they started colonizing into the California zone in their own.

They go so slow though. You used to be able to sell provinces to colonial nations to neaten borders or whatever but that's limited now to like two provinces from their official border now. Annoying, but someone must have found some exploit.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fintilgin posted:

They go so slow though. You used to be able to sell provinces to colonial nations to neaten borders or whatever but that's limited now to like two provinces from their official border now. Annoying, but someone must have found some exploit.

Uh, I saw some Paradox AAR recently where the guy fed almost all of America to a single CN and then did 'release and play as nation' so maybe there's still a way of doing this?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really know much about EU4, so I'd like to ask: what mechanics are in place that would result in/simulate colonies trying to break free of their Old World masters, and how well does this tend to work out in practice?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't really know much about EU4, so I'd like to ask: what mechanics are in place that would result in/simulate colonies trying to break free of their Old World masters, and how well does this tend to work out in practice?

All subjects (including colonial nations) have what's called a "liberty desire" towards their overlord. Liberty desire increases based on how strong the subject is compared to the overlord, whether the overlord has done anything (like raising taxes) to piss off the subject, whether there's anyone supporting the subject's independence, and so on. If it's high enough, the subject can declare a war of independence against their overlord to break free and become an autonomous nation.

In practice, the AI is good enough at keeping liberty desire down that it mostly doesn't really come up unless the player decides to try and force the issue. The big exception being the Kalmar Union which is in place at the start of the game, which somewhat often ends up with Sweden declaring an independence war.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 21, 2017

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Old world nations that colonize the new world split off colonial nations as vassals once they hit 5 provinces in a colonial region. The colonial nations provide tariffs to the overlord which can be adjusted for a cost of liberty desire for the subject. If the liberty desire gets too high the subject gets a large opinion penalty and is able to revolt. Usually it takes lots of instability in the overlord for there to be a revolt.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Cantorsdust posted:

So I purchased Realpolitiks today. I'll do a write up later, but I wanted to share a loading screen that I hadn't seen spread around yet:

I've only seen this one and the lounging Putin. If there are more good pictures, please someone post them all!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Trogdos! posted:

I've only seen this one and the lounging Putin. If there are more good pictures, please someone post them all!

Merkel is apparently playing so badly that Germany reverted to the pre re-unification borders.

Anyway, I am liking it. It looks like a Paradox game, but does play a lot differently, and you can genuinely join the highest scoring nations as a small, but developed one, though doing that with say, Solomon Islands takes a lot more time than as Switzerland or Taiwan. You guide inner development primarily through Projects, which might be incompatible with one another (Nuclear Power, Green Energy and Fossil Fuels focuses, for example) and also have maintenance costs, so it is possible to disable universal education if that becomes too expensive for you (but I wouldn't count on it, like most grand strategy games you will usually have more money than you can expend in the mid-game onwards). Projects and events also change your values for Interventionism (how much the government interferes in the economy), Personal Control (how much freedom people have) and Militarism (how jingo you are), these in turn are added together to determine if you are a democracy, authoritarian state or totalitarian. You have some leeway, so it is possible to be a communist democracy if you focus on Interventionism, but keep low scores on the other two; likewise you can have a jingoist democracy with high militarism, but a laissez-faire attitude to the other areas, combine things and democracy will be out of the window though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Merkel is apparently playing so badly that Germany reverted to the pre re-unification borders.

Anyway, I am liking it. It looks like a Paradox game, but does play a lot differently, and you can genuinely join the highest scoring nations as a small, but developed one, though doing that with say, Solomon Islands takes a lot more time than as Switzerland or Taiwan. You guide inner development primarily through Projects, which might be incompatible with one another (Nuclear Power, Green Energy and Fossil Fuels focuses, for example) and also have maintenance costs, so it is possible to disable universal education if that becomes too expensive for you (but I wouldn't count on it, like most grand strategy games you will usually have more money than you can expend in the mid-game onwards). Projects and events also change your values for Interventionism (how much the government interferes in the economy), Personal Control (how much freedom people have) and Militarism (how jingo you are), these in turn are added together to determine if you are a democracy, authoritarian state or totalitarian. You have some leeway, so it is possible to be a communist democracy if you focus on Interventionism, but keep low scores on the other two; likewise you can have a jingoist democracy with high militarism, but a laissez-faire attitude to the other areas, combine things and democracy will be out of the window though.

Can I focus on going tall and then use my tech lead to blob all over the place? And are those events completely sandbox-y or is there national flavor?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GrossMurpel posted:

Can I focus on going tall and then use my tech lead to blob all over the place? And are those events completely sandbox-y or is there national flavor?

My friend played Taiwan and then conquered all of China, but it took him several decades and dominance of the financial market before getting to that point. There are a few national events (like Germany forgiving or demanding payment of Greek debt, the Baltic States uniting or tensions over the North Pole between Denmark, Russia and the US), but it is mostly sandboxy. There is a 2020 scenario set after a collapse of NATO, EU and other international bodies other than the UN, though I wouldn't read anything political in that, it is just a gameplay contrivance to allow for a free for all. The second scenario is 2070 after a World War 3, and then there is a 2220 scenario which is complete fantasy, featuring nations such as Animeland, the Roman Empire and Albion.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
What happened to those weekend realpolitik trip reports, did ya'll have so much fun that you forgot about it

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
So I've played a bunch of CK2 and EUIV and I find myself looking at Hearts of Iron IV on Steam, should I take the dive? It looks like more of that Paradox goodness that I am itching for but I'm a little worried about all the complaints I see about the AI, I bounced off Civ VI not too long ago because of AI issues.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's honestly hard to tell. I've seen a lot of people complain about the AI not covering fronts and just smashing through their lines, but I've never actually experienced that myself after the first patch. It seems to be competent enough, it can hold a line, push, flank with naval invasions and tries to encircle any of your divisions that try to break through their lines. It does the job. :shrug:

The major issues with ai are really with the air game, where it just floods certain zones and leaves others completely undefended.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

What happened to those weekend realpolitik trip reports, did ya'll have so much fun that you forgot about it

its a pretty drat solid game, has some jank to it, and it let me fight off an alien invasion so I give it a solid 7/10

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Jamsque posted:

So I've played a bunch of CK2 and EUIV and I find myself looking at Hearts of Iron IV on Steam, should I take the dive? It looks like more of that Paradox goodness that I am itching for but I'm a little worried about all the complaints I see about the AI, I bounced off Civ VI not too long ago because of AI issues.

I'd wait until the next big DLC/sale, unless you have money to spend. It's a fun game (I've put ~380 hours into it) but it's in a much less developed state than CK2 or EU4.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
darkest hour is better than hoi4

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

corn in the bible posted:

darkest hour is better than hoi4

Lol no

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Question: I have a (presumably not unique) bug in HOI4 and other Paradox games where I'm playing at 4k and 200% UI and popup tooltips stop appearing for objects halfway down the screen or further.

Is this a known thing, is there a fix, if not where would be the best place to drop info on the Paradox forums to help get fixes?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There's a new subforum on the Paradox forums for an upcoming game, so we might be getting some news soon :toot:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
At first I got really excited then I remembered they like to do weeks of maddening teasers before the announcement.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Koramei posted:

There's a new subforum on the Paradox forums for an upcoming game, so we might be getting some news soon :toot:

pds game or are they just publishing it? Cause VICKY 3 WOOOO THE IMPERIALISM MUST FLOW

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think they only do teasers on their forums for PDS games.

Paradoxcon is mid-May, hope we don't have to wait that long.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 28, 2017

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
It's Svea Rike 4: Crown of the North 2

Realtalk it's likely either Victoria 3 or Rome 2. Johan has said something to the effect that they are happy with the number of franchises for now.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

They could always pull a wild card and announce CK3.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Agean90 posted:

pds game or are they just publishing it? Cause VICKY 3 WOOOO THE IMPERIALISM MUST FLOW

I really hope it's not Vicky 3 or I'm going to be waiting ages for stage 3 of my megacampaign :negative:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Or do something really unexpected and we get Europa Universalis V hype.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Pretty hyped for Sengoku 2.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm pulling for Rome 2. Or the MOM to Stellaris' MOO.

Assuming they announce it at GDC where they're all off having fun we won't have long to wait.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Does anyone ever announce games at GDC? I thought it was more a professional thing than an advertising thing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sindai posted:

Does anyone ever announce games at GDC? I thought it was more a professional thing than an advertising thing.

I didn't realize that when I posted.

More likely we'll have to wait for PDXCON in a couple weeks. :smith:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Please release good games again, Paradox. TIA.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

My aunt works at Paradox and it's gonna be a final expansion for EU2

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

My aunt works at Paradox and it's gonna be a final expansion for EU2

BRB firing your aunt for breaking NDA.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Morholt posted:

Realtalk it's likely either Victoria 3 or Rome 2. Johan has said something to the effect that they are happy with the number of franchises for now.
They might be happy with the number, but not the franchises! The EU series to be rolled into the CK series, leaving room for their dinosaur dating sim.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wiz posted:

BRB firing your aunt for breaking NDA.

the power's gone to his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I will continue to hold out hope for my dream half-Vicky half-EU 1776-1836 Age of Revolutions game.